How long does it take for benzos to leave your system?

[Co...]

Maybe it was fate?  IMO I don't think it is a good idea to completely eliminate an entire food group when you body is in a recovery process...just me!  Why can't you meditate while coming off benzos?  I don't understand?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Co...]

• [fi...]

• [si...]

• [Su...]

Top Posters In This Topic

It was the rule of this organization.  Somehow Benzo's they said it takes 3 years of being off medication to be out of body.  It is a form of meditation. I don't about it.  Other than it was taught to you.  At time I was was very interested.  I can listen meditation CD's or learn on my own.  This particular one I guess is taught.  So perhaps it may be religion.  (I know not to discuss religions)  I was just so disappointed when some MD that is a part of this Meditation technique said it takes 3 years to be allowed to be taught meditation of Light and Sound.

That baffled me as why alcohol can leave system in 3 months but not benzo's.  Perhaps it just wasn't meant to be.  I longed to learn this form as my former therapist that retired told me about her meditation.  When she heard of new rules she was also surprised. 

I was seeking inner peace and to be with like minded people.  Apparently, I should view this as one door shuts a window opens. :)

It doesn't take three months for alcohol to leave your system (I would think it would be at undetectable levels within a few days); and it doesn't take Valium three years to be out of your system (even if you metabolized Valium at the extreme slow end of the spectrum, it would have to be at undetectable levels in less than two months).

[fc...]

There was a chemist that told me that valium stays in fat cells all your life  ::) Not true!!!

I don't think so.

it would have to be at undetectable levels in less than two months

I agree, from what I've studied.

• 2 weeks later...
They say apple pectin will get drugs out of your system fast. There is warnings that people on medications should be very careful with apple pectin because it can eliminate the medications out of your system. 

• 3 weeks later...
[fc...]

They say apple pectin will get drugs out of your system fast. There is warnings that people on medications should be very careful with apple pectin because it can eliminate the medications out of your system. 

I'm glad you got rid of the Tegretol, it's a good Anti-Convulsant, BUT it does eliminate the effects of Benzodiazepines, and that's a fact.

I was on Tegretol with Klonopin once and it killed the effects of the Klonopin, when I got rid of the Tegretol at that time and was put on Topamax, the effects of the Klonopin returned.

My Neurologist even said, "Ooops big mistake as the Tegretol and Klonopin don't mix well."

S#

I'm glad you got rid of the Tegretol, it's a good Anti-Convulsant, BUT it does eliminate the effects of Benzodiazepines, and that's a fact.

I was on Tegretol with Klonopin once and it killed the effects of the Klonopin, when I got rid of the Tegretol at that time and was put on Topamax, the effects of the Klonopin returned.

My Neurologist even said, "Ooops big mistake as the Tegretol and Klonopin don't mix well."

S#

Yes Tegretol induces Klonopin elimination. It was a big mistake to try it while on Klonopin. One of the dumb things I tried when I was desperate for relief in my early days. It caused much worse w/d that took a while to get better.

This explains why I was in severe withdrawal when I got out of detox. They put me on Tegretol to take me off the Ativan. At home I felt worse than I ever have in my entire life. I stopped the Tegretol and started the Ativan again. It took a few weeks until I felt better. Those detox doctors need to go back to school and take a course on benzo's and what drugs not to mix with them.

• 1 month later...

You also have to be careful not to overdo it with water, since it can flush out the electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc.) in your system.  My family doctor told me he knows of at least one death attributed to drinking too much water.  He told me to just go by my thirst (not by trying to drink half of your bodyweight in ounces per day).

Also, the GABA receptors are affected by benzo's, and to my knowledge, no amount of additional water will help them heal quicker (as long as you are staying properly hydrated but not overdoing it).

Hope this helps.

is there any kind of average time for healing?  is it considered to be approximately 4-6 months? ( i know there are many variables, but just wondering generally?  thanks, ???

[ad...]

Fishingguy wrote: My family doctor told me he knows of at least one death attributed to drinking too much water.

There is a psychiatric illness, polydipsia (sorry if I spelled it wrong...), in which the person is compelled to drink water almost constantly. I was a psychiatric social worker until I lost my job in April and I know I had one client who had schizophrenia and polydipsia. He lived in a group home, where his water intake could be monitored. He got picked up by the police for causing a scene in public and was put in jail. He quickly began consuming water and within a few days had died from over-consumption of water.

So, yes, your doctor is right, but polydipsia is a very rare illness and the consumption of water is virtually non-stop.

I live in Arizona, where it's HOT, so it's important here to drink water regularly or risk becoming dehydrated.

Take care and best wishes.

Me on Day 1 of yet another C/T:  :-X

TDH

Tuscondeadhead,

Thank you for your input.  I did not know there was a psychological disease that caused one to drink too much water.  Interesting.  I think my doctor was actually referring to an individual who drank so much water that it depleted the electrolytes, and that is probably what killed the individual.  Yes, in hot places such as Arizona, you definitely need to increase your water intake.  Some individuals suggest putting 1/4th to 1/2 of a teaspoon of sea salt in a glass of water to make sure that they are not sodium depleted.  I think this is more for people facing adrenal fatigue, however.  I will say that I have noticed that I felt better when I drank water with Electrolytes in it than just reverse osmosis or filtered water.  Just my experience.  I guess the main thing is just to listen to you body, as everyone's needs are different.

Thank you for you post.

• 2 weeks later...

You also have to be careful not to overdo it with water, since it can flush out the electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc.) in your system.  My family doctor told me he knows of at least one death attributed to drinking too much water.  He told me to just go by my thirst (not by trying to drink half of your bodyweight in ounces per day).

