What symptoms exactly are keeping everyone from sleeping?

[Ar...]

Up till a few months ago a combination of tinnitus and high cortisol made difficult to come to sleep.

Now the tinnitus in the evening when I get tired is mostly a slight wind in the head, but I wake up early, after about 6 hours, feeling more tinnitus and bad dreams .  But mostly after waking up the tinnitus fades away, but still  an annoying way to wake up. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [St...]

• [br...]

• [Li...]

• [Ar...]

I jave restlessness and small internal shaking in my head always in the morning lets say roughly from 3.00 am onwards. I think my deep sleep goes okay but the light sleep after wake-up is an issue.

Intense hunger feeling not relieved by eating food. I don't know if it's some weird IBS or flu or food poisoning or ulcers or what, but it sends me into panic attacks, I feel like there's no air in the room, I cannot breath, my skin is burning. I shake violently, my pulse goes up, then I get a feeling I'm going to pass out or die. Last night it was all night long. I would fall asleep for 20-30 minutes and then wake up from that intense hunger and the symptoms would start all over again.

Good morning everyone,

My sleep has gotten much better over the past three weeks. My new normal is to wind down after dinner, being careful not to expose my eyes to too much blue screens, including TV. I settle into a chair and read a book until I start falling asleep, usually around 10. Then I go to my dark, cool bedroom ( I have stopped sleeping in the same room as my husband, which I dearly miss, but hope it’s temporary!). I fall asleep quickly, and usually awaken anywhere from 3-4 hours later. Sometimes I can get back to sleep, and sometimes not. I have noticed that I am very sensitive to glutamate ( MSG or high Free glutamate foods). If I have successfully avoided that, I sleep much better, usually 6 hours total.

It is very hard to avoid MSG! Prepared food and almost all restaurant food is laced with it!! There is a lot of information on the Internet on the topic. Our gaba receptors are healing, but since glutamate can cross the blood brain barrier, glutamate can overwhelm them, and cause that wired feeling.

I know that my body is super sensitive to certain things right now. Caffeine and MSG are my two biggest no-no’s ( and any other sleep drug or supplement that interferes with gaba).

Tigereye

When I was given Seraquel old sleep came back in no time. I thought finally a cure of how it used to be. Those sleep things in my eyes and everything. I just wanted to sleep all the time after years of none. Then I read the black box on Seraquel. my Lord it affected every drug I was on for blood pressure, antibiotics, plus I read the Astra Zeneca 350  settlement. But they keep pushing it off but it has a list of side effects that goes on for three paragraphs. Including "sudden death" something my Father died from (not Seraquel related) Sure I could sleep finally but one night I may sleep and never wake up. The hunger is outrageouse like you have no eaten in weeks. If you want to know what Old sleep was like then only try Seraquel, do not take it for long because then you will play side effects roulette which is most cases is worst than Benzo withdrawal Pick your poison both are awful.

:crazy:

• 4 weeks later...

When I was given Seraquel old sleep came back in no time. I thought finally a cure of how it used to be. Those sleep things in my eyes and everything. I just wanted to sleep all the time after years of none. Then I read the black box on Seraquel. my Lord it affected every drug I was on for blood pressure, antibiotics, plus I read the Astra Zeneca 350  settlement. But they keep pushing it off but it has a list of side effects that goes on for three paragraphs. Including "sudden death" something my Father died from (not Seraquel related) Sure I could sleep finally but one night I may sleep and never wake up. The hunger is outrageouse like you have no eaten in weeks. If you want to know what Old sleep was like then only try Seraquel, do not take it for long because then you will play side effects roulette which is most cases is worst than Benzo withdrawal Pick your poison both are awful.

I was joking that I was only taking Seraquel when I was dying to sleep. Because of that "sudden death" side effect.

Pounding heart, headache, hunger-----? cortisol out of whack? Seeing integrative doctor today, internist tomorrow and addiction psychiatrist in 2weeks. I feel I've really been brought to my knees physically and emotionally by all this :-X. Was making progress but as month 18 approaches this exceeds the misery during detox. Encouragement would be so welcome. I want "me" back (don't we all?)

Pounding heart, headache, hunger-----? cortisol out of whack? Seeing integrative doctor today, internist tomorrow and addiction psychiatrist in 2weeks. I feel I've really been brought to my knees physically and emotionally by all this :-X. Was making progress but as month 18 approaches this exceeds the misery during detox. Encouragement would be so welcome. I want "me" back (don't we all?)

Hi I'm sorry for your suffering!!! I'm out 22 months  benzo and 7 weeks off remeron. Suffering a lot with burning squeezing thingling head scalp.

