1mg xanax = ?mg valium?

[75...]

Hi Thrive

Sorry to hear you had to  have an operation.

I could go to the docs about peri-menopause but menopause will come anyway, whether its now or in future.

Estrogen and progesterone, are both, I think, contra-indicated in withdrawal as they make symptoms worse.

I would check this out for your own withdrawal, because  I would hate to see you suffer more due to the effects of HRT.

I think you may be able to take natural HRT, but if I were you  I would do a search on these boards to look up progesterone and estrogen and withdrawal.

It's good that you are going to take benzos slowly.

Thank you for the advice regarding physical addiction. I daren't take the painkillers for more than a few days because of fear of addiction.

I appreciate your warning and thanks for that.

Its 17.34 at the time I wrote this.

Thanks for asking how I am.

Feeling really scared today.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [jo...]

• [Fl...]

• [...]

• [zo...]

In this thread I included an email I wrote to aafp.org, because they, mistakenly said on their site http://www.aafp.org/afp/1998/0701/p139.html that 60mg valium is equivalent to 6mg xanax, when really 6mg xanax is equal to 120mg valium.

They replied and told me they would investigate it and would publish a correction if deemed appropriate.

Nothing has changed, but I don't feel I can be bothered to contact them again, as there are other errors in there also.

I wouldn't know what to say either.

I don't really understand their chart, especially the the figures in the diazepam 60mg conversion factor.

I feel guilty about this though, because if prescribers look at that information and prescribe based on it, they could risk serious and possibly life threatening symptoms to those on xanax (and any other benzodiazepine equivalent)

I feel mentally exhausted at the moment, because I have a lot of situational stress. Should I do something? I feel responsible

thanks

[75...]

Dear Journey,

I just emailed them myself (wrote a letter to the editor) reiterating the corrections that you already brought to their attention. I'll let you know what they say when/if they email me back.

Please don't carry this monkey on your back. You did what you could. Now I've backed you up by doing what I could. It would be nice to have control over sloppy & irresponsible articles such as these and other's website content but you've done all that you can do at this point. Just the fact that you wrote to them in the first place is to be commended.

much warmth and comfort,

T

[75...]

And here is their reply:

Dear ,

Thank you for your interest in AFP.  We have investigated the potential error that your colleague has pointed out and our medical editor has determined that while some agree that the ratio of xanax:valium is closer to 1:20, others agree that is 1:10.  Due to the lack of consensus on this issue, it does not warrant a correction.  We appreciate you taking the time to identify a potential error.  If you have any other concerns you can contact ______ who has been cc'd on this e-mail. 

Thank you,

American Family Physician

(names, titles, and contact info removed due to respect for their privacy but I assure you it was written by someone high on the chain)

I expected no less. Rest easy, journey -- you did what you could but they have their own stand on the matter and they're obviously not going to change it.

:therethere:

T

[d3...]

Hi,

Flip alerted me to your thread here as she posted a link to an article from 'Current Psychiatry, on a thread last night (my 'last night' - I live in Australia). It states an equivalency of Xanax to Valium as .5X = 5mg V.

I was overjoyed to read this as it would mean that my original fast taper of a few days from 4-5mg Xanax down to 30mg Valium (quickly corrected to 40mg equivalent but then rapidly dropped to 20mg) was not quite as bad. It would explain that I wasn't TOO bad at the time.

You might be interested in reading the article:

http://www.currentpsychiatry.com/article_Pages.asp?AID=10354

or the discussion on the thread:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=55230.0

Xana

[75...]

Hi Xana,

How did you feel during your fast taper from 4-5mg X down to 30mg V? Physically and psychologically?

I've often wondered how people have felt going lower on the V sub than the Ashton manual way but cannot find a thread on the topic.

Thanks!

T

[d3...]

Hi Thrive,

I started my rapid taper not knowing it was a rapid taper, in a private psychiatric hospital, on the advice of the psychiatrist I still see. I was very depressed and crying alot after a few months of family dramas and sickness that had left me feeling terrible an out of control. I chose to go to the hospital (first ever visit).

