Important Survey - Please Participate ×

The Dizziness Group: For those who are floating, boating, falling or flying

[La...]

You're welcome! If low hemoglobin is one of the reasons why you feel so bad, then getting your level back up should help. You can also do dietary things. I'm not a meat eater, but animal sources of iron are better absorbed than vegetable sources. Adding a source of vitamin C to your iron-containing food (or taking a vitamin C supplement) can help with iron absorption. Do a little search online of iron sources. Menstruating women need more than men because they lose iron every month.

I think ginger works on nausea and, perhaps, motion sickness-type dizziness, but I would guess it wouldn't affect this type of dizziness. I eat lots of ginger, but I'm still a very dizzy dame!

Hi Dizzy Buddies,

How is everyone? Hanging in there, I hope?

I'm sharing a couple of articles from PubMed on dizziness, both of which illustrate how many types of dizziness there are and how difficult it can be to diagnose it correctly.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30743290

Acute Dizziness

Gurley KL1,2,3, Edlow JA1,2.

Author information

Deparment of Emergency Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts.

Department of Emergency Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts.

Department of Emergency Medicine, Mount Auburn Hospital, Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Abstract

Dizziness is a common chief complaint with an extensive differential diagnosis that includes both benign and serious conditions. Physicians must distinguish the majority of patients who suffer from self-limiting conditions from those with serious illnesses that require acute treatment. The preferred approach to the diagnosis of an acutely dizzy patient emphasizes different aspects of the history to guide a focused physical examination, with the goal of differentiating benign peripheral vestibular conditions from dangerous posterior circulation strokes. Currently, misdiagnoses are frequent and diagnostic testing costs are high. This partly relates to use of an outdated diagnostic paradigm. This commonly used traditional approach relies on dizziness "symptom quality" or "type" (vertigo, presyncope, disequilibrium) to guide inquiry. It does not distinguish benign from dangerous causes and is inconsistent with current best evidence. A better approach categorizes patients into three groups based on timing and triggers. Each category has its own differential diagnosis and targeted bedside approach: (1) acute vestibular syndrome, where bedside physical examination differentiates vestibular neuritis from stroke; (2) spontaneous episodic vestibular syndrome, where associated symptoms help differentiate vestibular migraine from transient ischemic attack; and (3) triggered episodic vestibular syndrome, where the Dix-Hallpike and supine roll test help differentiate benign paroxysmal positional vertigo from posterior fossa structural lesions. The "timing and triggers" diagnostic approach for the acutely dizzy derives from current best evidence and offers the potential to reduce misdiagnosis while simultaneously decreasing diagnostic test overuse, unnecessary hospitalization, and incorrect treatments.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30747510

Neurologic Conditions: Dizziness and Vertigo

McKinley JE1, Perkins A2.

Author information

Crestwood Medical Center, 1 Hospital Drive Southwest, Huntsville, AL 35801.

University of South Alabama College of Medicine Department of Family Medicine, 1601 Center Street, 2N Mobile, AL 36604.

Abstract

Dizziness is seen frequently in patients in the family medicine and emergency department settings. The differential diagnosis of dizziness can be expansive but with a targeted history and physical examination, a correct diagnosis often can be established and appropriate treatment offered. Common etiologies of dizziness include hypotension, benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), and Meniere disease. Strokes and malignancies also can cause this symptom. Imaging is indicated if intracranial pathology is suspected. BPPV typically is self-limited but maneuvers such as the Epley maneuver can be used for more rapid resolution. Meniere disease can be difficult to manage. First-line treatments are lifestyle and diet modification. Avoidance of triggers is important for patients with vestibular migraine. Some vestibular-suppressive drugs and anticonvulsants may be useful in the prevention and management of vestibular migraine. (This is an off-label use of some anticonvulsants.).

Hi everyone. I just found this support group searching around “ear inflammation” I’m dealing with ear inflammation which could be the cause for my lately loss of balance and dizziness....:(

I’m scared it could be something big, hopefully it’s only my ear...

Much love  :smitten:

Blossom

Hi Blossom,

I'm not familiar with that. Is your ear inflamed inside? Did you see a doctor? Is there an infection there? The system of balance -- the vestibular system -- is located in the inner ear, with various structures (semi-circular canals, otolith organs, etc.), so yes, if you have an ear issue, it can affect balance. But it's best to get things checked out properly. Benzos affect balance due to their effects on various neurotransmitters, much like alcohol.

