Comprehensive Benzodiazepine Guidance Document, UK, 2014

[La...]

“There is a story of a woman running away from tigers. She runs and runs and the tigers are getting closer and closer. When she comes to the edge of a cliff, she sees some vines there, so she climbs down and holds on to the vines. Looking down, she sees that there are tigers below her as well. She then notices that a mouse is gnawing away at the vine to which she is clinging. She also sees a beautiful little bunch of strawberries close to her, growing out of a clump of grass. She looks up and she looks down. She looks at the mouse. Then she just takes a strawberry, puts it in her mouth, and enjoys it thoroughly. Tigers above, tigers below. This is actually the predicament that we are always in, in terms of our birth and death. Each moment is just what it is. It might be the only moment of our life; it might be the only strawberry we’ll ever eat. We could get depressed about it, or we could finally appreciate it and delight in the preciousness of every single moment of our life.”

― Pema Chödrön

http://www.pma-anz.com/userfiles/images/strawberry.jpg

Gratitude, love, hugs, and wishes for healing to all BBs! 

:smitten:  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

WR

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [NY...]

• [La...]

• [lo...]

• [Be...]

• 4 months later...

Thanks for posting this, Lapis.

It's a bit disturbing that they advocate the use of SSRI's under the section 5.1 People with Mental Illness (page 28).

There are too many people who aren't mentally mental until they go on a SSRI and develop mania.

And I didn't see any mention of how hard it is for some folks to get off a SSRI.

It's an interesting document. Just wish they would be more informed about the "alternative" medications they advocate for doctors to prescribe. It propagates the myth that psychiatric medications are safe and diminishes the physician's responsibility to watch out for side effects that may be misdiagnosed as mental illness.

MS:

Thanks for this reminder as I thought i was the only one. I  took only just 3 mg of Paxil and went into a manic state (which was fun, actually), and once the drug wore off I was back to normal. Then my older pdoc said, you must have bipolar. Nuts to her. :idiot:

Yes, I'd agree on that one. I'm not in favour of using SSRIs for benzo withdrawal....or for much else, for that matter. With everything that I've read, watched and experienced with both medications, I'd have to say that they both need to be approached with A LOT of caution.