Has anyone sued their doctor for negligence?

[mo...]

We don’t need to be anti-doctor, anti-psychiatry or anti-medicine to discuss the facts... so it’s really alright. The truth speaks for itself and there are ways to continue to talk about that.

Also, I don’t see how it is possible not to see how the system is built on sales by monster corporations with no serious interest in morality or ethics. Psychiatrists, doctors and prescriptions are part of the system.

To say there isn’t a problem here and an epidemic of potentially much greater proportion that has any accurate representation would be insane.

Let us respect the rules of benzobuddies for liability purposes (which would protect the site)  and so we don’t get silenced or banned, but the evidence of our lives, our stories and what I feel has to be a much higher number of people affected by this than any of us has even guessed, speaks for itself.

We will not be silenced!

Whether it is the “As Prescribed” documentary, a culmination of continued efforts or something else that is the final catalyst for it, our story will be heard.

It is quite possible to continue the discussion and abide by the rules.

What a horrific shame that the innocent are continually silenced about this plague which has it’s undeniably evil talons and greedy roots in healthcare systems across the globe and is maiming it’s victims who have no power for recourse. What a hideous monstrosity of the very definition of power corrupted, which is damaging and destroying lives. Unchecked wreckage that has numerous defenders who have been indoctrinated and bought into it’s insidious deceptions and propaganda.

The laws of any country should protect all of it’s citizens, not a select group of the population in a particular field.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Rx...]

• [Lo...]

• [mo...]

• [li...]

I know that the stigma of the addiction language and misinformation around benzodiazepines has influenced my own doctor and previous providers in how they were treating me. I was told by one practicioner that a "a benzo is a benzo. They are all the same" when I asked for help to get off of Ativan via Valium. Then that same provider had told me that "I shouldn't have all these problems withdrawing, since the most dangerous of all of them is Xanax". Then, I was offered Ambien by the same provider for sleep (refused it), and was also offered Seroquel, which I didn't want to take because I had no history of psychosis. The original provider had told me to "just stop taking my ativan" and that "panic attacks are caused by not breathing properly, so that I should just focus on my breath". I was also told by another provider to exercise in the morning while in the worst benzo withdrawal, and was even told by him to drive to the appointment next time I got there, even though I was clearly unfit to drive at the time, and didn't drive to it.

I was also told by my former doctor (a general practicioner) that the fault lies with "those psychiatrists that prescribe benzodiazepines irresponsibly.". Then I was told by my current psychiatrist that it was the general practicioners who overprescribed these medications to people, not psychiatrists.

While calling different mental health lines, I was told that it is "people with addictive personalities that end up on long-term benzos". Also, when a psychologist had a session with me two years ago, I said "I didn't know that this was even possible", to this she said "Well, now you know!".

When I asked my former therapist in desperation why this is allowed to happen, she said "It happens because of money and profits". When I asked a former acquaintance who had worked for a pharmaceutical company, she said "It's because of the doctors overprescribing benzodiazepines."

Had I listened to all of the advice I'd been given by my current doctor and my previous doctors, I would have most likely been dead. And, I am rightfully angry.

Not completely true. Especially the American jury system can give a victim recourse. Much better than when doctors just police themselves.

If the law was violated and there is proof, one shoudl stand a chance in such a system.

It is 100% true. I have suffered from 8 years of symptoms that could just as easily have been caused by the slip of a scalpel during surgery, and if they were caused by that kind of physical negligence I would have recourse, but since my issues were caused by a commonly prescribed prescription drug and the damage is not able to be proven I am out of luck.

5 of the Most Deadly Prescription Drugs

https://www.verywellmind.com/most-deadly-prescription-drugs-4083005

Benzodiazepines

Benzodiazepines are a group of tranquilizer drugs, which have been prescribed for a variety of conditions in particular anxiety and insomnia. These drugs include commonly known medications, such as alprazolam (Xanax), chlordiazepoxide (Librium), diazepam (Valium) and lorazepam (Ativan), as well as clonazepam (Klonopin), oxazepam (Serax), and temazepam (Restoril). Unfortunately for those who take them for more than a very short time, dependence can develop, with a potentially nasty withdrawal syndrome that can be life-threatening. Although the problems with benzodiazepines have been well known for years, prescriptions for these drugs have increased, and deaths from benzodiazepine overdose have increased even more sharply.

5 of the Most Deadly Prescription Drugs

https://www.verywellmind.com/most-deadly-prescription-drugs-4083005

Benzodiazepines

Benzodiazepines are a group of tranquilizer drugs, which have been prescribed for a variety of conditions in particular anxiety and insomnia. These drugs include commonly known medications, such as alprazolam (Xanax), chlordiazepoxide (Librium), diazepam (Valium) and lorazepam (Ativan), as well as clonazepam (Klonopin), oxazepam (Serax), and temazepam (Restoril). Unfortunately for those who take them for more than a very short time, dependence can develop, with a potentially nasty withdrawal syndrome that can be life-threatening. Although the problems with benzodiazepines have been well known for years, prescriptions for these drugs have increased, and deaths from benzodiazepine overdose have increased even more sharply.

My sleep doctor kept insisting that the drugs were "safe" and denied that they caused my problems. He was much more concerned about protecting the drugs than helping me. Seems to be a common theme. But I don't really see any possible definition of the word "safe" that fits benzos. They can kill you if you take too much and they can kill you if you stop taking them suddenly, and if you keep taking them as prescribed they can ruin your life. They increase the probability of a car accident and they decrease the quality of your sleep. They even increase the probability you'll commit murder, so they are not only a danger to the user, but to the population at large. For a doctor to call these drugs safe to protect them from unhappy patients who were injured is the height of absurdity and a total perversion of the original ethos of medicine. It's a complete disgrace.

I know nothing of the Montagu case previously mentioned here.

In re to contingency fees previously mentioned here, many malpractice attorneys in the U.S. use contingency fees.  It depends on the attorney.  For that matter, one cannot entirely rule out pro bono as well (unlikely chance or not).

I've mentioned previously in this thread why I would not involve myself in such litigation here in the U.S. knowing what I know of malpractice law having worked as a paralegal assisting with such cases.  Again, I will not dissuade anyone nor will I persuade anyone in re to pursuing such litigation knowing what I know.  I do applaud anyone who fights the good fight to the best of their ability, however, whether it be via litigation, making formal complaints, advocacy, activism, or educating others.  It all matters. 

I've mentioned previously in this thread why I would not involve myself in such litigation here in the U.S. knowing what I know of malpractice law having worked as a paralegal assisting with such cases.  Again, I will not dissuade anyone nor will I persuade anyone in re to pursuing such litigation knowing what I know.  I do applaud anyone who fights the good fight to the best of their ability, however, whether it be via litigation, making formal complaints, advocacy, activism, or educating others.  It all matters.

I agree. I just think that anyone who is thinking about going this route should think long and hard about their reasons for doing it, what the likely outcome would be and if there might be something else they could do that would be more effective at achieving their goals.

I agree. I just think that anyone who is thinking about going this route should think long and hard about their reasons for doing it, what the likely outcome would be and if there might be something else they could do that would be more effective at achieving their goals.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, FloridaGuy