Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

how is everybody doing?

I am nearly down to 300mg + 300mg. (down from 600+300mg).

yesterday I forgot to take my morning dose....and by 12pm i had a good dose of mind racing/anxiety. took 300mg and within 1h it was gone

this time I plan to get off this stuff for good, so once i get to 300+300mg I will keep it there for a month at least and stabilize.

Hey Locutus.

How fast are you tapering?  I was at 900 MG /day (600 at night, 300 in the am) and I cut 100 MG from my evening dose on Feb 24th.  I had pretty bad withdrawal symptoms for around 11 days and then started feeling better.  However, this past week I've been having a lot of increased brain burning and feeling lots of aggravation, cog fog and other crappy feelings.  I hope this is not my new baseline.  It's been over three weeks and the idea of feeling this crappy for the next year is not very encouraging.  I am planning on taking a vacation the last week of April so I won't be able to do another cut until early May.

I'm starting to believe that a lot of my bad symptoms over the past 18 months have been from the gabapentin and not so much from klonopin withdrawals.  If I didn't have to work and had the time to spare, I would seriously consider doing a rapid taper just to get off of this stuff.  I'm starting to feel like it is have a very toxic effect on me and is getting worse the longer I stay on it.

Daves: I cut about 25-50mg every 10days or so.

I would also suspect your symptoms are gabapentin related. I suspect my clonazepam symptoms are gone for good at 15months.

thats why I want off this stuff, considered a rapid taper as well, but that went south last time, so I am not rushing this time.

my plan is to make 25-50mg decrements till i get to 300mg or so, and then keep doing 10-20mg down

Hello All.

I've been holding at 147mg for about 3 weeks.  I'll make a cut again soon but I can't do big amounts now.  I do 1 mg every 3 or 4 days and I feel it.  I'll be tapering for a couple more years at this pace.....

Oh well.

-RST

Just wanted to say I’ve been tapering off Gabapentin for over a year now.  Started at 3600 mg a day, and am presently at 675 mg daily.  My jump from 1000 mg down to 900 caused a ton of withdrawal sx and I held for 2 months following that jump.  I’ve found that tapering 25 mg every 7 days has been much easier and caused fewer withdrawal sx.  Just wanted to suggest this for anyone who is struggling.  It seems the lower in dosage I go, the slower I need to go.

• 2 weeks later...
I am still feeling w/d from my cut on Feb 24th.  I had been feeling better for the past week but I overdid it physically this past weekend.  Yesterday morning I felt very depressed and today I am feeling really bad.  Burning brain, burning face and arms. Mild akathesia.  I hope I feel better tomorrow.

Hi Sherril2000.  How have you been?  I forgot that I had spoken to you in the past regarding gabapentin.  I am still feeling the withdrawals from my cut on Feb. 24th.  That was almost seven weeks ago and I'm worried that this is my new baseline.  Have you ever experienced withdrawals this far out after a cut?  Today I experienced something similar to benzo rage.  I got frustrated with someone at work and had to step back because the awful feelings of chemical induced rage were very powerful.  I don't remember feeling anything like this when I was detoxing from klonopin, but then again, I don't remember much of what happened.  That is, I can't recall the intensity of the feelings I was having back then.

Anyway, I'm still hoping to feel better but it seems like I have this constant feeling of poison going through my veins.  It's almost like the feeling I have experienced when I have had an MRI with contrast.  The feeling of the iodine going through the body is a little like what I'm feeling now.  It gets worse when I get stressed.

You mentioned that you were down to 675 mg daily now.  Do you take it in multiple doses?  How do you cut you medication?  Are you doing a liquid titration, using a scale or just eyeballing it?

I know that you mentioned taking magnesium helps but it doesn't seem to do much for me.

Thanks for your help.

Daves: what dose are you on now?

I noticed when I am getting closer to 300+300mg, my symptoms rev up, and they just stay there. at 300+600 i was feeling 'normal'

I am starting to think that below a certain dose, there is no stabilizing anymore. I am at around 300+400mg now and seriously consider a C/T and suck through it hoping it won't last as long as benzo....

I noticed when I am getting closer to 300+300mg, my symptoms rev up, and they just stay there. at 300+600 i was feeling 'normal'

I am starting to think that below a certain dose, there is no stabilizing anymore. I am at around 300+400mg now and seriously consider a C/T and suck through it hoping it won't last as long as benzo....

