10 years free now

[pa...]

Amazing that you came back to give others hope that this is not permanent!

That's the biggest fear but nothing is permanent. We heal at different rates but we do heal even when it seems time has forgotten about us.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [pa...]

• [Be...]

• [Ch...]

• [Co...]

Thank you so much for this post and I couldn't be happier for you. 25 mg/ day? God bless you! Your story is inspiring. I'm having a rough time lately with mental stuff. So glad I saw this. I hope you're enjoying your new life, as I'm sure you are!!

25 mg is a stupid amount. Would doctors even prescribe that much? I remember hearing about a man named Barry Haslam, who was prescribed 30 mg of Ativan a day, and I thought that was crazy amount. 25 mg of Xanax is equivalent to 50mg of Ativan. If you can walk away from that and be fine he must have super human genetics or something. Barry Haslam has reportedly had some brain shrinkage and permanent cognitive deficits from his usage and is now an activist for raising benzo awareness.

Thank you so much for this post and I couldn't be happier for you. 25 mg/ day? God bless you! Your story is inspiring. I'm having a rough time lately with mental stuff. So glad I saw this. I hope you're enjoying your new life, as I'm sure you are!!

25 mg is a stupid amount. Would doctors even prescribe that much? I remember hearing about a man named Barry Haslam, who was prescribed 30 mg of Ativan a day, and I thought that was crazy amount. 25 mg of Xanax is equivalent to 50mg of Ativan. If you can walk away from that and be fine he must have super human genetics or something. Barry Haslam has reportedly had some brain shrinkage and permanent cognitive deficits from his usage and is now an activist for raising benzo awareness.

It was not prescribed by doctors. Just in the beginning, but not more than 3mgs/day. Later i bought it illegal in internet, or from friends in thailand and spain. I know its a sad record, nothing to be proud about. Maybe it was a kind of slow suicide. But i'm completly healed now. No symtoms since years, very healthy, no memory problems etc.

Your honesty is refreshing....I, too, was into the internet purchase of Xanax 10 years ago then got RX'd Klonopin ever since.

I am glad you visit...it would be unhealthy to forget this trip through hell...especially because Benzo's are such instant gratification before tolerance and escalation sets in!!!

Any memory cognitive impairment??.

I'm only at 62 days ,would be reassuring to hear from a long time recovery..

no, nothing. Memory as good as before benzos in 1993 :-)

Congratulations Patrick :)

Did you experience any troubles with palpitations, or elevated blood pressure?

Wishing you continued blessings :)

Anu

In my early taper-days. I do a lot of sports now, and my blood pressure is very low

Just read some of my old posts in the archive. There where so many good friends here who helped me in my darkest hours. Most of them are not longer here, but i want to say Thank You to those who are still members here  :thumbsup:

It was not prescribed by doctors. Just in the beginning, but not more than 3mgs/day. Later i bought it illegal in internet, or from friends in thailand and spain. I know its a sad record, nothing to be proud about. Maybe it was a kind of slow suicide. But i'm completly healed now. No symtoms since years, very healthy, no memory problems etc.

That's amazing, very happy that you are completely healed now!!! Very motivating. Did you took some supplement (like magnesium or vitamine D ) after the withdrawal. How was your sleep recovery over the years ? What was your diet ? Sorry for all the questions but you healed from a crazy amount you must know a thing or two about recovering from these horrible drugs.

Patrick,

Did I read that correctly in your sig that you were on 25mg/day of xanax?! Wow that is the most xanax I have ever heard of by far.  My max was like 6mg/day and that was a ton.  You are blessed to be free, and congratulations!

That's amazing, very happy that you are completely healed now!!! Very motivating. Did you took some supplement (like magnesium or vitamine D ) after the withdrawal. How was your sleep recovery over the years ? What was your diet ? Sorry for all the questions but you healed from a crazy amount you must know a thing or two about recovering from these horrible drugs.

