Whenever i see "Mental illneses" in articles, etc..

[1c...]

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [St...]

• [Fl...]

• [Lo...]

• [bu...]

FloridaGuy,

At the end of the day, you're not a doctor and you are speaking to experiences not your own. You're being inconsiderate and disguising it as condescending advice that you are not qualified to give. I have to wonder, why is it so important for you specifically to attempt to disprove the existence of mental illness in other Buddies? I fail to see how that is supportive. This forum has guidelines for a reason, and I'd appreciate if you gave it a rest. "I'm not anti-med, but..." kinda says it all.  ::)

Builder,

Thank you for being a consistent voice of reason and advocate for others here.  :thumbsup: Your posts bring a smile to my face on difficult mornings.

Gwinna

:thumbsup::):thumbsup:;)

[1c...]

FloridaGuy,

At the end of the day, you're not a doctor and you are speaking to experiences not your own. You're being inconsiderate and disguising it as condescending advice that you are not qualified to give. I have to wonder, why is it so important for you specifically to attempt to disprove the existence of mental illness in other Buddies? I fail to see how that is supportive. This forum has guidelines for a reason, and I'd appreciate if you gave it a rest. "I'm not anti-med, but..." kinda says it all.  ::)

Builder,

Thank you for being a consistent voice of reason and advocate for others here.  :thumbsup: Your posts bring a smile to my face on difficult mornings.

Gwinna

I don't see how being a doctor or not can prevent one from using reason and evidence to discover the truth, but may it not be for that. What about Szasz arguments, he was a doctor, wasn't he? 

I think that everyone benefits from learning the truth so they can decide what's best for them; and i don't see how it's so satanic and forbidden that others are not allowed to at least entertain the idea, If anything, this cultish mentality of see, speak, hear no evil is even more harmful for the well being of people. Also, i don't see how i'm doing any "Unqualified" advice here, i'm just promoting some philosophical discussion; if you don't like reading discussions, you can just leave the "Chewing the fat" Section. :thumbsup:

It does not take a doctor to understand that it is inherent in the nature of psychiatric drugs that the brain and body habituate to them very quickly and that neuro-adaptations in presence of psychiatric drugs happen rather quickly as well. And not a single sheet or a label insert can exactly tell what will happen to the person. It is uncharted territory for the most part.

The body may revert quickly to homeostasis once the psychiatric drug is tapered down or completely removed, but there are many instances where the body is not able to do that, and the person ends up taking psych drugs they would rather not take anymore, simply because their brain and body are not able to adapt to the absence of them for purely physiological reasons.

Unfortunately, a failure to understand this basic mechanism of habituation/neuro-adaptation is what can lead to so many problems. Unfortunately, this is not taught in schools or anywhere, and people often have to live through the experience to actually understand this fully. The brain and body will not do what is needed and will let the psychiatric drugs do the work. And then, one day, a person can somehow be completely unable to stop their antidepressant even thought the person feels no longer depressed and in a good place in life.

One can argue that the anti depressant is working (and it actually is, since an anti-depressant is not an inert drug), but it can also be argued that enough neuro-adaptations have occurred that stopping it in a sudden way would actually cause a lot of opposing processes in the body, causing a lot of potential problems, as the body tries very hard to adapt to the absence of it. The same goes for benzodiazepines, which the body habituates to extremely quickly that, no matter how careful a person is, there is no guarantee that things won't actually get worse instead of better. The very fact that a number of people on this site end up on several psychiatric and regular medications just to reduce their benzodiazepine just attests to the powerful neuro-adaptation process that happens while a person takes them.

This conversation is really not helpful for me, so I'm not  going to check it anymore. I'm not trying to "rage quit," just wanted to give a heads up that I won't see replies. Be well everyone.

Gwinna

FloridaGuy,

At the end of the day, you're not a doctor and you are speaking to experiences not your own. You're being inconsiderate and disguising it as condescending advice that you are not qualified to give.

It would seem to me that my opinion is just as valid as anyone else's here, and it's more than a little concerning to me that the idea that mental illness might not be exactly what the medical industry makes it out to be is considered "inconsiderate", especially on a board that is made up of tens of thousands of people who have been egregiously harmed by said industry.

LMAO!!

::) ::)::)

Maybe instead of accusing me of being anti-med, you could address the question of how you reconcile these drugs being "needed" in the face of the evidence that tells us that the more drugs people take, the sicker they get.

