Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Anyone know anything about atarax?

[tr...]

Hi Everyone,

I've been asked by a member to post this question to the BB forum, she is having a difficult time staying on the computer because of the light.  If anyone can offer any help it would be appreciated.  Below is an excerpt from her pm.  Thanks!

A question, has anyone mentioned the drug atarax ?  I have been prescribed that for itchy toes.  It is also used for anxiety so I am leery although I could use something for anxiety during this stressful time,  However I am concerned.

I am having a reaction to the light from my computer as I write this.  If you don't know about atarax could I be so bold as to ask you to pose the question to our benzo buddies, I am afraid to take anything these days but the itching toes wake me from deep sleep. I can't stay on the computer long enough to ask this.

I use it in place of Benadryl. It works for my seasonal allergies and can make you sleepy... but that's about it. It has some anti-anxiety properties, but I've never seen that it works unless you're on a huge dose.

I know Colin had used it and did a search.  This was from Colin:

I have done a search of the forum (upper right hand box) for Atarax and here is a post from Colin regarding his usage of it....

Hi,

I don't get to read all the posts here these days, so missed your question to me - I just saw your shout!

I took Atarax (Hydroxyzine) because my sleep became so totally messed up. I took 12 doses over about 18 days. In hindsight, I might have taken it for a shorter period of time. I've taken the odd dose since, but I think this caused more problems than it cured. I think it is an option if you are very ill from lack of sleep, but I don't think I'd recommend it unless things are desperate. Any sleep aid tends to become ineffective with use, so I think I'll probably only ever take it again in the most desperate of circumstances.

It made me sleep, and I really needed it. It had an immediate effect (I was taking 25mg at night). My doctor mentioned that he could prescribe a dose for half the amount, but in his experience, 25mg was needed to do the trick. He seemed to get it right for me.

I don't know if there are potential problems with using Atarax and tapering off benzos. When I looked for information, I could find nothing that helped. However, I'm five years off Clonazepam, so I'm in different position to most people at BenzoBuddies.

I hope this helps.

My many thanks to Beeper, Petey, Colin, and of course one of our very best buddies, Tropicalsoul!  I don't know what it is but benzo withdrawal people are some of the most caring people in our society.

This information gave me enough confidence to try a dosage this afternoon, so far so good.  What still remains to be experienced is how it will react tonight with the amitriptilene I am on.  When I tried Benadryll it caused RLS.  We will see.

I am trying the Atarax to hopefully calm the incredible itching that happens only after I fall asleep.  I still get the pins & needles effect and I think this aggravates the Eczema into ungodly itching. 

I hope you all are well.

Thanks again,

Clair

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I was on Hydroxycine (in uk Atarax 10mg red pill/Ucerax 25mg white pill) when trying to haveNitrazepam free nights and the dosage was 50-75 mg which could be taken 3-4 times a day but i only took it at night and it seemed far stronger than the Benzo. It did lose its effectivness quite quickly and is very acidic on the stomoch but as an alternative to something like Ambian it is a good one in my opinion. Antihistamines will interact with sedatives and trycyclics and pain meds but as far as my experience goes it merely increases the sedative efffects but then I used to be a fan of that increase so maybe that isnt such a bonus really. good luck!

doctor who,

Thanks for your sharing your experience with Atarax.  Actually I was hoping that besides stopping the itching of feet I was experiencing at night that it would   add to the sedative affect of the elavil also, although I, as you do, know this is not a 'positive' reason, but I have gotten desperate to sleep through the night without having to put my feet in ice cold water or use gel packs to stop the itch and burning.  It didn't work though.  I think, for me, it made the burning worse.  I don't seem to be able to handle ANY medications.  Oh well!

clair

• 2 months later...
Justa quick note:  O tried Atarax for my oruritis.  It made me worse.  Then I did research and found it's a CNS depressant - just like benzos.  I stopped immedietaelty because it did not help the itching feet and overall pruritis.  Just ny two cents.

Missy,  I don't get around on the site as much as I would like, but I don't think I have read of anyone else having itchy feet.  I also have this along with a rash of tiny red dots, now heading up to my calves.  This rash left me about 2 months ago, after being there, mostly in winter, for 2&1/2 years.  It has come back just 1 week ago at 8 months off mark. 

Is there an accompanying condition with your itchy feet?  I would so appreciate hearing from you as this has been such a horrid sx, keeping me out of shoes for the most part.

Clair

I , of course, had the same experience as you with the atarax.