HELP HELP HELP!!!

[th...]

[e8...]

Hi M,

You could use some Clonazepam at the Ashton recommended dose equivalent to see how this will affect you. A different benzo doesn't give you a different dependence. You would find out what the effect is for you.

The bottom line is that you need either a better doctor or a more reliable source of Clonazepam.

Jana

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [th...]

• [Co...]

• [...]

• [bo...]

Life is whirling on around me and I am standing still.

Mike,

I’ve been reading your posts with great sadness; I see so much of what I went through and felt like written in your words. The fear, the desperation, the consuming anxiety, these are all feelings I am very familiar with.

I remember describing this myself. It was like I was in a train station, and the lives of those around me were the trains, constantly moving to somewhere. But not me, I was stuck in both place and time. There was no movement for me; my feet were glued to the platform. It was like being a true spectator in life. I watched as my children carried on with their lives, as they should, but I wasn’t really participating in that any longer. I watched as my husband carried on, as he should, but I was useless. My friends, extended family, all went about their lives, as they all should have. But there I was, stuck to the platform, consumed by mental anguish and physical pain. I think I at least kind of understand some of how you are feeling, Mike.

You seem to be concerned that taking the time to taper means a lot longer period of time that you will be a spectator in life. While you’ll usually hear me preaching…don’t compare yourself or your progress to anyone else’s!...I’m going to break my own rule for bit.

True story. I was a member of a forum where another female member had taken the same benzo as myself, Ativan, for approximately the same amount of time as myself, four months.

But here’s where our stories began to differ. I jumped; rapid tapered; basically cold turkeyed. She did a crossover to Valium and a slow taper.

OK, so I was off Ativan in a total of eleven days. She took months to come off Valium.

I suffered some major symptoms; her symptoms were always manageable.

In the time it took her to come off, I had started feeling a little more human.

So she came off and I started feeling better around the same time.

The difference? She could live life while tapering. I couldn’t function for a long time after my last dose of Ativan.

There’s a reason why we keep saying a slow taper is better than a fast one. You might be off the benzo in less time, but you won’t necessarily be well and ready for life. A slow taper usually means that your life doesn’t have to go completely on hold; the goal is to go slow enough to keep on living your life….enjoying your family.

I took a .5 of Klonopin last night. I slept for an HOUR and now I am dragging all day. I can't move. I am exhausted. Do you think I will really go through terrible wids if I just stop. I mean I went without xanax for 24 hours yesterday and nothing too bad happened. I wouldnt even know ow to reinstate if I did. I reallly cant handle these meds. They are sapping my strength and Im so tired but cant sleep.

when can I expect wds? You never answered my question about 16 days.

I dont think i can stabalize on K. I might be able to get more but it is too sedating for me.

I am at a loss. I need to sleep but my body wont let me.

Hvae you evern taken seroquel? Is it like a benzo?

I cant do this stufff anymore. It is making me so sick.

M

I just picked up the K and the doctor was only able to call in a 15 day supply.

When Ativan stopped working I got a little scared and asked the doctor what  to do. She said increase the dose or try: and she started perscribing other things for me, Valium, Xanax Er, Remeron, Ambien. The valium I only took twice and didn't like it.

Is this the same doctor? Could part of the problem be that she has prescribed so many meds that she is reluctant to give you more than a 15 day supply?

Do you like this doctor enough to try to talk to her one-on-one about how you would like to get a handle on tapering off benzos altogether? Why you need to know that she will work with you on getting through this? Though, I'm not sure any of us are impressed with her current track record.  :-\

Jana said it best...you need to know you have a reliable source, or you need a better doctor.

I'm not surprised at your doctor's equivalent, Mike. I'm sitting here looking at one of the comparison charts I printed out long ago. It claims the same equivalency. The problem is, there doesn't seem to be any clear-cut answer.

The Ashton equivalencies seem to have the best track record for withdrawal purposes.

I appreciate everyone's help but it looks as if I am going to have to go cold turkey. I cant seem to get a bead on what I need to do to titrate. I dont know what dose I should stabalize on or even what drug. I took a .5 of Klonopin last night and couldnt move out of my bed until 3 pm but it only gave me an hour of sleep. I guess I really screwed things up with the benzos but I cant see any way to fix it since I havent been on one for a long period of time and never stayed at a consistent dose except when I was taking ativan for sleep at 1.5 mgs but that was months ago.