Hi, locutusOFborg!

Just adding my two cents. When you say there is no stabilizing, I have had a different experience. They started me on 900 during a CT from Kpin along with Librium (which I am micro-tapering now) I immediately cut 300 a few weeks after. Then cut 100 6 months later and had a nasty experience. Mind you, my body was still trying to come off of Klonopin and my CNS was a mess.

I am on 500 mg now and am on 11.16 mg of Librium as of today. I am pretty much "normal" today regardless of a few physical symptoms and am doing most of the things I did before benzos. When I am finished, my neurologist has prescribed me liquid gabapentin to take that as slowly as possible. So, I guess what I am trying to say is that you can stabilize. Even though you feel bad, I am somewhat relieved to see you "able" to work as I do fret about coming off of this stuff.

Hello locutusOFborg.  Before my last cut I was at 300mg am + 600mg pm.  I am now at 300mg am + 500mg pm.  This was only an 11% cut so I wouldn't think I would be having this much trouble.  I started feeling better at around day 12 or so and was ok for a few days but things then started getting bad again.  Today I am feeling more anxiety and the irritability I mentioned earlier (rage.)

I forgot to mention that I have also been on doxycycline (antibiotic) for the past 13 days.  I couldn't find much on the forum regarding adverse reactions but it could be adding to my problems.  My CNS is still really messed up from my klonopin c/t 35 months ago.

I understand what you mean by wanting to c/t the gabapentin and getting it over with.  That's what I did with klonopin and it really screwed me up for going on three years now.  I hear that c/t gabapentin can be really brutal too.  My detox doctors really did me an injustice by putting me on this stuff and not tapering me of it before I left the clinic.  I walked out the door with a prescription and a pat on the back.  Jerks.  Maybe I can sue them for a free month of inpatient detox.

Hey locutus.

Aaaahhhh, Gabapentin.  That sneaky little beast.  The key that I have found (haha, even though I am stuck at 147mg) is to really microtaper this stuff.  I think far more of us are suffering chronic HPA-axis disregulation than we realize.  This amplifies the withdrawal when we cut the gabapentin.  Every time my taper has gotten into problems I've found a correlation to an increase in physical activity prior to the crash.  As you probably know, physical stress can highly impact the HPA axis and cause disregulation in those of us who have compromised CNS's.  Attempts to stabilize and be gentle with one's body might be a way to allow the HPA-axis to regulate somewhat.  This might help when one returns to micro tapering.  I also think we've been cutting too much in some cases.  Right now, I am micro tapering gabapentin.

Anyway,

Just random thoughts.

-RST

Hey locutus.

Aaaahhhh, Gabapentin.  That sneaky little beast.  The key that I have found (haha, even though I am stuck at 147mg) is to really microtaper this stuff.  I think far more of us are suffering chronic HPA-axis disregulation than we realize.  This amplifies the withdrawal when we cut the gabapentin.  Every time my taper has gotten into problems I've found a correlation to an increase in physical activity prior to the crash.  As you probably know, physical stress can highly impact the HPA axis and cause disregulation in those of us who have compromised CNS's.  Attempts to stabilize and be gentle with one's body might be a way to allow the HPA-axis to regulate somewhat.  This might help when one returns to micro tapering.  I also think we've been cutting too much in some cases.  Right now, I am micro tapering gabapentin.

Anyway,

Just random thoughts.

-RST

Hey there Slim...

That makes sense to me..!!

I remember some of my posts following exessive exercise..!!

And that pre tapering, stopping GPN or lyrica was never a problem for me...

Anyways, my best to all...

:)

Just my two cents but No No No No. I had the same experience at 300 - it just seemed to get worse and worse, so I cycled down by 50 a week and then from 50 to nothing, and experienced protracted and unbearable withdrawal. Stroke-like symptoms, nausea and pain that sent me for all kinds of medical testing, horrible thought disorders, and insomnia. As bad as it seems now, it can get much worse. As difficult as it seems, a slowed down taper will take less time in the end - to get to healthy. Just my two cents.

I am trying to get off lyrica now. It helped for a while but then started making me feel depressed. I was probly averaging 600mg most days and dropped to 150mg cause I just wanna get off it. I feel shit but im not sure if its just benzo wd paws coming through again. Im 21 months off valium. Didnt really intend to get addicted to lyrica.

question, when do you feel symptoms after cutting GB?

