Gabapentin (Neurontin) Withdrawl Support Group

[Is...]

Hi all,

Just a short note.  I am hanging in there and I have been completely medication free for 75 days. It is hell but still better than I was being on the drugs. I am keeping the faith. Please all keep together and we will win this fight and all be drug free. 

Robb... yes you can develop tolerance (I did) and I also got an allergic reaction too. But we are all different..

Hopefullgirl is right about timing. Also hopeful thanks so much for the warm thoughts......

Love you all..  Back to walking damn akasthsia........

Thanks islandgirl,

Akathisia was wone of the worst symptoms I had withdrawing from benzos.  I was so exhausted but was unable to relax at all.  I couldn't even watch T.V.  It's a hellish feeling. 

I'm very concerned about tapering gabapentin.  If it's anything like benzo withdrawal, I really don't know if I can do it.  I just don't know if I can go through anything close to that again.

Thanks islandgirl,

Akathisia was wone of the worst symptoms I had withdrawing from benzos.  I was so exhausted but was unable to relax at all.  I couldn't even watch T.V.  It's a hellish feeling. 

I'm very concerned about tapering gabapentin.  If it's anything like benzo withdrawal, I really don't know if I can do it.  I just don't know if I can go through anything close to that again.

Hi There,

Wanted to chime in based on my research...Yes, you can develop tolerance to gabapentin. I found a medical journal (can't locate it right now for some reason) that says that with "long term use tolerance does develop." Long-term use is defined at 4 weeks or more. There are also a lot of boards and forums of people who write about gabapentin and specifically about needing to take more and more.

I too am terrified of reliving the current nightmare I am in with benzo w/d. However, I am hoping that if I do a very, very slow taper I will be ok and it will not be as bad. No way to know though and I am scared. Part of me wants to heal from the benzo first but the other part of me just wants to keep going and get it all over with!

Hopeful Girl

I was going to ask if you can become tolerant of neurontin.  My husband is on it.

But I think the answer to that question was just posted above.

Thanks.  :)

Hopeful girl.......

When are you starting your GP taper?  I still need another month or two to stabilize.  My CNS is a mess still from my last failed taper.  Getting below 300 is really hard.  I may try to decrease by only 10 mgs at a time.

I sure understand about being scared. It is hard. I am still having a hard time, but I am doing better off the neurontin then being so sick while taking it. We can stick together. You all are such warriors and I am humbled being in your company.  When your ready we will go down the journey together.

Love you all.  IslandGirl...

I have a really bad case of Akathisia . Pacing can't sit still . Doc at the VA Prescribed Propranolol .5 mg twice a day and really works too . Little early to tell but it seems to help with my anxiety in my WD's . The VA does use it as a PTSD medication I do know that. But it does work for me . I'm going to ask my Doc about letting me use it 4 times a day to help with the WD's.

Hey Islandgirl-

I'm so glad to hear you are feeling better.

Did nuerontin make you dizzy?  My head feels like it's in a fish bowl.

I think I need to go back and read this thread before I ask more questions :-)

I start tapering nuerontin in two weeks.  Yikes!

Thanks for starting this post.

Hi Tracee,

Yes I believe the Neurontin made me dizzy. The room spins and it feels like I am on a boat rocking. The severity of the dizzyness is less now that off Neurontin. Dr called it Vertio and wanted to give me meds.  I am staying med free. I just have to deal for now.  I hope it gets better soon.  It is really hard...

Love IslandGirl

Island girl......

How did you manage to stay out of the hospital these past few months?  What does your typical day look like?

Do you think my wd sxs will be lessened if I only decrease by 10 mgs  a day?

Do you think I should split the dose into two and take it twice a day?

What have you done for anxiety, insomnia, and nausea?  How do you eat?  I think about you everyday.

:smitten:

Utah

Hi UtahGirl,

Thank you for thinking of me. I think about you too. It is nice to know someone really cares even when they do not need to. You are so kind and I know you can make it.

There are 3 things that have kept me out of the hospital. First is that I know they will give me lots of meds and it is the meds and the bad reactions that got  me where I am at today. I just don't want to poison myself any more besides I always have a paradoxal effect on any meds. Second Lexi65 has been a huge help for me to understand Neurontin wds. Third, my wonderful, loving, understanding husband has been the best. He always supports me and stays up all night with me if I need especial during those rants and raves.  I could not do it without him.

My typical day is not good, but it is so much better now that I am of Neurontin. I know it has helped some people but not me and those that it has helped have not tried to get off it. Its hard.  My typical day is trying to just make it thru the next day and trying to gain weight. I don't want to scare anyone but I am in bad shape.

I am so different than everyone I got off Neurontin fast because it was giving me such bad reactions. As far as a teper plan for you the rule of thumb is slower the better.

I have tried everything for anxiety, insomnia and nausea with little help.  I believe I do not have insomnia per se. My akasthsia keeps me walking and I am always reved up with no inner calm. Sometimes I can actually lay down. It is wonderfull not to walk, but I never seem to sleep much.

Here is what I am doing now to try and help everything. First I see a chiropractor who specilizes in kinesiology. I am hoping to restore flow and c1 vertebra so I can heal. Second I am using Chinese herbs to detox my liver.  It is slow and subtle, but natural and I can keep them down now. Third I am doing accupunction to help the detox process and try and get some calm. I have tried many things to heal my gut. Right now I am trying the GAPSdiet.  Not really a diet but more of a healing of the gut.

