Need a Job

[Mi...]

Yeah and if nothing else I'm sure I will get more comfortable around people.  I have already become more comfortable around people anyway though, but just don't really have any situations where I am forced to interact.

What sucks is I am sure I will geta  crush on some coworker (because I easily get interested in women lol) and although yes it's common to date someone from work, it's usually not recommended and some companies forbid it totally.  But I'm not sure where else I can meet any other than work, volunteering somewhere, church, and online.  I don't like bars or clubs and I'm not so sure many young women would be at the athletic club I am considering joining.

You can kill two birds with one stone getting a job  :laugh:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Mi...]

• [Gm...]

• [Pa...]

• [ic...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but now to get my stone...

In the meantime I need to make my sites and get some money programming...  But annoyingly I still can't think of sites to make.  Probably a dating one still, but for my other I'm not sure.  Maybe a site solely related to my programming, maybe a general site, or maybe something else.  Plus haven't decided on names still.

At least if I figured out sites to run I would be using my time on something other than sitting here.

• 3 weeks later...
Still no clue what step to take to fix my whole job phobia.  I can NOT end up back living with family.  It's funny I went over 30 years not wanting to move out and now that I did I am desperate to stay on my own.  I'm sure I will find out a job isn't as bad as I thought, just as moving out wasn't.  But see if I decide hey I am ready for a job well IT STILL doesn't magically arrive when I decide I want it.  So I could finally decide to take the leap and then not get hired still and end up stuck when I don't have enough money left to live on my own.

Sounds like you just talked yourself right out of getting a job!

Besides not having to live with your family again - there are a lot of other reasons you should be working! I think I mentioned this  along time ago, but why not start slowly in a part time position?

Temporarily I can/have.  At the most I could only do it another year though because basically I am a little short each month and for another year I could handle it without getting into debt that couldn't be paid off several days after moving out.  But plus they would have to somehow approve me again.

A lot of the problem is that there's no jobs that come to mind.  Only part time one I've thought about was working at a store.  Or maybe accounting clerk, but I have noe xperience and I doubt any of those are part time anyway.  Honestly that's what discourages me more than anything in life... when I can't make a decision.  When I'm uncertain what to do.  Same thing with my sites.  I get so frustrated because I have failed any time I do decide on something related to trying to accomplish something moneywise.

Temporarily I can/have.  At the most I could only do it another year though because basically I am a little short each month and for another year I could handle it without getting into debt that couldn't be paid off several days after moving out.  But plus they would have to somehow approve me again.

A lot of the problem is that there's no jobs that come to mind.  Only part time one I've thought about was working at a store.  Or maybe accounting clerk, but I have noe xperience and I doubt any of those are part time anyway.  Honestly that's what discourages me more than anything in life... when I can't make a decision.  When I'm uncertain what to do.  Same thing with my sites.  I get so frustrated because I have failed any time I do decide on something related to trying to accomplish something moneywise.

I think icantdothis hit it on the head. You already talked yourself out of it. You have to try before you fail, and if you fail try again. If everyone had your theory, we would all be unemployed.

It took me 10 years to finally get into the union within my field. I had to work non union until I was able to lock down a position. 10 years my friend, of not giving up.

As far as Web design, it is a business that is basically built around three things. Word of mouth, SEO optimized site that will market yourself. imagine taking the time out to get to number 1 on google! work would fly in. And selling your work to a site like monstertemplates.com for commission. All this can be done at night, spare time, until it grows to be a full time job.

As far as doing something that interests you, is fine. I just had a garbage removal service come to my house to take a hot tub. Three college grads  that are still trying to find a job in their field.

If you need a "job" they are there. If you need a career, you have to try and try, even if it is your own web design company.

As far as thwe web ideas, I'm apparently not comign up with good themes for the forum sites.  Nothing that is unique enough to really get opeople wanting to be on them.  And I was alls et on making a dating site then realized there is another very similar to what Iw as going to do.  So now I'm back to being unsure.  I have two licenses for forum sites, but not sure what theme to build the sites around.  I VERY much love running forum sites and programming for them.

It's just all about somehow getting the first job.  Once I finally do something it's not a problem again.  Just like if I move to new places now it won't bother me like it did the first time.  I'm not trying to talk myself out of a job... I'm just mentioning why it's so hard to get motivated.  It feels like I'll be rejkected before I even try.  So I'm more hoping people have advice or knowledge of how to get a job when you have no experience.  I noticed an article that said they're not allowed to ask you how old you are.  So I don't have to explain not having a job at over age 30 and I look younger than 30.  BUT I will have to explain so many years between my degree and not having a job.  I'll just have tos ay I worked for myself which is technically true, but I got worthless low income.  lol

It's kind of funny how I just randomly wanted to make a lot of changes because of ym age being one of my favorite numbers.  lol  It's weird how you can just decide to make changes for an dod reason and then accomplish it when you enver did previously in your life.