I got K from my pdoc but it was only for 15 days and then a prescrip will only be for 45# I think. I do feel awful and my insomnia is a beast, you cant even call it insomnia because insomnia is somehow related to sleep. What I have means no sleep period. If anybody has any ideas on how to get this under control I would appreciate it. My last xanax was 48hours ago, my last Klonopin was almsot 24 hours ago. How bad of a ride is this going to be for me? Will my sleep ever come back? Will I ever be able to nod off by myself ever again???

M

Hi M,

I can't reply properly now (it's 2am here); I will reply more fully tomorrow.

Stabilising can take some time. It's about finding a daily dose that works for you. It requires that you take your dose regularly and evenly. If your dosing has been erratic or not regular enough to prevent inter-dose withdrawals in the past, it can take some time to find out what is the correct dose for you. If you are feeling rough now, the chances are that will feel a lot worse with a cold turkey withdrawal.

Don't worry about not having found what works for you yet. Don't worry if you don't yet understand everything about the withdrawal process - you will get there with help of fellow Buddies - keep asking until you are sure of what you need to know. ;)

Bye for now.

Just to add,

It might be time for you to consider trying to stabilise at a higher dose. We should aim to stabilise at the minimum, but we can never know what that dose is (if our dosing has been erratic) until we have tried. This is your decision. You know how you feel. I would really encourage you to keep a diary of your dosing; be strict with your dosing (don't take extra on a whim, or skip a dose when you feel particularly well); also keep notes in the diary of how you feel. All this will help you determin what it is you you must do.

What sould I try to stabalize on and how? Xanax, K, Ativan, Valium?

It's all so confusing.

M

Will I eventually ever ge my ability to sleep back?

M

[e8...]

Hi Mike,

I saw your shout.

First yes, my latency period before the sudden crash  was between February 2nd and February 17th. It hit suddenly at night. I had no warning.

Seroquel is an atypical antipsychotic. It slows the connections in your brain. It comes with all of the permanent damage profile of the older antipsychotics and more. It's being used off-label in nursing homes and other institutions where patients are perceived as bothersome. Can you use it safely for one or two nights? Of course I don't know. I suspect that you won't develop diabetes overnight.

In addition to the list of safer sleep help are the beta blockers. Ashton mentions these. I used just 1/4 of a tablet of Propanolol. It makes the heart less sensitive to adrenal effects. It really does. Just 1/4 of a tablet affects my heart noticeably. I can't use anyore than that without having a heart rate of 50 BPM. I tend to think that this is a better option than Seroquel. It can be used for longer periods, and it doesn't come with those other downsides. It's not without effects though. Taking the least that will do the job is wise. This is a prescription. You could give a copy of The Ashton Manual to your Pdoc. Some doctors will read if you highlight the sentence and Ashton's qualifications. Be sure to say that DM is doctor of medicine. Too many people are fond of saying that she isn't a doctor. She is  that and more.

I know that you're in a bad spot. If I were in that spot again, I'd ask for a beta blocker and then take it very conservatively.

I should try harder to be tactfull, but this is getting to  me. I have a strong dislike of your doctor's careless attitude. Find a new one, preferably one with a soul.

Jana

Hi Mike,

This is my first post here, but I've been reading quite a bit here for the last few hours.  I'm currently withdrawing from 1 mg per day of klonopin.  I'm down to .75 and doing pretty well.  I have been tapering, and taking the exact same amount twice daily, 12 hours apart.  Klonopin should be taken  at least 2x daily.  It's important to have an even amount in your blood stream, sleep problems notwithstanding.  I think your exhaustion will alleviate some when you get on a more even and tolerable dose, and then begin to taper slowly.  (And some sleep.)    Plus all this physical and mental stress is bound to be exhausting.

I know it's almost impossible right now, but try not to worry too much.  You will be able to get better and sleep again.

