Daily Mail Online Bullshit

[Ru...]

Thanks Colin.

I agree but equally I don't want to upset people on this site where we are all very vulnerable and emotions run high. :)

Oh - and I am a right old lefty liberal even by UK lefty liberal standards....

Not exactly. We have a general policy discouraging such topics, but not a total ban on comments. And, to be frank, the comment Ajusta is more of statement of fact: Fox News is/was held in very low regard by the vast majority of the British public.

Saying "even the idiots think that Fox news is insane" is basically saying that anyone who thinks that they aren't insane is worse than an idiot.

That is disparaging a portion of the BB membership and I assume that isn't the kind of culture you are trying to promote here.

This is a summary of what has happened in the UK over the past two days re the Lancet study on antidepressants.  It might give some context.  Bob Fiddaman's blog is good, far better than anything I could write (see link in my blog).

Letters have been published in response in The Times, I haven't included that link in my blog because you need a subscription to read them.  I may have missed out some other links, there were so many.

I think the media circus has made the lead author of the paper look rather foolish to be honest.  The coverage was clearly orchestrated by the Science Media Centre which was established by a psychiatrist, Prof Simon Wessely.

We have made our feelings known to the press and politicians in Scotland.

https://nevertrustadoctor.wordpress.com/2018/02/25/psychiatry-attempts-to-manipulate-public-opinion-on-antidepressants/

We have had some positive engagement today on Twitter with the President of the Royal College of Psychiatrists so that is a step forward, usually we are ignored.

You can see the many submissions now submitted to Scottish Parliament and they continue to come in.  I do not recommend reading them as they are extremely harrowing and very difficult to read.  But you will see how many there are.  Most are about antidepressants, less so about benzodiazepines.  If anyone wishes to write in please PM and let me know.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651

Fiona  :thumbsup:

Not exactly. We have a general policy discouraging such topics, but not a total ban on comments. And, to be frank, the comment Ajusta is more of statement of fact: Fox News is/was held in very low regard by the vast majority of the British public.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41887613

So, no 'echo chamber'. That would refer to people who cut themselves off from broader opinion - not those expressing views which are held commonly, across political (or other) lines (within the UK).

I watch and listen to the BBC quite a lot.  Surely you don't image it to be an unbiased new source either?

It is a government run media outlet.  It generally supports government positions.

I will grant it has a much slicker gloss on it than Fox News however. 

Here in the US I get BBC Worldnews tonight on PBS.  Last night they ran a segment about AD's saying how helpful they were, but then they interviewed a guy who talked about the dangers of them and also mentioned that withdrawal symptoms could last months and even years.  He was against using them from what I could see, so that was good.  I did take a tricyclic AD when I was young for many years and got off it quickly and had no problems or withdrawal at all. 

This is a summary of what has happened in the UK over the past two days re the Lancet study on antidepressants.  It might give some context.  Bob Fiddaman's blog is good, far better than anything I could write (see link in my blog).

Letters have been published in response in The Times, I haven't included that link in my blog because you need a subscription to read them.  I may have missed out some other links, there were so many.

I think the media circus has made the lead author of the paper look rather foolish to be honest.  The coverage was clearly orchestrated by the Science Media Centre which was established by a psychiatrist, Prof Simon Wessely.

We have made our feelings known to the press and politicians in Scotland.

https://nevertrustadoctor.wordpress.com/2018/02/25/psychiatry-attempts-to-manipulate-public-opinion-on-antidepressants/

We have had some positive engagement today on Twitter with the President of the Royal College of Psychiatrists so that is a step forward, usually we are ignored.

You can see the many submissions now submitted to Scottish Parliament and they continue to come in.  I do not recommend reading them as they are extremely harrowing and very difficult to read.  But you will see how many there are.  Most are about antidepressants, less so about benzodiazepines.  If anyone wishes to write in please PM and let me know.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651

Fiona  :thumbsup:

Well done!

I will try very hard to write something this week.

I guessed the Science Media Centre would be involved. Not sure it was set up by Wessely but he has been involved.

Yes, I suppose Wessely was only one of those involved, I shouldn't exaggerate his influence.

It would be great if you could write something but don't feel under pressure to do so.

Take care

Fiona  :smitten:

Fiona, I remember your mentioning Prof. Healy.  I'm glad they gave him some airtime.  He sure is good-looking and has his eyes open to the dangers of the drugs.  I was only in my early 20's when I took the AD for panic attacks.  It was on an older tricyclic AD so probably not as dangerous as the newer SSRI's maybe?  I even took Xanax and Ativan for awhile when I was younger and got off it with no problem.  Didn't take it for years though everyday like I did this last time.

Yes, he is quite good-looking .. and he sure is wise to the damage being done by antidepressants.  I am not sure if tricyclics were any better .. they were more toxic in overdose and had more side effects so SSRIs were preferred.  I felt terrible on the tricyclics.

Had I not gone through this Hell, I would probably be like everyone else and believe everything that is in print or on TV. Our modern medical system is broken! It rewards itself on the backs of those that trust them. When I see an advertisement that promotes a vaccine or medication it sickens me. someone that looks like a doctor (white coat with a stethoscope hanging around his or her neck) holds up a screen showing a patient how this drug will improve his or her life. The third leading cause of death in the US is from prescribed medications and botched surgeries. Why do we allow this?

The problems in the US are far far worse than here in the UK ... it is all about power, money, greed ...  and it is very hard to fight against that ... maybe the opioid crisis will help to turn the tide in another direction. 

I guess we are fighting the battle with antidepressants now .. very hard to get air time on that here.