Important Survey - Please Participate ×

I am so ANGRY!!

[li...]

Just had to post this for everyone to be sure and check your meds. For those of you that have read my posts, I have finished Klonopin and doing pretty well with the exception of a few sx's. I have had some issues that I could not understand but just thought they were part of the K tapper. I have posted before as have others that I was loosing a lot of hair. This is not uncommon with k so I just chalked it up to the tapper. I do take Levothyroxine for a low thyroid condition. Low or high thyroid can cause hair loss also. Since stopping k I had noticed that my hair was worse than ever. I am also itching and having a lot of what seems like allergic reactions to something. Again thought it was the aftermath of K tapper. Today I go to get my thyroid meds refilled and noticed a change on the bottle. Seems my doctor for the last two months had written my prescription for double the amount of thyroid meds I am suppose to be taking. I called the pharmacy back and asked if this could be causing me problems. He said oh yes it sure can and you need to contact your doctor right away. This explains why I have had sx's that I could not figure out and the increased hair loss. I just knew something wasn't right as I was doing to well with my tapper being finished. I just wanted to post this for the sake of everyone's well being. I aways check my meds to see if they look different but this did not. I am so upset over this, you come so far just to have a stupid mistake set you back. I will get this straightened out tomorrow when he is in his office. Just wanted to remind everyone to check your meds and make sure it is correct. I have never done will on levothroxine anyway but I was always on the lowest dose they make. I have never thought it agreed with me and now I really believe I am having a toxic reaction to it. Just hard to believe.

M >:(

I don't blame you for being angry, this is inexcusable!  Let us know what your Dr says, I'm wondering if responsibility will be taken for the mistake!

Wow i am so sorry. You need to report this mistake to the AMA or something isnt that the governing body of physicians? I can ask my sister who is a doctor what you may do to report this incident!

Hi Lito,

That same thing happened to me once.  Arrrgh!!!  But I noticed pretty quick as my colon went into hyper gear. 

And I've lately been going through a similar thing with low thyroid.  Losing more hair too!  With a ton of other symptoms that I just chaulked up to benzo stuff.  Come to find out, the thyroid pharm, company has reformulated their pills this year and didn't tell anyone.  I happened to read about it on a website....so I think that's how my thyroid has gone so low.  I'm feeling better already with a new higher dose.

Anyways, I share your frustrations!!!!  It's not easy to figure this stuff out, even with NO benzo symptoms, right?

adelia

That is really scary, Lito!  You're lucky you didn't die!! I say report the b**tard to the AMA, the APA, and then fire him!

I once complained to my doc that my generic wasn't working like the name brand. He said "of course they don't, they're made differently."  ?!?!

:o 

And these are the people we trust with our lives...

ginger

I once complained to my doc that my generic wasn't working like the name brand. He said "of course they don't, they're made differently."  ?!?!

Your right Ginger and it even the generic can vary from company to company that makes them. I am still trying to get a hold of him. I just skipped them for a couple days and felt better..the pharmacy told me to cut them in half until I got in touch with him. Took 1/2 last night and felt awful. So I am going to get him to change them and then find an endo doctor to work with because I can sure feel a difference when I take one. First time I was put on levothyroxine, I almost climbed the walls. At that time the doctor told me well you not that low so just stop them for now. Later my thyroid showed low again and I started taking them but I was also on Celexa so I didn't noticed much. It has never agreed with me. I saw proof last night though after being off them for a couple days, within a couple hours I felt bad and felt like I had a fever. I don't want him changing anything don't trust him now. I will just find a doctor that knows about thyroid problems and meds and go see him. We have a well known endo and thyroid doctor about 10 mins. for me so that will help..I guess, I am about to loose faith in these doctors. I looked up the symptoms of too much levothyroxine and I was having them all. Blaming on K but I had been feeling really good off K until he messed up with the levothyroxine. Disgusting to say the least.. :tickedoff:

M

Hi litobit,

When i was first put on thyroxine i was so bad on them like you i was climbing the walls with them my doc told me to stop taking them and i was fine without them he said i was possibly borderline and didnt need them but to keep a check ont it which i did and i started thyroxine a few years ago when things got worse and dont have a problem with it now....

