Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Micro tapering with Jewelers scales

[et...]

Etown, I know you mention that tapering from Klonopin is good if you do a crossover to Valium.  What if I can't find a doc that prescribes Valium.

If I want to taper 1.5 mg of K per day in 120 days or less, what would your suggested taper be?  I suck at math and know that you are good at it, so if you have any suggestions or thoughts, I would truly appreciate them since I start my official retaper tomorrow and want to do it right with as least symptoms as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Much appreciated!! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [et...]

• [bu...]

• [dp...]

• [GA...]

Thanks again for this thread Etown.

Simply can't handle the cut and holds... and need to start daily tapering after holding my dose for a while.

My doctor wrote a prescription for 2mg pills (booyah!), and I'm going to start by tapering as slow as I can go and then working my way up.

I'm at 12.75 right now, and it'd be much easier to start from 12mg :/, so I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do at the moment... I have about a months worth of 5mg pills left, and for the life of me my brain fog is so bad I can't think straight as to how I'm going to cross over. I may just go ahead and make a 6% cut off the bat in a month... get down to 12mg... wait another month, and then start the daily taper.. we'll see.

Thanks again for this thread.

I want to start daily tapering when I get down to 8 milligrams or 5 if im going ok.

I would like to drop 2 mills in 120 days on the micro.

But im still unsure how to go about it? :idiot:

Im afraid I haven't got any scales yet,etown.

Im just unsure how to reduce it daily.

For example, Once I have determined the amount I want to reduce do I reduce like this?.

X=amount.

Day 1 x

Day 2 XX

Day 3XXX

Day 4 XXXX

And so on?

Thanks ,Small

Once you get the scales it will be easy peezy. My 2mg tab weighs .160mg average. If I want to lose 2mg in 120 days or 1mg per month I divide .160 divided by 120 days equals .0013mg per day or .013grams. So .160-.0013=.159-.0013=.157 and so on to 0.

etown

How has this treated you in comparison to cut and hold, etown? Much easier I assume?

Because I simply can't deal with cut and hold anymore... Sept 1st when insurance kicks in, the daily taper starts.

PS: I was thinking of starting at .002g per day... which if the 2mg pill weighs .160g, will be 80 days for 2mg... sound ok for someone who's had trouble tapering cut/hold?

87 - What an awesome question! The short version is.....I started with cut and hold. Like you I seemed to run out of luck going that way. Then, I got the scales and worked out my daily taper schedule. I cut at .013mg/day for 4mg successfully and then hit a wall around 8mg. Now I am back to cut and hold and doing well this way for now. Your question shows how fluid we have to be when tapering. WHEN X DOESN'T WORK TRY Y!. This thinking is exactly what has moved me along all the way. No method is "better" than another necessarily, it comes down to what works for you in real time and why. I have my scales and taper schedule right beside me as I type this and I'm ready to go back to daily if Y doesn't work anymore. I am glad this thread has rejuvenated as the scale method is very easy and accurate whether you do cut and hold or daily IMO. I love the fact that I can weigh out 2 weeks of doses and store them in a pill box and just take my daily dose without focusing on it every day. I think the less we think about tapering and dosing the better off we will be.

etown

Thank you very much Etown for answering my question :)

I can't wait to start after I stabilize... I need to seriously get back to not feeling like I'm dying.. lol.

Can I ask what scale you recommend?

I have one, but it was on the cheaper side. Probably could get the job done, but I want the best accuracy... especially when I have 2 more drugs I'll have to micro taper after this.

Gemini Pro 20. I bought 2 just in case. you are right this becomes a marathon sometimes. Especially will daily tapering you don't want your scale to crap out on you. lol

Keep in touch and let me know how things go.

etown

Once you get the scales it will be easy peezy. My 2mg tab weighs .160mg average. If I want to lose 2mg in 120 days or 1mg per month I divide .160 divided by 120 days equals .0013mg per day or .013grams. So .160-.0013=.159-.0013=.157 and so on to 0.

etown

Thanks etown,So basicly you just minus .0013 every day down to zero.

So you have gone back to a cut and hold? why did you do that if I my ask?

