Has anyone sued their doctor for negligence?

[mo...]

In the doctor-patient relationship, I don't think a patient can "clearly understand the downside of benzo" and I don't believe that's a correct statement for you right now either.  We're finding out more and more with all the research that's coming out.

LOL!

How can anyone read this wall of horror stories called benzo buddies  and not "clearly understand the downside of benzo"? ::)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Rx...]

• [Lo...]

• [mo...]

• [li...]

In the doctor-patient relationship, I don't think a patient can "clearly understand the downside of benzo" and I don't believe that's a correct statement for you right now either.  We're finding out more and more with all the research that's coming out.

LOL!

How can anyone read this wall of horror stories called benzo buddies  and not "clearly understand the downside of benzo"? ::)

You think things are clear from reading benzo buddies??  :idiot:

As a patient you can’t always “clearly” understand what the drugs are going to you.

Loraz - Thank you for posting those excerpts from a book published in 1994!  I am just so pissed that no one is doing anything about this well documented (but not well known) medical malpractice. So be it if I kicked get off BB for saying so.  I am suffering like many of us and could quite possibly lose my marriage and family over this.

Thanks, LeslieJ. I am sorry that you are suffering so much. Yes, early to mid 90's were a good time for the society to bid adieu with the benzodiazepine tranquilizer class of prescription drugs and leave them in history books where they belonged by not initiating any new prescriptions and helping the iatrogenically ill on the repeat prescriptions. Apparently that didn't happen. Instead, the problem got even more widespread. I like that book too, and it's amazing to me how the author had to be so incredibly careful with the language regarding benzodiazepines in order not to expose himself to excessive liability.

He is a PhD psychologist and he had to write it in a way that he wouldn't compromise his ability to work in his field and wouldn't draw ire from doctors and psychiatrists out there. God, how I wished I found a psychologist in my younger years who understood the essence of those prescriptions. Unfortunately, one would probably have to find a PhD level psychotherapist, but these folks' sessions cost $$$$ and are often not covered by the insurance and few can afford them.

The people who understood this problem in the 80's and 90's and had nothing to lose (reputation, career, health, life) by speaking out but chose not to speak out anyway have blood on their hands as far as I am concerned. There, I said it.

My dr was totally negligent and guilty of extreme malpractice on all these levels :-

1. Prescribed me V for muscle spasm for 6 weeks prior to spinal surgery - Negligent because there were so many other less addictive drugs that could have been prescribed and the prescription was outside the therapeutic guidelines of 2-4 weeks.

2. Told me that they were non addictive at such a "low dose/short duration" - Negligent because it has been known for 40  years at least that V is addictive.

3. Did not inform me of any of the dangers asociated with such a class of drug - Negligent, it is a dr's duty to make the patient informed of all potential side effects and consequences of any drug or procedure.

4. Did not how to taper me off safely, in fact did it so quickly I had a stroke (validated by  the neurologist in the hospital) - Negligent, if a dr doesn't know how to help a patient safely taper then they should not be prescribing.

5. When my BP was as high as 220/140 for days prior to the stroke I was told to "tough it out" - Negligence because a dr has a duty of care to assist a patient in that much physiological distress and danger, this particular dr did not even take my BP, 5 days later i had a stroke.

This dr's NEGLIGENCE caused me almost to lose my life, to be severely disabled and needing rehabilitation for a number of months whilst still going through BWD (thankfully i have recovered).

This dr's NEGLIGENCE has caused me to have to take a powerful anticoagulant for the rest of my life which has ramifications if i ever need to take other medications or am involved in an accident or need further surgery.

I was completely healthy before taking this evil poison, this dr's NEGLIGENCE has put me and my family through 18 months of sheer hell on earth with no accountability taken.

I guess i did derive a certain "benefit" for the 6 weeks i took this poison but the consequences have far outweighed any of that benefit, especially as mentioned, another more appropriate drug could have and should have been given. I did not have the choice to continue taking it as it was no longer needed as the surgery was a complete success.

Will i take legal action for malpractice, before this thread i used to think No, i don't want the stress, but now i'm not so sure. What legal action would do for me would be to ask this dr to be accountable for her inappropriate prescribing and the cascade of medical chaos that followed. And before someone chimes in to tell me that i "must have had prior heart issues etc" I was cleared both pre and post op for any cardiovascular disease and none whatsoever was found.

