helping me with titration schedule

[An...]

Hello

I am ready to start tapering with the titration method. Is there someone who can make a schedule? I tried to do it myself in Excel, but I didn’t succeed.

My current dose of Rivotril (clonazepam) is 0,5 mg at 18.00 o’clock and 0,375 at around 23.30 o’clock. I want to titrate a max of 10% every 2 weeks.

The problem is, the pill at 23.30, the 0,375 mg is a 0,5 mg pill. I used to break it in two pieces, and then one half of it in two pieces, so I ended up with approximately 0,375 mg. Not very secure as I come to understand now.

That’s why I want to titrate this dose with a 0,5 mg pill, and drink only the amount needed. Reducing of course gradually.

I think it’s best I use both pills, so 2 x 0,5 mg to make a liquid only once a day.

I want to start reducing the late night dose first.

Thanks in advance

Andikira.

HI, Andikira.

Colin needs the following information before he can create a titration schedule for you:

Start date: when you would like your titration to start.

Dose: the dose you anticipate you be taking at the start date (in mgs).

Tablet dose: the dose of your individual tablets.

Number of tablets: the total number (and/or fractions) of tablets you take per day. Examples: 2 tabs; 2.5 tabs; 0.75 tabs. These are the number of tablets (not doses), and the tablets used must be of the same dosage (strength).

Taper rate: if you are unsure, ask for the input of others. The majority of people probably titrate at a rate of about 10% of their dose every 7-14 days. If you are unsure of where to start, and unless you have good reason to think you need a particularly slow taper, 1% per day is probably a good starting point. The taper plan can be altered later if need be.

Cylinder details: I will need to know the size of the cylinder you are using (100ml is recommended). I will also need to know that size of the marked increments. Just make sure that there enough increments for the given cylinder to ensure that the pill can be divided into small fractions (100ml cylinder with 1ml increments is always fine; 100ml with 2-5 increments is probably fine; 50ml with 5ml increments is not very useful). If you are using very large dose pills (for your given benzo), such as 10mg Valium or 2mg Xanax, you will absolutely need lots of increments. This usually means a 100ml cylinder with 1ml increments.

Hi Andikira,

I can do a simplified titration for you but I need to clarify your post. You take 0.5mg at 1800 (6pm) and 0.375mg at 2330 (11:30 pm). So a total of 0.875mg klonopin daily. Is this correct?

Let us know also if you have a 100 ml cylinder with 1ml increments. If not, we can give you a plan using household kitchen items.  :)

Thanks for replying to my post. Indeed, I do take 0,875 mg a day. I have tablets of 0,5. At 18.00 I take one. What to do with the second dose (11.30 pm) I don't know, because to split a pill is not that accurate. The 0,5 mg pill allows me only to cut it in two pieces. To cut the other piece in two pieces (in order to get exactely 0,375mg) is guessing where to put the knife exactely. Do you understand what I mean?

I was thinking to use for the 11.30 pm dose a 0,5 mg pill. To put it in 100 ml water. To take 25 ml water out, so I'll have exactely 0,375 mg solved in water. And then titrate from this. Do you think this makes sense?

I use a 100 ml cilinder with 1 ml increments.

Thank in advance Eljay

Andikira

I was thinking to use for the 11.30 pm dose a 0,5 mg pill. To put it in 100 ml water. To take 25 ml water out, so I'll have exactely 0,375 mg solved in water. And then titrate from this. Do you think this makes sense?

Andikira

Yes, that is basically all there is to it. From there, you can taper as much or as little as you like.

If you would like to make one mixture for the day, using both 0.5mg pills, here is what you can do. This method will allow you to reduce both doses evenly if you want.

Crush and mix thoroughly, two 0.5mg pills in 100ml's of liquid every day. Then, remove 12 mls.

So ,

Day one....Make your 1mg/100ml liquid mixture and remove 12ml. That will make an 0.88mg mixture. Drink half the mixture at 1800. Save the other half for your 2330 dose. If using milk, make sure to refrigerate it. Also, make sure to reshake it well.

Day two....Make your mixture and remove 13ml's. Do the same as above.

Day three....Remove 14 ml's. Do the same as above.

etc..... Keep a note book so you don't lose track.

This rate will take you 88 days to complete.

You can always adjust the rate depending on how you are feeling.

Please ask if you have any questions!

Hello,

Although I'm titrating very very slowly, I'm quitting today. With such a small toddler I have to take care of, I'm not able to get off the medication.

Yesterday didn't go well at all and I'm mostly concerned about my child. My reactions yesterday were very different of what he's used to. You know he's completely used to have my attention all day, and usually we are very close and do many things together. Yesterday I was extremely irritated with every naughty thing he did. And I became angry all the time, because I didn't feel well. He even started to be more naughty and demanding because I reacted this irritated and didn't have the mood to do something. All I wanted all day was to sit on the couch, read and sleep. Of course a small child doesn't give you the opportunity to do this. And from early in the morning till late at night I'm alone with him. At last I started to understand that he was confused with my behavior.

I decided to postpone quitting the medication until he's older and is able to understand some things. I'm sure then I will make it, but I need more quietness to do this. Let no one be discouraged by this, because I'm sure the titration method is the best way to get off. I just want to share this experience with you all. Sometimes the circumstances are not the right ones. Besides I'm functioning very well for many years on clonazepam. As I said before, my life is more stable then ever before.

We will meet again in the future.

Thank you all!

Andikira

startdose: 0,875

titration day 1: 0,871

titration day 2: 0,868

titration day 3: 0,868

titration day 4: 0,864

titration day 5: 0,860

titration day 6: 0,856

titration day 7: 0,856

Hello Andikira,

We understand the need to make the right choice for your life at the right time.  You have our support anytime you need it, thank you for letting us know your decision.  We'll be here to help if you need us.  :thumbsup:

Pam