I noticed when I cut GB, I usually don't feel much for couple of days. which is strange since GB has such a short half-life.

• 2 weeks later...
@locutusOFborg: On my last cut I started feeling symptoms the very next day.  The previous cut before that it had been by around day 5.

• 2 weeks later...

question to US based buddies:

anybody got gabapentin oral solution prescribed here? it seems that it comes at 50mg/1ml - 470ml bottle, which will yield 783mg/day for a month. would need 2 bottles.

i need to start taper properly....as I have absolutely 0 desire to prepare this myself.

wondering also if the insurance will pay this (got some decent employer based). will make doc apt soon

Hi Cantfly :smitten:

Now that I have the chance to read these lines, I kind of see a flash! Is there any actual relationship between symptoms and excessive physical activities?

Many thanks!

Now that I have the chance to read these lines, I kind of see a flash! Is there any actual relationship between symptoms and excessive physical activities?

Many thanks!

There certainly is with me.

It took me a long time to recognize the correlation as I was focusing on my cuts and trying to see a pattern there and then it dawned on me that the major symptom upticks were precipitated by periods of significant physical activity.

Now, I'm doing very limited exercise and just gentle walking and trying to make my way forward with cuts like that.  I've held for 2 months and am only now beginning to cut again.  I went from 147 to 146mg on Monday and so far so good.  Yaaay!!!  Just taking it really slowly.  I still have many symptoms but I'm managing to avoid being debilitated and that is my goal with continuing to cut.

-RST

Hi Realslimtaper :smitten:

Thanks a lot! Now I understand why I had rough moments during the night after a day of intensive trekking. My mind refused to think that physical exercise could harm when under certains health conditions.

Many thanks!

Hi..!

There is... For me and some others at least...

Its worse after a cut, or when unstable... obviously...

But it does take a bit, as you probably found...

I wouldnt want to put anyone off sensible or general exercise..!!

-It is a key to recovery..!!

Be well..

+1 on physical activity

I often times get anxiety spikes around 1-2pm. yesterday my morning was great, but around noon it started to go downhill. felt like adrenaline cortisol rush.

I forced myself to go on a 45min bike ride. I thought it will end badly in some panic attack....but guess what. the anxiety spike left totally and the rest of the day was great.

quick update for those who might be interested. I went to my general doc here, and asked for liquid gabapentin 50mg/1ml with a sufficient supply for my months need.

i got that filled at walmart. not sure how much it costs since my state insurance was still active this month which is free, but due to new job/employer insurance I will have to pay a bit.

my plan is to still fill the pills, and use the liquid to taper the last bit.

quick update for those who might be interested. I went to my general doc here, and asked for liquid gabapentin 50mg/1ml with a sufficient supply for my months need.

i got that filled at walmart. not sure how much it costs since my state insurance was still active this month which is free, but due to new job/employer insurance I will have to pay a bit.

my plan is to still fill the pills, and use the liquid to taper the last bit.

Glad to hear you are getting some options on the gabapentin scrips.  Just curious, but did you not want to water titrate your capsules (I am assuming you are using capsules)?  I find it very easy, although I'm really sick of doing it........

I mix up 300ml of water and the contents of 3 - 100mg capsules.  My ratio is 1 to 1; one ml of water is 1mg of gabapentin.  I mix it well at least an hour before I take any and then agitate it right before a dose to ensure the suspension is well distributed.  Gabapentin is readily water soluble.  Anyway, I draw off my dose and put the rest back in the fridge.  Seems to be working and I've been doing it now for 6 months.  It must be fairly accurate because I certainly feel it when I reduce by even 1mg per dose!!!

Anyway, good luck with your taper.  I know that I am an anomaly compared to most people tapering gabapentin so I'm sure you'll get down lower more easily than I have.  Right now, I'm at 48mg AM, 49mg Afternoon and 48 mg Evening.  Day after tomorrow I'll go down to 48 on the afternoon dose. 

-RST

Real: yeah, most people won't do that kind of 1mg taper as you I suppose....

Honestly I hate any type of titrating myself. and why do it when the pharmacy can do it lol. I could imagine the suspension is a bit better then at home with water.

will see....i might even catch up with you couple months from now....:)