I just wanted to tell you my experience with integrative doctor. Mine was highly recommended but did not know to much about benzo withrawl, like most doctors. He recommended a lot off supplements what make my symptoms even worst and he was keep telling me we have to calm your brain down. I wish now I would just listen to BB and would not go on hormon or trying a lots of natural supplements what caused me even more pain. Just be carful  :smitten:

Love and healing

Vica

If I fall asleep, then wake up, (which sleep actually does not feel like sleep) I am wired and awake...it feels like there is nothing in me...no tiredness at all...no sleepiness at all, just wired and awake.....and of course, the next day I feel awful...still wired, no sleepiness, cannot take a nap...if I close my eyes, there is nothing...no sense of sleep whatsoever.  I feel really jumpy the next day.

Last night zero sleep. I was getting a few hours the last few days and bam last night was another wave. I guess something I ate. My CNS is so hypersensitive, and I am also having GI issues. Anxiety surges at night that I cannot control well which i turns gives me burning skin and then I have difficulty sleeping.

I have that same problem. Like my brain has forgotten how sleep works. I'm hoping this is just withdrawl and not insomnia that I will be plagued with forever. Sometimes I lay so long, I can't tell if I dosed off or not because I never feel refreshed.  I can't even tell someone how many hours I got.

My brain just refuses to shut off. I'm not having any pain.  I don't really think about anything. My awareness just stays on all night.

[17...]

This lack of ability to sleep is one of the cruelest of benzo withdrawal/recovery symptoms, but luckily the CNS repairs itself, albeit slowly, over time.

I thought I’d never sleep again, but to my surprise it’s suddenly possible to sleep naturally again. That’s probably not much of a comfort while you’re still going through it, but perhaps it will help a little just to know that there’s hope.

Meanwhile, chances are that you’ll start by gaining an hour or two a night, and even those small improvements help. In the beginning I got 0-2 hours per night, and I couldn’t nap at all, no matter that I was so exhausted that I could hardly stand up. Last night I slept for twelve hours, only getting up to turn out lights, and most nights I get seven hours now.

Wishing the sweet relief of sleep for all of you – it’s headed your way sooner or later.

:smitten:

Before reinstating it was the inability to get my neck to relax without feeling like I was choking - as soon as it relaxed the choking feeling started and woke me up.

I hardly sleep at all. Would  be sooo happy to get 3 or 4 hours straight.

What keeps me awake? I don't know. I don't stress or anything. It just feels like my brain thinks sleep is overrated. Don't get that tired feeling anymore.

But do feel eshausted with major headaches from sleepless nights for months and months.

Being stuck in a wrong cycle of neurotransmittors firing the wrong way... that is keeping me up, I think

That's a little scary. Im afraid this might happen to me. Have you ever been a good sleeper? I was sleeping all the time before my surgery in sept. I took Restoril too. Stopped working fast. I'm hoping my sleep returns soon.

Stacey , Restoril / Temazapam was the first benzo I was given . When it became less effective my primary Dr. kicked in Klonopin . I think that those of us who are in recovery from this horrific combination of drugs may well have more difficulty in returning to a normal sleep pattern. We may also have more  muscular and nerve pain and R.L.S. at night.

Don't be discouraged . Eventually we will heal and we will be able to sleep normally . I was in tolerance withdrawal for months and even though I have a long way to go before I am fully healed I am doing so much better. I am grateful each and every day that the combination of drugs did not kill me .This is a quote from something Maya Angelou said 'When you knew better , you did better '. That's us to a T.

We do know better and we are doing better.

I'm glad it stopped working to be honest. If it hadn't of, I may have stayed on it and no telling where I'd be. Yeah, restoril is a bad one to come off of. I was on it off and on about 3 1/2 months. The 15 mg only worked one time for me. I'm headed to the beach and have a feeling I'm about to have a really hard time with sleep. That's what I hate the most. Insomnia ruining things I always loved to do.

Stacey , Restoril / Temazapam was the first benzo I was given . When it became less effective my primary Dr. kicked in Klonopin . I think that those of us who are in recovery from this horrific combination of drugs may well have more difficulty in returning to a normal sleep pattern. We may also have more  muscular and nerve pain and R.L.S. at night.

Don't be discouraged . Eventually we will heal and we will be able to sleep normally . I was in tolerance withdrawal for months and even though I have a long way to go before I am fully healed I am doing so much better. I am grateful each and every day that the combination of drugs did not kill me .This is a quote from something Maya Angelou said 'When you knew better , you did better '. That's us to a T.

We do know better and we are doing better.

How did you get off the remeron? Was it horrible to get off of? I seriously wouldn't sleep at all if I didn't take that every once in a while.

My mistake in jumping off the remeron was not that I did it , but that I did a very short taper before jumping. It's been a little over six months and I'm still having side effects. The good thing is that I am getting natural sleep . It varies of course with the windows and waves pattern.

My mistake in jumping off the remeron was not that I did it , but that I did a very short taper before jumping. It's been a little over six months and I'm still having side effects. The good thing is that I am getting natural sleep . It varies of course with the windows and waves pattern.

What kind of side effects and how do you taper that?