2 years of benzo story

[co...]

Hello,

I am 30 years old male. I'm told that I am suffering from depression and panic disorder. I also have some kind of arrhythmia in my heart.

I first met with benzos 2 years ago with upto 0.5mg of alprazolam per day. I've intermittently used it till May 2013 when my situation got worse after antidepressant withdrawal. Doctor put me on upto 1mg of alprazolam per day then switched to 2,5mg of lorazepam per day in August 2013. My panic attacks reduced in that period but I got constant anxiety. In Octorber 2013, I changed my doctor and new one put me to antidepressants again and started tapering me off from benzo with 2mg of clonazepam reducing 0.1mg every 2 days. It was thought to be 40 day tapering period but I cannot go lower of 0.5mg per day. I am still suffering from physical manifestations of anxiety and cannot function almost at all. I am still taking 0.5mg per day and I am also not sure if my physical symptoms caused by anxiety or benzo withdrawal.

I joined this community because I want get rid of this drug and communicate with people who can understand my situation.

Hello  cosmicgreen :hug:

Welcome to benzobuddies,

Have you been diagnosed by your doctor with this problem (arrhythmia)?.  I ask because I had this myself in withdrawal, it can be caused by these meds.  A very good resource about these medications is the Ashton Manual, written by an expert in the field.  Here is a link to the manual: Professor Ashtons Manual you will find It is a valuable resource for learning about benzos and how to taper off them, the general rule of thumb is to reduce between 5/10% every 10/14 days

Feel free to post to any of the dedicated boards, you'll find a great community of people who are here to support and encourage you. Members have been through all aspects of benzodiazepine use and withdrawal and are more than willing to share their experiences.You might also like to check out  The Klonopin Klub, we have a lot of knowledgeable members here who know what your going through and will give sound advice.

You might like to take a look at our anxiety board for support and tips for managing anxiety and panic attacks. Anxiety

Here are our 3 supported methods Three Supported Methods of Benzodiazepine Withdrawal and  If you would be so kind as to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice this link will show you how to Create a signature

Please let us know If you have any questions.

Welcome Aboard

Magrita

Hi cosmicgreen,

i am just joining Magrita in welcoming you to the Forum and don't worry,

people have a lot of knowledge and experience here , they will understand

your situation.

all the best with your Taper

and take care

claudia :smitten:

Thank you for prompt replies.

I had atrial fibrillation episode back in 2009 and then PVCs till this day.

I think all started that day, turned my attention to my body and made me some kind of hypochondriac. :D

• 9 years later...
After all those lost years, here I am again. I've never been healed, never been able to work. I was finally able to quit Paxil after 11 years of use last November, but my condition is getting worse daily. I'm at least SSRI-free now. In 2021 while still on SSRI, I was able to reduce to 0.5mg 2-3 times a week. Right now, I'm free of SSRI but on 0.75mg to 1.5mg of Klonopin daily, but it also stopped relieving me. I just take them to turn the volume down a little, whatever I feel (such as tachycardia, no energy, vertigo, burning skin/rashes, tingling hands, weak legs etc). Meanwhile, I also became an alcoholic. I'm drinking 6-10 beers 2-3 times a week since 2017 in order to be able to function. I'm even not sure if this is SSRI withdrawal since it's been 6 months already, and instead of improvement things just get worse. I don't know how deep they can go. So I want to get rid of this Klonopin as well. Been to many doctors without anything remarkable. Please help me.

It looks like it’s time to taper, but first, it would be a good idea if you stopped drinking so it won’t mess up your taper.  You know that alcohol is just benzo’s in liquid form so it would be tough to taper while still drinking beer. 

Are you taking the. Klonopin every day?

Hello cosmicgreen,

I’m an alcoholic who hasn’t had a drink in almost 14 years. Alcohol made my anxiety disorder worse on a day to day basis. Hangovers ramped up my anxiety and became increasingly more difficult to recover from as I got older. I struggled with my alcoholism for over 20 years, quitting many times only to start again with the same predictable and painful results. Everything is much easier without it, including my Klonopin taper.

I am so sorry that things are getting worse for you. It may feel like getting better is impossible, but it’s not.  So, so many people have recovered from alcoholism, benzodiazepine use, and panic disorder. That’s the truth. You’ve said that you’ve lost many years, I did too. Believe that other people have been in circumstances not unlike your own. They can help you.

I think Pamster is absolutely right about stopping drinking. You also should be aware that benzodiazepine use with alcohol is widely considered to be a dangerous combination. I’m sorry, there’s just no way to sugarcoat it. I know that you have been and are going through a lot, and I’m not trying to alarm you, but I would be doing you a disservice if I didn’t mention it. I googled “alcohol” and “benzodiazepines” and found this link:

https://www.goodrx.com/well-being/substance-use/is-it-safe-to-drink-alcohol-with-benzodiazepines

Hang in there, cosmicgreen, and let us know how we can help.

1988  started 1 mg per day Clonazepam for anxiety

2010 cold turkey with major withdrawals, went back on 1 mg

2021 Cut down to .5 too fast, woke up w/total numbness in left side of body lasting 3 days. Went back on full dose of 1 mg as MD suggested.

3/25/23 had dry cut 11% (dose 89% of 1 mg)

Found Benzobuddies

Started dry-cutting with thumbnails again,

just guess-work shaving with nail-file, no scale

right now as of 5/19/23.  Down about .133 from .169 Weight of pill since first cut from 1 mg C Tablet.

Finally on a regular Dry-cut and Hold Taper, started 5/22/23

5/22/23  .130 Holding til stable

6/02/23  .130 still holding