Important Survey - Please Participate ×

anyone on paxil?

[7s...]

are any of you on paxil? i've been on it almost 5 years and am thinking of tapering once i'm completely healed from the benzos (i'm thinking it might have to wait a year or 2). anyway, i hear going off paxil is total hell, anyone have experience with it? my dose is 60mg daily and it's the only med i took along with my benzo.

I was taking paxil 20mg for a few months and I did not like the way it made me feel.  I actually cold turkeyed the paxil and it was probably the worst experience of my life.  If you do decide to come off of paxil, my advice would be to taper slowly under the direction of your doctor.  I went through SSRI discontinuation syndrome.  The odd thing is, some doctors will tell you it does not exist, but I can tell you firsthand, it is a very scary experience.

T

i

m

tc - oh yeah when i go off paxil i wont have a time limit. it will be a VERY slow taper...i've had little 'previews' of paxil withdrawal just from forgetting to take it for a few days. it's total hell.

Yes yes...slow and steady on the paxil taper.

I learned the hard way.  Hopefully, when you decide to come off the Paxil you will be able to work closely with a good doc that can help taper you properly.  I have found that some docs have no idea about tapering these meds and some actually deny that ssri discontinuation syndrome exists.

Tim

• 2 months later...

17, I was on Paxil about 8 years ago for about 3 years, weird stuff but it did help with the problems I was having at the time. When I decided to get off it wasn't bad at all. I did a very slow taper, dry cutting the pills all the way, I think it took me like 9 months and I can't remember my dosage but it wasn't bad at all, never had any problems what so ever. I wish that the benzo withdraw was as easy.

You'll do fine,

Jim