Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

so to close this off - gabapentin was definitely not the cause of my problems. in fact it helped me a lot. i skipped my morning dose yesterday, and did not feel better at all. i got the typical gabapentin w/d on top of my wave - mind racing, anxiety etc.

I suspect the culprit of my wave was valerian root which I took for a week. today it seems better. I will hold gabapentin a bit higher till I get back to my baseline, then settle at the minimum dose for me (300+300) and taper at some point later.

what is funny that I have no problems with gabapentin until I go under 300+300. couple months ago I dropped from 1800 to 600 in 1 day with no w/d whatsoever. but under 600 the fun starts.....

Hey Loc,

Hope it all goes well and your back on track in no time...

Incidently, my occasional one off low doses seem to be having a slightly increasing mini WD each time... could be a low V dose thing..?? Or just simply where im at on that day...??

All the best to everyone...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Group.  I was put on gabapentin as part of my detox protocol when I was cold turkeyed off of klonopin in a rehab facility back in May '15.  I have been on it since.  My dosage is:

7:00am 300 mg

2:00pm 300 mg

9:00pm 600 mg

I started tapering my 2:00pm dose by 100mg per cut.  I held for 8 weeks after my first cut (down to 200mg) and then held for 3 weeks after my second cut (down to 100mg).  My final cut for the 2:00pm dose was on  9/7, Thursday and now I am no longer taking an afternoon dose.  I started experiencing withdrawals on Tuesday,  9/12. 

I didn't experience any withdrawals from the first two cuts and was hoping to be able to eliminate my afternoon dose with no withdrawals but that isn't the case. 

Will someone please tell me how long I can expect these withdrawals to last.  I'm hoping to adjust to just two doses a day instead of three.  It would make my taper much easier to manage.  I know gabapentin has a very short half-life and that may be why I'm feeling this latest cut so much.  I want to get off this stuff because I think that some of the adverse symptoms I've been experiencing since c/t 27 months ago are being caused by it.

Thanks.

David

I took gabapentin for a month (1200mg) back in February when I got hit with acute from Xanax withdrawal. I stopped without any issues. I started again two months later to help with sleep. Stayed on it for three months. I tapered down to 200 mg before jumping off. A week later I got hit with bad dp that has lasted three weeks. Never had it before and I am almost a year off benzos. I'm scared this is never going to end. Is this permanent or will this go away with time? I hate this symptom! I have read too many scary posts about gabapentin withdrawal that never ends on other forums.

I took gabapentin for a month (1200mg) back in February when I got hit with acute from Xanax withdrawal. I stopped without any issues. I started again two months later to help with sleep. Stayed on it for three months. I tapered down to 200 mg before jumping off. A week later I got hit with bad dp that has lasted three weeks. Never had it before and I am almost a year off benzos. I'm scared this is never going to end. Is this permanent or will this go away with time? I hate this symptom! I have read too many scary posts about gabapentin withdrawal that never ends on other forums.

It will get better. Hang in there!

I am 18mo out from a c/t... my symptoms are still pretty horrific- one which is horrible cog Fog . I feel like my brain is deteriorating- it the strangest feeling and really disturbing. Im on 500mg of Gabapentin. 100mg in the morning, 100mg in the afternoon and 300mg at night .

I'm wondering being on it is hindering my healing?? I want so bad to taper it, however, I can't afford to play with fire...

I KNOW I have to get off it. Do I wait? Do I micro taper? Will I heal if I stay on?

If anyone can help guide me, I would appreciate it. I'm scared & defeated..

Feather333: I doubt that gabapentin hinders healing significantly. yes it has side effects, yes it has its own w/d. but I made tremendous progress in healing while on gabapentin, which is line what many people experience who are not on GB (huge improvement at month 9)

You can always start a super slow taper, thats what my plan is at least. will try to get compounding pharma liquid, as dissolving this pill is painful.

Thanks Loc :)

I do think it has been a blessing in disguise as I'm sure it's helped with sleep- But I'm really struggling with the Cognitive issues- its scaring me. I'm so tired of trying to figure out what is causing what-- I know my body is suffering horrifically already from the c/t-

I figure I will maybe start to turn a corner between 2-3yrs..

My mind just keeps going a mile a minute trying to figure out what I can do to speed my healing up.

Everyone Ive talked to says to Get off Gabapentin as it will not allow you to heal.

I just can't afford to be put over the edge..... grrrrrr

Thanks Loc :)

I do think it has been a blessing in disguise as I'm sure it's helped with sleep- But I'm really struggling with the Cognitive issues- its scaring me. I'm so tired of trying to figure out what is causing what-- I know my body is suffering horrifically already from the c/t-

I figure I will maybe start to turn a corner between 2-3yrs..

My mind just keeps going a mile a minute trying to figure out what I can do to speed my healing up.

Everyone Ive talked to says to Get off Gabapentin as it will not allow you to heal.

I just can't afford to be put over the edge..... grrrrrr

Hey Feather.

I hear you.  Our cases are different, but also similar.  I'm on gabapentin since the beginning of April.  While I have been on it for over 5.5 months, I've been tapering since 10 days after starting it.  I tried to taper faster sooner, but I think the waves of benzo withdrawal were crushing.  Now, I think I get gabapentin withdrawal if I taper it too quickly because I've been on it long enough. 

I'm actually micro tapering gabapentin and the current hold I am on (6 days) will end tomorrow and I'll start tapering again.  I had to hold due to symptoms.  I'm cutting more than 10 % per month, but less than the rate most people cut.  My current dose is 68mg 2X per day.  Most people jump before that dose.... oh well, we aren't most people.