Pure and simple negligence and malpractice.

southern star, I would never chime in speculating you must have had prior heart issues.  Also, so sadly, I wish I could say you having a stroke and your other suffering surprised me.  Due to my former doctor's malpractice, I was prescribed the add on meds of Phenergan for severe chronic nausea and Propranolol for severe chronic migraines.  50 mg. Phenergan added caused severe respiratory distress which completely stopped my breathing intermittently (not *just* hyperventilating or issues breathing which are bad enough).  My severe respiratory distress was confirmed by medical professionals.  Propranolol added lowered my blood pressure to a deathly level (verified as well by a medical professional).  In short, I almost died during this ordeal on two occasions.  So, you and I were both at death's door.  Not to mention seizures I experienced, etc., etc., etc., etc.  Likewise, I had no prior conditions to explain such.  Nor am I an elderly person (another possible speculation).  Likewise, I was healthy prior as well.  Therefore, for anyone to question why we both see malpractice for what it is would be ludicrous.   

LOL!

You think things are clear from reading benzo buddies??  :idiot:

As a patient you can’t always “clearly” understand what the drugs are going to you.

I shouldn’t be flippant here and I apologize for the :idiot: emoji.  Reading about horror stories and understanding how the medication actually affects you are two completely different things.  If you don’t see your doctor often, I’d urge you to ask someone close to help observe you.

I had the gift from God feeling when I started taking the medication too.  It’s a big reason why I kept trying to make it work.

I understand you’re older.  The risk of harm goes up in your age group.  Please be careful with your intermittent level of use.

[63...]

I don't think anyone should have to go through a life threatening BWD for the Dr to be considered guilty of negligence or malpractice, it is enough for them to write the prescription imo.

Ex Damaged I'm so sorry you had that terrifying medical crisis, I don't know how you would get over that emotionally. I feel I have PTSD from mine.

...and my fundamental question remains the same (and apparently unanswered  ::) )

So did you not see an obvious, positive, therapeutic effect?  And if they did not benefit you, why did you continue to take them?

builder, nobody can turn back the hands of time even if they wanted to.  Do you mind answering what your emoji expresses?

Well, I guess it expresses a kind of confusion, or amazement!

.  If someone takes a med for 3, 4, 5, years or more, then they surely must have been getting a significant therapeutic benefit from it.  That's why they chose to continue taking it.  So the doc (and by extension the pharma company) are simply filling their appropriate role, treating the patient's condition.  How can you fault the doc for doing exactly what you hired him to do...provide a therapy to help resolve your condition.

And if you continued to take a med for months or years and was not getting any benefit, then sorry, IMO, that's on YOU.

It's quite simple.

Usually people do gain a therapeutic benefit from the drug. For how long is another question. Do people recognize adverse effects ? 'medication spellbinding'. People can continue taking it out of habit, because they see no reason to stop.

But also, sometimes people get 'stuck' on a drug. They don't take it for its therapeutic benefits, but because tapering/withdrawal is too problematic or horrific, for physical effects, mental effects, and personal situations may play a role. Don't want to lose a job ?

You withdrew from diazepam. I believe for you it was no picknick. But not everyone's experience is the same. In particular, high potency benzodiazepines tend to be much more problematic. And 10 mg diazepam was not a high dose.

'How can you fault the doc for doing exactly what you hired him to do...provide a therapy to help resolve your condition.' Sometimes docs just push drugs on unsuspecting people.

'

And if you continued to take a med for months or years and was not getting any benefit, then sorry, IMO, that's on YOU.' Back to earlier. Even if there was a benefit, that doesn't mean the benefits outweighed the risks/damage/suffering. Blaming the victim ?

Builder, people are allowed to express their opinion but my impression is that a lot of what you just wrote is close to gaslighting.

I don't think anyone should have to go through a life threatening BWD for the Dr to be considered guilty of negligence or malpractice, it is enough for them to write the prescription imo.

Ex Damaged I'm so sorry you had that terrifying medical crisis, I don't know how you would get over that emotionally. I feel I have PTSD from mine.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, southern star.  Yes, the initial prescription going beyond what is considered "safe" without any informed consent is enough, of course.  I do take into account those who may willingly take an initial benzodiazepine Rx longer than what is considered the "safe" zone being first informed of the physiological dependence aspect and dangers of stopping abruptly, i.e. terminally ill patients receiving end of life care.  Such patients most certainly deserve to be informed first as well as there are cases of incredible recovery even amongst those deemed terminally ill.  My mother was one such person.  She literally walked out of hospice. 

