Name a Movie You Like & Why

[Rx...]

I don't think so. Hollywood is very very liberal.

The article I cited above focuses on China who has great financial clout in Hollywood, benzogirl.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [Rx...]

• [az...]

• [Je...]

Top Posters In This Topic

That reminds me of an excellent film with Richard Gere in it which I’ve seen a couple of times now - ‘Unfaithful’.  I tried to do a link to imdb but can’t find how to get the url from an iPad - it seems to be blank?  Any advice welcome.  I’ll copy and paste the blurb instead.

Edward and Connie Sumner, who live in a commuter suburb of New York City with their adolescent son Charlie, have a relatively happy eleven year marriage, although they both lead hectic day-to-day upper middle class lives away from each other that take away from their ability to spend time together. They decided to move from the city following Charlie's arrival into their lives. One day in the city, Connie meets younger Frenchman Paul Martel, a used book seller, by literally running into him. Although not looking for anything outside of her marriage, Connie finds that she can't stop thinking about Paul, and despite looking for and receiving validation of the strength of her marriage to and from Edward, she and Paul embark on a passionate affair punctuated with light S&M, about which she feels both constant excitement and guilt. Over time, Edward begins to find clues both that all is not all right in their marriage and that Connie's stories about her day-to-day goings-on do not add up to the truth. What is he going to do if he finds out about the affair and what are the consequences for all of them?

A very good portrayal of how an affair can take hold and the consequences and quite steamy in parts!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing all!  Here's another from me.  It's called Still Mine.  I liked it because it shows that romance has no age limit.  A very sweet movie about true love.  Here is the trailer:

Cinema Paradiso a definite feel good movie.

Loved The Post, great acting & the freedom of the press theme more relevant than ever.

Agree!  I thought it was a fine movie, good script and well acted.  You could see Spielberg's imprint on it with themes of standing up to a bully in power.  Very relevant to right now.  Its a shame it resonates with those of us who actually lived through those events, but the younger generations who need to be paying attention  probably don't get it fully.

She

• 2 weeks later...
Muriels Wedding.. directed by Paul Hogan.  A good feel good Australia movie with lots of Abba songs and a tale of friendship between 2 young women  and Muriel's obsession about getting married - and she come from a town called Pawper Spit - great name.

Terms of Endearment. A great old movie starring Debra Winger and Shirley McClaine. I do not normally cry but this one always makes me cry. About an obsessive mother and her daughter who makes choices in her life that mom says she does not like. But she loves her daughter. Jack Nicholson plays a sex cad and he very funny. A sad ending..........

Great thread! So many to chose from but the one that comes to mind atm is

'The White Ribbon' by Michael Haneke. Beautifullly shot and acted and mesmerising to watch.

Not the cheeriest film but it is completely absorbing.

Conan the Barbarian (the original) because Thulsa Doom is like a benzodiazepine that needs to be conquered, the movie is underrated (especially since everyone except James Earl Jones and Max Von Sydow had never acted, and the soundtrack is wonderful.

I love "Amelie" with Audrey Tatou.  It has that whimsical touch of French movies and gorgeous scenes in Paris along with the uplifting story of wide eyed innocence of Amelie as she goes through life trying to make things better for those around her.

She

Thanks for the continued sharing all!  I've been away from watching movies lately, but want to get back to it.  Taking note of these recommendations.

• 2 months later...
Regarding Henry starring Harrison Ford.  About a man recovering from brain injury.  Sad story, but sweet and uplifting as well.  If you've seen/watch, you'll know what I mean. 

The Count of Monte Cristo, early 2000’s version.

It’s on betrayal and revenge, and the predicament of forgiveness (and so judgement and pride) it’s a classic story, it’s well-enough done visually for the time and finally it has a mood.

Also, I have a crush on the lead actor. I think he is more subtle in ways people don’t always see because of other aspects of himself.

The Count of Monte Cristo, early 200’s version.

It’s on betrayal and revenge, and the predicament of forgiveness (and so judgement and pride) it’s a classic story, it’s well-enough done visually for the time and finally it has a mood.

With Jim Caviezel.  Yes, saw that.  Bloody good one.  Woah, messed with the wrong guy.

The Count of Monte Cristo, early 200’s version.

With Jim Caviezel.  Yes, saw that.  Bloody good one.  Woah, messed with the wrong guy.

🌺👍🍉🦉

Thanks for the continued sharing all!  I've been away from watching movies lately, but want to get back to it.  Taking note of these recommendations.

I feel similarly.

Just thought of another one.  The Curious Case of Benjamin Button starring Brad Pitt.  Very imaginative story.  Not a dull moment.