• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [li...]

• [Di...]

• [bu...]

• [he...]

[00...]

Colin, Administrators, Moderators:

Please STICKY THIS THREAD to the TOP of "General Taper Plans"?

(it may not be perfect yet but it will get closer as time goes on and this information is SO hard to find on the forum)

Please take this request under consideration.

Thank you,

Penny

We just need to keep this thread active and since we have so much more information that will be posted...there should be no problem of it getting buried.

[00...]

LIQUID VALIUM THAT IS AVAILABLE IN THE U.K....DISCUSSION

Hi,

I will soon be diluting liquid valium (pharmaceutical).  I usually am given the sugar-free version (Actavis).  They have now given me the sugary version (Sandoz) which is also a different brand to the one I usually take.

I have three questions:

1.  Can you dilute both the sugar-free liquid valium and the sugary liquid valium with water?

I am not familar with Actavis or Sandoz. My liquid valium (PSM brand available in Canada) is 1ml=1mg, is bitter tasting, and I tolerate it well. It is a solution and can be diluted with regular water.

2.  Can different brands affect you differently (side effects, potency etc)?

That depends on your individual tolerance to a particular brand. We are all different in how we tolerate and if/what side effects we get. The potency is what is says on the bottle... if it is 1ml = 1mg, then that is what it is.

3.  How long does the dilute version keep for once made up?

With my liquid V brand, when I get below 1mgV in my MT, I will most likely want to make smaller cuts at times (.005) so I will dilute my liquid V solution with regular water. I will make and take my dose at that point by doing 1:2 ratio (will use a 1.0ml syringe) as I do not want to store it... it is just my thing. I can store my diluted mix at room temperature if I want.

Check out this thread with Zoner's posts re: Liquid V (Actavis and Sandoz):

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=65693.50

Hi Zoner

Thanks for your post. How do you cope with the brand changes?

My chemist could not control what brand I got, so I never knew when my brand would be switched.

Also, how do you dilute it, does it 'dissolve' easier in the water?

Hiya Journey. I got a prescription for 4 bottles of liquid diazepam which I'm using in addition to 2mg tablets. I haven't had a follow-up prescription, so all I know is the Actavis version.

I took a look at the difference between the Sandoz and Actavis.  From what I can see the Sandoz version uses glycerin as a solvent ..... but I don't know enough about these things to know if I have interpreted that correctly from the list of ingredients (see below).  Strangely I notice that glycerin is not mentioned as a solvent for diazepam here: http://www.pharminfotech.co.nz/manual/Formulation/mixtures/diazepam.html

I would guess the Sandoz glycerine version might provide a better mixed diluted solution with water than the Actavis version which I find has some sort of white blobby thing if I leave it to stand for a few hours.

Perhaps one of the more knowledgeable posters here can comment on the difference between the two formulations and which is better for diluting. Like you, I am microtapering so the dilution might be 1 part liquid diazepam to 10 parts water.

I will try and get my pharmacist to always order one particular brand from the wholesaler and not the other. I would be interested to know which you prefer?

-Zoner

UK LIQUID DIAZEPAM AVAILABLE ON N.H.S.

SANDOZ (2mg/5mL)  From http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/21714/SPC

glycerin

sucrose

microcrystalline cellulose

methyl-p-hydroxybenzoate

propyl-p-hdroxybenzoate

alcohol (96%)

sodium carboxymethylcellulose

flavouring agent (framboise 50969A)

ponceau 4R (E124)

potassium sorbate

purified water.

ACTAVIS  (2mg/5mL)  From http://www.medicines.org.uk/EMC/medicine/23964/SPC/

docusate sodium

magnesium aluminium silicate

propylene glycol

raspberry flavour

saccharin sodium

percol erythrosine (E127)

sorbic acid (E200)

propyl hydroxybenzoate (E216)

methyl hydroxybenzoate (E218)

sorbital (E420)

glycerol (E422).

Celeste...I hope this helps a little...if you have more questions, please post on this thread as more people who are using pharma grade Liquid V post here.

Best wishes,

Danni

Thanks,

Celeste

[00...]

LIQUID VALIUM AVAILABLE IN THE U.S.