And thank you for your empathy.  I've overcome much suffering and trauma in my life before benzodiazepines and withdrawal.  However, I will not pretend any of this has been easy for me.  Baby steps working out of any trauma has worked for me before and it's the method I've stuck with.  You certainly have my empathy as well for all your suffering as do all here who have suffered so needlessly. 

LOL!

Cause we all know that the general public takes internet message boards very seriously when they are researching which drugs to take.

LOL!

Cause we all know that the general public takes internet message boards very seriously when they are researching which drugs to take.

Exactly. Most people from the general public go to benzobuddies immediately before they are prescribed their very first benzo and say things like "geez, I want to belong. I want to be like these people and take exactly what they take. Let me register and introduce myself, look what they're taking, then go to the doctor, get the prescription for the same thing and experience the same thing they are experiencing. I will no longer feel alone in my life this way, and I will be surrounded by a lot of medical and mental health professionals and might even get to see the insides of psychiatric wards and detox clinics and maybe even get to be special and witness the first involuntary psychiatric hold in my life. How special. 'Ever since I was a little kid, I wanted to become a benzobuddy!!' "

The longer this continues, the process of recovery, and the more time I have to think about it... the more I am convinced of the personal necessity for forgiveness.

I support anyone who is willing to persue legal action, and have thought about it many times. I think I have probably been as angry and hurt as I could have been. I feel these drugs are also responsible for the tumor that was growing in my neck and ended up being Hodgkin’s lymphoma. At the end of my taper I couldn’t turn my head because other lymph nodes were affected (they were big tumors throughout my neck and down into my chest surrounding my windpipe and upper lung area) and I also was having trouble breathing. I had to sleep propped up on a stack of pillows, it was really scary. It’s always a struggle to know whether or not I should share any of that. So from my jump date I was off to the doctor, getting sonograms, x-rays, biopsies, PET scans and then dx’d 10/2/16 and scheduled to get a port placed and then went through 6 months of “the big guns” AVBD chemo. Six hours non-stop in the chair every two weeks. It would take a week or more just to even feel at all like I could stand and bathe and speak, in-between treatments. I found studies which I feel support my theory, that was really hard to go through but the part about it that I have to live with is how much time it stole from me being able to be with my grandmother. Oh, and my dog died while I was going through all of that.

It put so much strain on my mother and I, and we had already been through so much. It seems like I should have been able to taper when I wanted to, that first time when I was 6mo. into my sobriety from alcohol.

But that is not what happened, what I described briefly and much more is what actually did happen. The thing is just that I don’t want to live there in all of that and I believe that in the end one does pay for their wrongs in some way. It would be nice to have some justice I got to see in a court here while living, but that could never give me back the time I wish I’d had with my grandmother. And other things did happen that were good and better than just good that I don’t know would have ever happened had I not gone through all of this.

And of course, it’s not to say that any of this should ever happen or that malpractice is at all acceptable, or the reasons why this kind of malpractice likely happens. It should all be stopped, it should never have happened to begin with and I agree with LeslieJ and so many others that it is the right thing to do whatever we can to help and set things right. It’s a shame beyond words that it hasn’t been stopped somehow by now. It’s really, really hard and it is a hell on earth that should not be.

I am just so worn out by it all, and I guess I am less and less interested in it taking more energy, life or any chance at happy moments than it all already has. It really is the perfect crime, that is nothing to be smug about.

Just hope I personally can fully forgive. That also doesn’t mean I wouldn’t be interested in trying to help all of us out in any small or bigger way, I just really want to be transformed on the inside in a way that is life-giving to myself and possibly others... who knows. Not that going for justice (legal or otherwise) would need to involve bitterness. I feel though that I need to be aware of my own internal motives even if I did have the energy and felt somehow convinced that I should do something like bring a case forward. I don’t know, we don’t have a lot of places (if any) to talk about these things so I guess this is why I typed all of this up. I hope I can truly forgive for this entire whatever it is that has happened.

I definitely and wholeheartedly support anyone willing and able to take legal action as a result of harm from this class of drugs.

LOL!

Yes, FloridaGuy.  Real people behind pseudonyms.  Real experiences.  Often =  utter nonsense (until experienced for themselves).

LOL!

Precisely, when I found bb and was indeed experiencing this myself I kept thinking how entirely bizarre and unbelievable this all was. It was like I had walked into another universe, a fantasy reality and had to keep convincing myself over time that “no, this is all indeed happening to me and I had better get a damn grip and accept this fact or I would possibly not survive.” I had to use all my abilities to ground myself and have logical, rational, “save your own life” kind of thinking.