Once I was over the horror of actually going in, I quite enjoyed my stay. The psychiatrist just told me I needed to come off Xanax as, after a long period of time, it exacerbates anxiety. I was OK for the 3 days in hospital (except for the sickness caused by the 2 only Cymbalta I took). I had alot of support with my husband staying with me most of the 3 days, visit from my daughter and trips to my son's place. The company of other patients also helped. So I was quite positive when I went home after 3 days on 2mg Xanax and 10mg Valium (=50mg Valium - basically half dose cut in 3 days).

I expected to suffer. I did. I craved Xanax to ease the awful anxiety that started up. I had little appetite. I was unproductive. I cried. I paced the house. I tried to do housework. At the end of 3 days I called my psychiatrist, as directed (I had his mobile number for emergencies as well). He was shocked I was feeling bad. I said I'd expected it. He said I shouldn't be feeling that bad doing it 'this way' which I thought meant 'slowly'. He told me to double my Valium dose so I was back to 60mg V equivalent. This helped immediately. I was able to go to an appointment with my oncologist, drove myself to do shopping. Did some minor housework. Had a bad 'anxiety. cough'.

I was having nightly calls from the psychiatrist, and on the 3rd day after the Valium updose to 60mg V equivalent, I was instructed to cut the X to 1mg, so down to 40mg V equivalent. It seems strange to me now that I wasn't afraid of all this, as I would be now. I just did what I was advised and plodded on. I have written in my notes that I felt 'tense', but I visited my mum, did washing, changed beds, cooked dinners, had sex (ONCE), visited my son and his family at the beach (and walked along the sand crying my eyes out). But I think I had HOPE that this withdrawal would be over and done with soon and I'd best get on with life in the meantime.

After  a week on that dose I cut the Xanax to .5mg. So that was down to 30mg V equivalent (in just over 2 weeks from the start). I was extremely anxious before seeing my family for a Mother's Day picnic. I had to go for a long walk to compose myself. They all were aware of what was happening with me. I was driving, shopping, cooking, doing a bit of cycling on the stationery bike. Basically doing OK.

Five days later and I was off Xanax completely and just taking the 20mg Valium (10mg am and 10mg pm). Carried on with normal activities: driving, shopping, cooking, doing work at one of our holiday units ready for permanent tenants. Usual meltdowns about life stuff and lots of headaches but OK.(So the crossover took 2 1/2 weeks.)

One week later I was down to 17.5mg V. No dramas. Bit of depression - well, probably quite a bit but we did have flooding of the kitchen and living room from the dishwasher. The 'live animal export' expose was troubling me and I was aching badly (fibro) etc - in a word, LIFE).

One week later I was down to 15mg V. I was crying in bed a bit (mention of looking 'puffy-eyed and disgusting' in my notes). Tired and achy but functioning. Went out to a day of listening to bands and environmental stuff.

Next week (now up to 7 weeks after start of taper) I was down to 12.5mg V. Depressed but still going out, visiting family for dinner, going out for lunch. Sore with headaches but was used to these symptoms anyway.

By week 8 I was down to 10mg Valium. I have circled this in my notebook and put an arrow with 'downhill' next to it. The rest has been a struggle. I updosed a few times and there are notes like 'SO OVER THIS CRAP' and 'These are the worst days of my life.' etc. It took me from July 28, 2011 to April 13, 2012 to get to 1.25mg V from that 10mg V. Miserable all the way though but still fighting all the way to keep going out, keep seeing my family, keep my hair blonde, keep shopping. To accomplish this I started using a small amount of Xanax for big, important things like Christmas etc.

Just over 3 weeks ago I caved and decided I was just exhausted and miserable from all the struggling and now am taking .75mg Xanax again. The psych is still OK with this and assures me I can still do it. (He said, 'At least you've quit the Valium'. Bless.) Don't know if I want to but after a 'rest' I guess I will.

You probably wanted a short answer so sorry for this long one. I just wanted to explain properly.

The short answer is that the first part was the easy part. I must add that I have an extremely supportive, semi retired husband to pick me up if I fell. I did not read Ashton or join a forum until after this first period.

I have told my psych that I am mad at his bringing me down so quickly but I am not any more. I am glad. Sometimes I think this last 8 1/2 months was a waste of time and life but I guess I am on a much lower dose of Xanax (about where I started all those 17 years ago). I am also glad that I pushed myself to keep doing most of the normal things in life in between crying on the bed and coughing my lungs out. (We won't mention the state of the house!)

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Sincerely,

Xana

[75...]

So I was quite positive when I went home after 3 days on 2mg Xanax and 10mg Valium (=50mg Valium - basically half dose cut in 3 days).

Does that mean that you were on 4mg of Xanax when you went into the hospital?

He told me to double my Valium dose so I was back to 60mg V equivalent. This helped immediately.

Were you still on 2mg Xanax and 10mg Valium at this time?

It seems strange to me now that I wasn't afraid of all this, as I would be now. I just did what I was advised and plodded on.

I often think that the "ignorance is bliss" idea is often more beneficial to people going through benzo w/d than the other way around. 

....I was down to 17.5mg V. No dramas. Bit of depression - well, probably quite a bit but we did have flooding of the kitchen and living room from the dishwasher. The 'live animal export' expose was troubling me and I was aching badly (fibro) etc - in a word, LIFE)......

........was down to 12.5mg V. Depressed but still going out, visiting family for dinner, going out for lunch. Sore with headaches but was used to these symptoms anyway.

This is truly amazing to me. Down that far, that fast, and still nothing completely overwhelming to you.  :o

By week 8 I was down to 10mg Valium. I have circled this in my notebook and put an arrow with 'downhill' next to it. The rest has been a struggle.

It seems that this is where most people get hit -- down at very small doses, that is.

Just over 3 weeks ago I caved and decided I was just exhausted and miserable from all the struggling and now am taking .75mg Xanax again. The psych is still OK with this and assures me I can still do it.

Is the X working for you at such a low dose?

(He said, 'At least you've quit the Valium'. Bless.)

ooooppssss?

I did not read Ashton or join a forum until after this first period.

Quite possibly this is why you don't have as bad of a horror story as most? I don't know. I think it depends on the person, really. How suggestible one is, I mean. What do you think?

Sometimes I think this last 8 1/2 months was a waste of time and life.............

NO! It was not a waste at all. Not in my opinion anyway. I think it's wonderful that you're dose is down so much! I'm proud as a peacock for you and am hoping that I can follow in your footsteps...even if I don't make it all the way down to jumping.

Xana, thank you so much for taking so much of your time out to tell me your story. I know how long it takes to write posts such as yours and I'm grateful to you. I can only hope that, even though your journey has not been a pleasant one, mine might be similar. It's sounds so much more preferable to others that I've read. I'm not undermining your experience at all...not at all!...but it's not chock full of HORROR, HORROR, HORROR and that, in itself, gives me hope.

you're wonderful. thank you with all my heart.

much warmth,

T

[d3...]
Does that mean that you were on 4mg of Xanax when you went into the hospital?

Yes I was. 4-5mg Xanax. A couple of months earlier I was taking 6mg per day for a few weeks while I got through a drama with my 23 year old daughter urgently needing an operation, stranded in a flooding regional area. We had to fly up there and go through all sorts of dramas to get her airlifted back to our capital city. After the worst of it all, I quickly reduced my dose back down, but was not coping well at all.

Xana

Dear Journey,

I just emailed them myself (wrote a letter to the editor) reiterating the corrections that you already brought to their attention. I'll let you know what they say when/if they email me back.

Please don't carry this monkey on your back. You did what you could. Now I've backed you up by doing what I could. It would be nice to have control over sloppy & irresponsible articles such as these and other's website content but you've done all that you can do at this point. Just the fact that you wrote to them in the first place is to be commended.

much warmth and comfort,

T

Thanks Thrive, that makes me feel a lot better.

It was at the back of my mind, and unfortunately I forgot this thread until now.

Best of luck, and please let us know if you get a response.

It's good that two of us have written the same email to them.

It would be great if more could if they dont respond to your email.

[d3...]

If you are writing about the equivalencies of Xanax and Valium, how can you be sure that research hasn't indicated that the ones they are now quoting are not the correct values and the 20 year old ones were incorrect?

