Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

How long does it take...

[So...]

How long does it take to feel a cut on Ativan and Klonopin?

I am reducing the Klonopin right now and trying to stabilize on Ativan. (Long story)

I then want to start reducing the day time doses of Ativan.

Also, who does their tapering based on symptoms?

Yesterday, I cut my Klonopin doses in half, and substituted the other half with Ativan. I had a little anxiety today. Nothing too bad, but it was there off and on.

I am going to hold doing this for a few more days to see if any more symptoms kick up.

But, since I have never tapered before, I would like to know how long it takes to feel symptoms after a cut of these two meds.

Thanks,

Denise  :smitten:

The advantage of using a shorter acting benzo is that cuts can usually in most cases be felt relatively quickly. Research your drugs and check out what their half lives are. The half life will give you a rough idea when you may start feeling a cut. Of course, this always differs from person to person. Some people are very sensitive  to cuts, even with the longer half life benzos like Valium, and can feel them fairly quickly.

It is my sense that today's anxiety that you are feeling may be in relation to the cut, but there is also the possibility that you are having some anxiousness around the drug change. You will soon be able to tell for yourself how you are feeling and what it means in relation to your taper. You will become your own expert regarding yourself.

At least my anxiety was very manageable. And, I could tell it was chemical anxiety, so I kicked it off.

But, I am concerned about tomorrow. The half life of Klon is 18-50 hours.

Denise  :smitten:

Sophia....I don't know about the K..but when you begin reducing the ativan go slowly...when I was cutting my ativan I usually felt the cut by the 3-4 day.. for ativan I think it really eases the taper to divide the dose into 4-5 equal parts and dose each 4-5 hours. The interdose s/x of ativan were really challenging for me...so if I understand your post ...you have made a 50% cut in the K and replaced that amount with the ativan?.... I have no idea what that means in terms of taper and s/x..but I am not as knowledgeable as some of the other BBs....

..........Hope you get this figured out Sophia....it 's kind of an odd one and your physician doesn't 't seem to be versed on benzo w/d....wishing you well....cooperten