Crippling insomnia at 6-7 months off

[...]

I noticed you are only a short term user. Do you think you are 80% healed ? How long have you been off benzo or any type of psych. med ?

Ed C

Hi Ed,

I'm almost 16 months off after very low dose of "assorted" benzos and sleeping pills (ativan, xanax, zopiclone). Unfortunately I realized not too long ago that this was the second time for me and maybe that's why I had such a violent reaction, my CNS was pre-sensitized and probably I'm sensitive for life. Around 2005-2007, I don't remember exactly, I was prescribed Librax for what my doctor at that time said was IBS. I took it for few weeks, a month, and I stopped C/T because it didn't do anything. I went through similar symptoms at that time except for insomnia and maybe that's why I went much easier over the WD. The length of time and the dose didn't seem to count this second time. I had a really bad reaction to the poison and I experienced many of the symptoms that long term users have. I went through months of almost total insomnia. I didn't think I'll make it.

Am I 80% healed? Some days (or nights) yes some other I'm nowhere close to that. I'm still going through waves of insomnia, muscle aches, mental fog, derealization, digestive issues, blah, blah, blah... What can I do? I come here and vent from time to time, I feel like a zombie after few sleepless nights but overall I'm getting better. Veeeeeerrrrrryyyy sssslllooooooooowwwwww but I move in the good direction. I didn't touch a drop of alcohol since Sep 2012, I try to avoid any sleep aids and supplements.

Miti

Hi Miti, your story explains a lot of why I have such an intense and severe reaction in my withdrawal. My circumstance is somewhat similar to yours. I got introduced to benzo when I started taking anti-depressants in 2011. The idiot doctor gave  me Klonapin  and tamerzapam to deal with the paxil side effects. I was on them for about 4-6 months on and off. I did a rapid taper and quit quickly in May, 2012. I don't recall any serious w/d problems. I thought I was one of the fortunate ones who can c/t benzo with no serious consequences. I then rapid tapered and c/t paxil in February, 2013. The doctor gave me Activan to "patch me up" to make the paxil withdrawal easier. I thought if I survived the last benzo c/t, I should be able to do the same this time. I was so wrong. I took Activan for three months, low dosage, and I am now paying the heavy price. My CNS was presensitized and it has severe and intensive reaction to it.

I had two reasonable sleeps in the last three days, and bam, last night was another disaster again. I feel so crappy right now and wondering if I will ever be able to sleep again. How am I be able to enjoy this Christmas season with my family.  Sigh.......

Anyway, I do wish you a merry Christmas and continuous healing.

Ed C