I would expect equivalencies to vary between individuals. There is a lot of trial and error to this withdrawal business, huh?

[75...]

I would expect equivalencies to vary between individuals. There is a lot of trial and error to this withdrawal business, huh?

I think you're absolutely right, Bart. I know that if I were crossing over with any less than 10mg V per 0.5mg X it wouldn't be enough. I can feel myself right on the edge, if that makes any sense. In other words, any less and I'd be in w/d that would be too rapid for me.

I suppose I have developed a very high tolerance after so many years on X.

T

[d3...]

Hi Thrive,

I just saw your post from the 15th May! Don't know how I missed it because I have this thread on 'notify'.

Thank you so much for your words of praise on my getting lower down on Xanax at least. I am functioning pretty well on that dose of .75mg. Occasionally I take 1mg in a day, but in the old days I thought nothing of taking an extra mg or two if I had to do something that caused me anxiety. My GP thought this was quite reasonable.  ;D At first I was so excited to have the dreadful anxiety symptoms gone and go to a loud rock concert etc, I was on top of the world. As the weeks wear on, I am feeling a bit down and very lethargic about doing jobs. However the fibro plays a big part in this as I get sore so quickly. It's easier to flop down here!

I've cut out the Panadiene Forte (codeine/paracetamol) completely - tapering fast in the two weeks from crossing back to Xanax. My shrink agrees that this might take a month of feeling 'off' for my body to get used to it. I had daily headaches until yesterday and was more depressed and achy. Once that 4 weeks is up I will tackle the big X.

My mouse is playing up and won't let me copy and paste at the moment (or spell check) - don't know why as it works everywhere else but here.

So re your question about if I was on 2mg Xanax and 20mg Valium to make up the 60mg Valium equivalent - yes I was.

I don't know if ignorance is bliss. I think it maybe just gets harder the lower you go. It seemed ridiculous to me to give in the fight at 1.25mg Valium but I was just so exhausted from it all. It is so great now that if I get an invitation or see something I want to attend that I can confidently plan to do it. I appreciate that so much now. Ultimately I am hoping that I will be able to do this without any Xanax at all. That's the forward plan anyway. ;)

Thank you so much for your gracious appreciation. I am happy to spend time answering if it helps. I'm just sorry I didn't see your response until now!

Best Wishes

Xana  :smitten:

[75...]

That's okay, Xana, I lose track of my posts all the time. I still don't really know how to maneuver my way around this forum yet. If I had more time and less interruptions then maybe I could learn the ways things work around here faster. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually.

So, what week are you on now re: the 4 weeks until tackling the X again?

I'm so glad that the 0.75mg is helping you and giving you such relief and a much needed break. From way up here where I am, I can't imagine even feeling 0.75mg. You have so many reasons to be proud of yourself. Look how far you've come!

It's hard for me to get my head around your taper. It reads like the blade of a graduated saw. Up, down, up, down, up, down...but still going lower and lower all the time. But it doesn't seem to have hurt you or your progress so maybe it's yet one more mystery to put into the pile of mysteries surrounding benzo tapering.

As far as the Panadiene Forte goes, are you having w/d's from stopping that? I don't know how long you've been taking it but from personal experience (vicodin) I know just how hard it is to w/d if you've been on it for an extended period of time.

much warmth,

T

If you are writing about the equivalencies of Xanax and Valium, how can you be sure that research hasn't indicated that the ones they are now quoting are not the correct values and the 20 year old ones were incorrect?

I'm going by Heather Ashtons tables.

I would find it very hard to believe that she would get it wrong, but I don't know where she got her data, and I also dont know where the other people got their data.

Also, I wonder how many people have done crossovers from xanax to valium, and not got enough valium, and wonder if they really suffered.

This caught my eye! Are we talking about equivalency tables?

I've looked and looked and cannot find substantiating documentation on which table is accurate.

However, in one day I went from 6 mg K to 30 mg Valium. I assume my doctor got this conversion factor from some table somewhere. I didn't know the difference....until a couple of days later. OMG!!! Yes, too little Valium and YES, much suffering. It was I humane.

