Immune to benzos???

[Be...]

Panic attack was after taking benzo - beer came much later in the night. My question was isolated to the effectiveness of the benzo itself, there was no sedative or relaxing effect. Aren’t rescue doses suppose to provide temporary relief with hell to pay after?

Supposing anything with benzos is a huge mistake.

They’re ‘supposed’ to help patients, they’re ‘supposed’ to NOT cause the problems we have that are then falsely diagnosed as MS, CFS, fibromyalgia, Parkinson’s, and a host of other frightening and crippling problems.

Every single problem we are in that is related to benzos is because the things that were ‘supposed’ to happen, sooner or later, became things that were NOT supposed to happen, and (often) are later treated as figments of our imaginations.

Someone who walked away relatively unscathed isn’t going to need a ‘rescue’ dose – that’s for sudden steep cuts, or the type of emergency room situation that can occur when someone is in the thick of acute withdrawal/post-withdrawal, IMO.

To be totally off drugs and functioning, and then to elect to pop a Xanax is, as others already mentioned, a deliberate choice, and a potentially dangerous one.

There are many other ways to stop anxiety or panic attacks, and they work a whole lot better than benzos. :thumbsup:

You are correct. It was a choice that did not have the desired effects, thankfully nothing beyond very short term.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [al...]

• [Ma...]

• [so...]

Most of us have had such a hair-raising withdrawal experience that we wouldn’t touch this poison again.  Some people had a mild/moderate withdrawal and don’t look at a benzo bottle as if it had a skull and crossbones on it.  I guess it comes down to the severity of the symptoms you experienced as to whether or not you would take a casual benzo or have a few drinks every night.  This process has scared the shit out of me.  Never in my life have I been in such horror, even for a moment, let alone for years. 

Sofa

Most of us have had such a hair-raising withdrawal experience that we wouldn’t touch this poison again.  Some people had a mild/moderate withdrawal and don’t look at a benzo bottle as if it had a skull and crossbones on it.  I guess it comes down to the severity of the symptoms you experienced as to whether or not you would take a casual benzo or have a few drinks every night.  This process has scared the shit out of me.  Never in my life have I been in such horror, even for a moment, let alone for years. 

Sofa

Some people don't have a clue what benzo hell is. Yet, they're still here.

Sofa

Perfectly stated. 

A lot of these answers are basically attacks and critique - thought this was judgment free. You realize there was a valid question in my OP right?

After w/d, are benzos as effective on someone? THATS IT.

I am at a loss for words other than BenzoBFree123 has no right being on this support group.

Why? Suffered just like you, just not as long however I still have issues. This isn’t a contest. Are my struggles any less important than yours? If that’s the case, anyone remotely healed should be exiled to the pastures right?

You realize you don’t have to post on any thread I start right?

My diazepam no longer works as it did prior to withdrawal and reinstating.

This might be because a I didn’t go high enough to stabilise properly but now it seems to make some symptoms worse and I have to taper off again.

This might be because a I didn’t go high enough to stabilise properly but now it seems to make some symptoms worse and I have to taper off again.

Thanks - that’s the type of response I was seeking. If anything I’d think it would be more “effective” since our tolerance has gone down. Ie drinking a beer after not drinking for a while.

maybe its the paradoxical effect we often get from long-term-taken drugs.. My "sleeping aid" was the best pushing stuff ever.  :-X

[79...]

Thanks - that’s the type of response I was seeking. If anything I’d think it would be more “effective” since our tolerance has gone down. Ie drinking a beer after not drinking for a while.

It sounds as though you’re looking for a way to keep using these things until you’ve achieved a pleasant mood balance.

Please consider that many of us reached the point where benzos reversed themselves and become ‘paradoxical,’ meaning that they do the exact opposite of what you are hoping for.

Once that happens, a low dose no longer helps, and increasing the dose causes severe anxiety, racing heart and panic attacks that could send a person straight to the emergency room. At that stage, you can’t taper off, you can’t stay on, and all that’s left is a rapid taper or a cold turkey. That’s how my little adventure with taking Ativan as prescribed ended, except for the part about the crippling, life-destroying symptoms that haven’t yet finished their ‘fun’ with me (after two years off). 