My advice is to get it checked as you might not need it at all but it needs checking..

love lynn xx  :smitten:

My advice is to get it checked as you might not need it at all but it needs checking.

Thanks for letting me know Lynn. I will get it checked by someone else. I did have radio active iodine treatment when they found it to be high. Thing is though it took a week of drawing blood 3 times a day for it to show up. I was so full of all kinds of meds by that time that may have made it look to high. I was told they were only going to burn part of the thyroid gland so that led me to believe I would still have some thyroid left. From what I have heard most people go low shortly after that. It was 20 years later that mine showed low. Strange huh? This dumb doctor tells me I have no thyroid but how would he know, and why if I had no thyroid would I have gone so long for it to become low. Just makes no sense to me. I went to a new doctor now (past doctor) that put me on Klonopin and told him I had not taken it for a few days and he just looked at me and said you have to take that or you will become retarded...LOL ahh the joys of doctors...anyway I will get it checked, if you have to have it you have to have it but there has to be more than one thyroid med out there. From what I have read on the internet there are lots of people that can not take synthroid. Need to do more reseach before I hit some doctors up with some questions. Now days you just have to do things for yourself it seems like, or at least double check before you take anything.

M :smitten:

I've been on thyroid meds for more than 30 years. I took Synthroid for most of those years but the last probably 6 years I have been taking Levothyroxine and really did not notice a difference. I did have my thyroid levels become very unstable during my klono taper. More than ever in the last 30 years so I recommend anyone that has had thyroid issues to get it checked.

OHHHH my Litobit!  This would anger me.  It angers me knowing it happened to you or anyone else!  I'm so sorry this happened.  Keep us posted on what the doc says.  I have noticed my hair falling out and I'm not even on thyroid meds; I have my levels checked often.  I was told by a very good endo (at Cleveland Clinic and then here at home) that meds (including benzos) definitely affect the thyroid function even if your hormone levels are OK.  So going through w/d definitely makes your thyroid "act up" for some time.  Makes sense that our hormones would go crazy even if we don't need Synthroid or anything else like that.  It all makes me angry  >:( that this happens.

I hope it doesn't take long for your system to straighten out from this mistake. 

Jan

More than ever in the last 30 years so I recommend anyone that has had thyroid issues to get it checked.

I agree Theresa, mine has been checked twice already this year by 2 different doctors. The last check was 2 months ago when the doctor wrote the presc. wrong. Everytime it's checked it has been normal. Now that I am off k and had this little mess up it will be checked again. It really can throw you body out of balance and cause some real problems.

M

I have noticed my hair falling out and I'm not even on thyroid meds; I have my levels checked often.

Jan my hair did shed while on K and I know that is normal. Actually mine started breaking off and coming out last summer when I had all the anxiety problems.Could have been the anxiety or the thyroid meds. Little more while tappering K and I knew that was normal but since this thyroid doseage mess up it gotten a lot worse. I'll get it straightened out. My GP is just not one to talk to about it he just doesn't think meds can cause any problems like this. I don't think it will hurt me all that much but it sure has set me back a little and I was really moving on in a very good way..Just need to get to the bottom of it and back in balance.

Hi Lito,

There's a really good website for lay people that I use.  It's chock full of info about different thyroid, symptoms, meds, and treatments, and what to do if low or high etc. 

www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

I always learn something new there.  It seems I read there that some people  can react differently on some of the different meds, depending on "which" thyroid hormone you're low in...T3 or T4.  Some of the meds only contain one of the hormones, so.....that could make a big difference. 

adelia

Thanks adelia  I am very familar with that site. It is a good site, everything I look at on thyroid meds seems to lead me right back this that site. I have gotten some great information there.