Re: Newbie/Shocked _SA

[...]

Hi Therese, Colin and all

You are quite right Therese i have only 5mg tablets and they crumble when i try to split them.I would be thrilled to start the titration method as soon as possible as i am on the brink of feeling i need more to cope than less.

I would like to be in the position where my benzo intake is going down not up, it's already destroyed too much.

Thanks for the support

Dena :o

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [Co...]

• [Th...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dena,

Here are some instructions for you. They are based upon 10% every two weeks (if you were pill-splitting), but adjusted to fit with the titration method. This means that it will be a similar overall taper rate, but actually should be much more tolerable, as there are no sharp cuts. It is a taper rate that most people can manage without too many problems. You can always take a break form fresh cuts if it becomes too tough. The instructions need adjusting each time you start titrating from one less tablet.

We are working on three sets of instructions at the moment: a simple set that includes instructions for making up the liquid and the amounts for the individual concerned; instructions for the moderators to work out the amounts accurately and very simply; and a third complete explanation for all to use as reference. The following will be the simple method (but is likely to change in form, but not substance).

Okay; these are your instructions and individual numbers. The amounts will very for other people!

You will need 100ml measuring cylinder, marked at 1ml intervals, and 10ml syringe or oral dispenser (preferably marked of at 0.2ml intervals). Also, a stirring rod (a butter spoon will do the job just as well). A supply of small covered jars.

1. Crush one 5 mg tablet in a jar with the back of a spoon.

2. Add a little HOMOGENIZED milk (the amount is not important, but it MUST be homogenized), and swirl it around to dissolve the benzo. Let this sit for a few minutes to be sure the benzo is completely dissolved, then swirl around again.

3. Add this mixture to the 100ml cylinder.

4. Add a little more milk to the jar, stir, and again empty into the cylinder. This is to make sure all of the benzo gets transferred to the cylinder.

5. Add more milk to the cylinder to bring the amount up to 24ml. Mix well with either a stirring rod or a butter knife.

6. Throw out 1ml of the benzo liquid on the first day. Dispose of an additional 1ml of the benzo liquid every day. (Only after completing this step, procede to step 7).

7. Crush the remaining part of your dose (25mg) in another little jar with the back of a spoon. Add the liquid from the cylinder, and top up with more milk if needed. This is now your total dose for the day. Mix well. Let stand for a few minutes, then mix again. Divide the liquid up into two or three equal parts to take during the day (measure using the syringe or cylinder). You can keep the doses in little covered jars in the fridge.

Options for Using the Syringe:

a. to fine-tune the amount of milk you add to the cylinder, to bring it up to exactly the mls desired

b. to fine-tune the amount of benzo solution you're cutting for the day

c. to measure out your titrated dose if you're cutting a very large amount. For example, if you're throwing out 66 ml of a 69ml solution, it would be easier to measure 3ml from the cylinder and consider that your titrated dose for the day. You would add the liquid from the syringe to your other crushed pills for the day, instead of using the liquid from the cylinder.

Dena,

Please ask for clarification on any of these points. Some of it will be a little unclear because one or two steps are still being discussed. We are still deciding which points should be clear steps, and which should be options and notes at the end. ::) We will get there. Also, I'd like another member of the team to double check my figures before you use them. ;)

Hi Colin

Thanks so much for the quick response.

I am sort of grasping what you are saying in my titration.

On point 6. do i have to throw out 1ml everyday until the 24ml "benzo milk" is finished?

Which leads me to point 7. where do i get the liquid from the cylinder as i have just mixed 24mls milk with a 5mg tablet?

Does this still add up to a 10% cut every 2 weeks?

Please hang in there with me, i am extremely daft when it comes to figures.

I will wait until someone else has checked your numbers before i start.

Is it alright to stop these benzo's even though you are on other medication? (which you secretly want to be off!?)

Mainly A/D

Thank you all for your help

Cheers

Dena

Hi Colin

Thanks so much for the quick response.