Do you know, I even had difficulty really and truly accepting this has all taken place and is even real all the way up to probably about September 30th or around there... of this year!

That is 2018. And I first became “fully” aware of this completely real hell almost four years before— in 2014.

Hahaha, I had to loose my sobriety on a lethal amount of alcohol and forget who I was and experience possibly not even regaining my ability to think and function normally ever again for this to entirely sink in— as of the end of September of this year (2018.)

I almost fell out the window twice, too, in the days I was hungover after that. It took me over a week, almost two weeks to feel normal again.

Some of us have it worse than I did through all of this, it’s often debatable (from case to case)... how can we really know for sure and compare suffering?

But for anyone to claim they understand all the suffering or even close-to the amount of suffering bzds are capable of producing in any one given individual’s Life... is also, quite frankly, ludicrous.

LOL!

How can some prescribers commit such acts of malpractice with so much horror relayed online and off, not to mention witnessed and confirmed professionally?

You withdrew from diazepam. I believe for you it was no picknick. But not everyone's experience is the same. In particular, high potency benzodiazepines tend to be much more problematic. And 10 mg diazepam was not a high dose.

I concur, liberty. 10mg of diazepam is not a high dose. Also, diazepam tolerance is far more workable and solvable than Xanax tolerance or Ativan toleance or Klonopin tolerance. Depending on a high potency benzodiazepine is much more pharmacologically complicated than a "simple drug dependence". The withdrawal effects are much more intense and bizarre and the chance for misdiagnosis and mistreatment is much higher.

[63...]
"High dose/low dose", it's just a number, I was on 2.5 mg of Valium and could not cope with the wd, we are all unique, we all metabolise drugs differently and to hear someone on this board talk about "low (10mg) doses of V not as complex a wd as say Ativan or K offends me very much. It feels as shaming as the dr who told me "oh this is all in your head, it's such a low dose, you just have to tough it out" while my BP was 220/140 and then i stroked out. There are no generalisations imo.

[63...]
And FWIW the neurologist who looked after me in the hospital after the stroke told me that NO benzo dose should ever be considered or thought of as a "low dose", the power that they are capable of exerting on the brain and the long term effects cannot be quantified or measured by the dose in the pill, and to think otherwise is foolhardy.

"High dose/low dose", it's just a number, I was on 2.5 mg of Valium and could not cope with the wd, we are all unique, we all metabolise drugs differently and to hear someone on this board talk about "low (10mg) doses of V not as complex a wd as say Ativan or K offends me very much. It feels as shaming as the dr who told me "oh this is all in your head, it's such a low dose, you just have to tough it out" while my BP was 220/140 and then i stroked out. There are no generalisations imo.

I am sorry that it offended, but a partial switch to valium literally kept me from a complete disaster as nothing else was lowering my blood pressure other than valium and beta blockers, and I am still far from being in a safe zone. My resting pulse was getting to 110-120 between the ativan doses and my blood pressure was going up to 170/90 and doing that multiple times a day. The new doctor at the time had to prescribe me strong beta blockers in addition to valium because it got to be far too much and my blood pressure medication doubled in this process. As I tapered down, the beta blocker dose kept going up. I had also had a 190/130 blood pressure spike when I was about to be cut off from ativan and I was on 0.75mg/day of it. Ended up in the emergency room that time.

I have seen very few people on this forum even mention strokes or significantly elevated blood pressure in this process. I have not had that level of blood pressure/heart rate disturbances before withdrawal.

Nobody knows anyone's medical history here. A switch from 0.5mg Ativan to 5mg Valium back in 2014 would have saved me, but this was not done, and I was left to rot on prescribed ativan until I found this site out of sheer necessity and found the Ashton Manual and started reading. Not sure I would be here to tell the tale had I not found this place and the Ashton manual.

And FWIW the neurologist who looked after me in the hospital after the stroke told me that NO benzo dose should ever be considered or thought of as a "low dose", the power that they are capable of exerting on the brain and the long term effects cannot be quantified or measured by the dose in the pill, and to think otherwise is foolhardy.

