Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Micro tapering with Jewelers scales

[et...]

So how does a daily dry cut taper work?

Do you deduct the same amount each day,I don't get it???

Or do you say for example deduct 00.1 one day then 00.1 x 2 the next day and so on?

Easy step by step instructions would be nice for future reference just in case.

I must add im doing ok on the cut and hold and may be fine its just that now ive been given a longer time scale, I could if it gets hard change my plan.

Im terrible at maths and spreadsheets

Thanks in advance,Small.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [et...]

• [bu...]

• [dp...]

• [GA...]

No rush etown.

I would like to go with the 2 mill every 4 months when I get low.

Thanks in advance.

Small.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Etown and all. I want to start ensuring I am making a 10% cut and want to use the gemini scale for my .5 K pills.

Will the 20 dollar Gemini scale that reads out to .001 mg work? I cant see why it wouldnt, the pills have to way more than .001 lol.

Im at .3125 so my next cut would be .312 -.0312 = .281. Correct Etown? I dont see a problem with excluding the 4th decimal.

Am I in error? Please advise if you can I appreciate it as I am ready for my next cut. Thanks so much!

Hi Etown and all. I want to start ensuring I am making a 10% cut and want to use the gemini scale for my .5 K pills.

Will the 20 dollar Gemini scale that reads out to .001 mg work? I cant see why it wouldnt, the pills have to way more than .001 lol.

Im at .3125 so my next cut would be .312 -.0312 = .281. Correct Etown? I dont see a problem with excluding the 4th decimal.

Am I in error? Please advise if you can I appreciate it as I am ready for my next cut. Thanks so much!

Groove should be fine until you get to lower doses

Etown

Thanks, I also understand now I need to formulate the reduction from the weight of the pill not the amount of med in it....duh.

I just dont know how I can do that when im currently at 1/2 a pill plus a 1/4 of a pill. Ill figure it out once my cog fog clearn for a moment and i can think.

I was on K too. If you could cross over to Value and use 2 my tabs you can accurately taper all the way down to 13mg of Value with relative ease

Etown

Tnx again Etown. I have some concerns about a c/o, Ive been told by more than one person that the V may make my depression worse. Of course I dont know this for sure cuz I havent done it but  a c/o was a disaster for a friend of mine. I suffer terribly from depression and am pretty much non functional due to it.

I wish I knew if it would be a good move or a bad move, but Im scared and very timid to do it.

I can only hope that once I jump and get this K out of my system my depression might lift a bit, i suffered from it pre K, but nothing like I do now, Im assuming and again hoping it got worse when I hit tolerance.

I did order the gemini so Ill give it a wing.

I used the Gemini  scale and tapered down to the end at a reduction of 6% every two weeks. With that scale you can taper down to a crumb very smoothly. There was no trouble for me at the end at all.

Thanks, I also understand now I need to formulate the reduction from the weight of the pill not the amount of med in it....duh.

I just dont know how I can do that when im currently at 1/2 a pill plus a 1/4 of a pill. Ill figure it out once my cog fog clearn for a moment and i can think.

You weigh both the 1/2 and the 1/4 together. Then just shave off the amount you need to from one of them (probably the 1/2).

I used the Gemini  scale and tapered down to the end at a reduction of 6% every two weeks. With that scale you can taper down to a crumb very smoothly. There was no trouble for me at the end at all.

You weigh both the 1/2 and the 1/4 together. Then just shave one off the amount you need to from one of them (probably the 1/2).

I'm using a Gemini scale to taper off citalopram.  I'm going down very slowly, am currently at <20mgs, and I simply use an emery board to sand the edges off 1/2 of a 40mg pill.  I don't keep the left-over powder.

Tnx again Etown. I have some concerns about a c/o, Ive been told by more than one person that the V may make my depression worse. Of course I dont know this for sure cuz I havent done it but  a c/o was a disaster for a friend of mine. I suffer terribly from depression and am pretty much non functional due to it.

I wish I knew if it would be a good move or a bad move, but Im scared and very timid to do it.

I can only hope that once I jump and get this K out of my system my depression might lift a bit, i suffered from it pre K, but nothing like I do now, Im assuming and again hoping it got worse when I hit tolerance.

I did order the gemini so Ill give it a wing.

If you need help or have any more questions re the c/o let me know I was on the K too.

Always here to help groove.

etown

• 2 weeks later...
heya Etown, first of all, congrats on your successful taper! way to go....i am going the same route with the Pro Horizon but i have a question. i have no other choice but to use 10 mg. V pills. right now i'm at about 14.9 ish mgs. a day. my question is,,,when i get to about 2 mgs. a day, should i start adding a complete 10 mg. pill to the scale bowl just for weight purposes? and then subtract that weight from the total weight for my actual dose weight? my thinking is the heavier scale weight will be more accurate than just the sliver weight of my actual dose. what do you think?  thanks a lot and again, congratulations...

Junkie - it looks like this is working for you. Good on ya! It also looks like you have a good plan. I agree that using the whole 10mg tab would be a wise idea as the scale will undoubtedly be more accurate at higher weights. Too bad you can't get the 2mg tabs. It is much easier. Especially if you hit a snag and have to adjust your taper in some way. If you can keep asking for the 2's then keep asking. It may get a little more difficult below 5mg or so. Then again, maybe not.

etown

heya Etown, thanks much for your prompt answer. i'll try and get the 2 mg. V's. reassuring to hear you agree with my idea. thanks again and continued success.....

• 1 month later...

Have you noticed that pills (in my case, 5mg pills) can weigh differently bottle to bottle? Or even within the bottle?

I've had to measure each 5mg pill I'm cutting and cut off the right mg amount...

What I was doing before had 15mg=.450g, and then the next bottle it was 15mg=.472g.... when taking that into account and just cutting down to .440... I was going up and down and all over the place... with daily weights off by as much as .6g... oye vey.

I took an average weight of 20 pills and use that. I use 2mg pills so they are a bit more forgiving. They do fluctuate though. I use the average weight and let half life look after the rest.

Thanks for stopping by D.

etown

e-town and dpier: I also noticed more of fluctuation in my tablets with this latest bottle I picked up : weight range from .043to .050. ( 0.5 mg tabs of Ativan).  I'm guessing this is because the fillers in the tabs vary since if I weigh the same tab several times I get a pretty consistant weight, so I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the scale. So with this range in tablet weights from bottle to bottle should I still just take the average weight of the pills e-town? My last bottle wasn't as inconsistant ( average weight of .048. So If my first cut will be based on average weight of pills that were this weight , what do I do if the next bottle I pick up is a different average weight. I'm confused re: how to make a consistant plan with this variability. Thanks

Judy - if you always use the average weight in each bottle you will be ok. Keep your meds in a cool dry place as they take on moisture when it is humid. It is a little harder with ativan but you should be able to weigh them until your dose gets way down.

etown

What I do is just cut off one of my 5mg tabs... say it weighs .150g for one container... then .030=1mg for that container.

..because of the variance... I measure each 5mg tab I cut off, figure the mg per weight, and cut to how many mg's I'm currently on, which will be 14 tomorrow.

Hi,

anybody get different weights for the same identical pill with a scale? My scale is Horizon brand.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Iggy

I have the Gemini pro 20. I do get variations as stated in the opening post but only from .158-.162 mg. I go with the average of .160mg.

etown