Small

Hi Small - I kinda got stuck at 8.3mg so had to just cut and it worked out. So....when X doesn't work try Y. This time Y worked out for me. Still using the scale successfully though. I'll ride this down as long as I can and go back to X if and when I have to. Keep all the options on the table.

etown

• 1 month later...
Im still having trouble understanding the numbers..it looks as if you reduced 1 mg a month? I did total 10 pills I believe the evrage was 170 Ill do it again today..did you do 1 dose at a time? I take 3 ...or did you tell me to do all 3 at the same time? Sorry so confused in this state right now...002 seems like nothing compared to what you reduced...HELP..........why dont you post anymore Ernie? You seem so sensible. ? Moreso than most Ive met.Some folks are so cold.I guess its wd.flower

Dose as often as you feel necessary. This is YOUR taper. I make suggestions, you make decisions. I take 2 does per day and I am cutting all off the morning dose. The long half life of Valium covers the interdose issues. I will eventually get to 4mg all at night. Some people take their cuts evenly off each dose and that is ok too.

etown

Im still having trouble understanding the numbers..it looks as if you reduced 1 mg a month? I did total 10 pills I believe the evrage was 170 Ill do it again today..did you do 1 dose at a time? I take 3 ...or did you tell me to do all 3 at the same time? Sorry so confused in this state right now...002 seems like nothing compared to what you reduced...HELP..........why dont you post anymore Ernie? You seem so sensible. ? Moreso than most Ive met.Some folks are so cold.I guess its wd.flower

If you're referring to how I cut... I haven't begun micro tapering yet... I'm doing a good 1-2 month hold AT LEAST to stabilize my body before I start the micro taper....

... doing the cut and hold has been too harsh on my body, and I need to go to something more tolerable.

...and keep in mind, the .002g you are cutting daily is the WEIGHT of the pill, not the mg of Valium in it.. So basically, your pills weight around .170g each.... you divide that by .002 and you get 85... so it'd take 85 cuts or 85 days for you to cut that 2mg pill to nothing... That's a sensible pace I think.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Okay etown we will keep this public....itake 12mgs daily and want to reduce one doseat a time starting with the 2pm dose, this is the one that causes me the least trouble..do I weigh the pill each day and reduce so much from the weight of the pill..my pills weigh 170,172, some are 168...so none are the same..I see you made a plan to reduce a 2mg in 120 days..4 months is a long time to mess around with 2mgs...especially if I stay sick..Ive been asked to reduce .25 to see how I react..is this a good idea.I have a little time yet to figurethis out..but time is getting close I can tell...I need a little more time to feel better....thanks alot etown....I know im a pain in the butt but the fear is driving me crazy, just like each of the 6 times I reduced k to get onto v.....I was so afraid..flower

Get an average weight of say 10 or 20 pills and let me know the average weight.

Fear is something we all need to conquer or this taper will eat you up.

etown

etown

Dear E:

Are you shaving, cutting and crumbling, or grinding when you weigh? Yesterday, using a horizon .000 gram scale, I tried to grind a pill with a meat hammer (flat side) on a piece of paper. When I returned the contents to the scale, its weight had gone from .169 mg to something like .150. I am wondering if there was some dust absorption into the paper or if the powder simply doesn't weigh the same as the solid (which obviously shouldn't be the case but might be). I guess I am wondering--and not sure if the valium is a coated tablet--but my clonazepam's seem to be hard-pressed maybe with an enteric coating so if I were to use a razor and manage to shave just 1%, even, would I be shaving an even amount of the drug or just be getting coating off of it?

Your thoughts?

I really really really would love to hear your opinion on this also etown... is equal drug distribution throughout the pill something we need to worry about or no?

etown

Dear E:

Are you shaving, cutting and crumbling, or grinding when you weigh? Yesterday, using a horizon .000 gram scale, I tried to grind a pill with a meat hammer (flat side) on a piece of paper. When I returned the contents to the scale, its weight had gone from .169 mg to something like .150. I am wondering if there was some dust absorption into the paper or if the powder simply doesn't weigh the same as the solid (which obviously shouldn't be the case but might be). I guess I am wondering--and not sure if the valium is a coated tablet--but my clonazepam's seem to be hard-pressed maybe with an enteric coating so if I were to use a razor and manage to shave just 1%, even, would I be shaving an even amount of the drug or just be getting coating off of it?

Your thoughts?

I am filing when I weigh. I am not concerned with the dispersal of the medicine within the pill. I am currently doing cut and hold so I just make sure I weigh accurately. I have filed around the pill instead of off one side and do not see the difference. If you do a daily taper I would file around the pill each day instead of off one side. If you have read my first post I reduce by weight and not by %. The long half life of Valium and the semi long half life of Clonazepam will look after little mistakes.

sound good?

etown

etown

Dear E:

Your thoughts?

I am filing when I weigh. I am not concerned with the dispersal of the medicine within the pill. I am currently doing cut and hold so I just make sure I weigh accurately. I have filed around the pill instead of off one side and do not see the difference. If you do a daily taper I would file around the pill each day instead of off one side. If you have read my first post I reduce by weight and not by %. The long half life of Valium and the semi long half life of Clonazepam will look after little mistakes.

sound good?

etown

Thank you E