Unfortunately, a failure to understand this basic mechanism of habituation/neuro-adaptation is what can lead to so many problems. Unfortunately, this is not taught in schools or anywhere, and people often have to live through the experience to actually understand this fully. 

The scary thing is that it seems that there are quite a few people who don't understand this or reject it despite having been a victim of it themselves. I am guessing that pretty much everyone posting on this thread is here because they have been harmed in some way by doctors and/or psych drugs. Yet so many seem to resist the idea that current wisdom regarding mental illness might be flawed and the drugs that are used to treat said illnesses might actually create more problems than they solve over the long term.

All I can say is "ignore these warnings at your own peril". It's too late for me. I have already had my life destroyed, I am slowly clawing my way out of the deep hole it has put me in and I will never touch these drugs again. But maybe there is still hope for some of you who are reading this.

LMAO!!

::) ::)::)

Maybe instead of accusing me of being anti-med, you could address the question of how you reconcile these drugs being "needed" in the face of the evidence that tells us that the more drugs people take, the sicker they get.

Wow, that sure sounds like an "anti-med" statement to me!  ::) ::)

Wow, that sure sounds like an "anti-med" statement to me!  ::) ::)

Facts are fact. They are not pro-med or anti-med. Just because you don't want to believe it doesn't mean that it isn't true.

I know you don't want to hear it but Robert Whitaker does an excellent job of laying out the case for how psych drugs ultimately exacerbate mental illness. You can get a good overview of this by watching the videos on this page or any of his other talks on youtube. Don't stick your head in the sand. It's your life and ultimately you have to act as your own healthcare advocate.You can believe what you want to believe but don't ignore the facts.

https://www.madinamerica.com/anatomy-of-an-epidemic/

Dr. Kelly Brogan also wrote a good article on this. She had to overcome her cognitivie dissonance as a psychiatrist, and she understood what happened to people on long-term benzodiazepine treatment.

http://kellybroganmd.com/benzos/

I have countless stories like this from my work with women dependent on psychiatric medications. Women started on one, maybe two medications, that turned into three, maybe five medications over years of their lives. Years in which they never felt fully well and may have even struggled just to function. Just a little more of this medication…maybe this new one will help…they were told. No one ever discussed with them true informed consent: risks, benefits, and alternatives, perhaps because we as clinicians are not told the full story in our training.

In fact, there’s a bill on the floor in Massachusetts that would mandate this discussion, complete with a brightly colored prescription to warn the patient that their doctor is dealing them a potentially harmful substance. Better late than never?

I remember, as an intern working in the Bellevue ICU, treating a patient who presented after having suffered a grand mal seizure in the CVS parking lot on the way to fill his Xanax prescription. He had missed one dose before heading to the store.

Because of this, I never prescribed Xanax again, but reassured myself that Klonopin and Ativan were safe because of longer half-lives and slower onset.

Now I suffer the poetic justice of caring for dozens of women who are moving through the birth canal of Klonopin withdrawal, and I am here to guard the gates through which more may pass.

As Gwinna wrote:

'FloridaGuy,

At the end of the day, you're not a doctor and you are speaking to experiences not your own. You're being inconsiderate and disguising it as condescending advice that you are not qualified to give. I have to wonder, why is it so important for you specifically to attempt to disprove the existence of mental illness in other Buddies? I fail to see how that is supportive. This forum has guidelines for a reason, and I'd appreciate if you gave it a rest. "I'm not anti-med, but..." kinda says it all.  ::)'

Then who is qualified to give that 'advice' ? Do you need to be a labeling and pill-pushing doctor to be qualified to advise people to take neurotoxic drugs ? Do you need 'qualifications' to be allowed to say how you see reality ? Would being a victim of drugs qualify ?

Mentall illness. Undoubtedly there are people who have major problems, related to mental suffering/functioning. Those problems may be real and physical. But is it an illness ? We're not believing the 'just like diabetes' crap ? Do we believe in biological psychiatry ? It's always easy to label others.

Hello everyone.  This thread has been reported, and we would like to ask everyone to settle down.  We expect our members to treat each other with respect and follow the rules, two of which are these:

Be polite towards, and respectful of, your fellow Buddies. We do not tolerate attacks upon fellow members. Any account created for the purposes of causing arguments and/or ill-feeling will be banned.

Whilst some of our members report negative experiences with doctors, psychiatrists, or the wider medical profession, and although we do not wish to outlaw comments about how members feel let down or mistreated in their personal medical care, you are not permitted to use this community as a platform to spread general anti-doctor or anti-psychiatry propaganda.