I honestly am not sure what healing is taking place because gabapentin is a powerful drug that influences the CNS.  To me, I see it as providing me the long taper I never had.  That is to say, I can reduce it slowly so my CNS can adjust whereas after my benzo jump, I was such a basket case with physical symptoms and insomnia that I could no longer work (my work is high stress and analytical).  So, the gabapentin saved my job, I think.  But it comes at a price, too; I'm tapering it and am now at the lower doses which are harder for those of us who are sensitive.  I can't believe I'm feeling the effects of a 1mg cut per day per dose, but I do.

Anyway.  I think you can heal on gabapentin, to some degree, but since it influences your CNS, a slow and carefully managed taper is your best bet for long term healing.  As you know, gabapentin is notorious for losing its efficacy over time, so tolerance does exist for it.  That's why I started tapering as soon as possible.  I hope to be nearly off this stuff by Christmas..... who knows.

All the best to you, Feather.  :)

Thank you real for your insight....

I just have gut feeling that I at least need to start a micro taper- I've heard too many horror stories about that drug.

I'm just scared is all.. good for you that the end is in sight!! Are you tapering from the liquid Gabapentin?

Thank you real for your insight....

I just have gut feeling that I at least need to start a micro taper- I've heard too many horror stories about that drug.

I'm just scared is all.. good for you that the end is in sight!! Are you tapering from the liquid Gabapentin?

Hi Feather.

I am micro-tapering by dry-cutting.  I have bought a high quality milligram scale.  Feel free to ask me anything about my tapering process.

-RST

most drugs are poison, some are less toxic some are more. lyrica is much worse then gabapentin what I'm reading in general.

Gabapetin/Lyrica is a HELL!

I HATE THIS POISON!

most drugs are poison, some are less toxic some are more. lyrica is much worse then gabapentin what I'm reading in general.

Gabapetin/Lyrica is a HELL!

I HATE THIS POISON!

I concur, Locutus, from what I've been reading. 

-RST

I saw an old thread from 2011 and not sure the members are still around. I thought I would start a new one. I was given a cocktail of four drugs in detox to get off my 18 years of perscription Valium use.  I finally got down to just Neurontin. I had to get off the Neurontin  and I was successful tapering to 300mg, but then it got hard. I went down to 200mg then 100mg and stopped but after 7 days off I had to reinstae to 300mg. Symptoms way bad. I did this 4 different time. It was burning my face and ears and gave me spots all over my body. I finally quit it for good. I have been off this nasty drug for 19 days.  The wd was as  bad or worse than benzo. I had to push thru many sleepless nights and day 9 I was vomiting....

What sxs are/did you have?  Please share... Lexi you out there?

I had a host of hideous symptoms - all of those you mention - plus memory difficulties and weird neurological sensations (tingling, coldness, numbness) that sent me to the hospital for stroke testing several times. The Gaba withdrawal is a real b**ch.

I c/t Valium 4 weeks ago and have been trying to use gabapentin to help me with withdrawal. Gaba sometimes helps and other times nothing. Ive taken 200mg and it seems to help my nerves but i dont think it has really helped my anxiety. When i take it i dont know if im still suffering from withdrawal or side effects from gaba.

Really in a place today. Any suggestons?

You're brave to CT ..... I wish I could , I just daren't .

I would bet it's WD from the V , and not side effects of gabapentin . Everyone is different , but I never had a bad reaction to it .

Good luck Paul

MiYu

Thanks MiYu!

What dossage were you on and did you take it during the day?

It should be in my sig ... I need to add it . I was on 300 for some years, always at night . And then I had to raise it to 900 for other medical reasons pre benzo , still at night .

In the last year and a half I've reduced that to 360 mgs , still one dose daily . I tried it in the day and it always made me so sleepy .

I actually always liked gabapentin. , it seems To work for me .

Now there's a benzo in the mix it's a bit more complicated . But I still feel ok on it .

I'm not worried about getting off it , when I've reduced I have felt it , but the WDs don't seem to last that long .

Im leaving it at 360 as I've made it this far . I'll deal with it once off the dreaded benzo , which I can't get off for the life of me ... The WDs are terrible fro me . I'm now trying a combo of klonopin and Valium as the Valium was making me really sick .

The gabapentin supposed to help black glutamate too from what I've read , though I think magnesium can do that too . Mag and gabapentin don't get along though , so if you take it , take them 2 hours apart ...

I hope you do ok from here on out !

MiYu

Hi MiYu,

As you can see in my bio, I switched from Ativan to Valium to help me taper but I had a lot of problems and just decided to stay on it and also played around with my dosage. I went from 3mg to 1.5mg and thenvup to 6 and even 12. At the end I was mostly on 6 and 4. All the way though I felt awful and only had a few small windows. This is why C/T'd.  I have to admit the last few weeks have been tough except for the weekends but I'm still happy I jumped. I just hope I start seeing more windows and the phycological sfx get reduced.

I've been on gabapentin for ten years it seems to help nerve pain. I'm in severe withdrawl should I wait till that's over to taper the gabapentin?

Same here.  Finished Ativan taper 11 months ago, now it's time to go after the Gabapentin.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys did anyone get severe neck stiffness and brain zaps and while tapering this stuff I went from 300 mg 3 times a day to 400mg 2 times a day it's only a 100mg reduction but it's insanely hard on me. I made this reduction about 10 days ago and still haven't gotten better in fact it seems it's getting worse and if I miss a dose a few minutes off I 'm worse throughout the day like today the head shocks started only 2-3 hours of dosing. How long does it take to stabilize? I refuse to updose because I've done it before and only leads to more tapering and pain. Please your input is appreciated. :thumbsup: