Australian TGA win over Xanax

[1b...]

I'm in the US, so I am simply "observing." But once again, I wonder at the motivation of people who would post just enough info to provoke curiosity and outright fear in other members.

And after succeeding at this, then proclaim that they are delicate because of being in recovery and others are "mean."

Actually, anyone in withdrawl whether doing so by CT, detox, or slow taper is in recovery of some stage.

And yes, the secretive way you have "shared" bits of info is upsetting to people on these drugs. Contrary to what you posted in the beginning of this thread, this is not an anti-benzo forum. And many are on these drugs simply to taper off of them as there is no safer way to do this for most.

Perhaps this thread and the manner in which you have presented it is "mean" also, and gives you some sense of self importance at the expense of others who are still wondering what this all means for them and when those "press releases" will finally come out.

Intend

Well said Intend  :thumbsup:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Di...]

• [Zz...]

• [In...]

• [...]

Thank you for your insightful observer's opinion, Intend. Much appreciated from me (and others, I'm sure).

There are many, many press releases to be found - some from during the period leading up to this change in scheduling and also from when the decision was made a few months ago. It just didn't get any media attention - well, I didn't see or hear anything and I watch and read lots of news and reputable current affairs programs. Some of the better links need you to be a registered doctor to access them, though. (Yes, I was going to lie but they need a provider number.)

We were caught up in a sudden change of prime ministers just before the federal election at that time so I guess we were pretty swamped with publicity about that. And then there was the actual run up to the election. For the first time ever I was leaving the ABC 24 hr news station running all day on many days so I wouldn't miss anything. I guess this drug rescheduling was not high on the newsworthy list at that time.

When I read of it on this thread it was the first time I had heard of it. My ex psych (who says he is happy to have me back any time) actually wrote out a prescription for Xanax with 4 repeats just before this change was announced. My husband picked it up for me and he called him in for a chat to see how I was going. He has faith that I will one day be able to withdraw from Xanax. He is someone who keeps up to date on all things medical and he didn't mention it. Looking back, that surprises me.

I am about to get ready to take my Mum to the doctor but when I get a chance I will try to find a simple explanation of what Schedule 8 actually means here in Oz. I will post it. It seems they were considering targeting all benzos but that was going to be too difficult.

I think Xanax is the one that gets abused on the street the most and that seems to be the reasoning for singling it out.

Well,

It is concerning news for everyone if a doctor does decide a benzo is needed.

And since so many doctors don't seem to recognize withdrawl as being much of a problem, to ban them w/o structuring a decent, flexible, and individualized withdrawl program is really kind of insanity.

It's not only unfair, it's crazy to think of thousands of people just being put in detox because of lack of recognition of the syndrome which does exist, and for which the extent is not even truly known.

But maybe the Australian doctors see things differently "recognition wise" than US doctors.

I will be interested to read how this new law does impact Australia when you have the chance to post it.

Intend

Just a quick one - now I won't get the stale washing hung out! ::)

Australian Drug Scheduling

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showwiki.php?title=Australian_Drug_Scheduling

Here is a description of the type of drugs covered by Schedule 8:

Schedule 8 - Controlled Drugs 

Schedule 8 is for any substance that is considered addictive or that has the potential for abuse. Doctors must have a schedule 8 permit in order to prescribe these medications. It is also illegal to be in possession of these drugs if you are not the person who has been prescribed the drug. It may be necessary to show identification if these drugs are being transported. Examples of these drugs would be amphetamines, most barbiturates, cocaine, codeine as a single ingredient, fentanyl, methadone, morphine and oxycodone. As with schedule 4, many medical centres will display signs indicating that certain schedule 8 drugs will not be prescribed. Particular drugs that will often not be prescribed are endone (immediate release oxycodone), oxycontin and morphine sulfate as an oral preparation. Often certain medical clinics will not have doctors with a schedule 8 permit, which makes the prescribing of these drugs illegal. 

Interestingly, cocaine is classified as a schedule 8 drug because of it's use in certain veterinary and pharmaceutical preparations. However it is illegal in any other circumstance and is generally considered as an outlawed drug.

Read more: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showwiki.php?title=Australian_Drug_Scheduling#ixzz2iPBztZZ2

These are the drugs currently on the Schedule 8 list:

Schedule 8 

ACETYLDIHYDROCODEINE.

ACETYLMETHADOL.

ACETYLMORPHINES.

ALFENTANIL.

ALPHACETYLMETHADOL.

ALPHAPRODINE.

AMPHETAMINE.

AMYLOBARBITONE except when included in Schedule 4. ANILERIDINE.

BENZYLMORPHINE. BEZITRAMIDE. BUPRENORPHINE. BUTOBARBITONE. BUTORPHANOL. CARFENTANYL. COCAINE.

CODEINE except when included in Schedule 2, 3 or 4.

CODEINE-N-OXIDE.

CONCENTRATE OF POPPY STRAW (the material arising when poppy straw has entered into a process for concentration of its alkaloids).

4-CYANO-1-METHYL-4-PHENYLPIPERIDINE (Pethidine intermediate A). CYCLOBARBITONE.

DEXAMPHETAMINE.

DEXTROMORAMIDE.

DEXTROPROPOXYPHENE except when included in Schedule 4.

DIFENOXIN except when included in Schedule 4. DIHYDROCODEINE except when included in

DIPHENOXYLATE except when included in Schedule 3 or 4.

DIPIPANONE.

# DRONABINOL (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol) when prepared and packed for therapeutic use. DROTEBANOL.

ETHYLAMPHETAMINE.

ETHYLMORPHINE except when included in Schedule 2 or 4.

FENTANYL.

FLUNITRAZEPAM.

HYDROCODONE.

HYDROMORPHINOL.

HYDROMORPHONE.

KETAMINE.

LEVAMPHETAMINE.

LEVOMETHAMPHETAMINE.

LEVOMORAMIDE.

LEVORPHANOL (excluding its stereoisomers).

METHADONE.

METHYLAMPHETAMINE.

METHYLDIHYDROMORPHINE.

METHYLPHENIDATE.

1-METHYL-4-PHENYLPIPERIDINE-4-CARBOXYLIC ACID (Pethidine intermediate C). MORPHINE.

MORPHINE METHOBROMIDE.

MORPHINE-N-OXIDE.

NABILONE.

NABIXIMOLS (botanical extract of Cannabis sativa which includes the following cannabinoids: tetrahydrocannabinol, cannabidiol, cannabinol, cannabigerol, cannabichromene, cannabidiolic acid, tetrahydrocannabinolic acid, tetrahydrocannabivarol, and cannabidivarol, where tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol (in approximately equal proportions) comprise not less than 90 per cent of the total cannabinoid content) in a buccal spray for human therapeutic use.

OPIUM except the alkaloids noscapine in Schedule 2 and papaverine when included in Schedule 2 or 4. OXYCODONE.

OXYMORPHONE.

PENTAZOCINE.

PENTOBARBITONE except when included in Schedule 4. PETHIDINE.

PHENDIMETRAZINE.

PHENMETRAZINE.

PHENOPERIDINE.

4-PHENYLPIPERIDINE-4-CARBOXYLIC ACID ETHYL ESTER (Pethidine intermediate B). PHOLCODINE except when included in Schedule 2 or 4.

PIRITRAMIDE.

PROPIRAM.

QUINALBARBITONE.

RACEMORAMIDE.

REMIFENTANIL.

SECBUTOBARBITONE.

SUFENTANIL.

TAPENTADOL.

THEBACON.

THEBAINE.

TILIDINE.

Xana,

Thanks for posting that. The schedule 8 meds there appear to be similar to the schedule 2 drugs here although I haven't looked at our schedules lately.

One must show ID here also for the benzos Rxed when being picked up, and in this state, I believe one can carry a pill ot two around if needed, but if an accident were to occur, a valid Rx must be presented, but maybe it's even just for having it on ones person.

It is also illegal to give a benzo to anyone else.

However, so far, any doctor can prescribe any benzo without having a "special designation" to do so, nor must a clinic have that designation.

I can see that there's a possibility that doctors getting this designation along with the clinics if that is included may require some certification to be Rxing these drugs. And I wonder if money for the certification is involved.

More will come out on this soon, I'm sure, and it will work out. And then, no more mysterious and upsetting postings from people purporting to help in some elusive and amorphous way that are really contradictory and confusing.

Intend

I'd like to take a minute to remind everyone on this thread that although lively debate is fine, all members are expected to treat each other with tact and respect.  This is from our Rules and Guidelines:

•Be polite towards, and respectful of, your fellow Buddies. We do not tolerate attacks upon fellow members. Any account created for the purposes of causing arguments and/or ill-feeling will be banned.

Thank you,

Megan

[1b...]

Gee Megan Im sorry for trying to help people on the ground here in Australia.  In future when I am given important information I wont share.

Can you remove the thread it seems to be upsetting to many people and I have been attacked.

It's true as of 1st December Pfizer is withdrawing Xanax from Australia.

There is a press release and further to that my pharmacist confirmed this. Apparently they were advised several weeks ago.  Now that they can't shift huge quantities on the streets here it's not profitable for the company to keep the drug here.

We better all move to the USA. Lol :D

R

Gee Megan Im sorry for trying to help people on the ground here in Australia.  In future when I am given important information I wont share.

Can you remove the thread it seems to be upsetting to many people and I have been attacked.

What sharing? We're still waiting for you to share your information with us. All you've done is post cryptic comments that are just enough to scare people.

And now you want a whole thread deleted simply because some people haven't agreed with you, and haven't given you the veneration you were expecting? That attitude sounds familiar. Been there before with you.

Instead of you talking about people attacking you, how about you apologise for all your derogatory comments to me? …… Guess that's probably too much to expect. I never got one after your last attack in August, so I guess I won't get one now.

It's true as of 1st December Pfizer is withdrawing Xanax from Australia.

There is a press release and further to that my pharmacist confirmed this. Apparently they were advised several weeks ago.  Now that they can't shift huge quantities on the streets here it's not profitable for the company to keep the drug here.

We better all move to the USA. Lol [img alt=:D]http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/Smileys/standard/cheesy.gif[/img]

R

Can you let us know where you saw that info, Ronnie? I guess we will be left with generics here. How did your visit with the doc go yesterday?

Are you feeling a bit better today?

I found a link.

http://www.shpa.org.au/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=SHPA/ccms.r?pageid=14

MANUFACTURERS' ALERTSThe following is information that SHPA has received from manufacturers of medicines, such as alerts regarding supply problems, discontinued items etc. that may be useful to SHPA members.

Xanax to be discontinued - 17 October 2013Pfizer has advised pharmacists in this letter that the Xanax brand of alprazolam tablets will be discontinued from 1 Decemebr 2013. The decision is a commercial one, generic brands of alprazolam will still be available

- See more at: http://www.shpa.org.au/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=SHPA/ccms.r?pageid=14#sthash.LALZkmhF.dpuf

What sharing? We're still waiting for you to share your information with us. All you've done is post cryptic comments that are just enough to scare people.

And now you want a whole thread deleted simply because some people haven't agreed with you, and haven't given you the veneration you were expecting? That attitude sounds familiar. Been there before with you.

Instead of you talking about people attacking you, how about you apologise for all your derogatory comments to me? …… Guess that's probably too much to expect. I never got one after your last attack in August, so I guess I won't get one now.

Hello Diaz-Pam, et al.  This is an interesting thread, but it is in danger of devolving into pointless bickering, which really needs to stop now. Please stay on subject and avoid personal references and jabs at each other.  I've already cited the rule regarding this.  We are all intelligent adults so let's "take the high road."

As for removing the thread, this is against our policy. Several people have participated in it already, and it would disturb the flow of the forum if it were removed.

:thumbsup:

Megan

To refocus, Xanax has been moved to a more restrictive schedule in Australia. Pfizer has withdrawn the off-patent drug which is not unusual. Generics will still be available under the more restrictive schedule.

The move is equivalent to the FDA in the US moving Xanax from Schedule IV to Schedule II, which they have not done - I only wish they would. It would not make Xanax unavailable, but it would go a long way to keeping new users from ever being introduced initially.

I think that almost all of the benzos sold in the US are generics at this point.

And they're made by reputable "generic" drug companies who have actually become very large, and many are owned in part or whole by the "name brand" companies like Pfizer and Roche. Believe me, these generic versions work just as well as the original "name brand" version. In fact, I think that most of the people here in the US taking a benzo, whether they are trying to get off it or not, are taking a generic version.

