Important Survey - Please Participate ×

CerefolinNAC

[ab...]

Hello everyone, I went to my md yesterday and was given a sample of a drug called CerefolinNAC. I took one and felt Pretty strange. I looked it up  later that day and it seems to be mainly prescribed for alzheimers. This alone concerns me. It contains vitamins b12 also and it seems most people in recovery are quite sensitive to this vitamin. I'm not sure I want to be on it. Has anyone heard of this drug or been on it? They have a website that is very informative. Any thoughts, questions, or advice would be appreciated. :-\ Abe

I ask myselfe..............................after the experience of Benzos..........how can you take a new drug and read AFTER what it is??????

Do you really trust in docs annymore???? Or dont you want to take responsabillity for yourselfe???

Greets

Leon

Hi Abe,

I'm not familiar with that med, at the moment.  But as for the B12, I've never been "sensitive" to it during benzo w/d's.  Course, I took it before I got off Klon.  Don't know if that made a difference.  I think it actually helped the muscle and skin burning a few times. 

I like to trust my feelings of whether or not to take something.  I usually find my instincts are correct (for myself).  Seems like no one can know us as well as we know ourselves, right?  :thumbsup:

Maybe your feelings are telling you something? 

adelia

Hi Abe,

Do you know why the doc prescribed this med for you?  Is it because of memory loss or is he trying to boost your immune system?  Or maybe he is treating you for depression?

Patty  xo

Hi Abe,

B vitamins give me severe anxiety, yet I've had blood tests that show I am extremely deficient in them.  Too afraid to take them because the anxiety and increased symptoms they cause don't seem to be worth it.  Hoping that once I'm off the valium, I will be able to tolerate them a little better.

I think Adelia was right in that sometimes we have to trust our own bodies.  What works for some may not work for others. Talk with your doc, do the research, then decide for yourself if this is something you need.  Wishing you the best.

hello and thank you all for your replies.I believe the reason for prescribing this was both to boost the immune system, and help with the memory loss.I'm sure depression was another factor. I should also clarify that I did  read the information that came with the sample before taking the drug.more extensive research was done later that day when I had access to the internet. And yes I do still trust in doctors keeping in mind that medicine is a practice and not an exact science :). I think I will begin taking the drug and see closely observe the effects ???. It seems pretty new and I havn't been able to find anyone whos used it during wd's. Might as well give it a shot. "when your going through hell, keep going".  :thumbsup:.....Abe

Hi Abe,

Okay, I feel a bit clearer today, and realized that you're just taking NAC.  Duh (on my part).  It's just an amino acid (one of the building blocks of proteins) -- Cysteine.  This particular form is "N-Acetyl-Cysteine", a more useable form.  I've actually taken it a fair amount during w/d's (until I ran out).  It's recommended to breakdown toxic by-products that might be lurking around in the body.  And since that's one of the theories behind Alzeimer's, I can see why it's given for that. 

I was taking it for a candida (yeast) overgrowth, since candida give off toxic byproducts.  I didn't have any reactions at all.  Hopefully it helped, but I know I didn't have any reactions or symptoms revved up from it.  Some people report having trouble taking B12 and other B vitamins, but I didn't have any trouble with those either.  (Those are also in the Cerefolin NAC...right?) 

I didn't realize that NAC now comes in a prescribable form, as in...from the pharmacy.  Maybe I'll check it out! 

adelia 

Yes Cerefolin NAC does contain vitamins b 12 and b 6. Its active ingredients are N-acetylcysteine, L-methylfolate, and methylcobalamin. Its listed as a "medical food" which I assume means supplemant. My doctor's very supportive but located in a metropolitan city a few hours away so its hard to see him more than once a month.I'm sure a phone call on the matter would result in him leaving it up to me for the most part. Most patients its given too also seem to have serious chronic disease. Maybe I'm over thinking it all  :-\ Just a little worried about ingesting something new. Especially this new. My pharmacist had never even heard of it. Their website is worth checking out if anything. Have a good one.....Abe 

Hi Abe,

Well, you've done your research.  Sometimes that's the hard part.  As long as you don't have to invest a ton of money in the Cerefolin NAC, it might be worth a try.  When I try something out, I just monitor my symptoms closely, and if anything gets more weird, I can just stop taking it. 

How are your symptoms these days? 

adelia

Hi Adelia, The symptoms are very up and down. I still get quite dizzy and find it hard to get around. I think I'm afraid of more attacks. The attacks are less frequent now but much more intense. I obsess a lot about my memory problems. the easiest way to put it is just like Ive heard, the withdrawal is the opposite of everything there prescribed for. also the Valium is very different than i expected. It does make thinks much easier. Took me along time and a lot of Benzo to get in this situation. I would be a fool to think it wont take a long and slow recovery. Abe

Hi ya, Abe,

IMO your cognitive function won't get better until you are off the benzos.  For some, this is the last symptom to get better.  I can't obsess about my thinking.....it is what it is for right now. 

Patty  xo

Very well said Patty.

Hi ya, Abe,

IMO your cognitive function won't get better until you are off the benzos.  For some, this is the last symptom to get better.  I can't obsess about my thinking.....it is what it is for right now. 

Patty  xo