Any remron/mirtazapine success stories.

[Ma...]

I'd like to hear any success stories from the above medication. I changed to the liquid after reinstating. I'm down to four mills and don't know if what I'm feeling is withdrawal or the effects of the  bad cold I have at the moment. I reduced from 4 1/2 to 4 three days ago. I felt good most of January and was sleeping ok at least 5 hours a night albeit broken sleep. Anyone going through this withdrawal who'd like to share.

Frank

Didn't have any bad withdrawals when I was on it, went from 30-15-7.5-0mg in 3 weeks. then I went back on 7.5 til I found something else for sleep.

I pooped a lot and had a pretty consistent, yet mild, headache.

[77...]
I'm getting off of it, I've been on 7.5 mg. for 2 1/2 years.  It doesn't work anymore and it made me put on 20 pounds.  I took 3.75 mg. the last two nights with no problems.  I'm doing that for another week and then jumping off.  Wish me luck. :-X

It may be a low dose, but believe me........it's not quite so simple. (at least for me)

I have been on and off Remeron for a couple of years. This last time, for almost a year, I was on a maximum of 3.75 mgs.

I get mine compounded into a liquid form.

In December 2015, I decided to start tapering. By early January 2016, I had reached 2 mgs. Then....out of nowhere, my anxiety went through the roof. Was it the lack of Remeron? Seems very unlikely, but who knows. It's always hard to pin down "1" variable when a huge wave hits.

Anyway, I updosed to 4mgs. Did nothing.

I have now updosed to 5 mgs. I'm better. My sleep has not returned, but the unbridled anxiety has diminished significantly.

Question is: do I wait till Spring to try again? I still haven't decided.

All I know is that I was off Remeron completely for 6 months in 2014, and was functioning pretty well. Then I had eye surgery, and was hit with a huge wave of anxiety. Crap.

This is a nasty game we're being forced to play. And....it's not a GAME!

So in other words. Yes. I got off Remeron "successfully" a couple of times at ver low doses. This time? Not a cake walk.

I know you didn't ask me Jc but it did cause significant weight gain while I was on it. I am usually around 155-165 and I reached 225 on Remeron for 9 months. When I stopped taking it I lost like 5lbs a week til I got back down to 160. I'm 6'2, so I'm skinny but this is more or less my "natural" weight. I've been at and maintained 170 but with substantial powerlifting and 4,500+ calories a day. On a regular diet with less heavy lifting 160 is about my max.

I have/had no weight gain on Remeron. Keep in mind that except for one day at the very start at 7.5mgs, I have never taken more than 4 mgs on a regular basis. (except of course these last 4 days @ 5 mgs. At the beginning I felt myself really fighting the urge to eat crappy carbs, but that feeling passed.

I really did like the good sleeps I was having at the beginning even at such a low dose.

I am obviously very sensitive to drugs. Perfect, huh?

Just for clarification, remeron does not cause weight gain, but it does often cause an increase in appetite, and a craving for sweets and carbs.  You will only gain weight if you increase your calorie intake.  Remeron does not change your metabolism. 

I took remeron for almost 3 years, 22.5-30mg/day...no weight gain.

Yes Builder. I agree. However you must be prepared to fight those cravings. Someone described the urges as wanting to eat sugar straight out of the bag. 😳

[77...]
I had lost 40 pounds in a couple months in acute withdrawal and the Remeron made me crave sweets so badly and put on 20....I still crave sweets.  I'm hoping this will subside once off of it.

Yeah I should've stated that I gave into the "Hunger" as I called it, I'd destroy the pantry after taking my Remeron for sleep and eat everything that said carb on it.

Yes Builder. I agree. However you must be prepared to fight those cravings. Someone described the urges as wanting to eat sugar straight out of the bag. 😳

That was meeeee! I have literally stared at a bag of sugar and had to fight the urge off in my mind. . . But I gave into the hunger as stated above. I believe Remeron is also used off label for people going through chemo who have no appetites as well as those with eating disorders.

[77...]
Days one and two cutting down to 3.75 mg. were fine.  Then last night and the night before, I woke up with the most intense anxiety bordering on panic just as I was drifting off....most unpleasant.  I took some extra gabapentin and was able to sleep.  I'm hoping this will be temporary til my body adjusts.

jc, I think that's a pretty deep cut you made in your dosage in two days. Am I reading correctly that you moved from 7.5 to 3.75 in one cut?

The symptoms you described are exactly what I felt after tapering slowly from 3.75 to 2.0 over the course of over 1 month. It was at that point I updosed and am now sitting at 5.0 mgs. I want to start tapering, (even slower this time), but I'm going to wait a month or two for the warm Spring weather.

To me, it looks like you have two options. 1) keep going with your current dose of 3.75 and be prepared for increased symptoms....or....2) go back up to 7.5 and start a slower taper.

I wish you luck in whatever decision you make.

[77...]
Last night was fine, I did take extra gabapentin before bed.  I am going to start working on getting off of that later.  I don't know how I would do a smaller cut because the pills are so small....how do you know how much 2 mg. is?

Yes. That is problematic. I get mine compounded into liquid form. Several issues with that. First and foremost, it only has a 2 week lifespan. Second, it must be kept in the fridge. And third, it's very costly.

I'm wondering if a pharmaceutical grade scale would do the trick.

Maybe someone out there has tried that?

Might be too late but I'd advise you to take benadryl or something to help you sleep, if that's been acting as your sleep aid. I don't believe you have much to fear other than diarrhea and a blunt headache, insomnia as well if you decide not to take something else to sleep in place of the remeron.

It's been said over and over about how no two people are the same. I had different discontinuation symptoms. I became exceptionally itchy and nauseated, accompanied by a general feeling of flu like malaise.

Adding a Benadryl is a good suggestion for sure.

Once again.....I wish you well, and hope you come off your Remeron with ease.

Seashell

You will! Just stick to it, expect some Diarrhea, nausea and feeling under the weather for a week or two. Don't freak out if you notice any symptoms.