Important Survey - Please Participate ×

A painkiller forum for psychological / physical addiction

[...]

Does anyone know a forum online (structured like this) for opiates or opioids? I am having more trouble with Tramadol abuse even though I realize eventually the Valium will be harder to kick. I would like some advice on how to stop cravings and even advice on tapering plans. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know a forum online (structured like this) for opiates or opioids? I am having more trouble with Tramadol abuse even though I realize eventually the Valium will be harder to kick. I would like some advice on how to stop cravings and even advice on tapering plans. Thanks in advance.

Just google opiads withdrawal and different sites will come up.

Thanks, Theresa! I have read done what you suggested, but their isn't a support group similar to this. I suppose it is expected as benzos are long drawn out affairs in comparison to opiates. Unlike previous, I really don't want benzos -- I take it to feel "normal" now.

Thanks, Theresa! I have read done what you suggested, but their isn't a support group similar to this. I suppose it is expected as benzos are long drawn out affairs in comparison to opiates. Unlike previous, I really don't want benzos -- I take it to feel "normal" now.

The one that pops up is opiatewithdrawal.org, try that one.

Hi Theresa and eijay!

I have heard of both sites. Theresa, the one you mention is a sister site of the benzowithdrawal.com run buy SUE. There are hardly any members there, but it does have the format of this forum. I haven't checked in one year and maybe it's increased. Eijay, I have received most my info from the link you provided. It's not exactly as structured as this, but maybe I'll give it a second look and begin posting there. The Ultram has been the one where its much more psychologically addictive, albeit the opiate physical withdrawal is laughable compared with benzodiazepines IMO. I appreciate the information.

Peth -

Do you have any specific questions about withdrawing from opiates? 

I was on fentanyl for many years, along with Norco, Vicodin, Oxycontin, etc.  I stopped them all for Christmas last year.  I agree that getting off the benzo's is much worse than getting off opiates, but neither is a fun experience.

BlueRidgeBubbles :

Wow! Those are some very hard opiates with much shorter half-life. I've tried everything you mention except the opioid Fentanyl, but heard those are super potent. I had trouble with Norco many years ago taking 10-12 pills daily for 6 moths, but never was as addicted as I am to Tramadol. I got lucky and quit cold turkey when I ran out with no symptoms except missing it. With the Ultram, I have morning sickness only which isn't too bad. If I go CT, it might be a very different story.

The thing about trams is they are misunderstood. They have a longer half-life and you must contend with depression since it works on serotonin and norepinephrine. I pretty much need support when it comes to the thoughts (i.e. cravings). I have been taking Ultram for just over two years daily without pain. Now, I have pain even if I cut. I take 5-HTP and on occasion Kratom (not really anymore) to alleviate the symptoms. Once in a while, I do take Bayer and Ibuprofen for headaches and joint pain, respectively. For the record, Tramadol is an opioid, but it is bizarre because it is like an antidepressant in one. Kicking opiates *when very dedicated* can take 5-7 days. The Ultrams, due to its half-life and work on other neurotransmitters take longer. Some walk away and think this drug is not addictive in comparison to (Vicoden, OxyContin, etc.). Other claim that it's even more addictive. It's really depends on the chemistry of your mind.

On the bright side, I've been doing great. Sometimes I crave the cozy feeling and I just need to correspond with someone who understands. It is different game that benzo play on the psyche. In addiction, I have snippets of depression which is definitely the Tramadol, not the Valium. Yup, kicking anything is NOT fun.

Let me know if you have any information. I'm glad you got a nice Christmas present.

Theresa : WOW! opiatewithdrawal.org grew so much in one year! I will give that a shot along with this forum. Good to know.

Theresa : WOW! opiatewithdrawal.org grew so much in one year! I will give that a shot along with this forum. Good to know.

:yippee: :yippee: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Peth.  Fentanyl is supposed to be something like 80 stronger than morphine and 50+ times stronger than heroin.  One patch is supposed to last for three days, but many people end up using one every two days, like myself.  The patches do not evenly administer the dose, in my opinion, and if you get too heated the medication leaks out more rapidly.  Which, I presume, is one of the reasons so many people have accidentally died from fentanyl overdose, along with other poor product dosing control by design.

I really can not imagine how you took 10-12  of 10mg oxycodone (Norco) a day for six months and did not become addicted, tolerant or dependent.  Did you take another opiate in its place when you stopped the Norco?

I hear what you are saying about the depression from taking Tramadol.  It seems like a sinister combination of drugs - opiates which rob you of natural depression fighting dopamine and an SNRI a/d that further skews your natural neurotransmitter balance.  It must feel like quitting opiates and Effexor or Cymbalta at the same time.

I definitely had to contend with depression when I was cutting and stopped the fentanyl.  I had no clue what was hitting me.  No one told me a thing!  That was last summer when I started cutting it - it was wicked. Since I didn't know better, I started tapering the klonopin by 50% at a time every several days, c/t'd trazodone and took provera all in the same week!  I will never forget that week!  I thought the doctors were right, that I was psychotic, but I was too stubborn to admit it because they had told me other lies, which I knew were lies.  The whole thing was outrageous!  

