Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Server Outage

[Co...]

So what is the prognosis?

Thanks to everyone for their generosity.  Computers, servers can be quirky, I only know this because my husband is an expert in the field.  Everything that can be done will be done to assure that BB stays up and running. To be very honest, we've never had so many outages in such a short period.  We'll be getting a much larger server so this should not be a problem in the future.

pianogirl

PS. I know how you all feel, once when the site was down while I was in the midst of withdrawal, I felt lost at sea. Sometimes you don't appreciate how valuable something is until it's taken away.

And we would like to help pay for it! Pretty please!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Mo...]

• [Co...]

• [ga...]

• [lo...]

Hi all,

Sorry, I am not here much at the moment (travelling), and do not always have ready access to the Net.

The three outages are all to do with disk space. The BB server has several partitions to accommodate different functions. This third outage occurred when one of the less critical partitions unexpectedly filled up. Nick, the BB developer (also a volunteer, keeping BB going in his spare time) tells me that he thinks he has caught everything now. So, we should be good for the foreseeable future.

As I mentioned in an earlier post to this thread, we will be moving to a much larger server in the short to medium term, so we should be back to normal then.

Thank you all for the kind offers of financial assistance, but it is not necessary. These kind of outages are just one of those things, and are not the result of lack of funds.

Take care,

Colin.

Hi all,

Sorry, I am not here much at the moment (travelling), and do not always have ready access to the Net.

The three outages are all to do with disk space. The BB server has several partitions to accommodate different functions. This third outage occurred when one of the less critical partitions unexpectedly filled up. Nick, the BB developer (also a volunteer, keeping BB going in his spare time) tells me that he thinks he has caught everything now. So, we should be good for the foreseeable future.

As I mentioned in an earlier post to this thread, we will be moving to a much larger server in the short to medium term, so we should be back to normal then.

Thank you all for the kind offers of financial assistance, but it is not necessary. These kind of outages are just one of those things, and are not the result of lack of funds.

Take care,

Colin.

Thank you, Colin and Nick, for all your hard work!

Still not quite believing that all this costs you guys nothing, though! ::)

Hi all,

Take care,

Colin.

Thanks Colin, thanks Nick.

If you are on vacation , hope you have a nice one .....you deserve it. :)

• 3 weeks later...
For some reason the server is very slow and takes forever to allow me to post or to even log on.  Are there problems with the server or is it just me.

I wasn't just you. It was a slow server day.

These issues should be resolved quickly and the forum will be purring along once again.

pianogirl  :)

I need to get my eyes checked. At first glance, I thought it said Sewer Outage. :idiot:::)

:laugh: you're so funny Joey, thanks for the laugh. :thumbsup:

I'm not aware of any server problems since the outage a couple of days ago. Sometimes such glitches are out of our control, or even the web hosts control.

As I mentioned on another thread yesterday, I have now allocated a lot more server space to the forum. These outages should not occur again.

Colin yesterday and today it took forever to log on and post.  It is not my internet provider since all my other sites worked fine.  I also don't believe I am the only one since Gardener said she had problems too.  Thank you for hosting this site I don't  know what I would do w/o it but it is very frustrating when it is so slow.

Colin yesterday and today it took forever to log on and post.  It is not my internet provider since all my other sites worked fine.  I also don't believe I am the only one since Gardener said she had problems too.  Thank you for hosting this site I don't  know what I would do w/o it but it is very frustrating when it is so slow.

Lots of people mentioned having problems a couple of days ago, but they were short-lived. Everything has seemed fine since then.

Sometimes a problem is completely out of the control of the webmaster because it originated somewhere outside of his server. Frustrating, yes, but a normal part of life in cyberspace.

I am old enough to remember life pre-internet and to have survived the days of dialup connections. Oh man, that was slow! Click and then go have a cup of coffee while you wait for your screen to load! :wacko:

Thank heavens those days are behind us! And thank you to the techno-team that keeps this site up and running! :)

I still use dialup.  This site is slow sometimes and works ok other times.  Off and on.  Why the heck can't hispeed be affordable for ppl. who are poor? 

I still use dialup.  This site is slow sometimes and works ok other times.  Off and on.  Why the heck can't hispeed be affordable for ppl. who are poor?

Wow, you have my complete sympathy! I asked my kids to choose between cable TV and high-speed internet. Couldn't afford both. They chose (moderately) high-speed internet! A wise choice,  think.

I'm not aware of any server problems since the outage a couple of days ago. Sometimes such glitches are out of our control, or even the web hosts control.

As I mentioned on another thread yesterday, I have now allocated a lot more server space to the forum. These outages should not occur again.

Hi Colin, on the 14th it was out all morning till after lunch UK time,

this is when FB plays a nice role.....

like BB out ? reply......yep.... BB out :'(......how is your headache this morning ? :D

reply....please don't ask me.... ;)

Yes, I became aware of the problem in the very early hours of the 14th (UK time), but since I had not yet gone to bed, it was still Thursday (the 13th) to me. Technically, the outage started somewhere around midnight, and I found out about it maybe 30 minutes or so later. So, two nights before = a couple of days ago. I left a message for the site tech, and I went to bed. :)

Yes, I became aware of the problem in the very early hours of the 14th (UK time), but since I had not yet gone to bed, it was still Thursday (the 13th) to me. Technically, the outage started somewhere around midnight, and I found out about it maybe 30 minutes or so later. So, two nights before = a couple of days ago. I left a message for the site tech, and I went to bed. :)

Thank you for replying... :)

I was just trying to explain that the outage was indeed 'two days before' I wrote that message, and that there had not been an outage since then. The time differences can cause some confusion sometimes.