I am sort of grasping what you are saying in my titration.

On point 6. do i have to throw out 1ml everyday until the 24ml "benzo milk" is finished?

Which leads me to point 7. where do i get the liquid from the cylinder as i have just mixed 24mls milk with a 5mg tablet?

Does this still add up to a 10% cut every 2 weeks?

Please hang in there with me, i am extremely daft when it comes to figures.

I will wait until someone else has checked your numbers before i start.

Is it alright to stop these benzo's even though you are on other medication? (which you secretly want to be off!?)

Mainly A/D

Thank you all for your help

Cheers

Dena

Hi Dena,

There's nothing daft in your questions.

Yes, in point 6., you throw out an additional 1ml each day, and drink the remaining liquid in the cylinder. Day1, you produce 24ml of liquid, you dispose of 1ml, and you drink 23ml. Day2, you produce 24ml of liquid, you dispose of 2ml, and you drink 22ml. Day3, you produce 24ml of liquid, you dispose of 3ml, and you drink 21ml. And so on. Once you have reached zero, you start on a new tablet, but we need to recalculate the numbers for you. I can tell you now, assuming that this taper rate was ideal for you, this would mean you'd start off on 28ml when on only 5 tablets per day, again reducing by 1ml per day.

Point 7. needs some explanation. The liquid you add from the cylinder is the liquid remaining after you have made the cut for that day. So, day1 would be 23ml, day2 would 22ml, day3 would 21ml, etc. Once mixed with your other tablets, return it to the cylinder or use the syringe to divide the liquid for your doses over the day.

Yes, this rate is equivalent to 10% over 14 days. It takes longer because we are reducing your dose by more than 10% (we are titrating 1 tablet from 6 = 16.7%).

Hi, Dena and Colin,

Colin's numbers look good to me. I have double-checked them.

Yes, Dena, it is actually recommended that when you are on different medications, you stop the benzos first. This is because stopping the other meds first (especially A/Ds) can make your withdrawal symptoms worse. Also, sometimes people get depressed when they taper benzos, and A/Ds can help relieve that in some people. So benzos are normally the first thing to go.

Hi Colin and Therese

It's starting to make sense Colin but i am still not clear.

Do i start off on the 28ml milk+1 tablet now, instead of 24ml?

Don't you think crushing 5 other tablets into a decreasing amount of milk is going to cause a problem in the future?

Other than that, you have made it very clear, and i now understand! :thumbsup:

I am starting to have severe panic attacks around about 7 in the evening and they continue until i have taken my seroquel, the valium is not helping at all and this is just one of the reasons i want off the valium, for my health and to see whats damaging and whats not.

I can't sleep at night, only in the day..afternoon head feels like a watermelon.

Once again thank you for your support

Dena

Hi, Dena,

You will start off with dissolving one of your 5mg tablets in 24 ml of milk (23 ml after you discard the cut for the day). Then you will combine that mixture with the remaining part of your dose (5 crushed tablets).

Yes, combining the tablets with a decreasing amount of milk will eventually be a problem. However, once you have the titrated portion of your dose measured--let's say you're down to 1 ml of that 24ml solution--you can just add extra milk to make enough liquid to mix up the tablets. You'll still have all the benzo for your dose; you'll just be adding more milk to dissolve it and to make it easy to divide into parts.

Hi Therese

Thanks for making it clear. I am now ready to begin. It is Thursday evening as i am writing to you now in SA and start i will tomorrow.

Bit nervous.

:thumbsup:

Thanks

Thank you Patrick, Therese

I had to practice with water first.

Happy to report all went well.

I am now in the minus part of the queue.

Can i start a blog or do i just stay here?

Thanks for all your help

Dena

Hi Dena,

I think it would better to to start your blog on the blog board. Just go ahead and start one! ;)

I am now in the minus part of the queue.

Sorry, I don't understand that. ???

Hi Colin

I meant that i am in the line where the number (dosage) of of my benzo is going down instead of up.

;D