Hi Blossom,

I'm not familiar with that. Is your ear inflamed inside? Did you see a doctor? Is there an infection there? The system of balance -- the vestibular system -- is located in the inner ear, with various structures (semi-circular canals, otolith organs, etc.), so yes, if you have an ear issue, it can affect balance. But it's best to get things checked out properly. Benzos affect balance due to their effects on various neurotransmitters, much like alcohol.

Hello there! Yes, I started feeling dizzy out of the blue and lost balance while I was in the restroom, then the next day I felt lost of balance again and pain in my ear. I went to the doctor and she said no infection was present but it was inflammed. She is a very young doctor so she didn’t say much, only gave me some drops and naproxen and told me that if in a week I didn’t feel better go to see the otolaryngologist.

Hi Blossom,

Hello there! Yes, I started feeling dizzy out of the blue and lost balance while I was in the restroom, then the next day I felt lost of balance again and pain in my ear. I went to the doctor and she said no infection was present but it was inflammed. She is a very young doctor so she didn’t say much, only gave me some drops and naproxen and told me that if in a week I didn’t feel better go to see the otolaryngologist.

Hi Blossom,

Well, I think it would definitely be good to get another opinion. For sure, the benzos can cause dizziness, so that's a given. But inflammation in the ear might be something else -- or they could be related. If you're concerned, definitely seek out another opinion.

Hi Blossom,

Hi Blossom,

Well, I think it would definitely be good to get another opinion. For sure, the benzos can cause dizziness, so that's a given. But inflammation in the ear might be something else -- or they could be related. If you're concerned, definitely seek out another opinion.

Thanks for the support, I already did an appt with the otolaryngologist :)

Hi Blossom,

What did the otolaryngologist say re: inflammation and balance issues? In his/her opinion, are they related? Did s/he say what role the benzo might be playing?

Hi Blossom,

What did the otolaryngologist say re: inflammation and balance issues? In his/her opinion, are they related? Did s/he say what role the benzo might be playing?

Hi Lapis, I have the appt with my general Dr to discuss my dry tapering plan (reduce .001 each day) he is a great Dr and a team player, I will also ask him to check my ear, and the otolaryngologist appt is until next thursday! I will keep you guys posted!!! :smitten:

Hi Blossom,

Hi Lapis, I have the appt with my general Dr to discuss my dry tapering plan (reduce .001 each day) he is a great Dr and a team player, I will also ask him to check my ear, and the otolaryngologist appt is until next thursday! I will keep you guys posted!!! :smitten:

Hey, that's great! Nice to have a supportive doctor onside with you as you taper. Please do let us know how that appointment goes.

[f4...]

I'm happy to report that this crazy boatlike dizziness has gone away for me; the improvement was nonlinear, but gradual. All I've got left is that slight wooziness caused by double vision, which I'm sure will go away at one point as well, since both withdrawal and my stress problems are slowly but surely improving.

I'm applying for my account to be deleted, since I feel that this is vital towards my recovery, but I think this post will be preserved regardless of that. I remember this symptom being the most pesky, so I felt I owed it to you guys to report about my progress.

All the best and hang in there. :) 

I'm happy to report that this crazy boatlike dizziness has gone away for me; the improvement was nonlinear, but gradual. All I've got left is that slight wooziness caused by double vision, which I'm sure will go away at one point as well, since both withdrawal and my stress problems are slowly but surely improving.

I'm applying for my account to be deleted, since I feel that this is vital towards my recovery, but I think this post will be preserved regardless of that. I remember this symptom being the most pesky, so I felt I owed it to you guys to report about my progress.

All the best and hang in there. :)

FANTASTIC NEWS! And thank you so, so much for coming back to tell us about it here, Weishaupt! That's really thoughtful of you and so appreciated by everyone. Your good news gives us all hope -- a win-win situation!  :) :) :)

Enjoy whatever comes next for you, Weishaupt! Take good care.