:thumbsup:

megan918

Administrator

[1c...]

Hello everyone.  This thread has been reported, and we would like to ask everyone to settle down.  We expect our members to treat each other with respect and follow the rules, two of which are these:

Be polite towards, and respectful of, your fellow Buddies. We do not tolerate attacks upon fellow members. Any account created for the purposes of causing arguments and/or ill-feeling will be banned.

Whilst some of our members report negative experiences with doctors, psychiatrists, or the wider medical profession, and although we do not wish to outlaw comments about how members feel let down or mistreated in their personal medical care, you are not permitted to use this community as a platform to spread general anti-doctor or anti-psychiatry propaganda.

:thumbsup:

megan918

Administrator

Ok, seems fair. :thumbsup:

The doctor who prescribed me Ativan told me to just stop taking it in spite of my numerous complaints that something was wrong with this medication. I felt it in my body that I could not stop without potentially life-threatening consequences. The doctor told me to stop, or otherwise I'd end up in one hospital after another (never happened). He also told me that most people with panic attacks have them because they do not breathe properly. While this may be true for some people, had I actually listened to this particular medical advice from my doctor at the time and completely stopped the ativan, it could have been life threatening for me. Luckily, I now have a doctor who knows that benzodiazepines cannot be stopped cold turkey after long-time use, without potentially serious and possibly life-threatening symptoms.

Mental illness labels are too often used as tools of manipulation, bullying, and oppression.  This statement does not attack any profession or individuals or groups in particular.  Physiological suffering caused by medication is just that.

[1c...]

Mental illness labels are too often used as tools of manipulation, bullying, and oppression.  This statement does not attack any profession or individuals or groups in particular.  Physiological suffering caused by medication is just that.

I was involuntary institutionalized because i was causing problems to my parents because of my emotional problems, and while i believe it's valid that they might have wanted to put me into reprobation so they can think this through, i don't think i have any "disease" nor did any "treatment" helped anything if not made things worse. I was already being diagnosed with a bunch of shit when i was 15 because of anxieties and insecurities, from depression to "panic disorder", to bipolar, to schizophrenia.

One good thing i can say about this whole ordeal is that after being polydrugged and kindled, i can say that i matured a lot, became less easily overwhelmed by things, smarter and etc...

Though, thinking better, seeing as the USA is different from my country, as they have legalized guns ( including automatic rifles), it's understandable that they need a tool for societal control, aside from religion, shaming, and peer pressure, etc...

It's just that this can be used to take advantage of uneducated, vulnerable people (like my parents) as the doctor made us buy a bunch of expensive, useless drugs after i complained about the kindling effect i had no idea about at the time (Agomelatine, generic rivotril) ::)

I am sorry you are suffering Floridaboy l can see why you are so anti these drugs.I have to say this as l feel society as a whole has changed so much over the last 30 years l believe that really that is having more of an impact on people than drugs.

Good point, Stut.  Western society as a whole has lost it's moorings.  Institutions and traditions that used to provide refuge, security and comfort have been weakened, compromised or destroyed.  (Change)  Even the concept of "nation" has been challenged as obsolete.  (Change)  Communication rarely takes place eyeball to eyeball.  Now it's distant and digital.  (Change)  The concept of right and wrong has been replaced with "whatever you can get away with."  (Change)  People feel adrift, lost, insecure.  In any discussion of psychotropic drugs, this has to be included.

Well said photobug couldn't agree more.Isolation, disconnection, lack of human contact have had such a huge toll on everyone over the last of decades.l really do not like the world we live in and l can't see it improving.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that the OP was referring to the concept that mental illness is an illness like diabetes, cancer etc.

The problems may be real, but to suggest that there is a unifying biological cause for each 'label' (because that's what it is !) ?

'In another note, it'd be atleast funny to see how these ~Mental Health~ would react to people in Benzo PAWS' If the PAWS syndrome is serious and you're confronted with a psychiatrist it can get very ugly.

I recall a story of a young woman in her early thirties, a few years ago. She'd been on Ativan. For some reason she ended up in a hospital in Germany, and was diagnosed with schizophrenia. The opinion of a psychiatrist. She begged her mother to get her out of there, who was at first inclined to believe the psychiatrist.  She got out, and if I recall correctly after a long and harrowing ordeal she recovered.

Sounds like my situation. Because I had withdrawals from short term use, the doctors all write me off as “delusional” and I was given the label of schizophrenic.