Now...from what I've gathered, you were taking 1-1.5 mg. xanax a week ago?  And you were struggling at that, largely from cutting cold turkey from ativan recently?  And I know others have mentioned, but xanax itself is notorious for its withdrawal symtoms even before you begin to taper.  I myself took random and fairly large amounts of it for 2 weeks (more than the script).  It was prescribed to me because I was in a state of extreme anxiety.  It worked wonders for about 4 hours, then I needed another.  When I ran out, I felt like I was going to die, I've never experienced anything like that in my life.  I went back to the doc, and she put me on klonopin .5 2x daily.  That was much more even, I felt fine for a long time.  Now I want to get off, and I plan on doing it slowly and evenly, since I have experienced (briefly, praise God), what that hell can be like.

But back to you.  Your doc gave you a script for klonopin .5 3x daily.  That sounds like a good idea to me. Take them every 8 hours, as directed.  Give it a couple days.  Or at least do that until someone else here can get back to you.  It looks like they know what they're talking about.

My heart really goes out to you right now, but this will pass.  Please go easy on yourself.

Alia

well I took a seroquel yesterday and slept for 10 hours. Holy crap. I was out of it for the whole day! I am still out of it and it is now 7:30 pm here and I took it last night at 10:00 Pm. That's some serious stuff. Took 100mg. Maybe I should have just halved that. though I loved the sleep and did dream I dont know if Ill take it again, maybe one more time just so I can get some sleep. But no way could I ever take this on an ongoing basis. Id never be able to leave my house.

Guess it is back to insomnia after a visit Seroquel City.

Still not sure about what to do about the whole benzo thing. I guess the Seroquel kept the anxiety at bay for a bit. At around 5 or 6 pm tonight some anxiety came back. I really didnt want to take anything. I didnt want to reenter benzo land. I'm still not sure exactly what to do. The K .5 knocked me out. I only slept for an hour but felt groggy for the rest of the day. I can't even imagine taking it 3x a day. Id be wiped out. I know this is a hard problem but what can I do? I was groggy all day from the seroquel so couldnt really tell about any wds. I was severely down and upset about taking the seroquel and feeling drugged all day. When the anxiety hit I was wondering if I should take a valium since it is so long lasting. Is tapering from that easier? To tell you the truth I dont know how I feel right now. I am tired, a little confused. Somewhat shakey but that might be expected from the 14 hours in after monsths of not sleeping.

I kjow that my problem might seem out of the ordinary since I didnt use a consistent benzo for a specific time at a specific mg. Is there anyway out of this or am I just doomed to whatever way my body decides to fix itself?

Im not even sure exactly what I should do. If Im not dying now from wds does that mean I might be able to get away with this. I know Jana said it hit her 16 days after. That is scary. Makes me want to fix this even more. The crying anout the situation is the worst. Since I'm so confused and feeling groggy I get weepy not knowing if I am getting out of my situation or just perpetuating it. It has been over 48hrs since my last benzo. I am not climbing out of my skin but I certainly dont feel good. Like I said tired, shakey, emotional, brief anxiety breaking through. Some minor pain on the top of the head, back of the head. General yuckiness. Nothing to run to the emergency room about yet.

If anybody has a helpful hint Id really appreciate it. I am at a loss about what to do. '

M

[e8...]

Mike,

I don't know that Valium would be better for you. It's easier if you're worried about interdose withdrawals, but many people don't like  the way it makes them feel. You won't know unless you try it.

Not even 600.0mg of Seroquel sent me to sleep. It's awfully good that you did get some sleep though.

I think that you'll end up doing a taper of some kind from some benzo. I'd give 1/4 of a mg of Klonopin a try or even 1/8. You can't taper unless you have an even amount of benzo going. Your body won't know what's going on.

Jana

If I wait too long and then go through some sort of withdrawals will it then be too long to take something and get stabalized and start ataper? Right now I just feel shakey and out of it. Might be from the seroquel. Obviously I am not tired now after having slept a bazillion hours but that remedy cant last.

Can a successful taper be done if you are c/t for a few days or so?

M

M:

Just to add my 2 cents. I C/T'd twice although not on purpose. One 7 day C/T after 2 weeks of Xanax, then reinstated on X, not because I knew I was with drawing but to get some sleep. Then after 6 weeks of X totaling 60mgs ,I again unknowingly C/T'd for 10 days. Found this site and reinstated to another Benzo-Valium and have been tapering for 2+ months.  If I could go back in time I would have not C/T'd, but tapered immediately.

