Important Survey - Please Participate ×

PPI Questions HELP PLease

[...]

Hello- I have been having difficulty for the past month and am finally researching PPI's and what role they may or may not have taken with RE to the current situation I find myself in.

I was prescribed Protonix back in the start of my crossover from Ativan to Valium. I can't take it on a regular basis as prescribed because it cost's to much. 40Mg's daily unless symptomatic in which case 80Mg's daily until non symptomatic.

What stands out in my mind is that when this thing with my mouth started I had taken a Protonix because my stomach wasn't feeling well one day. Within an hour I was vomiting. This was only days after taking the last dose of Valium. After the vomiting I felt as if I had a sore in the corner of my lip, when I touched the sore with my tongue it felt tingly and numb.

Over the next few days it continued to get worse with the numb tingling sensation on my tongue but the sore had left. The numbness was replaced with burning and spread from the front of my mouth all the way down into the throat.

Just wonderring if others have ever had such an experience and what helped you to recover?

Thank you

KID

Hello- I have been having difficulty for the past month and am finally researching PPI's and what role they may or may not have taken with RE to the current situation I find myself in.

I was prescribed Protonix back in the start of my crossover from Ativan to Valium. I can't take it on a regular basis as prescribed because it cost's to much. 40Mg's daily unless symptomatic in which case 80Mg's daily until non symptomatic.

What stands out in my mind is that when this thing with my mouth started I had taken a Protonix because my stomach wasn't feeling well one day. Within an hour I was vomiting. This was only days after taking the last dose of Valium. After the vomiting I felt as if I had a sore in the corner of my lip, when I touched the sore with my tongue it felt tingly and numb.

Over the next few days it continued to get worse with the numb tingling sensation on my tongue but the sore had left. The numbness was replaced with burning and spread from the front of my mouth all the way down into the throat.

Just wonderring if others have ever had such an experience and what helped you to recover?

Thank you

KID

I hope you have told your prescribing physician about that possible reaction to taking Protonix?  Have you continued to take it?  I have taken a similar drug, Prevacid, for many years for acid reflux without a problem but don't really know anything about Protonix in particular. Sorry.  :-\

Thank you

KID

I hope you have told your prescribing physician about that possible reaction to taking Protonix?  Have you continued to take it?  I have taken a similar drug, Prevacid, for many years for acid reflux without a problem but don't really know anything about Protonix in particular. Sorry.  :-\

Thank you Beeps. I've been on Protonix at least a year and that was the first time anything that I knew of happened.

NO I did't tell anyone and I don't have any refills left but the new doc did want me to continue on the stuff. He didn't write a refill and I won't ask him to that's for sure.

KID

KID, if you have erosive esophgael acid reflux, you really need to be taking something.  If it only happened that one time, it's probably not the Protonix causing your mouth/tongue/throat problems.  BTW, did you get that test for thrush?  Any results?

From what little I know about PPI's, it is suggested that you have to wean off of it so as not to cause a drastic backlash of acid formation?? I don't think PPI's should be used on a as needed basis either??

KID, if you have erosive esophgael acid reflux, you really need to be taking something.  If it only happened that one time, it's probably not the Protonix causing your mouth/tongue/throat problems.  BTW, did you get that test for thrush?  Any results?

Beeps yes tested for Thrush but NO results to ANY tests yet. YES I have or did have erosive esophageal acid reflux yes that's why the irritation and mild bleeding on exam. My friend the surgeon did the endo in place of the gastroenterologist because they got me in QUICK and then surgeon waited for gastro to review because he was concerned it looked like CA Beeps. It wasn't CA but it wasn't very pretty either. That's why I had to switch from Nexium to Protonix and double dose for like at least a month if not two and supposed to have stayed forever on 40mgs unless active BAD symptoms came back.

KID

From what little I know about PPI's, it is suggested that you have to wean off of it so as not to cause a drastic backlash of acid formation?? I don't think PPI's should be used on a as needed basis either??

T ever since HOPE told me about weaning and since I got burnt that day vomitting I have been thinking something isn't right. As needed was STUPID and I have messed up badly I think T but I don't quite know what to do now. :-[ YES I will look up the phone and call the doc now guys. OH MAN.  :-[

T ever since HOPE told me about weaning and since I got burnt that day vomitting I have been thinking something isn't right. As needed was STUPID and I have messed up badly I think T but I don't quite know what to do now. :-[ YES I will look up the phone and call the doc now guys. OH MAN.  :-[

Wellllllll now we sit and wait some more  >:(:tickedoff: the lady could have cared less and told me somebody would get back to me today or tomorrow.  :tickedoff:

OK so that others will know what the medication is and nobody else has to research it later down the road here we go:

Protonix (generic) 

Common Uses: This medicine is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) used to treat ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), erosive esophagitis, or Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. This medicine works by blocking acid production in the stomach. It may be used in combination with antibiotics including amoxicillin or clarithromycin to treat certain types of ulcers. It may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.

Generic Name: E: PANTOPRAZOLE (pan-TOE-pra-zole)