Important Survey - Please Participate ×

The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying

[La...]

Hi buddies!

Questions for you ... TIA to anyone who responds :)

1. Do you notice a difference in dizziness when sitting still vs walking vs driving?

2. Do you have any vision issues?

3. Do you notice a difference when you have one eye open vs both eyes open?

Hi buddies!

Questions for you ... TIA to anyone who responds :)

1. Do you notice a difference in dizziness when sitting still vs walking vs driving?

2. Do you have any vision issues?

3. Do you notice a difference when you have one eye open vs both eyes open?

Hi Restoration,

1. Yes, definitely. But not all days are the same. Some days are worse overall than others, and walking is almost always worse than sitting, but I walk anyway. In my case, driving is not an option at all, but if I'm a passenger, the movement of the vehicle sometimes cancels out my dizziness temporarily, or, perhaps, it just makes it less noticeable because there are so many other stimuli. I'm not sure.

2. No, no vision issues at all. I decided not to try any muti-focal type contact lenses or glasses, though, since that would be asking a lot of my brain while I'm dizzy. For some people, those types of lenses make them dizzy. I just don't want to take a chance. I wear regular contact lenses for distance, and then I put on reading glasses over them if I need to see something closer up.

3. Not really, but it's not something I do very much!

REstoration,

1). I’m dizzy most hours of the day/night.  Riding calms dizziness for me. 

2). Terrible blurry vision.

3). I don’t close only one eye as my balance is so bad.

SaraSue

Hi Dizzy Buddies,

I'm not sure how many people might be aware of this, but MRI machines can cause dizziness in some individuals. Some time ago, I posted some papers from Johns Hopkins on this topic, and just recently, this paper -- also from Johns Hopkins -- was published:

"A decade of magnetic vestibular stimulation (MVS): from serendipity to physics to the clinic"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30969883

Abstract

For many years, people working near strong static magnetic fields of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines have reported dizziness and sensations of vertigo. The discovery a decade ago that a sustained nystagmus can be observed in all humans with an intact labyrinth inside MRI machines led to a possible mechanism: a Lorentz force occurring in the labyrinth from the interactions of normal inner ear ionic currents and the strong static magnetic fields of the MRI machine. Inside an MRI, the Lorentz force acts to induce a constant deflection of the semicircular canal cupula of the superior and lateral semicircular canals. This inner ear stimulation creates a sensation of rotation, and a constant horizontal/torsional nystagmus that can only be observed when visual fixation is removed. Over time, the brain adapts to both the perception of rotation and the nystagmus, with the perception usually diminishing over a few minutes, and the nystagmus persisting at a reduced level for hours. This observation has led to discoveries about how the central vestibular mechanisms adapt to a constant vestibular asymmetry and is a useful model of set-point adaptation or how homeostasis is maintained in response to changes in the internal milieu or the external environment. We review what is known about the effects of stimulation of the vestibular system with high strength-magnetic fields and how the mechanism has been refined since it was first proposed. We suggest future ways that MVS might be used to understand vestibular disease and how it might be treated.

I hate to do this because I recently came on here and said everything was better, and had been for a year. I suffered for two years, and felt all the way better for a long time. I also had thyroid disease. Well, my thyroid was really well controlled and I felt good. I have Graves’ disease, which is autoimmune. Well, it flared in December and I have swung all over with my thyroid. To my horrror ALL of what I thought were withdrawal symptoms (dizzy, detatched, spinning, dr) came back with vengeance. I am telling you all this because I am realizing that while I had withdrawals no doubt, a ton of it was medical. Make sure to keep an open mind about what is going on. So, this time I have a new deon to fight. And, I think it may be worse this time. I’m back to 100% bed ridden...I’ve tried to push it and I fall apart. Thyroids are no fun. Get yours checked!