That said I have been able to taper with clinically  minor S/X's. I don't know if I would have experienced less S/X or not without the C/T, and I haven't finished yet, but compared to a C/T it's tolerable. even with my short history with X The C/t was horrendous to say the least.

Bobers

Mike,

I think Jana is right. A taper is the safest way. No one should CT from benzos, even if they've taken them for just a short time. It's always safer to taper. If you stay in the CT state long enough, no amount of reinstated benzo will pull you out of it. On one board I used to be a member of, they said that the average was about three weeks before reinstating the benzo doesn't work. But since we know up front what a disaster CT can be, it's best just not to do it.

To taper, you do have to start with a consistent level of benzo in your bloodstream, like Jana said. Right now, your body is confused because it doesn't know how much GABA it needs to make or how much repair work it needs to do on the GABA receptor sites. That's because some days it gets X amount of benzo, other days more, other days less, some days none at all. So you're sending your body mixed messages. Your body needs consistency.

Why don't you get a stable amount of benzo in your bloodstream for starters...maybe a week or so at a consistent dose, spread out throughout the day at even intervals. Then perhaps you could make a cut and hold for a week or so and see what happens, then go from there. This would give you a chance to see whether your symptoms get better or worse with a cut, whether you felt better at the higher dose or at the lower dose. Maybe it would help you to see more clearly what is going on with the benzo. Right now it's very confusing, I know.

Seroquel had the same effect on me, by the way! I took one 20 mg pill at around 8p one night, then woke up at about 1p the next day. I took it again a few days later to see if the same thing would happen, and it did. I got so tired both times that I fell asleep in my clothes next to the coffee table on the living room floor. I called a pharmacist the next day for info on the drug. She told me that Seroquel basically affects ALL of your body's neurotransmitters, but they don't really know how it works. That is very scary to me, to have a drug that has such far-reaching effects in the body but they don't understand what those effects are--and they continue to prescribe it for off-label uses right and left. I do think you are right to stay away from something like this during your taper.

Therese

[e8...]

Hi Mike,

Therese put it very well. The message to repair the receptor won't be sent as long as no consistent benzo dose is  maintained. This  also applies to the use of opiates and alcohol too. All three hit that same receptor.

I know that you're very sensitive to any drug right now. This is why it would be best to make your benzo doses divided into very small divided doses.

My doctor told me that Seroquel was a new drug that didn't hit hard and only made people sleepy. He presented it as nothing more than a mild sleep aid. He prescribed 600mg at night.  He wasn't telling the truth.

Jana

I have reinstated with .25 K three times a day. Too many weird things were happening. I didnt know if I could attribute it to wds or Seroquel or not sleeping. Anyway, I have a few questions.

If 1mg of K is = to 20mg of valium does that mean if I take .25 of K three times a day and since it has a half life of around 30ish hours that I have 15 mg of valium floating around in my system during the day at any one time? This seems like a lot to me. The K makes me very tired. If I do this for a week or so, can I then begin to just cut pills in half and do .125 for one of them, then in another week, .125 for one of them and then again the same thing in another week. Then beging to try to eliminate one dose, then in another week another dose and then the last dose?

Is this at least some sort of taper? Must I do a liquid taper to make it more successful?

The reasons I went back were: I was getting a tremor. I thought it might be from the seroquel and the no sleeping but couldn't be sure. I was also gettig weird anxiety. Not the kind I had to begin with but like more of an aching, like I lost my best friend than anxiety. I was getting headaches in my forehead and top of my head. All these symptoms are not gone. After I took the K some of them lifted, but not for long, most came back afew hours after I took. When I wake up asnd start my day I dont know how much the seroquel is masking and how much is still there. Anyway I wont be taking the seroquel muich longer, though it does raelly help me sleep and I even dream with it, it makes me groggy and am concerned about long term side effects. Unfortunately, after I stp the seroquel I am back to square one of no sleeping and then the cycle will start again, no sleep leads to agitation, confusion etc.  Dont know how the K will help me out of all this but I am willing to try. Any comments on any of this will be appeciated.

M

[e8...]