My two cents.

:smitten:

Flip

This caught my eye! Are we talking about equivalency tables?

I've looked and looked and cannot find substantiating documentation on which table is accurate.

However, in one day I went from 6 mg K to 30 mg Valium. I assume my doctor got this conversion factor from some table somewhere. I didn't know the difference....until a couple of days later. OMG!!! Yes, too little Valium and YES, much suffering. It was I humane.

My two cents.

:smitten:

Flip

It sounded suspiciously liek your doctor used the conversion table that was on the site of the people I emailed, mentioned in earlier post on this thread.

This is the reason I emailed them, to avoid people going through experiences like you.

If the ashton equivalency table had beeen used by your doctor, you would not have had to suffer as bad as you did.

[d3...]

Hi Thrive,

As far as the Panadiene Forte goes, are you having w/d's from stopping that? I don't know how long you've been taking it but from personal experience (vicodin) I know just how hard it is to w/d if you've been on it for an extended period of time.

I stared halving my dose of Panadeine Forte on the day I treated myself to going back to Xanax. So that was from 2tabs (=60mg codeine) to 1 tab (=30mg codeine). I then cut by quarters to finish completely after 19 days from the start. On the second day I started getting headaches, generally worse aching and feeling more depressed. I felt I had no hope for ever recovering from this mess. After 5 days I started to feel better but still getting daily headaches (for which I took Aspro Clear).

12 days after completely stopping I had my first day of no headache. I am on day 15 and have not had a headache for 3 days. My shrink told me last Friday that the codeine would be out of my body but it will take a month to be over the side effects. He then offered me a slow release opiate and gave me a script for Luvox (ssri). I refused the painkiller but was glad he at least acknowledged my pain. The prescription hasn't been filled but I am still considering it as it potentiates Xanax and i am thinking it might help me get off Xanax.

I was discussing this with my 24 year old daughter and asked her opinion. She said she thought I should wait the month to see how I felt as I may not be able to distinguish between the codeine effects and the antidepressant. So wise.

By the way, I don't hold all this info in my head. I note down each day what I take and feel like. I call it my 'Hypochondriac's Diary'. It is bright pink and has a smiley face cut out of the plastic cover. I thought it would annoy the hell out of me but it doesn't. And I haven't even drawn in the cut out spaces - I am a compulsive doodler!

Re your taking Vicodin. I think this is a much more hard core drug. I should imagine it would be harder to get off. The only thing I know about it is that Dr House in 'House' is addicted - for good reason.

I have been taking codeine for so long - first in its lower dose in Panadeine (about 10mg codeine per tab). I was given the Forte version for migraines, but then started taking just one in the morning for fibro pain (told GP and he was fine with it). Dose crept up to 4 tabs per day sometimes at the beginning of last year. I cut that in half when I started the withdrawal taper, even though the psych said it was OK to take that much.

I laughed when I saw your description of my taper as like a saw blade! I must put it on a graph!

.75mg X wouldn't have done anything for me in the bad old days either. I probably started on some minuscule dose and was always trying to cut down but it didn't control my symptoms too well.

Long answer to short question AGAIN. Can't help myself! Short answer: I am half way through the month off codeine.

Best Wishes,

Xana

Hi Thrive,

I stared halving my dose of Panadeine Forte on the day I treated myself to going back to Xanax. So that was from 2tabs (=60mg codeine) to 1 tab (=30mg codeine). I then cut by quarters to finish completely after 19 days from the start. On the second day I started getting headaches, generally worse aching and feeling more depressed. I felt I had no hope for ever recovering from this mess. After 5 days I started to feel better but still getting daily headaches (for which I took Aspro Clear).

12 days after completely stopping I had my first day of no headache. I am on day 15 and have not had a headache for 3 days. My shrink told me last Friday that the codeine would be out of my body but it will take a month to be over the side effects. He then offered me a slow release opiate and gave me a script for Luvox (ssri). I refused the painkiller but was glad he at least acknowledged my pain. The prescription hasn't been filled but I am still considering it as it potentiates Xanax and i am thinking it might help me get off Xanax.