So if you keep testing the limits of your benzo use, you may yet find out why the rest of us are still struggling with stuff that we can’t just power our way out of with trips to the gym and a can-do attitude.

Doing experiments with a drug that members here are trying to warn you about is what’s causing the ‘judgmental’ reactions that you complain about – this is a support group for getting OFF benzos, not fine-tuning them until they’re fun again. The answers you’re seeking can probably be found on bluelight.org, where members offer recommendations on combining stuff like benzos and alcohol, and where you can mess around until you find your sweet spot.

Most members here got sick simply by taking benzos as prescribed, but those who monkeyed around with them until they were utterly screwed are welcome here too, as we try to help them undo the damage.

However, if you keep experimenting with benzos to find the perfect balance, BB is not the place for you to be looking for those answers, and the responses may continue to seem unpleasantly judgmental to you.

My Two Cents.

Yes Leslie, total agreement with your post. My conscious decision to stop Ativan came from a place of a deep desire to live. Benzos absolutely weren't working for me anymore. I know how hard withdrawal is. I don't expect it to go away after years of needing to take them for severe, crippling anxiety. However, I choose this life over how horrible I felt during that tolerance withdrawal. So my home is free of all benzos and I don't drink anyway but at this point wouldn't even consider it. My feeling is, if you're serious about putting down the poison don't keep the venom in your home. Makes sense to me.

It sounds as though you’re looking for a way to keep using these things until you’ve achieved a pleasant mood balance.

Nah, it sounds as though he's being deliberately provocative, just a bored fella looking for attention and tryna have some fun.  I say just humor him, he's not to be taken seriously.

My point zero two.

A lot of these answers are basically attacks and critique

Sorry, but you don't deserve better.

Shut up you idiot and **** ***.

Edit: Profanity Removed

Wow... that was deep.

Edit: Profanity removed from Quote

Shit up you idiot and piss off.

Wow... that was deep.

Why are you so obsessed with me?

No matter which arguments are going on behind this topic. I do not tolerate such a behavior.

For members who just want to follow a thread such behavior is taking my time, its boring and annoying.

Stop it. I have reported that post.

Edited to remove profanity from quoted post

Wow... that was deep.

Stop the bickering and the insults and remember our policy regarding respect for fellow members.

•Be polite towards, and respectful of, your fellow Buddies. We do not tolerate attacks upon fellow members.

Rules and guidelines:

Magrita

Wow... that was deep.

Well why are you saying someone on this forum doesnt deserve any better than bullying? This forum isnt just for ppl trying to get off benzos, maybe some are trying to stay on them and get stable. Heck, ive been off for 2 years and still aint right. Ive tried turning back. Not everyone wants to suffer endlessly.

Wow... that was deep.

Well why are you saying someone on this forum doesnt deserve any better than bullying? This forum isnt just for ppl trying to get off benzos, maybe some are trying to stay on them and get stable. Heck, ive been off for 2 years and still aint right. Ive tried turning back. Not everyone wants to suffer endlessly.

BBfree is provoking people and making fun of their suffering for months. I give him everything he deserves according to his posts.

Alokin. Shamo and BenzoBFree,

What is it you don't seem to understand about the proper use of the forum.  No thread is a free for all allowing anyone to insult or degrade another member. Magrita posted the policy in regards to this.  I don't want to lock another thread because a few people can't respond in an appropriate manner.  If you don't like the topic or can't reply in a respectful manner, then stay off this thread.

We have many people here who need support and a kind word, spend your time helping those people get through what can be the most challenging process they've ever had to experience.

pianogirl

I find it difficult to support someone who I have never seen support any other member on this forum.  I will bow out of this thread now and leave the mad scientist to his experiments.

Sofa

PS.  Great post, LeslieAsh.  Especially the comment about bluelight.org—a more appropriate forum for some people.  Ahhhh...that elusive “sweet spot.”