Hi M,

You are taking 1.5mg of K in 24 hours. The most that you can cut at any one time is 0.15mg K according to the 10% guideline. According tom the guide that I used, 0.125mg K is the most that you can cut. This is for a regular taper. You would hold that cut dose for at least a week and probably two weeks.

Yes, being tired is usual. It means that your body is working on this.

Staying at your 1.5mg daily dose for a week sounds reasonable. Your stability has been a problem. You may need to hold that amount for a bit longer than a week.

I figure that your proposed first cut is too large by a factor of 10. Don't ask for trouble. Trouble is hard to fix.

No, do NOT cut from one of your divided doses and leave the others untouched. Doing that will allow fluctuations in your benzo levels. Those fluctuations cause symptoms all over again, and they send the wrong message to your  GABA monitoring ability.

For this same reason, do not skip a dose or eliminate one of them first. As These described, this sends the wrong message.

When you do taper, whether it is a cut and wait or a titration, you absolutely must measure very small amounts. How do you measure something like 0.15 mg K for a regular cut or 0.0025mg for a titrated cut? You can't do that with a pill splitter!

You must put your K into a weaker form to do this. You have two choices. You can grind the K into a powder and mix evenly with something like  a known amount of lactose. Then you would divide that into many little piles of known mgs.

You can put the K into a known amount of liquid and divide that. I see this as more accurate. This enables you to make a supply of liquid to have in the fridge, see what you need for the day from a schedule, and measure that amount. That amount is then ready to be divided into three doses.

One note: Last night I made some K liquid with homogenized milk to be sure of consistency. Some K tablets are very hard. These must be crushed so that they disappear into the milk. I had a very small porcelain mortar and pestle in the kitchen. I left the ground K in it and added the whole milk. This ensures that as much K as possible is making the trip to your storage bottles.

[For temazepam and oxazepam users, I have enough of those left to do the same test. I'm just waiting for what I need to also test for alkalinity. That was mentioned earlier as someone's concern.]

M, you need to titrate. Get your syringe, crushing implement, and measuring cup. The only gentle way to do this is to make cuts so small that they get by your body's radar.

Jana

I think you misunderstood my ramblings. I am taking .25 3x. That's .75 for the whole day. And before i even got into that I am trying .125 three times a day just to see if that will do it for me. If not I will go back to .25.

If I end up stable on .25 3x a day(.75) then what is the best way to do the milk thing?

Is my valium equivalent ok? Am I right?

I really hate this stuff. Even at low doses it is semi sedating.

What kind of taper am I looking at at .25 or .125? Length of time wise and measurement wise?

If I stabalize for a few weeks on this dose and then start titrating how long should ittake for a slow even withdrawal?

Thanks again for all your help.

If I do this correctly will my body let me sleep again, or at least nod off during the day when I miss sleep?

M

[e8...]

Hi M,

If you post your current doses and drugs on a signature line, we can be sure to see exactly what you are using at the current time. Sometimes I go back to see what doses you were using and I confuse them. Also always stating what the drug is that is being talked about will prevent my assuming something that it incorrect.

I'm just now confused about the Valium equivalents that you just talked about. If I see the specifics in a complete way, I shouldn't make more mistakes.

Since 0.075mg is 10% of 0.75mg, that's the maximum cut for a standard taper. Is this Xanax or Klonopin? They are equivalent in strength for the purpose of withdrawal. It's still good to know which you mean.

For a  daily liquid titration, a cut of 0.0025mg is the starting cut. At at total of 0.75mg of K or of Xanax, you might think about increasing that cut amount after doing well enough at 0.0025mg for a week.

Because of your recent problems with stability, don't push it. It's so much better to do this conservatively and take more time than to rush into it and have to try damage control.

Just for right now, what is the name of your 0.75mg benzo? What size tablets do you have (in mgs)?

As for the time that this will take, it's  impossible to guess until you are doing well and into the taper(titration?). You want an answer so I'll stick my neck out just for fun.

Taking into account your problematic start and assuming that you will be able to do about the equivalent of a 0.1mg Valium titration AND slowing down below 0.25mg of K or Xanax, I'd give it five months for the bulk of it and three more to do a quiet and sure finish. I am assuming that these eight months will be very tolerable times and you won't be feeling awfull. This is what we expect from a daily liquid titration. It's faster, far less painfull, and it provides a more sure and secure ending.

