Sexual problems with long term benzodiazepine use

[Sp...]

Hi skidreamer. Thanks for your reply. It has reassured me that i can hopefully turn this whole situation around once i get off the diazepam.  It should only be another 6-7 months until i am off the diazepam, as i plan to come off at a very low dose at around 0.04- 0.024mg of diazepam. To answer your question i have had sex with quite a few women in the last 9 years, but as i have mentioned ever since taking psychiatric drugs (SSRI's and benzos) i have been unable to enjoy sex properly, and it is more like a very mildly pleasurable chore which i dont bother to seek out. The problem was not as bad when i was on lorazepam, and i had a slight libido then, although it was still very low. Since switching over to diazepam my libido went from very low to almost non existant, and i often struggle to get an erection. This was not the case when i was on lorazepam, and even though i had a low sex drive on lorazepam i could always get an erection. It seems that diazepam really doesn't agree with me in the sexual department. I know its to do with the diazepam as the only time i feel slightly horny is when i am in withdrawal, and i also find it easier to get an erection in withdrawal. I take on board your advice about the therapist, but i will first wait to come off the diazepam as i know within myself it is the drugs and it is not psychological. Can i ask one last question. Although you have come off the seroquel and feel your libido has improved, do you still feel your libido is being somewhat dampened down by the clonazepam? Out of interest i did some research on benzodiazepines and sexual side effects, and they lower libido by inhibiting nor adrenaline and dopamine, and therefore reducing awareness and arousal which are needed for sexual excitement. Benzodiazepines can also cause anorgasmia (pleasureless/ reduced orgasms), delay ejaculation, and also cause erectile dysfunction. I am not sure if this is by the same mechanism of action as how they reduce libido. Also not everyone is affected by sexual side effects of benzodiazepines, and some people are affected greatly and others to a lesser extent. Also  the research suggested different benzodiazepines affect people differently in regards to sexual side effects.

Just wanted to check in to say that i am now at 0.24mg of diazepam and my sexual problems are at long last after 9 years starting to resolve. My sex drive has improved, my orgasms are less muted, i can get an erection more easily, and my genitals no longer feel as numb. These improvements are waxing and waning, and i still feel i have a way to go for the sexual problems to fully heal. Nevertheless these improvements are the best i have had in 9 years, and i now feel fairly confident my sexual problems will fully recover. These improvements have only become apparent at the very end stages of my taper, when i reached a very low dose. It goes to show the sexual problems were caused by the benzos all along.

Just wanted to check in to say that i am now at 0.24mg of diazepam and my sexual problems are at long last after 9 years starting to resolve. My sex drive has improved, my orgasms are less muted, i can get an erection more easily, and my genitals no longer feel as numb. These improvements are waxing and waning, and i still feel i have a way to go for the sexual problems to fully heal. Nevertheless these improvements are the best i have had in 9 years, and i now feel fairly confident my sexual problems will fully recover. These improvements have only become apparent at the very end stages of my taper, when i reached a very low dose. It goes to show the sexual problems were caused by the benzos all along.

Hallelujah......i told you so, enjoy feeling human again. :)