I was discussing this with my 24 year old daughter and asked her opinion. She said she thought I should wait the month to see how I felt as I may not be able to distinguish between the codeine effects and the antidepressant. So wise.

By the way, I don't hold all this info in my head. I note down each day what I take and feel like. I call it my 'Hypochondriac's Diary'. It is bright pink and has a smiley face cut out of the plastic cover. I thought it would annoy the hell out of me but it doesn't. And I haven't even drawn in the cut out spaces - I am a compulsive doodler!

Re your taking Vicodin. I think this is a much more hard core drug. I should imagine it would be harder to get off. The only thing I know about it is that Dr House in 'House' is addicted - for good reason.

I have been taking codeine for so long - first in its lower dose in Panadeine (about 10mg codeine per tab). I was given the Forte version for migraines, but then started taking just one in the morning for fibro pain (told GP and he was fine with it). Dose crept up to 4 tabs per day sometimes at the beginning of last year. I cut that in half when I started the withdrawal taper, even though the psych said it was OK to take that much.

I laughed when I saw your description of my taper as like a saw blade! I must put it on a graph!

.75mg X wouldn't have done anything for me in the bad old days either. I probably started on some minuscule dose and was always trying to cut down but it didn't control my symptoms too well.

Long answer to short question AGAIN. Can't help myself! Short answer: I am half way through the month off codeine.

Best Wishes,

Xana

Xana

What did your psychiatrist mean by "side effects of codeine" please?

How did you feel when you first came off codeine?

How are you feeling now it has been 2 weeks?

I am asking because I take codeine and am worried about a month of suffering.

Thanks

[d3...]

Journey,

What did your psychiatrist mean by "side effects of codeine" please?

I just told him I had been feeling more depressed, more achy and had been suffering daily headaches. He said it was probably from the cessation of taking codeine. I think, from what I've read, that if I had tried to get off it suddenly or from a much larger amount that some people take, I would have suffered more severe symptoms. Compared with cutting back Valium it was nothing.

How did you feel when you first came off codeine?

When I first started cutting back I was surprised that I didn't feel much different BUT while I was on low dose Valium, the codeine was definitely helping with the anxiety and general feeling of unwellness. The psychiatrist had told me to stay taking the codeine until I was off Valium. I had switched to the .75mg of Xanax the day I started to cut the codeine so this updose probably helped me.

How are you feeling now it has been 2 weeks?

The last 3 days have been pretty good. Headaches are gone (for now - I am a lifetime sufferer of headaches so I am not expecting miracles). I have been doing heaps more exercise (really pushing myself) and been going out - walking in the Million Paws walk for the RSPCA, out for lunch twice, taken my dog for a walk, taken my mother to the doctor, been shopping twice, dug 4 holes and planted my Mum's Mother's Day plants......and I am aching LESS (touch wood).

I felt depressed this morning after bad dreams and had a bit of a cry but I recovered pretty quickly.

I am asking because I take codeine and am worried about a month of suffering.

I guess it depends on what amount of codeine you are taking. For me, at the moment, this has been so much easier than I thought it would be. I will certainly use Panadeine Forte for severe headaches in the future and hopefully it will work really well, like when it was first prescribed. No more daily use though. When I started I just thought it was a painkiller - foolishly did not realise it was a mood enhancer.

Good luck with whatever you decide.  :)

Xana

Thanks Xana

How much codeine were you taking?

I take high doses but only every 2 days.

I am ok the first day off it, well, not ok, really low mood that I cannot shift, but when I try not to take it the next day the moods get worse.

I suffer no physical effects from not taking codeine, just the emotional thing is really hard

[d3...]

For the past year I was taking 60mg codeine per day (used to take 120mg for a while before that). If I had a bad headache I would take an extra 60mg.

How much are you taking?

[75...]

Xana, you amaze me. I don't know your history very well, you many have had some really tough times with w/d, but from what you've written to me about your experiences with both codeine and xanax w/d's you seem to be getting through it all remarkably well. That makes me so darn happy for you and so darn hopeful for me. Thank you for being so open about your life and for sharing it with me. If I'm lucky, maybe...just maybe, I'll get through this with my head as intact as yours.

T