Roxane offers 2 different versions of liquid diazepam.  Diazepam Intensol Concentrate is 5 mg per ml (5:1).  Diazepam Oral Solution  is 5mg per 5 ml (1:1).  They are different products, come in different packaging, and have different handling/dosing/storage protocols.

Anyone who is using, or considering using, Roxane liquid diazepam needs to be aware of the 2 different products, and follow the procedures for the specific product they are using.

As far as I know, these are the only two that are available in the U.S by a pharamaceutical company.

Wonderful thread!

Thank you so much to each and every one of you who are spending hours of your time in order to make this valuable information readily available to us all.

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q764/pennylane101/heartLittle.gif

Penny

Liquid Valium Available in Australia

To my knowledge there is only one brand available - "Diazepam Elixir" manufactured by Orion Laboratories.

Cost is currently around $40-$45 for a 100ml bottle which is a 10ml:10mg (1:1) ratio.

It should be easily obtainable from most pharmacies, but they may need to order it in as they don't generally keep it in stock. It should only take a few days to arrive.

Not a lot of doctors will know about the availability of a liquid valium, but my doctor found it quite easily when she looked it up on her computer.

Click on image to ENLARGE

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p606/liljoejj88/convertedilutiontechpg2of2DONE_zps64815170.png

The dilution of the 2mg:5ml liquid is a bit misleading. You need to use 2.5ml to get a 1mg dose.

For example, you would need to mix 2.5ml (= 1mg) with 100ml of water to get a 1mg:100ml solution.

More precisely, it should actually be 97.5ml (not 100ml) of water to get a total amount of 100ml.  For the 1:1 liquid it's probably not so crucial, but with the 2:5 you are dealing with more liquid to equal 1mg, so I think it should be factored into the amount of water that is added to make the complete mix.

To my knowledge there is only one brand available - "Diazepam Elixir" manufactured by Orion Laboratories.

Cost is currently around $40-$45 for a 100ml bottle which is a 10ml:10mg (1:1) ratio.

It should be easily obtainable from most pharmacies, but they may need to order it in as they don't generally keep it in stock. It should only take a few days to arrive.

Not a lot of doctors will know about the availability of a liquid valium, but my doctor found it quite easily when she looked it up on her computer.

Is that US$?  Sounds expensive. My Roxane 5mg=5ml diazepam solution $97-98 for 500 ml.  And yesm even in the US, many docs are not aware its available.

Is that US$?  Sounds expensive. My Roxane 5mg=5ml diazepam solution $97-98 for 500 ml.  And yesm even in the US, many docs are not aware its available.

Australian Dollars. It is expensive compared to the cost of tablets (AU$7 for the same quantity of mgs). However, if you have medical insurance that price would come down to around AU$33, but I can't be bothered claiming mine because I would only get $7 back.

It's difficult to compare the costs between America and Australia, because our average wages tend to be higher I think, so the cost of living tends to be higher as well.

The dilution of the 2mg:5ml liquid is a bit misleading. You need to use 2.5ml to get a 1mg dose.

For example, you would need to mix 2.5ml (= 1mg) with 100ml of water to get a 1mg:100ml solution.

More precisely, it should actually be 97.5ml (not 100ml) of water to get a total amount of 100ml.  For the 1:1 liquid it's probably not so crucial, but with the 2:5 you are dealing with more liquid to equal 1mg, so I think it should be factored into the amount of water that is added to make the complete mix.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:40:54 pm by Diaz-Pam »

Hello Diaz -

I get what you are saying. I have revised my chart. :thumbsup:

The more volume  =  more handling of the product = more variables= more inaccuracies ... ;)

Joe

[00...]

Australian Dollars. It is expensive compared to the cost of tablets (AU$7 for the same quantity of mgs). However, if you have medical insurance that price would come down to around AU$33, but I can't be bothered claiming mine because I would only get $7 back.

It's difficult to compare the costs between America and Australia, because our average wages tend to be higher I think, so the cost of living tends to be higher as well.

In Canada, my Liquid Diazepam (Phamascience) 1ml=1mg costs CDN$50.50 for 300ml, and, in my experience, not all pharmacies were able to obtain it. I had to source it at a compounding pharmacy in my area who were able to order it in for me. As far as I know, this is the only phamaceutical Liquid V available in Canada. For my tapering purposes, what is important is that I know that 1.0ml of liquid V = l.0mg of tablet V.