I hate to do this because I recently came on here and said everything was better, and had been for a year. I suffered for two years, and felt all the way better for a long time. I also had thyroid disease. Well, my thyroid was really well controlled and I felt good. I have Graves’ disease, which is autoimmune. Well, it flared in December and I have swung all over with my thyroid. To my horrror ALL of what I thought were withdrawal symptoms (dizzy, detatched, spinning, dr) came back with vengeance. I am telling you all this because I am realizing that while I had withdrawals no doubt, a ton of it was medical. Make sure to keep an open mind about what is going on. So, this time I have a new deon to fight. And, I think it may be worse this time. I’m back to 100% bed ridden...I’ve tried to push it and I fall apart. Thyroids are no fun. Get yours checked!

Oh no, erp8! I'm so, so sorry to hear about that! I appreciate you coming back here and sharing your news with us, though, because yes, it's true that not everything is withdrawal. People should definitely get appropriate check-ups or tests to ensure other issues are being addressed. Dizziness is one of those symptoms that is part of many illnesses, as are many of the other common benzo withdrawal symptoms.

Anyway, erp8, please take care of yourself. I'm wishing you all the best with that and hoping that you're getting the care you need.

Hi All,

Here's a recent study that follows along a theme that I've come across numerous times during my search for info. That is, it's difficult to make diagnoses for dizziness.

This study is called "The Interrelations Between Different Causes of Dizziness: A Conceptual Framework for Understanding Vestibular Disorders".

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31018648

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

According to population-based studies that estimate disease prevalence, the majority of patients evaluated at dizziness clinics receive a single vestibular diagnosis. However, accumulating literature supports the notion that different vestibular disorders are interrelated and often underdiagnosed.

OBJECTIVE:

Given the complexity and richness of these interrelations, we propose that a more inclusive conceptual framework to vestibular diagnostics that explicitly acknowledges this web of association will better inform vestibular differential diagnosis.

METHODS:

A narrative review was performed using PubMed database. Articles were included if they defined a cohort of patients, who were given specific vestibular diagnosis. The interrelations among vestibular disorders were analyzed and placed within a conceptual framework.

RESULTS:

The frequency of patients currently receiving multiple vestibular diagnoses in dizziness clinic is approximately 3.7% (1263/33 968 patients). The most common vestibular diagnoses encountered in the dizziness clinic include benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), vestibular migraine, vestibular neuritis, and Ménière's disease.

CONCLUSIONS:

A review of the literature demonstrates an intricate web of interconnections among different vestibular disorders such as BPPV, vestibular migraine, Ménière's disease, vestibular neuritis, bilateral vestibulopathy, superior canal dehiscence syndrome, persistent postural perceptual dizziness, anxiety, head trauma, and aging, among others.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dizzy Buddies,

How's everyone doing? Any improvements?

I've mentioned the terms "ototoxicy" or "ototoxic" fairy often around here, and I just came across this PubMed article on the topic. It says that "depending on how ototoxicity is defined, there are 200 to 600 medications that can cause damage to hearing and/or balance". That's an enormous number!  :(

Ototoxicity: Visualized in Concept Maps

Watts KL1,2.

Author information

US Department of Defense Hearing Center of Excellence, San Antonio, Texas.

Naval Submarine Medical Research Laboratory (NSMRL), Naval Submarine Base New London, Groton, Connecticut.

Abstract

Ototoxicity refers to the damage to structures and function of the auditory-vestibular system caused by exogenous agents such as pharmaceuticals, chemicals, and ionizing radiation. There are many potentially ototoxic substances. For example, depending on how ototoxicity is defined, there are 200 to 600 medications that can cause damage to hearing and/or balance. Ototoxicity encompasses cochleotoxicity, vestibulotoxicity, and neurotoxicity. A variety of professional disciplines are involved in determining causation, prevention, and management of ototoxic effects. Research to identify and develop otoprotectants and otorescue agents is emerging and will translate basic scientific discovery into applications for use in hearing conservation programs, safety operations, and clinical care. Original concept maps are presented here to visually represent knowledge pathways, domains, and relationships essential to the understanding of ototoxicity.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31036994

It is no joke: Before I take a med I do some research if they would give that to a dog. I found out that for dogs there is a much longer list of ototoxic meds than for humans, - but the substances to treat illnesses are mostly the same. Seems they protect dogs ears better than the ears of humans.

