• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [pa...]

• [Be...]

• [Ch...]

• [Co...]

Hi all,

If I might suggest, I think rather than quizzing Patrick over his exact timeline of recovery (for clues to how you might progress), I think it would be better to focus upon his other message: getting on with his life and not focusing upon recovery times, progress, etc. Of course I understand why members going through the process are looking for answers, but it is not sensible to look for them in tougher cases like Patrick's and mine. The reality is that the vast majority of you will feel completely recovered and will be getting on with your lives (not giving benzodiazepines a second thought) long before the 4-5 year mark. And if takes that long, just try to appreciate and enjoy the improvements along the way.

I think I probably took a similar amount of time to recover as Patrick. But, in my experience (I think it was the same for Patrick) the reason for it being difficult to provide an exact timeline is because gradual recovery means there is no clear-cut line between feeling sick and feeling recovered. The truth is that we start doing many things we were previously incapable of doing for a long time before what we might define as 'recovered'. My best advice is to concentrate upon the improvements and get on - as best you can - with your lives. Focusing upon what you can do can only help, and the rest will rectify itself over time.

For those who have been on benzodiazepines for decades, and lament at never feeling how they did 20 or 30 years years before: that's how everyone feels. It is just that most people deal with those changes gradually (being properly aware of how they 'feel') so it does not impact us the same way. I probably experienced this 'shock' to mild degree, having lost about ten years (to use and recovery). You'll adjust to the newer/older you with time.

Man, this is good to hear.

What a long time of suffering. Hoping with every ounce of my being that mine won't take quite as long (only 7 months off right now  :-\ )

All the best to you in your new life.

25 mg is a stupid amount. Would doctors even prescribe that much? I remember hearing about a man named Barry Haslam, who was prescribed 30 mg of Ativan a day, and I thought that was crazy amount. 25 mg of Xanax is equivalent to 50mg of Ativan. If you can walk away from that and be fine he must have super human genetics or something. Barry Haslam has reportedly had some brain shrinkage and permanent cognitive deficits from his usage and is now an activist for raising benzo awareness.

this first time i was on benzo's i had gotten up to 200mg daily valium plus about 20mg klonopin. (i know it's hard to believe, but it's true) yes i had a seizure.

then i was benzo free for 7 years and stupidly got back on klonopin and at one point was up to 22mg klonopin so

it's not such a stretch for people to go up to that high of a dose.

Patrick,

thank you so much for coming back and sharing your success. i had just started a post on the protracted section stating that i know about 4 people on here who all talk about their healing at the 8 year mark and how hopeful i am about that so thank you! :)

Thank you all so much for your replies. And sorry if i do not answere all your questions instantly.

And a very special "Thank You" to Colin, for his wise words and for saving my life in the truest sense of the word 11 years ago :smitten:

Thank you all so much for your replies. And sorry if i do not answere all your questions instantly.

And a very special "Thank You" to Colin, for his wise words and for saving my life in the truest sense of the word 11 years ago :smitten:

Thank you for your replies, Patrick.  Your answers made your experience and recovery far more helpful and encouraging to the "protracted" members of BB.

I'm glad Colin was there to help you all those years ago.

Joe

11 years and over 4 months BENZO-FREE myself! :thumbsup:

Nice to see you, Patrick!  Hadn't been here in a long while...but your pm drew me back to say hello. :smitten:

Lisa!!!!!!!

How are you? Long time no see  :smitten:

Nice to see you, Patrick!  Hadn't been here in a long while...but your pm drew me back to say hello. :smitten:

Lisa!!!!!!!

Dealing with health issues that are separate from BZ WD, but still fighting the good fight.  Can you believe my dtr is 18?  I am so old! :o

did you have much pain during recovery?

Not so much pain, but no sleep, fears and panic.

Maybe some pain in my back, neck, shoulders and headache, but not for a long time.

Lisa!!!!!!!

Dealing with health issues that are separate from BZ WD, but still fighting the good fight.  Can you believe my dtr is 18?  I am so old! :o

She is 18y? omg, time is a beast  :tickedoff:

But you are not old

I had a slipped disc 2 times, but it's ok now.

I try to live a healthy life, no meds, no docs. Most time it works  :)

Lisa!!!!!!!

She is 18y? omg, time is a beast  :tickedoff:

But you are not old

I had a slipped disc 2 times, but it's ok now.

I try to live a healthy life, no meds, no docs. Most time it works  :)

Slipped discs are NO fun!  Glad that got better! :thumbsup:

I am on a BP med only.  I was off for about 8 months after dropping some weight and had to return to it after gaining it back.  But I will be changing my lifestyle slowly and can hopefully finally rid myself of that last med.  I HATE it! :tickedoff:

Congrats Patrick59! I'm in the middle of being weaned off by my doc. Still feel really crappy most days, even having a difficult time reading what I'm writing with constant headache and blurred vision. I can't wait to be where you are now! How long did it take to feel somewhat normal? I'm having a hard time trying to differentiate between stress and withdrawals.

Thank you and so happy for you!

Mardi

Congrats Patrick59! I'm in the middle of being weaned off by my doc. Still feel really crappy most days, even having a difficult time reading what I'm writing with constant headache and blurred vision. I can't wait to be where you are now! How long did it take to feel somewhat normal? I'm having a hard time trying to differentiate between stress and withdrawals.

Thank you and so happy for you!

Mardi

Hi Mardi, sorry, but i can not say how long it took to feel normal. Some months, but it got constantly better

Congratulations! I hope in 10 years (I'm 7 1/2 months off Xanax, 4-6mg, Addicted, no other drugs, sober), I will come back and remember the strength and insight this forum offers. Very Cool of you to say Hello! Good Luck and Lots of Peace, Love, and Empathy! Karuna