Important Survey - Please Participate ×

the dentist..and can you use nitrus oxide in the proceedure?

[wh...]

having a tooth pulled or filled.....it is a wisdom tooth...dentist wants to pull it ..he can fill it but says he recommends pulling it..never had one pulled and I am frightened...

what is better when coming off a benzo..I am having a lot of trouble coming off the benzo...and lots of sx's the lower I go...worries me ...anyway...can I use nitros oxide..the laughing gas to calm me when I get it pulled or filled and what do u recommend...pulling or filling? 

thank you

If the dentist is recommending having it pulled, that is what you should do. I had all four wisdom teeth pulled. One won't be bad at all. You may require a mild opiate for pain after for a couple days but you may do fine with just some extra strength tylenol or advil and an ice pack.

Not sure if nitrous oxide interacts with benzos or wd. Not that I know of, and I wouldn't think so.

But if you are very concerned about it, you may just want to forgo it this time. 

Also, you might want to hold your taper for now, until after you get thru this procedure. No sense in adding to your anxiousness.  :)     

thanks so much.....ok so if I put the proceedure off it will be in the back of my mind anyway and I do not want my tooth to rot and get infected waiting too long. 

thanks

having a tooth pulled or filled.....it is a wisdom tooth...dentist wants to pull it ..he can fill it but says he recommends pulling it..never had one pulled and I am frightened...

what is better when coming off a benzo..I am having a lot of trouble coming off the benzo...and lots of sx's the lower I go...worries me ...anyway...can I use nitros oxide..the laughing gas to calm me when I get it pulled or filled and what do u recommend...pulling or filling? 

thank you

We've had a couple of members over the last year get nitrous oxide ("laughing gas") for a dental procedure and raved about it.  You can do a forum search by clicking on Forum at the top of the page and then go to the box with the magnifying glass to do the search.  And since it's a wisdom tooth, I say have it pulled.

OH Beeper..thank God it is okay to use...xoxooxoxoxoxxo this will help a great deal..ok out it comes with nitrous...xoxooxoxxo

Ok I went to the site and there was not much to read..a girl saying she was afraid and that after looking it up it gives you dp and other stuff but the other person says it is only temporary and when u stop breathing it ..it goes away...and that the pulling is not so bad..so that is good to hear..

another said they had a root canal and the gas caused them not to care...I want to use it..would like to hear more people say something...

thanks.

thanks so much.....ok so if I put the proceedure off it will be in the back of my mind anyway and I do not want my tooth to rot and get infected waiting too long. 

thanks

Actually I said to hold your taper til your procedure was over, not postpone the procedure! Get her done asap!  :laugh:

oh okay...see benzo brain ..not able to pay attention...sorry  :-\

anyway...ok here is what I did..I called an oral surgen ...cause my dentist said to call and ask about the nitrous oxide...I did and it is 2 miles from my house...he said it is ok to use with klonopin and does not go in the liver...so I could go there tomorrow...or wait till I go to my regular dentist that is good and that would be monday and it is 12 miles away...dunno which is better ...yeah I need to get it done...the thought of it has caused me a lot of anxiety...the woman said the sound of it is more frightening than pulling it and I had not thought of that and now more anxious..yikes...and she said they may want me to take antiobodics for 7 days ...amoxycillin...that is ok right?  I know some of the anti's are not good in wd.  so I should hold til after the proceedure and a few days after til I heal up?  they are talking about giving me a pain killer like a mild opiate but I should not take that either right...maybe asprin or what?

there are members here that have had to take opiates, and I don't know of any who had problems. You would probably only need it for a couple/3 days. Extra strength tylenol or advil may be all you need, so try that first. But at least get the prescription filled, it's good to have it on stand by if the otc's don't work for you.

Amoxicillin is ok to take with benzos and during wd. 

thanks..here is a question too...I am about to turn 56 and I have had no problems with any of my wisdom teeth even tho for years the dentists kept saying to pull them as I will have problems with them later...

well..then I am told it can be filled but later will have to be pulled later..why do they say that and should I take the chance and just let them fill it or go ahead and pull it if it does not have any use or does it?  it would be a hole in the back of my mouth.

thanks..here is a question too...I am about to turn 56 and I have had no problems with any of my wisdom teeth even tho for years the dentists kept saying to pull them as I will have problems with them later...

well..then I am told it can be filled but later will have to be pulled later..why do they say that and should I take the chance and just let them fill it or go ahead and pull it if it does not have any use or does it?  it would be a hole in the back of my mouth.

Hi whatalife,

I am 50 and have all my wisdom teeth and they all have been filled. I have been told to have them pulled for years with the same reason you have been told. If you are having no trouble with any of them, why pull them??

T2 :smitten:

Hey whatalife!  :)

I see you've gotten some answers to your questions!    :thumbsup:  I knew you would!

I'm with Theresa's thinking.  If it's not bothering you why pull them?

The only real reason to pull wisdom teeth, is to make room in your mouth if your jaw is too small to accomodate all of your teeth without making them crooked.  To answer your question about if they have a use...  yes, to chew just like all of the rest!  ;)

Hope you are happy with whatever you decide!    :hug:

Phyllis    :smitten:

thank you Phyllis & Theresa....

I guess I will keep my tooth then if the damn cavity is not too big now..geez....they keep saying in the future you will need to pull it anyway....I dunno why but maybe that is better and not so scarey.

xoxoxoxo

• 1 month later...

I know this is a little late but for future reference...............I just had a deep root canal done and had to use the nitrous oxide cause of my panic and had no after effects or problems.    I also did not take the Vicoden they gave me, since I just detoxed off hydro 90 days ago, but only used tylenol and motrin, I was fine.    I will NEVER use pain meds again............no more wd.    Always dr prescribed, and it doesn't matter, you think a dr gives it to you, and you are safe...................they don't know squat about meds. 

My pain management dentist didn't know anything about how to get me off meds, but he sure knew how to get me addicted!

Karen

This is also a late response, but perhaps others will benefit. I have no comment on drug interaction, but I have had all my wisdom teeth pulled, but not without difficulty ie for the dentist. The further into adulthood you go, the more the roots of the teeth become fixed into the bone. If your wisdom teeth are going to be pulled it needs to be done earlier on in life, unless of course a tooth is broken. As well, the roots go right to the base of your sinuses and sometimes cause sinus complications after the surgery. If sinus problems are one of your withdrawal symptoms, this could exacerbate that. I was in my late twenties when I had my teeth pulled. After the dentist broke the tooth off, he almost wasn't able to pull the roots out after several tries. Fortunatelly he tried once more and was able to get them. The procedure was entirely painless, but it would have been bad if he couldn't get the roots out.  I did manage to get by with advil and ice. It did leave a good amount of bruising though. Other than that, everything healed nicely.