But anyway so if I could just get the job then that would mean TONS of what I was scared to do would be done in my life.  All that would be left would be makign friends, get a gf, and become more spiritual.  Already tackled moving out and going places around people...  Now if only I could make myself take this step about a job.  Then with a job I would be more confident asking women out.

Hi Midnight,

I like the post about trying a volunteering position first. You most likely have wonderful hidden talents that have not yet been tapped into because of the anxiety and fear. I know, I have had fears about other things. Sometimes it is like climbing the hill on a rollercoaster and be uncertain what it will "feel" like at the top and the "feeling" of the drop. I get afraid of the feeling of anxiety and fear more than anything. I've been working with myself as I "feel" it to not be afraid. This is helping me a lot. I tell myself...it's just a feeling...it's not the end of the world....FEEL it and realize it is OK to FEEL it. I am coming off a benzo ...Klonopin to be exact. Not fun. But, I've come all the way down from 2mg to a very, very little. But, back to the fears...by volunteering, you may find some of your hidden talents and then ease into a job at the place you are volunteering. It might be helpful to make a list of your likes and don't likes. Such as...you love animals or you don't like to be around old people. This may help direct you when volunteering.  :thumbsup: Have you thought about going to college? Or a tech school? I have no idea what your situation is but, this would help your confidence as well. Good Luck!

Klonopin is what i came off of.  It went extremely great for me getting off of it.  I had about 3-5 bad days TOTAL while coming fof of it.  I hope it goes as well as ossible for you.

HYes I am good at a lot of things and unsure which jobs would be best for them.  Probably accountant or technical writer or programmer.  But don't have degrees in any of that.  I do have a degree... it's in a science though.

I'm just MAD because I KNOW once I do it I'll eb fine.  Makes me so mad I dont just do it.  Although part is due to me not even knowing where to apply and since I don't drive I have to think of that and other concerns here and there.

I don't know what's holding you back midnight. But I can sure say it is easy to get a job if you really want one.

Really? Because I know a lot of people who are out of jobs with this economy. And I know people who are below the poverty line and barely getting any work at all.

It is fairly easy to get a job....it just depends on what kind of job you are willing to do I guess...and initially you might have to accept something below the pay grade you would like....due to the crummy economy :(

TC

For me personally I wnated to work at a grocery store or walmart stocking.  So my goals for this first job were mighty low to begin with.  I have a feeling even those won't be easy to get a job at though.

Remember the holidays are coming up. There should be plenty of part time work coming up. Who knows, part time could turn into full time.

I don't know what's holding you back midnight. But I can sure say it is easy to get a job if you really want one.

Really? Because I know a lot of people who are out of jobs with this economy. And I know people who are below the poverty line and barely getting any work at all.

Job is easy, Career is a different story. I might have a different view of this because I live in the NY/NJ area. We are not effected like most areas in the US.  I live near 5 monster shopping malls, 2 are listed in the largest malls in the US etc... If I needed a "Job" I can get one tomorrow.

For a job in a mall do youjust flat go ask someone in the stores about it?  I haven't thought about it, but that type of job is never listed anywhere as far as I know.  I know for grocery stores and walmart you usually apply at the store or online.

Hi,

One of my first jobs ever was working at a grocery store. I loved it. This would be ideal if you are looking for something low key to sort of get the feel for getting back into the work force.

TC

That's what I was thinking ans a couple are walking distance form me... but I don't know if they have openings often.  When you're limited to a couple choices it sucks.  Some other stroes near here too though.  Or could ride a bus to some other one, but that's far from ideal and so I wish I could get a job walking distance.

I know what you mean about wanting to stay close to home.  I had the most fun at a job I did several years ago.  I was a retail manager of a small store and I lived 1/4 mile from the store.  There was nothing more fun than leaving the house at 8:55 a.m. to be at work at 9am or getting off work at 10pm and being home by 10:05 pm.  Those were the days, no rush at all. :)

TC

Yeah that sounds great.  I don't drive, so it would be very ideal for me also.

My dad claims some stores near here hire often and especially since holidays are coming up.  So hopefully I somehow get myself tot ake the step to egt one soon.  I hope I can make myself do it within a month or two anyway.  But who knows.  Something holds me back still usually.

Well I was at some stores near me with my aunt and she asked at a couple of them if they were hiring and one was and the other is within 1-2 weeks.  And considering there are probably 50 stores walking distance from me I am sure I would get one if I rerally make myself try.  Hopefully I figure out how to take that step.