Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Inositol & Choline (natural supp) for anxiety???

[br...]

My doctor recommened 500mg of Inositol and 500mg of Choline (both natural supplements in the vitamin B family) as a natural way to alleviate anxiety.  Anyone heard of this?  I have used magnesium, vitamin D and fish oil along this 2 month journey, but just learned of Inositol.  Might be worth a try as I am all for NATURAL remedies.

Thoughts and ideas?

Brandi -

Is it your GP that recommended the supplements?  I don't know about those supplements in particular but I know even "natural" remedies can be harmful if used wrong.  Did you see the article about supplements that Theresa2 posted today on the Alternative Therapies and Supplements board?

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=14707.0

Thanks for the link to the article...I had not seen it.

Yes, my GP told me about both supplements.  I told me not to exceed 500mg/day, so I may stay on the safe side and start out with only 250mg/day of both the choline (which I have been taking off and on for the month) and introduce the inositol into system. 

I've done some reading online and found that some studies show better results for anxiety and depression that SSRIs.  Interesting.

I'm sure time is the only healer, but I wouldn't mind finding a natural long-term aid in anxiety management.  My GP also recommended fish oil and vitamin d, which I have been taking for about a month. 

My anxiety is not severe, but feel it trying to creep in at times.  Hopefully if I cut my doses right, I won't have too much of the SEVERE anxiety.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Brandi,

How are ya?  For occassional depression (when my thyroid gets low), I take amino acids.  They're the building blocks of protein, but sounds like you probably already know this.  I've found they work MUCH better than meds.  They are the precursors to neurotransmitters like GABA, DOPA, etc. 

For depression, I take tyrosine, 500 mg caps, with Vitamin B6, 50 mg.  Up to three times a day, on an empty stomach.  Can affect each person differently though.  This is just what I have found works for me.  For anxiety, I take different amino acids...

adelia 

I used inositol way back when insomnia wasn't near as bad as it is now ( back then, I thought 5 hours was horrid.  Now I'm down to 2-3 hours).  Can't get out to buy some, so will probably purchase some from someplace on the net.  Just worried about what I might get.  As for Choline, it actually is a brain energizer, that's why most docs prescribe the two together so that there is a balance.  I found choline made me worse....even eating eggs were hard on my system due to the choline level in them. I hope you will REALLY research this on your own, because as we all know, what may work for one won't work for another.

Wishing you the best and hope you find something that works for you.

Missy

I used Inositol for several months pre-Benzo without a lot of success. Don't know why I kept taking it as it didn't seem to do much. Maybe it would have worked better combined with Choline. I was also taking much more (up to 8 g. a day) than what your doctor recommends. I don't think it would hurt to try it as it seems to work for some folks.

Lynne  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking of trying inositol again. i was taking it while "detoxing"/tapering and it seemed to calm me down(placebo effect...perhaps?)

i was using the powder form dissolved in water.

I may try it again. My motto is if it works, GREAT. if it doesn't, don't take it.

be well!

steph

hey Steph, let me know if it works for ya.  I agree with you...if it works, great.  If not, then (hopefully) nothing lost.  I've also been finding the past few months that things can CHANGE.  And what worked, or didn't work, the first few months being off, can now work -- or not.  It's like a continual revolving door.  Have you found that too? 

adelia

I am thinking of trying inositol again. i was taking it while "detoxing"/tapering and it seemed to calm me down(placebo effect...perhaps?)

i was using the powder form dissolved in water.

I may try it again. My motto is if it works, GREAT. if it doesn't, don't take it.

be well!

steph

u

I posted on the insomnia board, but thought I'd just note that I've been using inositol (1000mg) and l-theanine (200mg) an hour before bedtime for sleep and have found this combo very helpful.  I've tried most everything else to no avail so I'm now a big fan of inositol and l-theanine (also an amino acid).  I haven't tried either for anxiety but maybe I will now.

John

I haven't yet tried inositol for sleep, John.  Thanks for your "reports" on how it's working.  Maybe I'll give it a shot too.  As I said on other boards, I'm a big fan of amino acids, especially taurine and theanine for relaxation and anti-anxiety.  My neurologist had recommend that I take taurine (GABA precursor) and theanine a few months ago. 

adelia