Unfortunately, I hadn't heard the word "ototoxic" until it was much too late. I was already in the audiologist's office, waiting for my first hearing test after becoming dizzy. The audiologist pulled out a huge book on ototoxicity, and, of course, all of the medications I'd taken were listed in the book.  :(

Hi Dizzy Buddies,

How's everyone doing? Any improvements?

I've mentioned the terms "ototoxicy" or "ototoxic" fairy often around here, and I just came across this PubMed article on the topic. It says that "depending on how ototoxicity is defined, there are 200 to 600 medications that can cause damage to hearing and/or balance". That's an enormous number!  :(

Ototoxicity: Visualized in Concept Maps

Watts KL1,2.

Author information

US Department of Defense Hearing Center of Excellence, San Antonio, Texas.

Naval Submarine Medical Research Laboratory (NSMRL), Naval Submarine Base New London, Groton, Connecticut.

Abstract

Ototoxicity refers to the damage to structures and function of the auditory-vestibular system caused by exogenous agents such as pharmaceuticals, chemicals, and ionizing radiation. There are many potentially ototoxic substances. For example, depending on how ototoxicity is defined, there are 200 to 600 medications that can cause damage to hearing and/or balance. Ototoxicity encompasses cochleotoxicity, vestibulotoxicity, and neurotoxicity. A variety of professional disciplines are involved in determining causation, prevention, and management of ototoxic effects. Research to identify and develop otoprotectants and otorescue agents is emerging and will translate basic scientific discovery into applications for use in hearing conservation programs, safety operations, and clinical care. Original concept maps are presented here to visually represent knowledge pathways, domains, and relationships essential to the understanding of ototoxicity.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31036994

thank you for sharing this Lapis...this is good to know. and is also something that i kinda fear could be happening with me during this horrible and very long setback. i may print this out to bring to my docs.

Lapis,

i could not reach this site. but it may be cause my computer has an old version of google chrome.

Yes, prettydaisys, the link works, so perhaps it's something with your computer. In lieu of that, just google the word "ototoxicity" or "ototoxic", and you'll find numerous articles. There are full lists of medications that can affect hearing and balance, since, as the abstract notes, there are up to 600 of them. All the NSAIDs are ototoxic, as the antibiotics, and many, many other meds that are commonly prescribed.

Lapis,

i could not reach this site. but it may be cause my computer has an old version of google chrome.

Yes, prettydaisys, the link works, so perhaps it's something with your computer. In lieu of that, just google the word "ototoxicity" or "ototoxic", and you'll find numerous articles. There are full lists of medications that can affect hearing and balance, since, as the abstract notes, there are up to 600 of them. All the NSAIDs are ototoxic, as the antibiotics, and many, many other meds that are commonly prescribed.

yeah, it's most likely my computer as there are a few other sites i can't get to. i have the money for my new computer but been too sick to get it. i will google all that you said, thanks. by the way, i need to get that walker that you recommended but my mom wants me to go through Medicare to get one for free but i don't know if it will be the same one you have.

Hey pretty,

The one I googled is pretty standard, so I would guess that it might be the same. There are walkers that have no wheels, and that would be fairly useless, so if you can specify what you want, ask for the two-wheeled walked (wheels in front, sliders in the back). Otherwise, the Amazon.com prices look quite reasonable for two-wheeled walkers. I definitely overpaid for mine from a store when I bought it because I didn't shop around. In your case, Amazon.com offers many reasonably-priced options.

A few weeks back I posted that my dizziness / lightheadedness had for the most part passed. I recently came down with a viral infection and had some sinus issues. Every since, my dizzines / lightheadedness along with head pressure has returned. I guess the viral infection caused a setback. It was nice while it lasted!

