Healed after 12 years!

[Mr...]

15 hours ago, [[C...] said:

I've been checked out a whole bunch of times and get regular labs. For me it isn't anything else and it's the same for a lot of others. I know it's comforting to think that everyone who is really protracted has other problems or is drinking or something else, but some of us are doing all the right things without other health issues and just aren't healed yet. 

Exactly. 

3 hours ago, [[r...] said:

Exactly. 

It bothers them that we exist, but it bothers me that a lot of folks are content to make themselves feel better by dragging us under the bus. Almost everything is for the newbies and when we have a small handful of protracted stories, some self-absorbed person always has to come on here and say ignorant crap. They want everything to be about them and their experience. Well, it isn't. I swear, there are a lot of kind people in this community, but there's also a lot of toxicity. This is one of the main reasons why protracted people leave and why they don't leave success stories. 

• Like 2

@[Ch...] i am sorry that you’ve suffered for that long. But for a moment, step into a newbie’s shoes. By telling them, they may (or not) suffer for 5-8–12 years, you are taking away their hopes, or probably pushing them back to meds, or suicide. Isn't it cruel? This section is about celebrating recoveries (i have no doubt you will), and not scaring anyone, especially when someone cant see the end of tunnel. So what if it takes that long, they will be mentally strong (as you are) but telling them up front takes away their little left hope of survival. Please don't kill their hopes so soon. This shall end. 

Edited by [Sa...]
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, [[S...] said:

@[Ch...] i am sorry that you’ve suffered for that long. But for a moment, step into a newbie’s shoes. By telling them, they may (or not) suffer for 5-8–12 years, you are taking away their hopes, or probably pushing them back to meds, or suicide. Isn't it cruel? This section is about celebrating recoveries (i have no doubt you will), and not scaring anyone, especially when someone cant see the end of tunnel. So what if it takes that long, they will be mentally strong (as you are) but telling them up front takes away their little left hope of survival. Please don't kill their hopes so soon. This shall end. 

I've been that newbie. Yeah, it's scary. But being protracted can be pretty scary, too, and everything can't revolve around newbies. We deserve encouragement, too. To suggest otherwise is incredibly selfish and unkind.

It's clear that this success story is about a very protracted person. We deserve success stories, too. Most of us protracted people stay in our own little group because of crap like this. You want everything to revolve around your feelings and for us to hide away. We're supposed to not be honest about our experiences and remain small and hidden (which we do, for the most part) because you might be scared. It's incredibly unfair to ask that. 90% of this site is for you. You can choose to not read protracted success stories. For us, it's a rare and encouraging lifeline. So I'd tell you to step in a protracted person's shoes, but you can't because you have no idea. You probably won't have to worry about it. 

Yes, we all heal. Yes, most people don't take a long time. But some of us do and we shouldn't have to be gaslit and have our feelings ignored and told that there must be something else wrong with us...that it's our fault in some way...after years of trying so hard to help ourselves, losing friends and having family check out, losing ourselves. You have no idea. That some of y'all can't see how upsetting that can be for us and then complain that we're scaring you... Everything is not about you.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

And another thing, don't you dare blame me or any other protracted person for making other people have SI. That's not fair at all. I'm not telling you or anybody else that they won't heal, because I don't believe that. But no one gets to choose their timeline. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Can I please remind everyone on this thread about our Guidelines for Commenting on Success Stories as per Colin's post below. I specifically want to highlight: "All comments to Success Stories should be positive and focused upon the achievements of the author. If you wish to discuss points from a Story relating to your own taper, withdrawal, or recovery, please start a thread on an appropriate forum".  Lets respect the journey the OP has been through.

On 29/06/2023 at 22:10, [[C...] said:

By posting your Success Story, you will help and encourage others in reaching their goals.

What constitutes 'success' will vary between individuals - it is for you determine what success means for you. If you have attained your benzodiazepine goals, we would like hear from you.

Please adhere to the following guidance:

• You should have achieved your goal;
  • Your Story should be uplifting and positive, and aim to inspire others to achieve their goals.

An important note about comments to Success Stories:

• All comments to Success Stories should be positive and focused upon the achievements of the author. If you wish to discuss points from a Story relating to your own taper, withdrawal, or recovery, please start a thread on an appropriate forum. You might send a direct Message inviting the author of a Success Story to comment to your thread. But please be mindful that the author is under no obligation to respond.

• Like 1

@[Mr...] did you have physical anxiety in chest, throat, stomach, or arms and legs?  did you have a line down the centre of your body that flared red hot with painful anxiety, or surges of painful anxiety that travelled up that line?

Good for you.

However, I read in the Ashton manual that withdrawal symptoms don't happen after 4 years of not taking benzos. I am in the 4th year and still feel there are a lot of symptoms of benzo withdrawal that I am going through (including panic attacks), but I am surprised to know that the symptoms can carry on much more than the 4th year. I was happy in a sense, thinking this would be my last 6 months remaining for the fourth year. 

Also, how long do memory problems take to heal, would anyone know that?

22 minutes ago, [[d...] said:

Good for you.

However, I read in the Ashton manual that withdrawal symptoms don't happen after 4 years of not taking benzos. I am in the 4th year and still feel there are a lot of symptoms of benzo withdrawal that I am going through (including panic attacks), but I am surprised to know that the symptoms can carry on much more than the 4th year. I was happy in a sense, thinking this would be my last 6 months remaining for the fourth year. 

Also, how long do memory problems take to heal, would anyone know that?

Who are you responding to? The OT?

Welcome to benzobuddies :)

Edited by Guest

I am so happy with this successtory.

you are a warrior mr b 

and much much much love to your wife for standing next to you♥️ She is golden!

may I ask you if you also had dystonia, muscles literally turning into stone feeling? I am so bad with this symptom I feel so scared. Also if feels like my body is exploding and pressed to death at the same time. Like chemical pressure everywhere. I hope you still sometimes respond here to some questions but I can understand you are tired and not willing to look back all the time. @[Mr...]