Hi again, Weishaupt,

If you're dropping in again, can I just ask a question or two? Just to confirm, you were on the meds for about two years, and your dizziness lasted about two-and-a-half years? Or a bit more? I just want to confirm that since, when you leave, your signature will be gone too, and we'll won't be able to see what you took, how long you took it for and how long it took to get better.

Once again, I want to say "Congratulations!" and to wish you all the best. It's such wonderful news! And because so many people just leave without letting us know that they've gotten better, it means all the more that you took the time to do so. Thank you again for that.

Hi lapis2, everyone :) , I just returned from my doctors appointment, he said my ear looks ok,  :idiot:  He prescribed me Betahistine for vertigo for 15 days....

Don't really know what to think.

Hi Blossom,

So, I guess there's no infection, which is good. Did he say why he was prescribing the Betahistine? What does he think you have? I believe that's for Meniere's Disease. I was prescribed it too, but it didn't work, and the pharmacist advised me that if it was going to work, it would have done so by the time I was talking to him and asking more questions. Suffice to say, I stopped it. Anyway, it would be interesting to hear your doctor's thoughts on it.

He didn't say why, he just told me it was for vertigo and that it would work.

hmmm...... hope it works for me. I will keep you guys posted.

Lapis, how long have you been with disequilibrium??

much love

Blossom4

Guys,  Betahistine seems to work.

Lapis, I don't want to discredit your pharmacist, but my doctor give the medication to me for 15 days and he told me my vertigo was "a little bit".  That makes me think it works in a few days, kinda like a high blood pressure medicine. This is my second day and I already felt the difference.

Much love.

Blossom4

Guys,  Betahistine seems to work.

Lapis, I don't want to discredit your pharmacist, but my doctor give the medication to me for 15 days and he told me my vertigo was "a little bit".  That makes me think it works in a few days, kinda like a high blood pressure medicine. This is my second day and I already felt the difference.

Much love.

Blossom4

Hi Blossom,

That's great news! You're not discrediting my pharmacist at all, since I'd been taking the medication for two or three weeks when I contacted the pharmacist for more information. That's when he said that if it were going to work for me, it would have worked by then. So, no conflict at all there. If it's working for you, that means that the medication is addressing the type of dizziness you have. It didn't address mine.

Anyway, stay in touch and let us know how it goes. I think your experience reinforces what I keep suggesting around here -- that is, there are many different causes of dizziness, and it's important to get properly checked out in order to determine whether there's something that needs to be addressed medically. Benzos can cause many symptoms that are common to other illnesses as well. It's best not to blame everything on benzos, since sometimes, it's not a benzo issue.

Lapis,  gotcha! Ok so yes, then your pharmacist was right! The only thing is that is causing me gastritis... what a price to pay, I’ll keep you guys posted. I totally believe not everything is bezos to blame.

Much love

Blossom4

Yes, blossom, I was checking the possible side effects this morning, and stomach stuff seems to be common. I hope it's not too bad! Take care.

it varies a lot, when I am sitting down in an eating table and start looking at people I get dizzy.

when I'm walking it reduces I will say almost completely.

In the morning I get dizzier.

much love

Blosom4 :smitten:

Hey Blossom,

From your signature, it looks like you're still taking a bit of clonazepam. Did you ask about any interactions between the two medications you're taking? Also, are you supposed to follow up with him at a certain point?

Ive had dizziness since my taper off ativan ended 4 months ago. Really more lightheadedness and sometimes the feeling you might have after stepping off a treadmill - the feeling you are moving when you're not. It subsided somewhat in the third month, but has recently resurfaced. Ive dropped down from 50 mg to 25 mg of Pristiq with no real withdrawal problems. I take melatonin at night to help me fall asleep. Ive recently cut down from 3mg to 1.5mg of melatonin. Im cutting the melatonin out to see if maybe its a cause.

My dizziness / lightheadedness is always worse in the morning and tends to subside by mid day and is virtually nonexistent after lunch.

Im hoping my dizziness is a benxo sfx that will slowly (or quickly) resolve itself the further I distance myself from jumping. Does anyone have any input or insight into my dizzy/lightheadedness? Thanks so much!

Also, Ive been reading through this group, but their are thousands of post to read. Everywhere else on BB it says everyone heals. Does that apply to us. How many that have posted here have comeback to say their dizziness has resolved over time?

Fp