CAMPAIGNING AGAINST BENZOS

[lo...]

Three MSPs have so far replied to my emails, two expressing genuine interest.

Today a Scottish newspaper has agreed to back my campaign, readership is 2 million.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [lo...]

• [Te...]

• [be...]

• [Mo...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Three MSPs have so far replied to my emails, two expressing genuine interest.

Today a Scottish newspaper has agreed to back my campaign, readership is 2 million.

Sounds promising Fiona,  :thumbsup: I just read yesterday's letter ....

well written....you are doing a great job. :smitten:

Thanks, Claudia.  I am optimistic that we are going to get a momentum going here in Scotland. 

Also found a GP who has spoken publicly about too many antidepressants being prescribed.

I think there is the possibility of doing something good.

Fiona  :thumbsup:

Thanks, begood, sure hope so.  Just heard back from another journalist from one of the UK papers. He is interested.

The time is right here in the UK.  People are becoming informed - there are little groups of people and individuals, but not a coming together as yet.  And no mass of public opinion.  Not yet anyway.

Fiona  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Today I am quite excited.  I have spoken briefly with a lady who was extremely ill for a year after being put on various psychiatric drugs.  I saw an article about her on the internet.

But guess what - SHE IS A MAKER OF FILM AND DOCUMENTARIES ESPECIALLY THOSE WITH A HUMAN INTEREST.

I cannot contain my excitement.

And Mensa (the high IQ society), of which I am a member has agreed to publish my article on the issue including my campaign details.

I will not get any sleep tonight!!!  :D :D :D

Today I am quite excited.  I have spoken briefly with a lady who was extremely ill for a year after being put on various psychiatric drugs.  I saw an article about her on the internet.

But guess what - SHE IS A MAKER OF FILM AND DOCUMENTARIES ESPECIALLY THOSE WITH A HUMAN INTEREST.

I cannot contain my excitement.

And Mensa (the high IQ society), of which I am a member has agreed to publish my article on the issue including my campaign details.

I will not get any sleep tonight!!!  :D :D :D

Do be do be do Fiona.....good news again, exciting....voila !  :)

Thanks, Claudia and begood. I am trying to keep calm and not get my hopes about the film maker.

She may well have her own ideas about what she wants to do.

And she would need money to make a documentary, can't pluck it out of thin air.

Just trying to keep a lid on my excitement.

Fiona  :D :D

Spoke the documentary maker again today.  She is indeed trying to get a commission to make a documentary. Only spoke with her briefly, she is a busy lady.  I don't mind whether I am involved or not.  I just want the subject in the public domain and she is in a far better position to do that than  I am.  She is going to phone me again when she has more time.

Heard from a Member of the Scottish Parliament today.  He is going to table a Parliamentary Question about prescribed drug dependence.  Not sure what significance that has really but it will be interesting to see what the reply will be.

The reason I am posting about my progress is to encourage others to take the first step.  You just don't know where that first step may lead. 

It helps being stuck in bed and having nothing better to do with one's time.  :D :D :D

• 2 weeks later...

There is going to be a radio broadcast on Sunday 20th December, 11.00 a.m. - 12 noon, UK time, on the dangers of benzodiazepines.  A fatal overdose has sparked some media interest.  Some UK Buddies have offered to take part.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06skyv5

Not much more to report.  Still contacting journalists, politicians and TV documentaries and have made contact with a few more sufferers.

Thanks for the link to listen to broadcast, since I am in the States, I see that I can listen to it, when I want, after it is broadcast  in the UK. I think

that each time something pops up, you are getting us all closer to Victory with our battle with benzo's and how they are used. Thanks again for what

you are doing, baby steps, but you have made  leaps leaps. Best to you.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/22000000/Dogs-From-All-Over-The-World-Want-To-Thank-You-Frances-For-Your-Help-And-Kindness-3-teddybear64-22054569-600-428.jpg

Thank you so much, begood.  I am happy today because I now have a few people in England keen to organise a conference about benzos/A/Ds.  I would like the main focus to be on the suffering they have caused rather than on the academic research which has already been presented in London at the "More Harm Than Good" conference.  It would also cost money to pay speakers to come from the US, so I think we will have to stick with people from the UK such as David Healy.  If we get it filmed it can be widely circulated on the internet.  Every day I make a new contact.  Today it was the lady who runs this website.

http://www.april.org.uk/main/index.php?uid=269&

• 1 month later...

Not much has been happening with the campaign in Scotland.  Have not been well this past month.

Was pleased to see the Chief Medical Officer, adviser on health to the Scottish Government, stating that doctors should prescribe fewer medicines.  She wasn't specifically meaning psychiatric drugs but still I liked the thrust of her report. 

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/1339781-doctors-should-prescribe-fewer-medicines-chief-medical-officer-says/

I took the opportunity to write to her, responded on her blog and tweeted her as well!!!!!

Have been waiting for the campaign to be publicised in the Scottish press and it seems that is happening on Monday.  Am not expecting too much.  So far the newspaper articles have been a big disappointment.

Fiona  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I know most of you are probably not well enough to think about this but I will continue to post my ideas/activities.

World Benzo Day

A few of us are thinking of a World Benzo Day next year to highlight this issue (Barry Haslam, myself and Wayne in Japan) and perhaps every year thereafter until something is done.

Twitter

I have started using Twitter - a new venture for me.  Last night I tweeted the UK Prime Minister and various politicians both in England and in Scotland.  I even included my video in some of my tweets.  Anyone can use Twitter, anyone can tweet.

Newspapers

I have written to several national newspapers and included my video.  I will have to make a new video specifically for the purpose of circulating to politicians.

I don't expect any responses but will keep trying.  I might get lucky.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I know most of you are probably not well enough to think about this but I will continue to post my ideas/activities.

World Benzo Day

A few of us are thinking of a World Benzo Day next year to highlight this issue (Barry Haslam, myself and Wayne in Japan) and perhaps every year thereafter until something is done.

Twitter

I have started using Twitter - a new venture for me.  Last night I tweeted the UK Prime Minister and various politicians both in England and in Scotland.  I even included my video in some of my tweets.  Anyone can use Twitter, anyone can tweet.

Newspapers

I have written to several national newspapers and included my video.  I will have to make a new video specifically for the purpose of circulating to politicians.

I don't expect any responses but will keep trying.  I might get lucky.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

World Benzo Day..Yes Yes Yes!!!!!!!

Following

I have just heard from my fellow campaigner, Ann Kelly, that our respective stories are going to be on the front page of one of the Scottish papers on Monday.  She says it is going to be a substantial article.  I believe her because the journalist has interviewed the Cabinet Secretary for Health.  She wouldn't have bothered to do that for just a short article.  I am nervous now.  I have no idea what the journalist will write.  It is a tabloid paper after all.  There may be a focus on antidepressants, I am not sure.  She will publish the email address for the campaign so now I am a bit worried how I will cope with lots of emails but of course that may never happen.  Well this is it I suppose.  It is what I wanted.  If we get a response we will take it from there, if we don't then I guess we just accept that the public is not interested. 

Will post the article when it comes out.

Good luck, Fiona.

Yikes!  A tabloid?

I guess that's what 'most' journalism is these days...

You'll just have to pace yourself if there's a big response...

Good work!