Hi Fp,

I'm sooooo sorry to hear that, but it isn't that uncommon. Some people get dizzy from having a viral infection, and it's called labrynthitis. So, it's possible you have a bit of that. Whether it's benzo dizziness or virus dizziness, you'll hopefully get back to where you were before in short order. Fingers crossed!

Hey Dizzy Buddies,

Here's a study that may pertain to some women around here who are of, ahem, "a certain age". I actually think this one might partially explain my situation. It's called "Vestibular migraine may be an important cause of dizziness/vertigo in perimenopausal period". I don't have migraines or headaches or any kind, but as you'll see from the abstract, the changing hormonal picture during perimenopause is thought to be the cause of some kinds of dizziness.

Have a look:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20692105 

Abstract

Migraine disorders are more prevalent among women than men. The ovarian neurosteroids play an important role in this sex difference by modulating neurotransmitter systems involving migraine pathogenesis. During perimenopause, unlike the postmenopausal period, women are under unstable fluctuations of ovarian neurosteroid levels. Such fluctuations might be an important interval-specific trigger for activating migraines. Along with migraine headache, dizziness is one of the most common complaints of perimenopause. A significant portion of this dizziness may be caused by vestibular migraine that has heterogeneous clinical features with dizziness and/or migraine headache. Because of this variation in phenomenology, the symptom of dizziness and vertigo during perimenopause is frequently misclassified as being a nonspecific climacteric symptom or having psychological origin. The recognition of vestibular migraine and its heterogeneous clinical presentations are important to understand, differentiate and correctly diagnose the symptom of dizziness and vertigo during perimenopausal transition. Further, recognition of the steroid influences on migraine genesis will lead to improved treatment regimens for vertigo from migraine.

I've noticed a pattern to my dizziness/ lightheadedness. I am much worse in the mornings, better by lunch, and pretty much normal afternoons and evenings. Does this sound like it's related to my cortisol levels being higher in the mornings? I would think if it was not benzo related I would have it more constant throughout the day. Just curious what you guys think. Has anyone else experienced dizziness that occurs only the first few hours of the morning?

Hi Fp,

My patterns are different than yours, in that I mostly have an every-other-day situation...but not always. I'll be interested to hear what others have to say, but in my opinion, it's hard to draw any firm conclusions from the patterns. There are so many types of dizziness/disequilibrium, so there may be overlap in symptom presentation.

Hi Everyone,

I came across another really interesting bit of research recently, and it's taken a bit of time to read through the full study. I'm almost done, but I wanted to share a key piece of info that might highlight a potential issue for women dealing with dizziness. I'll put the links in for the abstract and the full study, and then I'll share the quote I'm talking about. The study is called "Sexual Dimorphism in Vestibular Function and Dysfunction", and it refers to the differences between men and women with regards to vestibular issues. Apparently, women are much more likely to suffer with dizziness than men.

Abstract

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31042453

It has been recognised for some time that females appear to be over-represented in the incidence of many vestibular disorders, and recent epidemiological studies further support this idea. While it is possible that this is due to a reporting bias, another possibility is that there are actual differences in the incidence of vestibular dysfunction between males and females. If this is true, it could be due to a sexual dimorphism in vestibular function and therefore dysfunction, possibly related to the hormonal differences between females and males, although the higher incidence of vestibular dysfunction in females appears to last long after menopause. Many other neurochemical differences exist between males and females, however, that could be implicated in sexual dimorphism. This review critically explores the possibility of sexual dimorphism in vestibular function and dysfunction, and the implications it may have for treatment of vestibular disorders.

Full Study:

http://sci-hub.tw/https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31042453 

And here's what I was just reading about:

Since estrogen, progesterone and their metabolites modulate the GABAA and serotonin receptors, it follows that the efficacy of drugs acting on these receptors and neurotransmitter systems is likely to vary throughout the menstrual cycle. If an anxiolytic drug, such as a benzodiazepine, being used to treat an anxiety disorder, or a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), being used  to  treat  a  depressive  or  anxiety  disorder,  has  less  effect  during  some  parts  of  the menstrual cycle, this could worsen the affective disorder and have an indirect effect on a vestibular  disorder  such  as  VM, PPDS,  DS  or  non-specific  vertigo.  Anxiety  disorders,  of course, are also more common in females than in males (Darlington, 2009).