I took magnesium and i still do, because i go to sauna twice a week. No special diet, but healthy food and no alcohol. My sleep was very bad during and after tapering, but very slowly it got better and better. I remember that i was surprised when i wook up one day after months after my last tiny dose and felt fresh and no fear. Since years my sleep is very good, not every day, but most days

Patrick!!! A decade off benzos, what a milestone for you.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us, our members do need to hear from those who have gone on, there is often doubt ( instigated by withdrawal) that healing happens. 

I'm happy for you Patrick, enjoy your wellness, grab the brass ring and live your life.

pianogirl  :smitten:

I took magnesium and i still do, because i go to sauna twice a week. No special diet, but healthy food and no alcohol. My sleep was very bad during and after tapering, but very slowly it got better and better. I remember that i was surprised when i wook up one day after months after my last tiny dose and felt fresh and no fear. Since years my sleep is very good, not every day, but most days

Thank you for the answer Patrick !! 

Thanks for the update, Patrick.  There are many of us on BB who have been working through recovery issues for many years, 5 for me and 6 to 8 for others, and I'm sure we'd all like to know: 1) when you felt near fully recovered, and 2) how did the sxs eventually end or diminish.

Thanks.  Joe

sxs=symptoms

Patrick59..you know I appreciate your presence...maybe even more than you know!!  Do you feel comfortable posting about why you are with us now?  Are we helping you process what you have been through? I know you are helping many of us, and I hope we are helping you!!!

sxs=symptoms

Patrick59..you know I appreciate your presence...maybe even more than you know!!  Do you feel comfortable posting about why you are with us now?  Are we helping you process what you have been through? I know you are helping many of us, and I hope we are helping you!!!

Hi Choco,

i found some old hand-writen records of my taper and was wondering how long i did not even think about benzos or taper or withdrawal. So i logged in here and read some of the old an new posts. I wrote an pm to colin and he asked me to write some words about how i feel today, and so i did.

sxs=symptoms

Hi Choco,

i found some old hand-writen records of my taper and was wondering how long i did not even think about benzos or taper or withdrawal. So i logged in here and read some of the old an new posts. I wrote an pm to colin and he asked me to write some words about how i feel today, and so i did.

That's great, Patrick.  You're a walking success story!

Your answers to these questions could be of great help to those of us still dealing with symptoms 4 to 8 years out:

1) when you felt near fully recovered?, and 2) how did the symptoms eventually end or diminish?

Thanks; glad you're doing so well!

Joe

sxs=symptoms

Hi Choco,

Your answers to these questions could be of great help to those of us still dealing with symptoms 4 to 8 years out:

1) when you felt near fully recovered?, and 2) how did the symptoms eventually end or diminish?

Joe

Hi Joe,

it's not so easy to answere these questions. Maybe you find some answers in my old blog in the archiv. I remember that i felt nearly fully recovered when my sleep gets better and better. When my hands stopped shaking, when i stopped sweating in stress situations, when i did not feel fear or panic. But i can not say when this all happened. I did not write a diary as i did in my taper. Some day i realised that i had not thought about benzos or taper for weeks or months. Maybe that is when i felt recovered. I hope the answers are ok for you? But please feel free to ask whatever you want to know!

sxs=symptoms

Hi Choco,

Joe

Hi Joe,

it's not so easy to answere these questions. Maybe you find some answers in my old blog in the archiv. I remember that i felt nearly fully recovered when my sleep gets better and better. When my hands stopped shaking, when i stopped sweating in stress situations, when i did not feel fear or panic. But i can not say when this all happened. I did not write a diary as i did in my taper. Some day i realised that i had not thought about benzos or taper for weeks or months. Maybe that is when i felt recovered. I hope the answers are ok for you? But please feel free to ask whatever you want to know!

Thanks.  Can you recall basically the number of years it took to feel "recovered"?  In other words, did it take 4 or 5 years before you felt recovered?