For my original prescribing doctor to think that Ativan, which was killing me, was safe for me, and that valium was dangerous was also very foolhardy. I was sickened by his lack of knowledge of interdose withdrawal of ativan at all. Yes, many people get hurt from valium, and no benzo dose is a low dose. But I already know that and had gone through 4 years of complete hell trying to survive and just because I didn't get a stroke doesn't mean I didn't lose my life and didn't end up having a serious suicide attempt in April of 2016 under doctor's care because he kept shaming me for being on benzodiazepines. And to see builder shame us for not getting "therapeutic" effect of benzos to me is beyond reprehensible.

So my sincere apologies again for the lack of tact, but I had been shamed on these boards, too and I would have loved to have had a chance to taper from 5 or even 10mg valium by a good, knowledgeable doctor and I never got that chance.

I am sorry that it offended, but a partial switch to valium literally kept me from a complete disaster as nothing else was lowering my blood pressure other than valium and beta blockers, and I am still far from being in a safe zone. My resting pulse was getting to 110-120 between the ativan doses and my blood pressure was going up to 170/90 and doing that multiple times a day. The new doctor at the time had to prescribe me strong beta blockers in addition to valium because it got to be far too much and my blood pressure medication doubled in this process. As I tapered down, the beta blocker dose kept going up. I had also had a 190/130 blood pressure spike when I was about to be cut off from ativan and I was on 0.75mg/day of it. Ended up in the emergency room that time.

I have seen very few people on this forum even mention strokes or significantly elevated blood pressure in this process. I have not had that level of blood pressure/heart rate disturbances before withdrawal.

Nobody knows anyone's medical history here. A switch from 0.5mg Ativan to 5mg Valium back in 2014 would have saved me, but this was not done, and I was left to rot on prescribed ativan until I found this site out of sheer necessity and found the Ashton Manual and started reading. Not sure I would be here to tell the tale had I not found this place and the Ashton manual.

I have had pretty high blood pressure (for me anyway). Up around 145/80 at times, which is very unusual. I had never had high blood pressure in my life. I am trying to exercise as much as possible, but I am also eating a ketogenic diet and sleeping around 4 hours per night, so not ideal for lowering BP. I am getting a few things measured, but I wish I had baseline stats so that I could prove there was harm from the meds (I know a change for the worse is not necessarily proof of causality btw, just some supporting evidence).

I have had pretty high blood pressure (for me anyway). Up around 145/80 at times, which is very unusual. I had never had high blood pressure in my life. I am trying to exercise as much as possible, but I am also eating a ketogenic diet and sleeping around 4 hours per night, so not ideal for lowering BP. I am getting a few things measured, but I wish I had baseline stats so that I could prove there was harm from the meds (I know a change for the worse is not necessarily proof of causality btw, just some supporting evidence).

I've had issues with blood pressure in my life, but it was controlled by 20mg of lisinopril, and it was around 130/80 with the medication and I had no BP spikes of the kind that I do now. Through withdrawal, I ended up on 40mg of Lisinopril and also on a 100mg of Metoprolol ER, which is a very powerful beta blocker. Before these benzodiazepine prescriptions, my blood pressure would spike under stress, but it would go down quickly.

But what happened to me with bzds was that it feels like my parasympathetic nervous system stopped working properly, and the heart rate would climb up and would have horrible time coming down. That is not how body reacts in normal life. I had my heart checked and it was ok (minus some skipped beats and all), but this rollercoastering of my blood pressure and heart rate seems to be very much benzodiazepine induced in me. I suspect severe HPA axis dysregulation issues, and I just wanted to apologize to others and say that I in no way praise or condone valium in any way. I don't think it's a safe drug at all. All I wanted to say is that I am sort of puzzled why Ativan has a reputation for being so safe when it's anything but, and it straight out depressed me to the bone when I started calculating the amount of Ativan I was on and how much valium that equated to.

I wish that most people out in the real world who think that being on 1-2mg Ativan/day or 1-2mg Klonopin/day is not that big of a deal would actually realize that it is quite a big of a deal and that these doses are not small at all.

I don't know your story. CTing , then reinstating and having a rapid taper itself can mess you up. There are lots of other things that can have an effect. Some of the theory is out there, doctors just don't know.

Even if there were no other factors, 2.5 mg diazepam taken daily for 6 weeks can certainly cause problems. I believe your problems are real, but high dose long term prescriptions are more likely to mess you up, especially if one takes one of the high potency benzodiazepines.

'11 mths off now and was improving until severe setback at 9 months from antibiotic.' That is not an uncommon experience. One of the 'There are lots of other things that can have an effect.'