Also, the GABA receptors are affected by benzo's, and to my knowledge, no amount of additional water will help them heal quicker (as long as you are staying properly hydrated but not overdoing it).

Hope this helps.

I know this, I almost killed myself with water, listening to advise of half your body weight. It does flush out your electrolites. I was pretty near death and my blood pressure was dropping and my new doctor told me to eat salty chips with water to retain it.

Gladyou posted this.

I was pretty near death and my blood pressure was dropping and my new doctor told me to eat salty chips with water to retain it.

I have Hypotension pretty bad, it has went as low as 80/50.

Skittles, what kind of chips do you eat?

Thanks.

I wanted to add to the post about to much water consumption.

I almost killed myself with too much water consumption in severe paradoxial w/d, it was depleting my electrolites. I am so thankful my new doctor told me to eat a bag of salty chips and drink water. That caused my body to retain the fluids.

So, yes you have to be careful with water consumption, eat or drink something with electrolites.

After I looked it up, I was shocked but now was knoweldgable about water.

You have to be balanced not to much, not to little.

I wanted to add to the post about to much water consumption.

I almost killed myself with too much water consumption in severe paradoxial w/d, it was depleting my electrolites. I am so thankful my new doctor told me to eat a bag of salty chips and drink water. That caused my body to retain the fluids.

So, yes you have to be careful with water consumption, eat or drink something with electrolites.

After I looked it up, I was shocked but now was knoweldgable about water.

You have to be balanced not to much, not to little.

I have some paradoxical effects, but I think we all do on lower doses.

What paradox effects did you have?

Hope you're feeling better, Skittles.  Thanks for your post.  People have indeed died from a lack of electrolytes as well as an over-consumption of water.  Balance is definitely the key.  Right now I just make sure I add sea salt to items that need to be salted.  I was adding about 1/4th to 1/2 of a teaspoon of sea salt to my water.  After a while, however, I could tell it was too much by the taste.  One book I read on Adrenal Fatigue was by James Wilson.  That's where I learned that most people with adrenal fatigue are low in sodium.  I'm sure a good number of people trying to come off of Benzo's have experienced Adrenal Fatigue to some degree or another.  Just my thoughts.

I've decided to move into this topic for the rapid taper that I am doing.   I was at 30mg on Friday, 20mg on Saturday and then only 10mg of Valium on Sunday.   Today, returning to work, I felt dull and fatigued (which I have felt in the past when lowering a daily dosage), so I had to climb back up to 20mg of Valium to feel "normal".   I plan on going back to 10mg tomorrow for 2 days and then 5mg for another 2-3 days, then cold turkey after that.  This should work for me, but I wouldn't suggest this for anyone.  I figure that the symptoms will hit around Friday, so I've got at least 2 days to writhe in bed and drink gallons of water over the weekend.   Hopefully, I'll find some activities on the weekend to ease the bizarre after effects and Monday will be more energetic for me.   I know that Colin would like us all to follow a more structured and lengthy taper, but I can't do it.   It is all or nothing for me.   It is much too easy to get some sort of benzo for sleep as my doctor knows my long struggle with insomnia.   All I have to do is pick up the phone and call the pharmacy and they'll call doc and the prescription will be ready.  When I reach that point, and don't make that call and I can still type here honestly with no bullcrap, then I will be on my way.   Until then, this is only a nice story.   :sneaky:    :angel:

Read some stories from people who have been through the detox horror. This is about what you may go through by going down too fast. I was a victim of detox. I do understand your wanting to be off the beno's fast. I want the same thing. In fact I bet everyone on this site will agree that they wish suddenly stopping benzo's would be safe and easy. The truth is that it's not for most. It took me 10 years to get to where I am. It's probably going to take a year or so to get off the drug.

Miss Kim,

You are right, slow and steady tapering is the safest way to stop benzos.  While taking benzos our body made neuroadaptations to try to compensate for the depressant effect of the benzo, by down regulating receptor sites and possibly stepping up the Glutamate excitatory neurotransmitter system.

This means when we stop benzos abruptly we are left wit less GABA and more excitatory activity which can be detrimental to our neurons.  By tapering we allow the body to gradually restore GABA function and avoid this sharp contrast between the excitatory Glutamate and inhibitory (calming) GABA neurotransmitter systems, thus protecting our neurons.

I know how slow and tedious tapering can be, believe me.  But the full-blown psychosis I experienced from detoxing, which I now believe was from the lop-sided Glutamate activity effecting my NMDA receptors, was NOT fun.  Going off too fast and not allowing these neuroadaptations to reverse can set you up for protracted withdrawal as well.

Here is a good article from wikipedia that explains everything I said.  Remember, a slow and steady taper wins the race!!!

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_dependence

Can someone tell me, if I took .5 Clonazepam (.25 am and .25 pm) on Saturday, what is the longest time that any of this could remain in my system?  Could I expect this dose to be out of my system by now (5 days later). Reason I am asking is because I have been taking this drug rather haphazardly since March and am trying to stabilize myself on a dose so I can begin to start tappering down from it. I haven't been taking .25 x 2 each day on a regular basis, more like .25 as needed but still quite often.  I am wondering if .125 x 2 a day is going to be too low. I have been taking this amount over the past few day and am getting quite a bit of anxiety. Advice needed ASAP please. Thank you.

Clonazepam clears out of your blood pretty quickly.  I doubt you have any left in there from last Saturday now.

If you're having trouble on the total of 0.25 daily, how about going to one dose of 0.25 and one dose of 0.125 daily?  Or just starting at 0.25 twice a day if that's what it takes to stabilize.  Personally I don't recommend "pushing through" withdrawal symptoms.  Especially at the beginning of a taper.  You want to start your taper feeling stable, otherwise you may never stabilize.  It IS possible to have a taper that's not miserable if you are careful.