I was unaware of the relationship between female hormones and the GABAA and serotonin receptors. Another important piece of information is that menstruation affects how a medication is metabolized, and so it varies throughout the menstrual cycle.

Here's are two more important sections:

Limitations of available research

One  the  major  obstacles  to  a  better  understanding  of  why  females  are  over-represented  in  so  many  vestibular  disorders  is  the  lack  of  studies  that  have  specifically examined male/female differences. With the increasing aging population due to advances in medical  care,  there  has  been  increasing  interest  in  the  effects  of  aging  on  the  vestibular system and how this might be related to falls; however, a similar urgency does not appear to exist when considering the differences between males and females (Gillies and McArthur, 2010). In the context of any interaction between vestibular disorders such as VM, PPDS, DS or non-specific vertigo, and the use of anxiolytic and antidepressant drugs, this is of even more concern because prescriptions of such drugs to women are usually much greater than for men. Ironically, much of the available evidence as to how these drugs work on the brain derives from studies in males. This is particularly acute in the case of animal studies, where, unless the focus of the study is a comparison of males and females, female rats and mice are often not used because twice as many animals are needed and the researchers then need to be concerned about where the animals are in the estrous cycle or use OVX in order to control for the estrous cycle variable. It is much easier and less expensive to use only male animals, especially  when  there  is  a  preconception  or  bias  that  sex  differences  should  not  exist.  In neuroscience generally, this has resulted in a dearth of studies using female animals, even when  these  studies  concern  drugs  that  are  used  more  commonly  in  female  patients. Interestingly,  it  has  recently  been  reported  in  a  meta-analysis  that  the  preconception  that including  female  animals  in  neuroscience  studies,  increases  variability  due  to  hormonal fluctuations, is incorrect (Becker et al., 2016).

Implications for treatment of vestibular disorders

The  implications  of  any  differences  between  males  and  females  in  the  incidence  of vestibular disorders are obvious. An over-representation of females suggests that they are in some way more prone to vestibular dysfunction as a result of specific mechanisms that exist in the female brain and/or peripheral vestibular system. Therefore, it possible that the optimal treatment for some of these disorders in women requires different methods than those used for men (Gillies and McArthur, 2010). This might involve taking account of the phase of the menstrual cycle in which the woman presents, using additional drugs in cases where drug treatment  is  required,  or  altering  drug  doses  during  the  menstrual  cycle.  Interestingly, Vorasubin et al. (2018) reported that even the length of stay in hospital following vestibular schwannoma surgery, was significantly longer for women than for men. 

Have any dizzy Buddies tried Tai Chi for help with balance? This study suggests it might be a helpful practice:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31046404

Impact of Tai Chi Exercise on Balance Disorders: A Systematic Review

Huang HW1, Nicholson N2, Thomas S3.

Author information

Department of Audiology and Speech Pathology, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences/University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

Department of Audiology, Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, FL.

Department of Library Education and Reference Services, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock.

Abstract

Purpose Tai chi is receiving increasing research attention with its benefit of improving flexibility and balance. The objective of this review was to examine the evidence concerning the impact of tai chi as a practical therapy for vestibular rehabilitation on individuals with balance and vestibular disorders.

Method A systematic review using 4 electronic databases was conducted. Randomized clinical trials and quasi-experimental studies were included.

Results Four studies met the inclusion criteria and were included for data analysis. Results indicate positive effect of tai chi practice on dynamic postural stability in balance of its practitioners.

Conclusion Tai Chi may be a useful therapy as for vestibular rehabilitation as it improves dynamic balance control and flexibility of individuals with balance and vestibular disorders.