The anti-social aspect of benzodiazepine use

[Lo...]

Did anyone notice how anti-social and lonely the benzo use is? It's just a person and their pill bottle and a a glass or a water or a water bottle, followed by temporary relief of anxiety for a while until the meds no longer work.

Is this some sort of misaligned "rugged individualism" gone south? Or are these pills just an extension of hiding and avoidance that was there previously?

Many people are prescribed benzos for anxiety, and quite often for social anxiety.  So, in a sense, we took benzos so we could be more social, not less.  That was the case for me.  Most of us here seem to be thoughtful introverts by nature, a common personality type which is neither "good" nor "bad." But our culture definitely tends to prefer extroverts, almost to a ridiculous degree.  Avoidance can serve one well in certain circumstances.  I'm very happy being an introvert, and in general have done very well in life - professionally, creatively and otherwise.  I no longer see at my introversion as a flaw, just as the way I am and always will be.  And I'm very satisfied with that.

:smitten:

I wasn't lonely or antisocial at all while I was on clonazepam. Most of it had to do with the fact that I was "living large" as a businessman and real estate investor during that time, but the drug didn't curb my social life that I noticed.

Since I came off it has been a completely different story. Never felt more alone and isolated in my entire life.

[eb...]

Many people are prescribed benzos for anxiety, and quite often for social anxiety.  So, in a sense, we took benzos so we could be more social, not less. 

Most of us here seem to be thoughtful introverts by nature, a common personality type which is neither "good" nor "bad."  I'm very happy being an introvert, and in general have done very well in life - professionally, creatively and otherwise.  I no longer see at my introversion as a flaw, just as the way I am and always will be.  And I'm very satisfied with that.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I would agree totally with this insightful post....

....Benzos  made me conform and try and become the "extrovert" society  seems to honour....

actually created a " false extrovert " and one cant live with that

when truth is important...

Maybe when extroverts take them, it also helps them conform in the opposite way..

maybe make them less out there, or were uncomfortable/or tired of keeping up that achievement level...

took of their masks. and now we all suffer similarly

as we find balance and acceptance of our true selves

either way is an uncomfortable fit eventually....

It about acceptance of our true self....when we find it...

Or are these pills just an extension of hiding and avoidance that was there previously?

It was like a very very  mild speed I feel

looking back in hindsight, covered my pain, repressed it instead of learning from it.. :thumbsup:

Whilst on the benzos it just repressed it even deeper......sadly I thought it was just anxiety being harnessed, however so not so...

.however on the plus side, once this repressed stuff is let out and acknowledged

the pain  comes out in other ways during healing ... :tickedoff: physical and emotional,  ??? 

making  the benzo withdrawal harder than dealing with repressed pain...as it comes out eventually

one way or another...

yet in a window I see a stronger wiser person as I deal with it now....

and accept that introversion as just me, and and honour that to.....

we are all different,

so honouring and accepting  those differences  seems smarter and wiser long term...for me at any rate...

gives me more peace within...and speeds my healing I feel.

Maybe not true for everyone however I see it happening like that for me... :thumbsup:

I don't recall benzos making me more or less social, to be honest. They seemed a useful tool for panicky and really badly stressful situations, but I didn't like that I was using a crutch. But then I was quite shocked that this "crutch" ended up having a far deeper physiological dependence profile than I ever dreamed. All the while I thought it was a mental/psychological thing, but the physiological dependece and side effects were most likely hitting me from the very beginning.

[eb...]

I don't recall benzos making me more or less social, to be honest. They seemed a useful tool for panicky and really badly stressful situations, 

Yup same here,  stopped the anxiety  stress  and  panics  and made me able to  cope in social situations better....

however it took almost  2 .5 years  benzo free...... to see in hindsight

it was way more than  that..... :thumbsup:

even now stress can trigger anxiety however new behaviors change that......

enlightenment came with much healing,  and acceptance ..... :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
I, too, am an introvert.  I functioned very well in business and socially until benzo withdrawal.  I used to not be able to think of one person I would rather be.  I liked myself and my life!  The past three years in withdrawal I hate my life, or rather lack thereof.  I am now over most of the horror, but the remaining insomnia and, even worse, the fatigue. 

I have always been an extrovert to the max. Probably too much as well as job related stress. Benzos did not affect me either way until they did..................

Although I'm an introvert, I used to be talkative and always had jobs around lots of people, talking and being very busy, but benzo withdrawal/recovery completely changed me. I lost hobbies I had. I didn't know what would happen to my body, so I was always on my guard and remained by myself instead of being social. The fact is that I had practically become a different person. Now some of my former persona is coming back, but I've been by myself so often that I'm afraid to be more social now. I'm always wondering if some symptom is going to pummel me, so I don't go far. And due to the fact that I've been sick for so long, friends I had before are pretty much gone. I've driven my sister and brother-in-law nuts. My sister told me I belonged in an insane asylum, and I'll never forget that. It's caused somewhat of a wedge in my relationship with her. My son has always been helpful, but he and I have had heated discussions about benzos. 

I suppose that all these difficulties will become manageable once I'm more healed, but it's been really hard.

I only remember one time that I was truly relaxed while taking benzos, and that was during a job interview. But things started unraveling after that, and I found that I couldn't do the job after all because of withdrawal. I was only on the Ativan for 11 months, but right away I began feeling 4 p.m. anxiety.

I agree with FG: "Never felt more alone and isolated in my entire life."

I want to add that going through this difficult process absolutely changes people. You find you can't exercise well, can't feel comfortable drinking, can't drink coffee (me), can't eat certain foods - there are limits everywhere. You start feeling as if you're balled up in a fetal position. Who can feel social when there are so many restraints put on the body? Not only that, you're looking over your shoulder, afraid of the next wave - when will it be? Will it be bad? Your mind is filled with benzo questions.

I couldn't even concentrate on another person. I was always thinking of how my body was feeling, if I was anxious, etc. It wouldn't be worth it to me to be around a lot of people.

Same here.  I am a different person. Really feel more dead than alive.  All due to lack of sleep and fatigue.  I have lost all friends and don't care.  Having to lie or explain things does not word.  No one gets it.

• 3 weeks later...

Many people are prescribed benzos for anxiety, and quite often for social anxiety.  So, in a sense, we took benzos so we could be more social, not less.  That was the case for me.  Most of us here seem to be thoughtful introverts by nature, a common personality type which is neither "good" nor "bad." But our culture definitely tends to prefer extroverts, almost to a ridiculous degree.  Avoidance can serve one well in certain circumstances.  I'm very happy being an introvert, and in general have done very well in life - professionally, creatively and otherwise.  I no longer see at my introversion as a flaw, just as the way I am and always will be.  And I'm very satisfied with that.

Great way of putting it!! I agree 100%

:)