None of these things were possible when I was on Neurontin.  Not until my 2nd month off could I start them..

I hope this helps feel free to PM me any time... Love IslandGirl.

Thanks Islandgirl!

I am so glad to hear you have a string support system at home.

Thank you for sharing your input.  The neurontin taper I have ahead of me does not look fun, especially knowing how bad this clonazepam detox has been.

I wish I had not agreed to a rapid taper/detox but I'm this far.

I noticed you have been completely med free....how great is that?!!

Tall to you soon

Island girl.....

You really are one strong chic!  I really can't believe how long the withdrawal effects have lingered for you!  For me the nausea and anxiety are the worst.  I am still sick from my failed taper 2 months ago!  I had to reinstate, but I now only feel about 40% better!  I can't imagine the suffering that you must be enduring.  I hope that you are at least able to eat.  I still have trouble most of the day.  My doctor actually put me on zyprexa to get me to eat.

I think I still need to wait to taper again.  It may take a few more months to stabilize.  Then I will get gab in liquid form and only decrease 10 mgs every 3 to 4 weeks.

Have you tried any anti nausea meds?  I'm glad you found some alternative relief with acupuncture and with a chiropractor.  I think about every day!  I know how bad I was!  I ended up in the hospital!

Needless to say, I am scared to death to taper again.  And I understand that zyprexa is just as bad!

Hang in there!  I'm pulling for ya!

Xxoo

Hi all,

UtahGirl..... I am so sorry you are having a hard time. I truely hope you begin to see some relief. To answer your question I have not tried any ant nausea meds. I am just refusing to take any meds. Meds got me into this trouble. I did get so weak from vomiting and diaria that I finally had to go in to the Drs and get some IV. It was sugar, salt and water. I felt better after the IV. They eanted to give me some meds and I thru a fiit and made my husband watch the IV so they would not slip anything in.  Recently my acupuncturist suggested I try the GAPS diet for my tummy.  It is not really a diet but a way to eat that heals the gut.  I started a GAPS thread in the alternate therapy section. I sm on day 5now and it seems to be helping...  xxoo

BirdMan, I will go check my research and get back to you.  I do know there has been some pretty scary phenibut stories.

Love IslandGirl

Hi all,

To give some encouragement, today marks my 90 days off of Neurontin!!!  I feel so much better than I did when I was on it.  I have a long way to go, but I am doing it drug free. I want to give special thanks to everone for helping me and supporting me when times get really hard. A special shout out to Lexi65 because tomorrow is his 4th monfh of Neurontin.  Great job Lexi.

Hang in ther everyone you can do it.  Love you all  IskandGirl

Island girl,  glad u are healing. I noticed you were on depakote too. I recently started taking it. Did it help you? Wss it hard to stop? I heard bad things about gabapentin from a few friends. They also took it to get off benzos.

Hi Cool35,

I am almost 5 months of Depkote. This was the first one I got off because the Pdoc scared me and took blood samples all the time because she said Depokote could ruin your liver.

I was given Depokote in case of seisures. I saw no benifit in taking it. Matter of fact I was getting weird side effects from it.

It was easy for me to get off Depokote, it is Neurontin that kicked my butt and still is. You are correct to say Neurontin is BAD stuff.

Good luck and here is wishing some healing your way.  Love IslandGirl :smitten:

IslandGirl or Other Buddies,

Can you recommend a taper schedule for tapering off of gabapentin...300mg TID?  I trust my current doc (he seems to be aware of the dangers of benzos), but I would love to hear from those who have actually gone through it.  I've read that it can be tapered faster than benzos.

Thanks!

Seizures are the same reason they put me on depakote. I was thinking of taking it for about 10 days. I did a ct off 4 mg valium 6 days ago. I took phenobarbital for 5 days and now switched to depakote. I think the depakote helps me with withdrawals. I haven't been off valium very long but the depakote seems to make the withdrawal more tolerable. The phenobarbital didn't help very much at all. I'm just scared of getting hooked on the depakote. My friends both did water titration to get off neurotin.

From what I read, lots of people are trying to get off of N. while still on valium-- without anything else. If you get off of N. while still on valium the valium issues present themselves more fully as they were being covered by the N., but it is impossible to tell whether it is N. or not. N. has helped me in my valium taper--Perserverance was on it at 2100mg. It took her 3mos. to get it down. She did it slow and after began a month after benzo's were over. 

Ya I noticed the same thing about the Neurotin. Personally id be terrified to take it when still on benzos. My 2 friends were xanax abusers and took neurotin because some other drug addicts told them it was the only thing that helps. They quit ct though and started taking neurontin on the 2nd day off xanax. It was still rough for them but manageable. They tried to get me to do it with them but I was scared. I knew people in workers comp that were hooked on neurontin too. Didn't want to just trade one for the other. I might still be doing that with depakote, who knows. Phenobarbital made me sick and didnt seem to help much at all. Think I felt better once I quit taking it.

I was told to treat N like a benzo.  Taper no more than 10% every 3 weeks or so.  It does come in liquid form!

I'm very sensitive, so I plan to get it in liquid form and taper at 5% every 3-4 weeks.  I'm currently at 300 mgs.