I've done it three different ways. I vote for daily titration. Don't hold me to the time table, okay. It's a guess that assumes a lot of things.  I did start my daily titration at close to your dose today, 0.75mg total daily.That's not a responsible assumption.  :(  :laugh:  :-\

So tell me what size tablet you have

, and I'll propose a liquid strength.

Jana

• 15 years later...

Well I can only speak for me ,but the w/d's from my xanax use were much,much worse than the anxiety attacks I had prior to X, and they would go away with a dose of X. so I knew something was screwy. I don't know how long it takes,as I'm still ridding the evil stuff from my system. I do know that at the right level of Valium most of my symptoms went away or at least were tolerable some what. I don't know if I'm doing it right but I started at a lower dose of V then is reccomended for substitution. As I say so far its tolerable. I did this because I too didn't want to spend more time then necessary, how ever I'm not you and I dint know what will work. I don't even know if my method will work as I'm still doing it. The Moderaters have MUCH more knowledge than I do.  also I'm kind of in a forced time limit because of Non understand ing Doc. Like I said it isn't easy but its tolerable.

Hang in there, Bobers

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really not good at the whole mixture thing. Isn't there anyway I can cut down by just cutting pills? Since I am taking .25 .25 .5 <------- the .5 is at night. I take them at 8:00 around 4:00 and 11ish. Even with the .25's and .5 I am still exhausted during the day. Plus I am not sleeping unless I take something like an ambien etc. I dont know if there is a non benzo way for me to ctach some z'sss out there. I have tried everything, well most everything. Does the dose of xanax need to be even thru the day? is .25 .25 .5 ok? I only did that quick cut cause I was barely able to function at points during the day? Seems I'm still exhausted because i take a .5 and a sleeping pill at night. I hate doing this, but I wont sleep without it. I have gone days without sleep.

What do all of you use to control your anxiety etc. if you dont take these drugs anymore?

Does it really take a long time for your brain to go back to the way it was? Should I go back to the .5 for a few days or weeks and then start slower? Is each day on it make the tolerance worse?

Sorry Im so confused but this is all knew to me and I am in a very bad place psychologically in my life and dont want to have to worry about this tolerance stuff a year or so from now but I dont know what else to do. My Pdoc says take them, my mother-in-law is an RN and she says just take them to relieve your symptoms, dont worry about the other stuff just take it day by day. My wife says take them so I can calm down and be semi normal. I am the only one who seems to be scared and worried about taking these things. I am exhausted on them but can't sleep. When I lay down I feel like I am drunk or drugged but cannot fall asleep. I just lay there like I am in a coma.

Sorry to ask so many questions and seem so confused. Could someone please take this post line by line and respond to my comments please.

Very confused, very tired, very dejected and frustrated.

M

Hi Mike,

I'll add something that isn't totally consistent with the stay-away-from your-GABA-receptors idea. I did stay away from anything that would hit my receptors. Then, for the last eight weeks of my taper , I used Valerian ( Natrol brand) for sleep. Signet believes that the quality of Valerian is critical. He found a pure and potent form. I even used two of the  big Natrol Valerian pills right after my taper. I don't use them now.

Magnesium is good before sleep. Calcium should be reserved for day time. Whatever you can do to relax muscles is a step in the right direction. A single remedy isn't likely to be your answer. We have to hit the problem from many angles.

Avoiding  spikes and drops in your benzo levels will even out symptoms. It's the sudden drop in benzo levels that causes W/D. A liquid can make this maintenance more possible. If you really can't make a liquid, think of how you could take  your Xanax in many small amounts over the day.

The only thing that helped me was to use a liquid and titrate. The long half life of Valium wasn't enough for me. So I always suggest this  path. That doesn't mean that there isn't another way. Try to be creative and work along with whatever your body tends to do.

Flexeril is a muscle relaxant. I had a prescription for it but didn't fill it. Someone else here did use it and said that it worked almost too well for her.  If you can communicate with your doctor, you might ask about this.

Jana

• 1 month later...

Hvae you evern taken seroquel? Is it like a benzo?

Seroquel is an antipsychotic usually prescribed to treat schizophrenia.