Important Survey - Please Participate ×

On Mirtazapine one year, Starting Substitution Taper, easier than SSRIs to quit.

[da...]

My psychiatrist/resident doc started me on Mirtazapine almost a year ago, to help with anxiety, she says its quite good for anxiety.  It is the first anti-depressant i've tried that did not make me feel spacey or sleepy.  Wikipedia has a good amount of info on it, including this: "Mirtazapine and other antidepressants generally produce a degree of physical dependence and may cause a withdrawal upon discontinuation, though such effects are usually much less severe with mirtazapine in comparison to the SSRIs and related drugs.[70][113][114][115] It should be noted that the withdrawal effects of antidepressants are typically nowhere near as strong as those of the benzodiazepines.[116]

I'm glad it's helping you, David, but if  you ever want to stop, do remember to taper.  For those who don't recognzie this generic (I didn't), this is also known as Remeron. 

Hi, first post of many I hope, its known as Zispin where Im from, I took it for about a year and found it great for my insomnia, i dont remember getting any bad withdrawals from it, I lost about 10lbs ( one of the side effects is weight gain ), I was put on amitriptyline straight after so maybe thats why I had no problems, I hope all turns out well :)

Hi, first post of many I hope, its known as Zispin where Im from, I took it for about a year and found it great for my insomnia, i dont remember getting any bad withdrawals from it, I lost about 10lbs ( one of the side effects is weight gain ), I was put on amitriptyline straight after so maybe thats why I had no problems, I hope all turns out well :)

Hi sam051, welcome!!  Start a thread of your own by clicking on new topic.  We look forward to getting to know you!!  :thumbsup:

I don't like to worry you but I am having a very hard time coming off Mirtazapine/Zispin/Remeron (depends where you are). With me though I am not sure if it's underlying protracted benzo wds or I am very sensitive to ADs/withdrawals. I have read on website bcnc.org.uk about drug use in benzo recovery that Mirt/Zispin etc is the ONLY anti D that is strongly advised against in benzo recovery due to "horrendous symptoms that last an extremely long time". The author of that article states that they aren't sure if these negative effects are only suffered by benzo recovering people or everyone in general because his experience and contact was mainly with recovering benzo 'addicts'. Sorry if this worries you but to be forewarned is to be forearmed (is that what they say?) It came as a huge shock to find out I am not totally at end of WD process and have to go thru Mirt WDs. I don't yet know how long symptoms are likely to last but can't be as long as benzo WDs? Please God I HOPE!!!!!! Anyway good luck and health to you. I reduced from 30mg to 22.5mg and was not too bad but last Mirt reduction was from 7.5 mg to 3.75 mg over 5 weeks ago and I feel very ILL. Not as bad for everyone I would think. All the best for your recovery. danray0069.