Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Getting Off of Prilosec - Absorption Issues?

[or...]

Hello all!

I have been on Prilosec almost 5 years now, and feel like it is time to get off the stuff.  I understand that when one gets off a PPI like Prilosec, there is a 'rebound' effect concerning the production of stomach acid in which much larger than normal amounts of stomach acid is produced for awhile until the body re-adjusts without the Prilosec.

My concern is absorption; does anybody know if a dramatic increase in stomach acidity will decrease the absorption rate of the clonazepam I am currently taking?  I have read something to that effect out on the internet, but can't confirm it.  I am currently holding at .33mg of clonazepam, and am working on improving my overall digeston/nutrition before continuing with my taper.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks as always.....

Hi orange!

I am not aware of any problem with increased stomach acid and absorption of benzos. After all, it can be taken with or without food. Acid is there to break down food, particularly animal protein, and in itself doesn't really effect absorption either way, except that it renders your food more absorbable as it passes through the digestive tract.