Quebec City mosque shooter was taking Paroxetine at the time of the murders

[La...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMSbGHpKWrQ

Molyneux is a conservative commentator who talks about these kinds of issues often. This video isn't particularly insightful (nor is it political) but as usual, the gold is in the comments. Several people mention the possible SSRI/drug connection and a lot of people are talking about how these killers tend to be social outcasts who have problems interacting with women.

Sadly I think we have only seen the beginning of these mass killings. Patterns are beginning to emerge and if we want this to change we need to start paying close attention and taking steps to rectify these underlying issues.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [La...]

• [Fl...]

• [be...]

• [Lo...]

What's crazy about the Times Square driver is that they keep saying he was "drugged out" but there's no evidence of him taking anything except synthetic marijuana.  I wonder what the hell is in that!  :o

What's crazy about the Times Square driver is that they keep saying he was "drugged out" but there's no evidence of him taking anything except synthetic marijuana.  I wonder what the hell is in that!  :o

Who knows ? They won’t say.

Although I wouldn’t say schools are actually hostile to kids, I would say the current academic expectations are way out of line. Totally agree that the child running around needs to be looked at as an indication the kids need to move more and sit less.  Encouraged to talk and explore, collaborate and depend/defend one another, be kind and accepting.

I taught kindergarten through second grade for 35 years, the last 6-7 years were kindergarten or K/1 combos.  This was the time when teachers were expected to really ratchet up the pressure on kids way beyond what was developmentally appropriate.  I could see it manifesting negatively in the kids, parents and teachers.  When I retired it was getting harder and harder to strike a balance between job expectations and what I knew to be developmentally appropriate for young children. Loved teaching but was not sorry to retire as this was all going down.

Schools face huge challenges these days...as do students and teachers.  Underlying societal issues

make it all the more difficult.

I would go a step further and say school is hostile to all kids.  I'm so pessimistic about school these days.  They get rid of play time, make kids sit in seats all day and drug them when they can't or punish them or both.  Try to make them read at age 5, in kindergarten, and punish the teachers when they can't.  They've even made the school days longer. And they give evaluations on every tiny little thing you do.  You can just drop your pencil, and you'll end up with "poor motor skills" in your progress report.  This idea of evaluating every little thing and making a giant deal about it, to the point of drugging children to compliance, is ruining schools.  That, and ridiculous standards that make everyone unhappy.

I think it is so sad that too many children are no longer allowed to be children.  I've witnessed it.  A 5-year-old runs around a room because he gets no real exercise, but is expected to sit still all day like he's 50-years-old, then he's automatically dubbed hyperactive and heavily drugged asap.  Yes, every little thing is evaluated and judged these days, not only for children, but for adults as well, in my opinion.  Making mountains out of every molehill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMSbGHpKWrQ

Molyneux is a conservative commentator who talks about these kinds of issues often. This video isn't particularly insightful (nor is it political) but as usual, the gold is in the comments. Several people mention the possible SSRI/drug connection and a lot of people are talking about how these killers tend to be social outcasts who have problems interacting with women.

Sadly I think we have only seen the beginning of these mass killings. Patterns are beginning to emerge and if we want this to change we need to start paying close attention and taking steps to rectify these underlying issues.

I looked and it is.  One of the more recent ones has 231 up-votes.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a challenge for our best (and most objective and fearless) social sciences researchers:

Pick a period in the U.S. (for example) in which these mass killing events (and perhaps violence in general) were so rare as to be practically non-existent.  Let's say the period from 1950 to 1962.  Let's examine in great, great detail how this period of time varies to the period of time in which these events began to occur with regularity (which includes the present).  What has changed?  The list will be extensive...the factors are even now pouring out of my head so fast I can't type them down.  Family structure and dynamics, societal pressures, economic and environmental factors, media influences, education, immigration, medical care, illicit drugs, pharmaceuticals, the justice system, the internet, commonly held values, religion....and on and on....many hundreds of factors.  Then DRILL DOWN objectively into the data.  This will be HARD work...maybe the most detailed epidemiological study ever done.  But if done, it would reveal what's wrong and how it can be fixed.  Of course the findings will be resisted by segments that give rise to and even unknowingly encourage this violence.  But it would be good to have the answers anyway, to support what those of us with common sense who have lived in these two periods of time already know.  We've lost our way as a civil society.  It's not something that "just happened."  There are reasons.

Here's a challenge for our best (and most objective and fearless) social sciences researchers:

Pick a period in the U.S. (for example) in which these mass killing events (and perhaps violence in general) were so rare as to be practically non-existent.  Let's say the period from 1950 to 1962.  Let's examine in great, great detail how this period of time varies to the period of time in which these events began to occur with regularity (which includes the present).  What has changed?  The list will be extensive...the factors are even now pouring out of my head so fast I can't type them down.  Family structure and dynamics, societal pressures, economic and environmental factors, media influences, education, immigration, medical care, illicit drugs, pharmaceuticals, the justice system, the internet, commonly held values, religion....and on and on....many hundreds of factors.  Then DRILL DOWN objectively into the data.  This will be HARD work...maybe the most detailed epidemiological study ever done.  But if done, it would reveal what's wrong and how it can be fixed.  Of course the findings will be resisted by segments that give rise to and even unknowingly encourage this violence.  But it would be good to have the answers anyway, to support what those of us with common sense who have lived in these two periods of time already know.  We've lost our way as a civil society.  It's not something that "just happened."  There are reasons.

There are definitely reasons and you did a pretty good job of outlining a few of what those might be. Unfortunately life is just getting more and more complicated so the chances of being able to figure out exactly what is going on are probably slim.

There are definitely reasons and you did a pretty good job of outlining a few of what those might be. Unfortunately life is just getting more and more complicated so the chances of being able to figure out exactly what is going on are probably slim.

There are spheres of influence who already know most of the answers but who not want the answers to be generally known and understood or, worse yet, to be applied in finding solutions because it would undo so much "progress."  But it's all really very simple.  Here's a block of time in which these things didn't occur.  And here's a block of time in which they did (or do) occur.  What's different about these two blocks of time?  Examining this intimidates the crap out of people and institutions who have a vested interest in maintaining "progress."  So many people that it cuts off the possibility of examining it as a society.  So, to that extent, we're screwed.

• 1 month later...

As a follow-up to our discussion of the Quebec City mosque shooter, Alexandre Bissonnette, and his case, here is the latest article from CBC. It covers the final day of the sentencing hearing for his murder of six people on Jan. 29, 2017. There is a possibility that Bissonnette would be sentenced to six consecutive life sentences, which would total 150 years behind bars -- essentially, a death sentence.

'Alexandre is not a monster': Mosque shooter's parents speak publicly for 1st time

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/alexandre-is-not-a-monster-mosque-shooter-s-parents-speak-publicly-for-1st-time-1.4715773 

This CBC article, entitled "Quebec City mosque shooter set off by Canada's open stance on refugees", reveals that the 28-year-old was taking Paroxetine when he entered a mosque, killed six men and injured many others. This is the first time I've seen such a detail. I'm not aware of any connection that has been made between the medication and the actions of this man thus far, but based on other incidents that have been discussed around here, it does beg the question, "Was the medication a factor?"

See the following excerpt:

The morning after the attack was supposed to be Bissonnette's first day back at his job, at Héma-Québec, where he looked for potential donors for the organization, which manages the province's blood supply.

Three weeks earlier, Bissonnette received a medical note granting him leave from work because of an anxiety disorder.

He was prescribed Paroxetine, he said, to replace the Fluvoxamine pills he was taking, which he didn't think were strong enough.

"I couldn't go on, with my job and my studies," he said.

Bissonnette had several suicidal episodes since high school, he said, but never told anyone.

"I always dealt with my own problems," he said, explaining that he didn't want to worry his parents.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-mosque-shooting-bisonnette-sentencing-1.4618414

The last time I saw my pdoc, he gave me a script for this.  I asked him the results he was getting from other patients, said most did really well, I asked him if they were addictive, he said no not at all.  When I got home, googled it....got horrible reviews and is addictive........... :tickedoff:  now their commercial even suggests it can be addictive.  Of course I never filled it, but it is so frustrating.  I wish I had taped him.  How can he care so little.  I just don't understand.

The literature is certainly out there to inform doctors of the physiological dependency that is created by these medications, as well as the long list of "side effects", including hostility and aggression. No doctor should be prescribing these meds without good knowledge of the literature and studies. If we can read it online, so can s/he.

I'm glad you chose a different path, Mary. We all have to be as informed and cautious as possible with prescription medications.

Wow Lapis!  They went further than most with that, putting the two together.  Finally.  Has the universe shifted a bit in the last few days/weeks or is it just me?  The headlines, these articles, the show...

Thank you so much for translating that.

I have seen a lot of articles lately backing what we believe also.

We'll have to wait until October to hear what the judge says about sentencing. The article I just shared today shows that his parents hadn't understood their son's serious mental state, even though he was living with them at the time of the murders. Whichever way you look at this story, it's heart-wrenching.

...it is,really :(

I am very interested in any article or source that mentions how dangerous the combination of these meds is, because I have seen so many many patients in hospitals who became weird with ONE AD/benzo/whatever, but after the polydrugging (which is totally normal in hospitals and also outside) they became scary ticking time bombs.

Even I had really strange thoughts when I was on several drugs and I took only the smallest dosages they could find - I remember that I thought "well, THIS is really not good what you are thinking now"

:'( :'( :'(

In this case, the crime was so heinous that the guy will likely get a very long sentence. I'm sure he's on meds now, as he waits in prison. We've never seen a 150-year sentence in Canada, but in this case, it's possible he'll get it. Six murders and numerous other seriously injured people. And they were children there too. And it was a place of worship. And everybody had their backs to the murderer as they were praying in their mosque. Really, really terrible.

It's so interesting to hear your experience, Marigold. The fact that you remember thinking that your thinking was improper is amazing too. You had the ability to recognize that, but obviously, many don't, and they just end up following through on those terrible thoughts -- whether it be murder or suicide or some other awful thing.

In this case, the crime was so heinous that the guy will likely get a very long sentence. I'm sure he's on meds now, as he waits in prison. We've never seen a 150-year sentence in Canada, but in this case, it's possible he'll get it. Six murders and numerous other seriously injured people. And they were children there too. And it was a place of worship. And everybody had their backs to the murderer as they were praying in their mosque. Really, really terrible.

It's so interesting to hear your experience, Marigold. The fact that you remember thinking that your thinking was improper is amazing too. You had the ability to recognize that, but obviously, many don't, and they just end up following through on those terrible thoughts -- whether it be murder or suicide or some other awful thing.

yes... I put myself into a hospital telling them "I am afraid I will do myself harm but I dont know why" - totally wrong decision because they just added more meds but they never understood this sentence I kept repeating. They asked if I wanted to do something and I said no, but that in my brain those weird thoughts were rising.. they did not get it.. and it WAS ALL MED RELATED.

Wow Lapis!  They went further than most with that, putting the two together.  Finally.  Has the universe shifted a bit in the last few days/weeks or is it just me?  The headlines, these articles, the show...

Thank you so much for translating that.

I have seen a lot of articles lately backing what we believe also.

Hi Mary.  I'm glad to know you noticed this too.

You are one strong-willed woman, Marigold!

I don t know its more being stubborn and I have a strong sense of justice and just cannot let bad things happen, I guess..

And I have great co-warriors like you, right:-)

:smitten:

It's a powerful testament to your strength of soul in that you were still able to know the difference between right and wrong despite how ill you were. That's a strong moral compass!

You are one strong-willed woman, Marigold!

I don t know its more being stubborn and I have a strong sense of justice and just cannot let bad things happen, I guess..

And I have great co-warriors like you, right:-)

:smitten:

I will warrior with (or maybe behind) you anytime.  :smitten: