If you are suffering from Insomnia, please read

[Th...]

I agree with you ThE. Artificial sleep comes at a price, and how I wish that I had said no at the beginning to the initial seduction of the temazapam induced slumber , and how I wish I had said no to the remeron . The good thing is that now I am off everything ,and normal sleep is returning. Not as fast as I would like and I ride the usual crazy rollercoaster of passable nights and nights from Hell. But at this point there is no way I would ever consider a rescue dose of anything.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Th...]

• [MT...]

• [Ba...]

• [Ru...]

Does that go for CBN cannabis oil used in tiny little increments?

I could not sleep after my final taper in 9/17 and it so exasperated my anxiety during withdrawal that my skin not only burned, it felt like I was

lying in acid.  My bladder failed and I was hospitalized and reinstated on Diazepam.  Now I am afraid that my insomnia, which is starting up again

as I taper, will become severe again and I may experience the same harsh reactions.

That is why I would prefer to take "something" instead of being traumatized, hospitalized and re-instated again.  Anything about CBN?

Well, like everything on this forum, the original poster has their point of view.  It's what worked for them.  But if I was getting unfettered relief from any substance/medication (no side effects or withdrawals) I'd probably be using them, too, depending on what my health situation was.  Bladder failure is serious and sounds painful.  Personally, I would not begrudge anyone coping with some CBD oil, etc.

I am completely drug free at this point since none of the drugs/supplements to assist with sleep helped.  It is weird, actually to get sleep this way since I have been using something for decades.  I forgot how to sleep and so did my brain.  My life is abnormal in that I cater to my sleep issues.  I don't schedule anything in the mornings.  I am not sure if or when this accommodation to my insomnia will ever go away.  It is what it is right now.  But sleeping drug free is an accomplishment that I am not acknowledging.  I must really do that.  Who else will?  W

Wanna be, so you are saying if some medication did make you feel better, you would take?  You mention with no side effects, but think most meds all have side effects.  Sure you have read people say gabapentin helped them.  Then some have probs getting off that, others do not.    I think the sleep issue is that it can be serious and ruin the rest of your health so then what?  (especially if it was a problem before benzos...  nice to think maybe it'd go away but it may not).    thx...

I took low dose seroquel post jump, for couple months, then took a break, took it again and stopped for good.

it made me sleep. when I stopped (rapid taper), I kept sleeping well, and had very minor w/d symptoms.

still sleeping good. yes this is a nasty drug, but it did work, and I did not had bad w/d from it, and I still do sleep.

Hi, reading your sig, so you tapered off clonaz. taking nothing, but added gabapentin later?  Why do it that way?  I've seen some people use gabapentin to help with the taper off, tho.

thank you.

I agree with you ThE. Artificial sleep comes at a price, and how I wish that I had said no at the beginning to the initial seduction of the temazapam induced slumber , and how I wish I had said no to the remeron . The good thing is that now I am off everything ,and normal sleep is returning. Not as fast as I would like and I ride the usual crazy rollercoaster of passable nights and nights from Hell. But at this point there is no way I would ever consider a rescue dose of anything.

Brave Rabbit,

You got off restoril then went into acute.  Then took mirtazapine, got off went into acute again.  So that was acute from mirtaz?

I know mirtaz is what precipitated all my probs.  I assume by now, having jumped off mirtaz over a year ago my probs are now valium and/or ambien.

I am now learning to look at .sigs (used to ignore them!)

thanks.

Barbara. The second acute was definitely from the mirtz. At this point it is hard to tell if my remaining symptoms are coming from the restoril or mirtz withdrawal . It's all improving slowly and I think that I am in the home stretch. The odd thing is that I had no chemical anxiety with the restoril withdrawal . It kicked in with the mirtz withdrawal and is manifesting as palps and the running for a bus sensation.

And like everything else it waxes and wanes.

Well, my sleep was something about 2-4 hrs broken sleep a night when I jumped. Now after 5 months I'm able to sleep about 6 hrs with 1 or 2 wakings in between. Some nights even 7 hrs. Has been possible. So it seems natural sleep returns without supplements. This is not 100% true as I take 1.6mg melatonin in the evening but I do not consider it as any kind of evil drug.

The running for a bus sensation feels like your heart is racing and thumping in your chest. You feel a little short of breath. I guess that in the U.S. people don't run for buses. It must be a Brit. thing.

Restoril is just as bad as any other benzo. They all are addictive and tolerance can build up very quickly.

Thanks Theway2 for starting this thread. It is good to see you back! Thanks for your usual encouragement to stay focused on health, fitness and drug free. I am sorry to hear you were hit with a wave, but know that this, too, shall pass.

I mentioned in another thread today, that I have found that I am very sensitive to MSG and free glutamate foods. MSG is pretty much in all processed and restaurant foods, including bread made with wheat flour! There is quite a bit of information on the internet about it. Many people have realized they are sensitive, and have healed from a range of symptoms ( insomnia and anxiety being two biggies, as well as pain of all sorts, etc.)

Since we are all healing our gaba receptors, glutamate can overwhelm the brain, especially where we are trying to relax and rest.

We grabbed lunch at a restaurant yesterday, and even though I tried to be contentious, I was exposed and didn’t sleep well last night. This morning I’ve been hit with the blues. Yes, this, too, shall pass.

Tigereye

Thanks Theway2 for starting this thread. It is good to see you back! Thanks for your usual encouragement to stay focused on health, fitness and drug free. I am sorry to hear you were hit with a wave, but know that this, too, shall pass.

I mentioned in another thread today, that I have found that I am very sensitive to MSG and free glutamate foods. MSG is pretty much in all processed and restaurant foods, including bread made with wheat flour! There is quite a bit of information on the internet about it. Many people have realized they are sensitive, and have healed from a range of symptoms ( insomnia and anxiety being two biggies, as well as pain of all sorts, etc.)

Since we are all healing our gaba receptors, glutamate can overwhelm the brain, especially where we are trying to relax and rest.

We grabbed lunch at a restaurant yesterday, and even though I tried to be contentious, I was exposed and didn’t sleep well last night. This morning I’ve been hit with the blues. Yes, this, too, shall pass.

Tigereye

Hi Tigereye,

Thanks for the MSG information.  I have been trying to avoid any and all MSG for the past year, but as you said it is in so much processed and restaurant food.  They get away with calling it "Natural Flavoring" and other names that don't specifically mention MSG.  I love Chinese food and know it is high in MSG, but was able to eat at a Chinese restaurant 4 or 5 times with no sleeping issues.  My wave has subsided for the most part.  I had 9 nights in a row with pretty good sleep.  I used to think my good or poor sleep nights centered around what I ate or drank, but proved that isn't the case as I have had nice sleep nights and poor sleep nights on the same diet/drink.

Hope your blues pass soon.  You are all warriors and will beat Benzos and get your life back. :thumbsup:

How can you be so blunt and uncaring?. so what nothing but time? are you living under a trust fund where you have no money issues in the world? do you realize that not sleeping takes a huge part of our lives. mainly that we cannot expect to work on 0 hours sleep. I tried, I failed and i need the income so i realize that it it takes time. Do you have any idea who pays the bills when I am waiting for the insomnia to go away if it goes away at all. Are you certain some of us may not see sleep for years? Sure anyone can say stop taking this and stop taking that if they are independently wealthy. What if you are facing living on the street, sleeping on a park bench but not sleeping, how horrible no money, no home, and no idea when sleep will come. Plus the damage sleep deprevation does to you as a human being. Obviously you did not have a prolonged insomnia problem because you call it tough love but all people are looking for is relief. one night 2 hours, 1 hour. If anything gave me that I would gladly take whatever it is. Do you realize there are people who just cannot take the insomnia anymore and your tough love has them finally giving in and ready to end it all. Tough love is not something anyone should condone, not in this fragile community.  Do you want to be the one who makes someone give up hope because you are tougher than them? Do you want someone to be a callous to someone you love and say Nothing will help you. That is as bad as saying no one will help you. People are just trying to find some relief, CBT, anything that may have helped someone else. This is a helping site, did that tough love help those who believe maybe just something someone else tried made it bearable for them just in the slightest.In your opinion the cure for benzo withdrawal would be similar to waking up on a jail  cell floor and going through it that way. Is that tough enough? Or is giving someone no hope at all and ending it all the solution for those who are not as tough as you seem to be. I had 30+ years of this crap and do you know if I will ever sleep? Do you know or have any compassion or are things on your Ivory Tower tolerable enough to just tell everyone to tough it out. i saw a gili 19 jump from a building 60 feet tall because her Parents "tough loved " her so  much they told her they did not love her anymore and I was within 3 feet of her barely clinging to life screaming my parents do not love her anymore. Was or is that tough enough for you. Is that what you condone? Did you ever realize that you may have written all this and tough loved somone to their death? You obviously are not in health care because the blood would be on your hands and rightly so. "Tough Love" is not a solution for anything.  People at wits end do not need uncaring, non compassionate noobs who profess this old school way of shakin it out of them.Tellling patients that it is all in their head. That they are not strong enough. Save that tough love for some old school Fruedian psychiatrist who knows nothing of withdrawal and does not care.

By the way, dear friends, my original mention of the CBN was not to be mistaken for CBD oil.  I tried that one and it actually made me feel worse.  I have had adverse reactions to any and every medication my whole life.  Just one of those genetic things, I guess.  Quite frustrating and especially debilitating now that I had the surgery with all those powerful meds.  One doctor told me later, "Wow, they really socked it to you!"  And I didn't take any meds or vitamins before that.  I was rather speaking of CBN---Not---CBD.  I heard it helped with sleep.  Look it up online for those who find it legal.  This is what it said about it, "Of all the cannabinoids, CBN appears to be the most sedative. Not only is it sedative, it takes very little to do the job. The consumption of 2.5mg to 5mg of CBN has the same level of sedation as a mild pharmaceutical sedative, with a relaxed body sensation similar to 5mg to 10mg of diazepam."  So, for those who may NEED something and don't want a strong pharmaceutical, you may want to investiage CBN.  My lack of sleep caused me such anxiety that I had to reinstate because of the severe acid burning pain all through my body--even down to my bones!  And my bladder felt like claws were ripping it out and it began to fail.  Lack of sleep affects everyone different.  I went almost 2 years with it and after my withdrawal, it only got progressively worse and the burning pain increased to the point where my bladder started to fail.  Had to do something.  Anyway, someone suggested the CBN, but it only made me feel worse--again!  As do all drugs--even the benzo's made me feel bad, but at least I could eat a little and sleep a little since the surgery knocked out my brain.  I am just trying to survive.  I haven't had a life since Nov 2015!  If something helps me to get some sleep and calm this incredible pain, I would sure like to at least try it.  Still better than being reinstated on a benzo and going through that horror of coming off again!

Lynn:

Have you tried hemp oil? No THC at all. It's generally used more as a food ingredient (loaded with mag, potassium, B's, Omegas) but not used medicinally--so you will find it in shampoos, soaps, savles, etc. That said, almost w/out my noticing, it calms me down. I live in CA and have access to the whole kaboodle but I find hemp oil from Amazon sort of works the best. Just a thought--

How can you be so blunt and uncaring?. so what nothing but time? are you living under a trust fund where you have no money issues in the world? do you realize that not sleeping takes a huge part of our lives. mainly that we cannot expect to work on 0 hours sleep. I tried, I failed and i need the income so i realize that it it takes time. Do you have any idea who pays the bills when I am waiting for the insomnia to go away if it goes away at all. Are you certain some of us may not see sleep for years? Sure anyone can say stop taking this and stop taking that if they are independently wealthy. What if you are facing living on the street, sleeping on a park bench but not sleeping, how horrible no money, no home, and no idea when sleep will come. Plus the damage sleep deprevation does to you as a human being. Obviously you did not have a prolonged insomnia problem because you call it tough love but all people are looking for is relief. one night 2 hours, 1 hour. If anything gave me that I would gladly take whatever it is. Do you realize there are people who just cannot take the insomnia anymore and your tough love has them finally giving in and ready to end it all. Tough love is not something anyone should condone, not in this fragile community.  Do you want to be the one who makes someone give up hope because you are tougher than them? Do you want someone to be a callous to someone you love and say Nothing will help you. That is as bad as saying no one will help you. People are just trying to find some relief, CBT, anything that may have helped someone else. This is a helping site, did that tough love help those who believe maybe just something someone else tried made it bearable for them just in the slightest.In your opinion the cure for benzo withdrawal would be similar to waking up on a jail  cell floor and going through it that way. Is that tough enough? Or is giving someone no hope at all and ending it all the solution for those who are not as tough as you seem to be. I had 30+ years of this crap and do you know if I will ever sleep? Do you know or have any compassion or are things on your Ivory Tower tolerable enough to just tell everyone to tough it out. i saw a gili 19 jump from a building 60 feet tall because her Parents "tough loved " her so  much they told her they did not love her anymore and I was within 3 feet of her barely clinging to life screaming my parents do not love her anymore. Was or is that tough enough for you. Is that what you condone? Did you ever realize that you may have written all this and tough loved somone to their death? You obviously are not in health care because the blood would be on your hands and rightly so. "Tough Love" is not a solution for anything.  People at wits end do not need uncaring, non compassionate noobs who profess this old school way of shakin it out of them.Tellling patients that it is all in their head. That they are not strong enough. Save that tough love for some old school Fruedian psychiatrist who knows nothing of withdrawal and does not care.

You certainly can have your opinion.  But drugs put you on this site, not tough love.  Drugs took away your sleep, not someone's opinion.  Drugs will continue to be the problem until you are off of them.  Deflecting to a post I made in an attempt to help people and saying I may have caused someone's death is absurd. People don't end their life after reading one post.  It's not about being tough.  It's about what worked for most people on this site to get past insomnia and most people that got past insomnia on this site didn't take Rx drugs or wished they had not.  The tough love mentioned in this thread is for insomnia only, not life in general!  You can read into this post whatever you want.  You are a unique case.  Hardly anyone on this site used drugs for 34 years to help them sleep.  This advice is for those who can accept it.  The medical community literally knows nothing about Benzo withdrawal.  I know you are venting from lack of sleep, but your vent is misguided.  I am not telling people to do anything that has not worked for the vast majority of members on this site.  I am not talking about losing a job or losing money or not paying bills. I am not talking about tough love for life in general.  Just tough love for getting off of Rx drugs and getting some sleep back naturally.

There are always going to be exceptions to every rule.  I am not the only voice on this site.  If you look at other people's posts and opinions, you are liable to come up with 20 different solutions for the same question.

I still suffer from poor sleep and occasional zero nights after almost 2 years.  Again, it is not a contest to see who has the worst sleep or who can go the longest without sleep.  But you have backed yourself into a corner.  If drugs are the only way you can sleep, then why are you arguing against them and for them at the same time?  This site is for people trying to get off of drugs.  Not stay on them to sleep.  You don't need to be on this site to find drugs to sleep with.  But eventually all drugs will quit working and then where does that leave you?  Unless you plan to repeatedly cycle through drug after drug, there will be no end to your nightmare of not sleeping.  At some point you have to pay the fiddler and he demands payment without mercy.

Also, people are not allowed to give medical advice on this site.  No one on this site is a medical doctor unless they happen to be one that is going through WD.  There is a time and place for tough love and insomnia is one such place where it DOES WORK for the vast majority of people.  Again, if you don't like the advice, don't take it, but don't try to deny it from countless others that it worked for by saying it doesn't work for anyone.  Maybe it won't work for you but it HAS worked for hundreds of others.

I am sorry you are suffering so badly from insomnia but you really only have 2 options:  1) get off of ALL Rx drugs and try to get your sleep back naturally 2) Look for non-benzo Rx drugs that can aid with sleep until your sleep resolves.  I caution against using additional drugs to sleep because for almost all people that take them long-term, it ended up hindering their recovery or completely resetting their recovery clock.  However, each person must decide what to do and what is best for them.  For the garden variety type insomnia, staying away from drugs is best.  In your situation, maybe a low dose seroquel or some other non benzo drug would help?  Each situation must be looked at uniquely and as a whole.  You wouldn't treat a person with the flu with Chemo drugs.  Please do what you believe is best for getting the sleep you need.  I am sure whatever you decide will be the best choice for you.  Good luck! :thumbsup:

Well said, Theway.

Stlsrms,

I know you are scared and angry and wondering how you can possibly survive this. Insomnia can strip us of so many things-calm, clear thinking, will to live, even our kindness. Going through wd and extreme sleep deprivation brought me to my hands and knees with my face ground into the carpet at times. I felt outside of the stream of humanity and couldn't imagine how I would ever be able to join in again. See, I'd been on so many drugs for so long. Not as long as you. Closer to 29 years in my case. I watched other people get better, regain sleep, but not me. I went almost two years not sleeping more often than 3-4 times per week when I took amitriptyline and other things (just a few hours and very light) and was wide awake *all* of the other nights. Many nights even those meds didn't work, leaving me just with side effects and hopelessness.

The first time I tried to get off of the amit. I was frightened that I only got any sleep twice, briefly, in a month so I went back on. But nothing changed and I knew I had to face the beast and so I tried again. I won't lie, it was terrible. Going to work without sleep night after night is miserable and terrifying. Heck, just facing every day is terrifying. But slowly, ever so slowly, I started getting bits of sleep. It was months of microsleep only. A reminder here, I'm a *very* extreme case, worst possible scenario kind of person. But then I started being able to cobble together 2-4 hours and that felt like a miracle to me. Now it's closer to 6). Sure it was, and is, light and broken, but it's something. I learned to be thankful for every bit of sleep. Each morning I got up, and still get up, and give thanks for every moment of sleep and rest. Even if it's a night of microsleep only (extremely rare now). Sure, I'm aware that I want more and that I don't feel rested, but even in the midst of that, it's possible to acknowledge, and even celebrate the gifts along the way. There's a sweet little book about what is enough I recommend: https://smile.amazon.com/Gift-Story-Wise-About-Enough/dp/0345388356/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1519931166&sr=8-8&keywords=clarissa+pinkola+estes

So all of us here feel your pain. We ache for you, the hell you're going through, and the impossible decisions you have to make between bad choices and worse choices. We all have known the fear, trapped feelings and despair and we're here, wounded and broken at times, to offer and receive comfort. Accept what you find helpful, leave what doesn't fit, and remember to practice kindness with yourself and others because it has far more healing qualities than any of those pills we all swallowed.

I wish you peace. All of you, peace and sleep.

MT

By the way, dear friends, my original mention of the CBN was not to be mistaken for CBD oil.  I tried that one and it actually made me feel worse.  I have had adverse reactions to any and every medication my whole life.  Just one of those genetic things, I guess.  Quite frustrating and especially debilitating now that I had the surgery with all those powerful meds.  One doctor told me later, "Wow, they really socked it to you!"  And I didn't take any meds or vitamins before that.  I was rather speaking of CBN---Not---CBD.  I heard it helped with sleep.  Look it up online for those who find it legal.  This is what it said about it, "Of all the cannabinoids, CBN appears to be the most sedative. Not only is it sedative, it takes very little to do the job. The consumption of 2.5mg to 5mg of CBN has the same level of sedation as a mild pharmaceutical sedative, with a relaxed body sensation similar to 5mg to 10mg of diazepam."  So, for those who may NEED something and don't want a strong pharmaceutical, you may want to investiage CBN.  My lack of sleep caused me such anxiety that I had to reinstate because of the severe acid burning pain all through my body--even down to my bones!  And my bladder felt like claws were ripping it out and it began to fail.  Lack of sleep affects everyone different.  I went almost 2 years with it and after my withdrawal, it only got progressively worse and the burning pain increased to the point where my bladder started to fail.  Had to do something.  Anyway, someone suggested the CBN, but it only made me feel worse--again!  As do all drugs--even the benzo's made me feel bad, but at least I could eat a little and sleep a little since the surgery knocked out my brain.  I am just trying to survive.  I haven't had a life since Nov 2015!  If something helps me to get some sleep and calm this incredible pain, I would sure like to at least try it.  Still better than being reinstated on a benzo and going through that horror of coming off again!

So you could not get off benzos and cbn did not help?

I had hopes for cbn but can't find it near me at all.  It is legal, tho.

So you stick to your 5 mg valium altho it might not work?  This whole thing sucks.

BarbaraAve, I had trouble with the benzo's because I am told that I went too fast for "me."  Others may do better.  I've never done well on drugs--of any kind.  Even the cbd and cbn that others swear by.  I think it is worth trying for those for whom it is legal and see if it works.  Some  have told me that taking an aspirin has helped to calm them.  Imagine!  I have taken some of the most powerful sleep and pain meds and they don't touch me or they make me feel really horrible.  The reason I am still on the valium even though it is making me feel so bad and my genetic testing suggested that there is a potential gene-drug interaction with it, is because it is supposed to be one of the milder and easier benzo's to withdraw from.  No benzo is nice and valium has its own set of very bad side effects, etc., but I cannot just "get off of it" because of the withdrawal syndrome possibility and the severe reaction when one cold turkeys.  It's a lose/lose thing, but hopefully the end result will be a great big WIN!  Meanwhile I must continue through this process as all of you do and keep trusting in the Source of my strength!  Still, I have much to be thankful for.  I need to stay focused on those things or it's easy to become overwhelmed.  So, keep thinking positive and keep looking up! 

Which drug testing for withdrawal?

I can't sleep that is the main prob, and trembling.

How can you function on no sleep?

Think ambien now not working...  it was for a while while i tapered.

sheesh.

Don't see how anyone get through this

Which drug testing for withdrawal?

I can't sleep that is the main prob, and trembling.

How can you function on no sleep?

Think ambien now not working...  it was for a while while i tapered.

sheesh.

Don't see how anyone get through this

I remember once telling a friend about just how little sleep I was getting back when the withdrawal insomnia was at its worst and she just did not believe me. She told me that she did not think it possible to live on so little sleep, but obviously she was very wrong. We get through this because it is the hand that we dealt to ourselves and really have no choice but to get through it. It turns out that there is a very wide gulf between nice and comfortable and the limit of our endurance.

Wd makes us total badasses! Special forces soldiers could talk to us about survival skills. We may be shaking and jerking while surviving but just carrying on is a huge act of courage in the midst of this.

:-X

The ability to go through the WD process seems almost heroic. I got thought tapering down to now Valium but still have a ways to go and fear I will go through another withdrawal as bad as the first when tapering from Xanax, to Klonopin, to this now. If I throw in the fact that no one understands or is even aware of the insomnia makes it worse, with no empathy just exaggerating my no sleep weeks. Telling me to '"stay on the drug" and all kinds of advice of what makes them sleep. i do not know if this applies to others but I envy those that sleep or say they oversleep but say nothing about my situation. No one but this community knows  I suffer through all this and still no end in sight. I apologize about my "rant about  tough love" I just read it and it was cruel but I  I do not  want to be known as "that guy". I only was without sleep, irritable, and as we all want craving something that would work. The original post was and is necessary to give all needed information and being blunt is necessary. I believe to make it this far you have to be that way in order to deal with the drug or drugs. I hope someday to read my rant and just see how far I have come with the very advice that was presented. I feel and felt like a fool. I am very sorry to all, it was not very well thought out. This board is so helpful, kindness and caring keeps everyone's hopes up during the withdrawal because despair and fear comfort and having something in common as bad as this  :'(makes for a place finally where real sufferring people can relate their experiences. I was new at the time and learned that was completely out of hand. Again I apologize to the community.  :'(

Yes, storms -- I see that you are really in the thick of it with the taper and the insomnia.  I don't know where you are in your process but it is just terrible until it starts getting better.  It is imperceptibly slow.  You ranting here is probably even an improvement of which you may not be aware.  Not yet, anyway.  Just keep going.  What else can you do?

I've been sleeping drug free now -- no nothin.  No supplements, hormones, OTC - nothin.  I can't honestly say I'm a whole lot different than I was a few months ago trying all kinds of stuff but I do believe doing without is probably better for the brain/body in the long run.  I always struggle with caffeine but I obviously don't use that for sleep.  I don't see it interfering with sleep unless I consume it in the the PM.  WBB