How long does it take for benzos to leave your system?

[Co...]

Hi there, yes I think I am going to have to increase my dose until I see my new doctor. Anxiety has been really bad this afternoon. Any advice on if I should increase both doses of .125 to .25 or should i just increase 1 dose to .25 and see how I go? What is best if I just do one dose, to increase the morning one or the evening one? I want to stabilize as soon as possible so I can start the tapper and I have read about protracted withdrawal symptoms with over rapid withdrawal. I would so appreciate any advice. Thanks.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Co...]

• [fi...]

• [si...]

• [Su...]

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks fishingguy and skittles for the tips on electrolytes & adding salt to water.

I've found since starting tapering that I'm thirsty all the time, but don't feel satiated.  I've been eating potato chips but that doesn't feel so great.

I'm going to try the salty water idea. 

Also wondering... how about that coconut water?  It's super high in potassium.  Has anyone tried that for electrolytes?

hbm

I haven't tried coconut water (it is high in potassium).  Generally, people with adrenal fatigue (which I have experienced) feel worse after eating potassium-rich foods, so it's recommended that they just increase their sodium intake.  If you don't have problems with adrenal fatigue, I guess trying coconut water would be worth a shot.  If it doesn't work, then I would stay away from it.  Just my opinion.

oh darn, I should have done more research.  I just bought a case of it.  ::)  Electrolytes sounds like a good idea, but a lot of things are counterintuitive in benzo recovery land.

Thanks for your input fishingguy

hbm

hbm,

Hopefully the coconut water will not hurt you.  As long as you have a proper amount of sodium I don't see any problems.  I've been wanting to try coconut water for a while, so I may give it a shot.  Will probably wait until I'm off the K, however. 

By the way, I believe the main electrolytes in the human body are sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium and chloride.

Best wishes ...

Thanks Sigma,

How do you resolve the electrolyte need while supporting the adrenals?

or is that a individual thing...?

thanks in advance

healthy

thanks again fishingguy,

Electrolytes do seem to be a sensitive issue here. 

Many people have posted the pros and cons of magnesium and the different forms of mag (citrate, oxide etc.).  Not as much on potassium.  I'm already getting it in my food, with potatoes and bananas. I'll just have to find a balance with the others.

They must be closely related to gaba receptors? gabaergic?

I'm not sure if they are related to the GABA receptors or not.  However, if one is indeed suffering from adrenal fatigue, it is recommended that they stay away (as much as possible) from high-potassium (as well as high-glycemic) foods.  Sea Salt (some prefer Himalayan Salt) is recommended at every meal.  I think just listening to your body is the best thing to do.  There are times I have used too much Sea Salt (in either my food or a glass of water) and just wanted a glass of normal water (with no salt in it at all).  As the adrenals improve, the less salt a person will need.  Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

fishingguy,

Sorry, I just saw your response now.  It does help to hear about the sea salt.  Since you mentioned it I have been using it in place of any other salt.  I also have taken a couple of baths with it... for what that's worth.  ::)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't tried coconut water (it is high in potassium).  Generally, people with adrenal fatigue (which I have experienced) feel worse after eating potassium-rich foods, so it's recommended that they just increase their sodium intake.  If you don't have problems with adrenal fatigue, I guess trying coconut water would be worth a shot.  If it doesn't work, then I would stay away from it.  Just my opinion.

Is the celtic salt good to use for salt right now.. I was just wandering because that is what I have.

thank you

mishi

• 2 weeks later...
Colin is right on with his answer this is the best reply I have seen to this question  also benzo's can not be flushed from your system it just takes time  bando8888

• 3 weeks later...

new here

i agree with not rocking the boat with detox supplements

used a product called dti cleanze and did a number on me

started lowering my levels so bad i was in full blown wd though was on same dose

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Mathematician and I have tried to figure this so many times with Valium. I came up with graph after graph using Exponential Decay. It's hard to actually calculate how many weeks it takes for the Benzo to leave the system. With Valium.. I got two months, it should all be out by then.

I can leave you guys some of my work I did-

http://billyandhisjourney.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/diffeq-1.pdf

(This is the exact formula BTW).

This is not all I did. There is alot more. I will dig it out later.

Billy.

PS- Honestly, we are all a Variable.

• 3 weeks later...

So if your last dose is 1 mg Valium, then it is possible to have 0.08 mg in your system 30 days later... so when are we really benzo free?

What is the ideal last dose of Valium?  I probably will do .5 mg after I get down to 5 mg.  Then when I get to 2 mg, then water/milk titrate 10% off every week or so, that was my plan.  Does that seem reasonable?

Apparently my doctor has a way to get me low dose drops (presumably for babies).  So I might be able to taper really slowly.

Okay... so last night... I was so irritated about watching the last Valiums that I had in the bottle... four of them... counting the pills and the days... I just said "F**k it!" and took the last 4 10mg tablets yesterday evening.  Some of you may be horrified at that level of intake, but it was really not much of anything for me.  I had a good night's sleep and am now facing my first night without 10-20mgs of Valium.  I am okay with it so far.  I would imagine that the next few days might be interesting... and sometimes I  think the fear of not having the pills to fall back on is sometimes worse than the other actual physical/emotional effects.  So, I am done for now and I will post anything that I think is really horrific, but I am keeping a positive attitude in the face of some withdrawal symptoms that may arise.  I could not see myself taking tiny slivers of Valium and worrying about feeling bad if I did not.  This is my approach and as I have stated before, I am going to see this through even though some painful effects may rear their ugly heads.  This method is not for everyone with a benzo problem.  Cheers!  8)

Ampersand, I am feeling your pain. But I am concerned about you essentially doing a cold gobble-gobble (turkey) withdrawal. It is dangerous and you can have a seizure.

I unfortunately did a CT/WD in December, not by my own choice. The first three days it seemed as if I was OK, but by the third day every bone in my body felt like it was being twisted in knots. What helped me with the WD was Nerontin 300mg and Flexiral both for pain and sleep.

I am going to prepare you for some of the symptoms. You will hallucinate, that is incredibly frightening. I felt disassociated from my mind and body. The nausea was no fun at all.

The thing I am battling now is fatigue and depression. As the days pass the depression seems to get worse. Yesterday, I had a crying fit twice and the day before that I had another complete meltdown. I literally have to talk myself to sanity.

I am with you buddy and if you need to talk to someone whose been there please feel free to email me.

Hi Redwritinghood,

You must have missed it, but that post from Ampersand dates from more than four years ago, and he has not logged into the forum for a year.

Colin and others,

Again.... so you all know how each and every one of us react differently to our addictions.....I am still taking X every other nightand only feel  mild interdose s/x  40 hours after my last dose. The inter s/x I feel are a dizziness, and out of body feeling. I do take the generic alprozalam which I do not think makes a difference. Once I go lower, I may have to explore titration, but for now...I am sticking to a direct taper. Slow and steady...... :)

• 2 weeks later...

anyone know how long the damn ear noize after benzo stop are going to last normally?my 7 mounth now...

im scared it will be forever..