The rescheduling of the drug Xanax is another matter. I am not totally familiar with the use and/or abuse of this drug in Australia, but it is true there is some abuse of it here in the US. It is, however, most often abused in conjunction with other drugs like methadone where in combination, the two drugs together give a "heroin like high." This was shown in a documentary on heroin addicts on HBO about 5 years ago. And again, the abuse and deaths we have read about "celebrity wise" have shown that Xanax was in the systems of these people along with combinations of alcohol, opiates, and large quantities of OTC cold medicine in some cases.

The vast majority of benzo users tend to use the drugs as Rxed by their doctor.  These  users can become dependent on these drugs, but this is not addiction as dependence affects mainly the GABA/glutamate system of the brain while the schedule I and II drugs affect different parts of the brain-the reward/pleasure centers. Most benzo users do not crave or desire the drug; they depend on it for normal, daily functioning and achieve no "high" from taking it.

If benzos were to become a schedule II drug, a large educational program would need to be undertaken to teach US doctors of the benzo withdrawl syndrome that many people experience, and which many doctors deny, and appropriate withdrawl programs would need to be undertaken. Otherwise, those already dependent on benzos would be subjected to the schedule I and schedule II detox programs as they sometimes already are with questionable results.

It remains to be seen how the rescheduling of Xanax in Australia will fare under their new guidelines. Perhaps their government officials and doctors have already figured out a course of action addressing this issue. And it's also possible that they have not.

Intend

Thanks Intend!

I am not totally familiar with the use and/or abuse of this drug in Australia, but it is true there is some abuse of it here in the US. It is, however, most often abused in conjunction with other drugs like methadone where in combination, the two drugs together give a "heroin like high." This was shown in a documentary on heroin addicts on HBO about 5 years ago. And again, the abuse and deaths we have read about "celebrity wise" have shown that Xanax was in the systems of these people along with combinations of alcohol, opiates, and large quantities of OTC cold medicine in some cases.

There have been a couple of scare mongering TV  programs and articles in trash media which have sensationalised the dangers of Xanax (and my pysch at the time agreed they were rubbish) but have neglected to mention these very pertinent points that you have made: that the danger lies mostly in the MISuse of the drug, usually in combination with other substances, both legal and illegal.

The vast majority of benzo users tend to use the drugs as Rxed by their doctor.  These  users can become dependent on these drugs, but this is not addiction as dependence affects mainly the GABA/glutamate system of the brain while the schedule I and II drugs affect different parts of the brain-the reward/pleasure centers. Most benzo users do not crave or desire the drug; they depend on it for normal, daily functioning and achieve no "high" from taking it.

So true! Who amongst us wants to get that nasty feeling of their body wanting its next dose? I hate it. I don't like being pushed around by anyone or anything. I certainly hate the feeling of a drug pushing me around, exerting its nasty interdose withdrawal symptoms every few hours just so I feel normal and able to function. No 'high' happening for me, that's for sure.

It remains to be seen how the rescheduling of Xanax in Australia will fare under their new guidelines. Perhaps their government officials and doctors have already figured out a course of action addressing this issue. And it's also possible that they have not.

I very much doubt much planning has occurred. The situation has been complicated by the fact that the government which passed these new regulations is no longer governing.

I know we can't discuss politics here but I can say that for the last 18 months we have had an extremely right wing State Govt where I live, which is destroying all the work of previous governments and tireless volunteers who fought long and hard to have some environmental protection in place.

Every day I live in fear as to what else is going to be destroyed. And these are big issues eg koala extinction, mining unique sand islands etc.

We now have the same type of Federal Government as well. So we have new people in charge of departments.

I just had an idea. I will write to the new Federal Health Minister and ask him what he has planned. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he doesn't even know about this. As I said before, I am an avid news and current affairs watcher and also very active in promoting various issues on facebook so I was very surprised that I hadn't seen anything about these rescheduling issues.

These are sad and worrying times not just for me with my minor drug worries, but for the animals and people in need in the whole country.

Xana

Xana

My reply to your post just disappeared.  I see you found the link.

This is the article I found this morning

http://www.6minutes.com.au/news/latest-news/time-to-say-goodbye-to-xanax

R

Just saw this, Ronnie! Thank you. Don't you get annoyed that these articles stop you reading when you get to the good bit, just because you are not a registered professional?  >:(

I always buy the 'real' medication, no matter what it is for but I guess I will have to get used to generics. I'll just check they are made somewhere reputable.

When I did the Valium taper, I was prescribed a generic diazepam, but when I realised you could get the name brand, I chose that. It was only slightly more expensive and I actually found it was much firmer and easier to cut without crumbling.

Have a good day.

Xana  :)

Xana

My reply to your post just disappeared.  I see you found the link.

This is the article I found this morning

http://www.6minutes.com.au/news/latest-news/time-to-say-goodbye-to-xanax

R

Just saw this, Ronnie! Thank you. Don't you get annoyed that these articles stop you reading when you get to the good bit, just because you are not a registered professional?  >:(

I always buy the 'real' medication, no matter what it is for but I guess I will have to get used to generics. I'll just check they are made somewhere reputable.

When I did the Valium taper, I was prescribed a generic diazepam, but when I realised you could get the name brand, I chose that. It was only slightly more expensive and I actually found it was much firmer and easier to cut without crumbling.

Have a good day.

Xana  :)

Yes they are the same, I prefer generic as you said with valium they are more firmer and easier to split in half (in the case of Xanax) it's just the binders that make the non generic more fragile. Nothing to worry about :)

• 3 months later...

http://theconversation.com/three-persistent-myths-about-heroin-use-and-overdose-deaths-22895?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=The+Weekend+Conversation&utm_content=The+Weekend+Conversation+CID_1be671f61dfdb3a78663713d500f9ac9&utm_source=campaign_monitor&utm_term=Three%20persistent%20myths%20about%20heroin%20use%20and%20overdose%20deaths

This is an interesting article I just read from a reputable daily comment site called 'The Conversation'. It is mostly about heroin use. However there is a mention about how deaths occur mostly because of a combination of drugs, including benzos. This was a big part of the reason why Xanax has been rescheduled. Well, that is what my GP told me. My own guess about why Xanax is chosen is that it is very fast acting.

(Can somebody change the spelling of 'Zanax' to 'Xanax'. It looks like  a different drug and also makes it more difficult when you do a search. It does not indicate a knowledgeable thread!  :-[)

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2013/198/4/recent-increase-detection-alprazolam-victorian-heroin-related-deaths

Another link to a recent article from the Medical Journal of Australia, looking at the growing trend of heroin users also using alprazolam (Xanax).

Not a good mix, it seems. Though from my reading there is no precise causal link, just a statistical correlation. But I do struggle reading articles designed for doctors as I am nowhere near as intelligent as they are!  :crazy:

• 3 months later...
[1b...]

No, that is almost a year old. That wasn't made up. Xanax  has been rescheduled, beginning in February this year

Don't worry, I won't take any more of your time. I have more important things in real life to worry about at the moment.

I won't correct anything else.

I have been thanked by many people privately for providing them with truth about the rescheduling and also drug info which I can access as my husband is a research fellow at a university so I have online access to MIMS (doctors' prescribing bible - updated each year).

LOL so why do you spend so much time on this forum.

The changes to the Benzo prescribing guidelines come out later this year. So unless you or your husband know my Dr or any of her colleges I am afraid you  are wrong again.

Gee I am so glad I dont choose to be addicted to drugs especially with all the changes that are happening.

[1b...]

Sorry, I  don't know how this got muddled up. I thought I was answering a moderator's query!! I will delete my post. It makes no sense!

Rubbish - the post you deleted was directed at me as usual!

Sorry, I  don't know how this got muddled up. I thought I was answering a moderator's query!! I will delete my post. It makes no sense!

I am only sorry I put that here.

My mother is very ill in hospital and I have spent most of the last 2 days there and been awake since 3am. i will delete this message as well when it has been read.

Oh by the way, thanks for the snipe about my cognitive abilities due to the fact that I choose to be addicted to xanax because I love it so much. I do not think I am lacking at all in that department.

I am stressed because I am worried about my 94 year old mother dying.

You are a nasty piece of work.

???