Name a Movie You Like & Why

[Rx...]

Not a movie, but just finished watching the PBS documentary series on Vietnam.  My gosh, what suffering.  I liked that it was very informational, paid respect to innocents, gave remembrance, and gave a voice to many who actually experienced it.  Would not advise watching it during the deep horrors of withdrawal, however.  My best friend was in Vietnam and said it was very accurate and did not find bias.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [Rx...]

• [az...]

• [Je...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to check that one out too, benzogirl.  My gosh, what a tragedy that was too.

So much garbage out there to watch, I really appreciate any quality suggestions here.  Thanks all for chipping in to my thread. 

P.S.  Was it "13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi", benzogirl?  Could not quickly find a movie just called "Benghazi" doing a search.

No big deal.  Just wondered.  If it was, I did see that one quite awhile back.  Oh. My. Gosh.  Did not realize until after that one of the guys in it was in that show called The Office.

Not sure. I recall that event lasted at least 48 hours so why 13 hours? It was just so horrible and the guy who led that attack is right now on trial in DC. Private trial and he ain't saying anything at all. So he'll go to prison and stir up trouble there.

• 4 weeks later...
Taking Chance (starring Kevin Bacon).  Sad and very touching movie, but I liked it in that it gave respect to fallen soldiers.  Regardless of anyone's political feelings or feelings of war, it is a really big deal that people are willing to lay their life on the line for others as a job.  Really worth seeing.

The Lady in the Van starring the great Maggie Smith. It's true story ( a documentary) about a British author's experience with a homeless woman who parks her van in his driveway temporarily but it end up being 16 years, until she dies The author stars in the movie as well. Maggie also was the start of a British play by the same name. It part comedy and part drama. A sad reflection on what it is like to be homeless when you are a bright and educated woman. Maggie at her very best. She's very snarky and hilarious.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome Home.  A Hallmark movie starring Luke Perry.  I liked it because it was a reminder not to judge, that bad things can happen to anyone.  It also showed how a person's kindness can turn others' heartache completely around into something great.  Here's a preview:

The Bird Cage. All star cast of Robin Williams, the great Broadway actor Nathan Lane, Gene Hackman and Dianne Weist. I crack up every time I watch it. And that gay houseboy who keeps tripping because he's used to being bare foot.  :laugh: Here's the full movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrZdOKdX--g

bfb068b98e3be728e95f9d637553ce0c--robin-williams-movies-robin-williams-death.jpg

I liked the original La Cage Aux Folle better.

Omg sooo funny

It's an old movie

I’m loving this thread - it’s exactly what I was looking for on my hunt for the eternal distraction!  Could I make a plea though?  When you recommend a film/documentary can you say roughly what it’s about?  Just to give a quick idea of the kind of category it falls into?  Some of you have done this but there are some suggestions which are just titles and it would save me delving into imdb to check them out!  Thank you so much. 

My effort is ‘The Keepers’ on Netflix - a documentary about 2 women who made valiant efforts to discover what happened to a teacher of theirs in the convent they attended and who disappeared in strange circumstances.  They unearthed a litany of abuse but the whole thing is compelling to watch and very well made.

One of the films I love is ‘Vera Drake’ about a very well-meaning woman in the 1940s whose work as a back street abortionist was exposed and the effect it had on her whole family. 

And a few golden oldies - I love some of the black and white films - they really knew how to make ‘em in those days!

‘Dial M For Murder’ - an Alfred Hitchcock murder plot gone wrong;

‘Rear Window’ - another Alfred Hitchcock - and another murder discovered by a recuperating photographer whose only amusement (apart from the beautiful Grace Kelly) is spying on his neighbours’ apartments to relieve his boredom;

‘Sorry Wrong Number’ - yet another murder overheard on the telephone by a bedbound woman who desperately tried to get someone to believe her and stop it.  I have to confess I’ve often felt like Barbara Stanwyck (the main character in the film) in recent months!

And my very old favourite - ‘Brief Encounter’ - a wartime story of an affair with lots of passion and long, lingering looks and a beautiful musical score to accompany it :)

I earlier mentioned my favorite movie, The Bird Cage. Here is what it is about. It's a very funny comedy.

In this remake of the classic French farce "La Cage aux Folles," engaged couple Val Goldman (Dan Futterman) and Barbara Keeley (Calista Flockhart) shakily introduce their future in-laws. Val's father, Armand (Robin Williams), a gay Miami drag club owner, pretends to be straight and attempts to hide his relationship with Albert (Nathan Lane), his life partner and the club's flamboyant star attraction, so as to please Barbara's father, controversial Republican Sen. Kevin Keeley (Gene Hackman).

I’m loving this thread - it’s exactly what I was looking for on my hunt for the eternal distraction!  Could I make a plea though?  When you recommend a film/documentary can you say roughly what it’s about?  Just to give a quick idea of the kind of category it falls into?  Some of you have done this but there are some suggestions which are just titles and it would save me delving into imdb to check them out!  Thank you so much. 

My effort is ‘The Keepers’ on Netflix - a documentary about 2 women who made valiant efforts to discover what happened to a teacher of theirs in the convent they attended and who disappeared in strange circumstances.  They unearthed a litany of abuse but the whole thing is compelling to watch and very well made.

One of the films I love is ‘Vera Drake’ about a very well-meaning woman in the 1940s whose work as a back street abortionist was exposed and the effect it had on her whole family. 

And a few golden oldies - I love some of the black and white films - they really knew how to make ‘em in those days!

‘Dial M For Murder’ - an Alfred Hitchcock murder plot gone wrong;

‘Rear Window’ - another Alfred Hitchcock - and another murder discovered by a recuperating photographer whose only amusement (apart from the beautiful Grace Kelly) is spying on his neighbours’ apartments to relieve his boredom;

‘Sorry Wrong Number’ - yet another murder overheard on the telephone by a bedbound woman who desperately tried to get someone to believe her and stop it.  I have to confess I’ve often felt like Barbara Stanwyck (the main character in the film) in recent months!

And my very old favourite - ‘Brief Encounter’ - a wartime story of an affair with lots of passion and long, lingering looks and a beautiful musical score to accompany it :)

I've seen Rear Window by Alfred Hitchcock, MargUK.  Great flick!

Thanks all for the contributions!

I've seen Rear Window by Alfred Hitchcock, MargUK.  Great flick!

Thanks all for the contributions!

There was a remake made with Christopher Reeve after he was paralysed Rx which was passable but not a patch on the original!

Thanks for sharing, Sadpepe and Estee!

Another one from me is Hachi starring Richard Gere.  I liked it because it was a heartwarming tale of friendship and loyalty.  Might make you cry though.  Did for me.  Here's a trailer: 

Another one from me is Hachi starring Richard Gere.  I liked it because it was a heartwarming tale of friendship and loyalty.  Might make you cry though.  Did for me.  Here's a trailer: 

Rx: That trailer was so nice to watch. I must find that movie. I hear The Post, currently running, is great too. But Richard Gere, while very gifted, causes trouble on the set, so directors do not want to use him at times. I liked him in Officer and a Gentleman.

Rx: That trailer was so nice to watch. I must find that movie. I hear The Post, currently running, is great too. But Richard Gere, while very gifted, causes trouble on the set, so directors do not want to use him at times. I liked him in Officer and a Gentleman.

Thanks for sharing, benzogirl.  Maybe his stance on human rights rubs the business the wrong way?  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/richard-geres-studio-exile-why-his-hollywood-career-took-an-indie-turn-992258