Wife Doesn't Want me to Talk About Symptoms Anymore

[bo...]

For me, this has gone on so long, primarily the depression and anger and no joy and obsessive, intrusive thoughts, that I have mostly stopped talking about it and I feel more isolated than ever. At nearly 13 months, it's sad that I can't just forget about all this. A lot of the psychosis of the c/t is gone now but I'm just left with a depressed hollowness and stuck in my own thoughts constantly. I'm even running out of energy to post on this forum anymore because I just ask the same questions over and over and say the same things. Who are we supposed to talk to?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [bo...]

• [Br...]

• [ke...]

• [St...]

Hello, I am currently at .109 mg clonazepam, I just got married 4 months ago, it’s been difficult for me to have an open sex life with my husband since I DON’t want to get pregnant....we have to use a condom and to be honest I know he doesn’t like it. It brings me down so much sometimes I avoid having sex. He is very supportive..and I am struggling right now with muscle tightness and knee swelling so it makes everything phyisical more difficult....I get depressed over this a lot.

Oh and he doesn’t like me talking all the time about how bad i feel.

Much love

Blossom

Ya boomboxy...I know I may have a long haul ahead of me. I am early and already very tired. Sounds like your sxs are the brutal mental battles that wear me out more than physical.  And I still have plenty of physical going on.  In order to prepare for the long haul, I am reading material that supports quieting the mind and learning to stay in the stillness.  We choose our thoughts.  This is so much harder to do than let's say physical exercise.  I have to practice throughout my chaotic mental day...and it is strange and uncomfortable.  The chatter in my head sets off all sorts of fear based anxiety and despair.  I recognize it now and hope to master it in the next year or so.  Hang in there.

It’s not a popular belief but I think talking about symptoms makes it worse and distraction, thinking about what’s happening to you as little as possible helps the most as your idiot brain can’t do two things at once. Our loved ones know we're suffering and they can’t really understand, particularly the symptom that says though shall not think or speak about anything but your symptoms. As someone currently doing better I can tell you that I don’t want to endlessly hear about misery and neither does anyone else not in it. It’s too hard. They have to live too. If you can, it will only do you good to fake it till you make it.

This is a difficult situation. We are so sad, and really need to talk. But at the same time, I don't want to complain too much, and scare away my family and friends. It's hard to know, where the limit goes. 

Because the recovery is not linear, it can cause misunderstanding. "Window" and "wave" are difficult to explain, and they have forgotten soon. So if I don't complain, they are so happy,"you are healthy soon, why not a bike ride in the sunshine?" Do you remember, when Sideshow Bob (Simpson) is getting creeps?

So we use a pain scale, 1-10. When my dearest is coming home, he's always asking how I'm feeling. Then I mention this figure. Then we are talking about this, but just for a few minutes. I'm so tired of myself, and want to talk about anything else. And then I'm feeling better, when I avoid "poisoned" thoughts.

I'm also writing a diary about all my feelings.

Keagan, did you take one? Are you better now?

I took 2, Cymbalta and Remeron at high doses, initiated during my hospitalization. It helped a ton. I got off the Remeron first because it was making me fat and it was easy to come off of. I dropped my Cymbalta over maybe 1.5 years, it was a bit hard to discontinue, but childs play compared to the benzos. And yes I am totally better for several years.

It’s not a popular belief but I think talking about symptoms makes it worse and distraction, thinking about what’s happening to you as little as possible helps the most as your idiot brain can’t do two things at once. Our loved ones know we're suffering and they can’t really understand, particularly the symptom that says though shall not think or speak about anything but your symptoms. As someone currently doing better I can tell you that I don’t want to endlessly hear about misery and neither does anyone else not in it. It’s too hard. They have to live too. If you can, it will only do you good to fake it till you make it.

I totally agree with ALL of the above. Well stated!!!