Antihistamine for insomnia? Never again!

[9e...]

I had one hell of a withdrawn from CTing Remeron. Low dose Remeron/mirtazapine is pretty much an antihistamine. Adrenaline surges, tachycardia, hypertensive crisis, panic, terror, dysautonomia, parasthesia, insomnia. It’s the reason I went on K and am in this mess. Be careful everyone with anything that affects histamine. When histamine rebounds it is a stimulating hormone- as is acetocholine.

Trustgod, I'm confused by your signature. it says you took K for ten years but Remeron from 2017-2018. Did you take Remeron before going on K more than 10 years ago?

I was given phenergan during pregnancy. Nobody told me it was an anti psychotic.

Phenergan is not just an antihistamine. That's why it's not used anymore (for a long time) for allergies. I think your issues are due to the other effects (anti-dopamine, etc.) of Phenergan and not the antihistamine effects.

I've tried both. Hydroxyzine helped me fall asleep. I've only tried CBD once and it actually made my insomnia worse. I had no prior experience with CBD and I'm not sure if I used the correct dose.

• 2 weeks later...

not all substances are equal, and we all respond to them differently. yes it is ideal not to take anything, but good sleep with a non-benzo drug might be a better option for many here.

I did use seroquel 10-25mg for some time post jump, and it saved my sleep. then I C/T with no issues (maybe 3-4 days heightened anxiety). yes it made me a bit of a zombie, but that feeling usually left by noon.

most non benzo sleep drugs are some sort of anti-histamines, seroquel, TCA's, anti-histamines etc. 

Also the dopamine receptor affinity of those drugs differs widely and is dosage dependent.  I do use occasionally hydroxyzine still and find it better then insomnia.

tldr; we should not demonize all drugs, for benzo w/d people, but not all drugs or supplements are the same and you need to make your own research

Seroquel is an Antipsychotic drug that is used to treat schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and depression.

Benzos work for a lot of people too.  Some people are able to take Benzos for 5, 10, or 20 years or longer and quit and never have withdrawal or other issues.  So those people that never had issues could easily say we shouldn't demonize Benzos as they work well for some?

Drugs are never the answer in my opinion.  Almost all drugs simply "mask" the underlying cause.  They "smash" out a person's "check engine light."  People don't develop sleep issues because of a lack of Seroquel or a Benzo in their blood.

There is some other cause for their sleep issues, anxiety, depression, etc.  Functional doctors are trained MDs that work on finding the underlying reason for a person's ailment and then treat it using natural methods.  They steer clear of drugs unless they could save a person's life.