I'm so glad my stubborn will kept me from going back to those doctors, else I'd have never escaped the whole 'mental health' prison.  I found one doctor that agreed to help me get off those drugs and will stick with him!  I am very grateful some doctors have the integrity to admit when a medication(s) that has been given to a patient is detrimental to their health.

Like benzo's there is a two-stage w/d to quitting opiates.  There is the initial expected w/d in the first days or two weeks of quitting, and there is the secondary, protracted withdrawal which lasts much longer.  Some people say it can take the body up to a year or more to restore dopamine levels/balance.  

Dopamine is the chemical that is affected in Parkinson's disease.  Understanding that helps me see why I am having so many intense muscle seizing/cramping and pain. I think we are getting the bonus whopping from taking both opiates and benzo's.  Oh well, it keeps life interesting.

The chemistry is not just in ones mind/brain.  The neurotransmitters that these drugs effect are throughout the body, hence the muscle involvement.  I think most benzo users can attest to GI and stomach problems during w/d.  

I am very glad to hear you are doing well.  I can't relate to the cozy feeling you describe.  The opiates at first helped with muscle cramping, but at some point they took over and induced the cramping when I became tolerant and experienced inter-dose withdrawal.  I didn't know what was happening at the time, and the doctors thought it and other symptoms from other meds were all part of disease progression.  Poooey!

I had to laugh when you said you were glad I got a nice Christmas present.  That was my exact thoughts when I chose to quit for Christmas.  Although, I stuck with my plan, it was not a pleasant holiday time.  I spent Christmas on the floor waiting for the Dameon child to explode from my stomach!  By New Years Eve, I was hoping I would not create too much of a mess for my friend to clean up when my body simultaneously combusts.  It was that bad.  I guess that is what you call Tough Love!

Getting off those drugs, all of them, was the best thing I ever did for myself.  I feel like I was a chemically tortured prisoner of war that has just been released.  

Bubbles,

I greatly admire your strength and will to live.  I'm so grateful for you, thank you for sharing this. 

Pam

Thank you Pam.  You have been a great inspiration to me also.  You are like a 'mother' to people here, very sweet and accepting.  It creates a good balance.  Thanks for being here and being you.  :smitten:

Bubbles,

You definitely know your stuff and have a plethora of info to share. I appreciate that and I hope you don't mind from time to time if I ask you some advice on the SNRI. You are right on in predicting that its like kicking a mild painkiller and an antidepressant.

Norco has (Hydrocodone) and I definitely was mentally addicted and became tolerant to the 10 mg tablets too quickly. It sucks because it was a clandestine way to get these (in my early college years), and they cost a fortune for a single pill. That could have been my reason for stopping -- the money I wasted. I didn't stop CT from 10 pills one day to 0 pills the next. I probably would have been very sick. Instead, I did some math and divided each day by 50% until 0. I achieved this quite easily with only a nostalgic feeling and no physical discomfort. The Tramadol is more severe because I've been taking it longer. Furthermore, I notice that I have never had a bad feeling on it. Many times I've tried Oxycodone or Vicodin and noticed even with a couple pills, I was extremely nauseous where in the previous day I took more and felt opposite of bad. So the effect were not monotonic. Tramadol doesn't have the euphoria that floors you, but it does make you feel confident, productive, and cozy. Many claim they get sick will only a few pills. I guess it's all brain chemistry. My friend told me about the patch that is more potent than morphine. I have tried hydromorphone (Dilaudid) and morphine sulfate, and I hate them so much.  :sick:  At least when taking them orally, I just felt very nauseous, or at the very least too zombified to critique.

Anyway, I am glad that you survived Christmas, albeit it was hard on you, it was well worth it to put yourself in great position for your new year's resolution. The key for me will be to take advantage of the summer and take my time cutting. Hopefully the 5-HTP will help balance out any protracted withdrawal from the trams. We both know that the benzo are less desired (craved), but are far worse to kick because they are long drawn out affairs. Again, I appreciate your wits on painkillers and it'll help me from time to time.  :thumbsup:

Best,

Peth

Bubbles,

Thus far, I am cutting Tramadol in the following way :

100 mg (5 days) --> 75 mg (5 days; current) --> 62.5 mg (5 days) ---> 50 mg (5 days) --> 37.5 mg (5 days) --> 25 mg (5 days) ... all the way to 0 mg. Thus far, I have been doing well. There are mental cravings as well as profound morning sickness (soreness and weakness) that subsides within an hour of taking the medicine. I always take the Tramadol in the morning. I also supplement with 5-HTP 100 mg twice a day for serotonin balance.

Let me know if it is a reasonable plan or if there are any red flags I should acknowledge.

Thanks,

Peth